Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Don't Bring Your Toys From Home!!
Punkin.Butts 07:24 AM 01-03-2014
two DCK's constantly bring toys from home and then won't share them with my kids or any other dck's. I always take them away as soon as mom walks out the door but they NEVER TAKE THEM HOME! the mom just says, oh keep it here for them to play with!
I have enough toys I don't need other peoples that I need to care for and maintain the value of on top of my own!

Not to mention, this mom knows that we eat lunch at 1230 sharp. she'll walk in at 1210 with the kids eatting mcdonalds fries or cookies and then expect them to eat a good solid lunch? NOT going to happen! however, they WILL sit at the table and follow all the rules just as every other child does/will. I take the items mom brought with them AWAY and put them on the counter and tell them they can have them bck AFTER lunch.
melonieb 07:33 AM 01-03-2014
I have a kid that brings in toys at drop off. I collect them at the door and hand them to mom. I told all parents, that they pleased do not bring toys to daycare. Happened two times and never again.
Leigh 07:52 AM 01-03-2014
If Mom wants you to keep them there, then I would say they are "daycare toys" to be shared by all. If that doesn't work for her and her kids, simply insist that they go back home and stay there.
Blackcat31 07:53 AM 01-03-2014
I implement the "Hotel California" rule with anything brought from home.

They can check in, but they can NEVER leave.

Once a toy is brought from home into my daycare home, it becomes my personal property.

If the family/child isn't giving it to me, leave it at home or in the car.

I've used this rule for years and it has worked for years.

Occasionally, I have been "given" some awesome new toys but NEVER from the same family twice.

My handbook DOES address this in detail so ALL parents know this rule ahead of time.
Cat Herder 08:03 AM 01-03-2014
1. two DCK's constantly bring toys from home; I always take them away as soon as mom walks out the door

2. they NEVER TAKE THEM HOME! the mom just says, oh keep it here for them to play with!

3. this mom knows that we eat lunch at 1230 sharp. she'll walk in at 1210 with the kids eating McDonald's fries or cookies; I take the items mom brought with them AWAY and put them on the counter and tell them they can have them bck AFTER lunch

I am going to be brutally honest because I don't have enough time to sugar coat a response right now.... YOU are the issue with this, not the Mom.

Parents will only treat you and your program with the respect you DEMAND of them.

Passive aggressively taking the items AFTER the Mom leaves, does nothing but allow this issue to fester.

When she brings toys in, hand them back to Mom. When she brings food in, hand it back to Mom. Problem solved.

Others can tell you I say this from the heart... I promise I do. I learned this the hard way, too.

I am off to vacuum debris from a massive glitter tornado... wish me luck.
Unregistered 09:41 AM 01-03-2014
I have in my contract not to bring toys from home. Your child is allowed to bring a blanket or special stuffed animal from home for nap time. The items will be put into their cubby until nap time. I am changing this in my 2014 contract. This one family (1 day a week) does follow the rules but my contract has holes for them to pass by. The stuffed animal is a fur real pet, some kind of cool noise making stuffed animal, the new stuffie pets, a animal with a zipper that is also a coin purse exc. It is usually a different animal every time. So they aren't technically breaking any rules. That's going to be changing to something like only stuffed animals that don't make noise or move! Lol!
daycare 09:48 AM 01-03-2014
UGH>>>

I had this happen this morning with a DCM that has been with me for 3 years. Her DCB walks in with a toy and says can the toy stay it's new, he just got it for christmas and does not want to leave it at home.

I don't care how much it cost, how new it is or where it came from, all toys that come in my home go straight to the trash can. DCM knows my rule.

The toy did not make it past the foyer of my home
Mac's Mom 09:52 AM 01-03-2014
What drives me nuts is when I do take it and put it away the mom or dad say "Sorry Bobby wouldn't let me take it away!" Um who is the parent?
Naptime yet? 10:02 AM 01-03-2014
Yes! I had toddler bring a balloon & at pickup dad said, "I had to give him a bath with that last night because I didn't want to hear him scream." Exactly. And btw, he didn't scream when I took it away from him as soon as mom left that am.
itlw8 10:14 AM 01-03-2014
Originally Posted by Punkin.Butts:
two DCK's constantly bring toys from home and then won't share them with my kids or any other dck's. I always take them away as soon as mom walks out the door but they NEVER TAKE THEM HOME! the mom just says, oh keep it here for them to play with!
I have enough toys I don't need other peoples that I need to care for and maintain the value of on top of my own!

Not to mention, this mom knows that we eat lunch at 1230 sharp. she'll walk in at 1210 with the kids eatting mcdonalds fries or cookies and then expect them to eat a good solid lunch? NOT going to happen! however, they WILL sit at the table and follow all the rules just as every other child does/will. I take the items mom brought with them AWAY and put them on the counter and tell them they can have them bck AFTER lunch.
glad you made it here . Girl you have GOT to learn to say no make a sign and practice......Well three things

NO

I am sorry that won't work for me

Let me get back to you on that.

So speak up and tell them. Post a sign on the door and point to the rule as you say No and hand it back to mom.

Meg
Josiegirl 10:18 AM 01-03-2014
I'm probably the only one here who does allow dcks to bring toys from home.
My rule is, if it becomes a problem, up it goes until the end of the day. My little 3 yo dcg brought in a really cute toy this a.m., just got it for Christmas. One of my toddlers of course runs up, and tries to take it away. A moderately noisy battle ensues and dcm says to dd, I'll just take it with me then. I piped up and said Yeh, maybe you better. Dcg starts crying and promises to share. So I offer her this: to play with it first, set a timer(she chose 3 minutes), and then she will give it to the next child. She was fine with that and it worked perfectly the whole morning. In fact, they only played with it for half an hour.

I do state in my handbook, I will do my best to take care of their personal items, BUT I am not responsible for any items brought in so if it's special, keep it home.
coolconfidentme 10:28 AM 01-03-2014
I don't take the toy away..., I make the parent do it. If they try to throw me under the bus saying I won't let them have it here I chime in, "Mommy has to follow the rules, just like we do!" (I then smile brightly.)
Heidi 10:35 AM 01-03-2014
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
My rule is, if it becomes a problem, up it goes until the end of the day. My little 3 yo dcg brought in a really cute toy this a.m., just got it for Christmas. One of my toddlers of course runs up, and tries to take it away. A moderately noisy battle ensues and dcm says to dd, I'll just take it with me then. I piped up and said Yeh, maybe you better. Dcg starts crying and promises to share. So I offer her this: to play with it first, set a timer(she chose 3 minutes), and then she will give it to the next child. She was fine with that and it worked perfectly the whole morning. In fact, they only played with it for half an hour.

I do state in my handbook, I will do my best to take care of their personal items, BUT I am not responsible for any items brought in so if it's special, keep it home.
You're not the only one, and I also reserve the right to put a stop to it if it becomes a problem. One little guy brings a stuffed animal just about every day, and my favorite former dcb always had to bring a toy car. It was never a problem. I do not allow "blankies" though, dragged back and forth. I have yet to see one not be an issue. Dragged around, and as soon as someone sits on hit...YANK! Blankie kids (usually older when they start) learn right away that they go into the cubby until nap time.

I love BC"s Hotel California rule, though. If it every becomes an issue, I'm going with that!
Maria2013 10:44 AM 01-03-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Bookworm 10:49 AM 01-03-2014
I designate one day a week for toys. Children who bring toys on the other days get the choice to give it back to Mom or give it to me to keep for the center. It only takes one time and they understand. It also helps that the parents back me totally on this.
thetoddlerwhisper 10:54 AM 01-03-2014
i dont allow toys or food from home. the only exception is asd who brings lunch and snack on days needed. but if your gonna bring in something for child you bring enough for everyone. otherwise i take it and its mine.
Blackcat31 10:55 AM 01-03-2014

Originally Posted by Heidi:
You're not the only one, and I also reserve the right to put a stop to it if it becomes a problem. One little guy brings a stuffed animal just about every day, and my favorite former dcb always had to bring a toy car. It was never a problem. I do not allow "blankies" though, dragged back and forth. I have yet to see one not be an issue. Dragged around, and as soon as someone sits on hit...YANK! Blankie kids (usually older when they start) learn right away that they go into the cubby until nap time.

I love BC"s Hotel California rule, though. If it every becomes an issue, I'm going with that!
I don't think allowing toys from home is a bad thing. As a matter of fact, I think it is an EXCELLENT way to teach kids sharing and pro-social behaviors.

I only have the rule because it DID get out of hand, not by the kids so much but on the parent's end.

I mean its fine if Billy brings a toy to share here but when Tommy brings 16 because the parent couldn't limit or restrict, (or sent their kid with a $250 electronic and made it sound like I MUST take better care of it than the child) then I HAVE to make a rule.

....and in my personal experience, it just took one or two super permissive parents to ruin it for everyone from that point forward.
MyAngels 11:00 AM 01-03-2014

I don't have a problem with the kids bringing toys either. They know they can either share or it goes away until they go home. I do reserve the right to stop allowing toys at any time, but I've never had to do that.

I do like the idea of the Hotel California rule though .
Cradle2crayons 11:03 AM 01-03-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Once a toy is brought from home into my daycare home, it becomes my personal property.

If the family/child isn't giving it to me, leave it at home or in the car.

I've used this rule for years and it has worked for years.

Occasionally, I have been "given" some awesome new toys but NEVER from the same family twice.

My handbook DOES address this in detail so ALL parents know this rule ahead of time.
same here! Except once a month they can bring something from home and they do a small show and tell and they share the rest of the day. Of course, parents have to agree to this and sign that I'm not responsible for lost or broken toys. Although I've never had one lost or broken yet, it can happen.
Punkin.Butts 05:01 PM 01-03-2014
Originally Posted by itlw8:
glad you made it here . Girl you have GOT to learn to say no make a sign and practice......Well three things

NO

I am sorry that won't work for me

Let me get back to you on that.

So speak up and tell them. Post a sign on the door and point to the rule as you say No and hand it back to mom.

Meg
eventually I am sure I will get to that.. you've known me for a few months now..you know I am terrible with this stuff!!
providerandmomof4 10:45 PM 01-03-2014
I do not allow food, drinks, or toys from home. Straight into their bags to take home if its a toy. If food or drink, it gets tossed. The other morn, I was in the bathroom when dcm dropped off and my grown dd let in dcks. Both dck had choc milk and donuts! It went right in the trash. I know dcg (4) probabley told her mom how mean I was but I thought it incredibly rude of dcm. The other kids were like, "I want choc milk and donuts."

I told dcg...sorry honey but thats not fair to the others. We all will eat the same thing, and its fine if mom gets you special that is for home... thats not for daycare.

She hasnt brought anything since...but I figure she'll try again soon.
Blackcat31 08:33 AM 01-04-2014
Originally Posted by providerandmomof4:
I do not allow food, drinks, or toys from home. Straight into their bags to take home if its a toy. If food or drink, it gets tossed. The other morn, I was in the bathroom when dcm dropped off and my grown dd let in dcks. Both dck had choc milk and donuts! It went right in the trash. I know dcg (4) probabley told her mom how mean I was but I thought it incredibly rude of dcm. The other kids were like, "I want choc milk and donuts."

I told dcg...sorry honey but thats not fair to the others. We all will eat the same thing, and its fine if mom gets you special that is for home... thats not for daycare.

She hasnt brought anything since...but I figure she'll try again soon.
Careful with that one.... I used to have one that did that too and ALWAYS stupid stuff for breakfast, like giant donuts, Skittles or Chocolate covered peanuts.

I just kept throwing it out telling the child (and eventually the parent too) that it isn't fair to the other kids so DCM started bringing enough for everyone.

I finally just had to say "Stop bringing stuff! Period!"
TwinKristi 01:28 PM 01-04-2014
I don't allow toys on a regular basis and it doesn't seem anyone brings toys of the two I have now, but the other 2 I had before did the all the time and it was 100% the parents not taking it away and saying no. As soon as it starts a problem, which for this specific under 2yr old who was waaaay over-possessive and hates sharing happened in like 30 seconds, I put it up high for mom to get at pickup or if they're old enough to understand, in their cubby. One boy brought a huge Woody doll that wouldn't fit so it got out up and forgotten. I happened to be going on the same street they live on the next day and offered to drop it off to them and then I couldn't find the hat?! I knew I'd just had it!! Ugh! So we found the hat and crammed him in the cubby! LOL I think for future kids I will just say no toys, any toys brought here will have the Hotel California rule as well! I like that!!!
GKJNIGMN 01:47 PM 01-04-2014
I do what Black Cat does but always felt like I was the only one who did it and was probably being a little hard. Not that I was going to change it lol

If they bring it, I keep it. If they show up with candy, I toss it. I have a couple of kids that always show up with an entire bag of goldfish crackers for each of the 2 siblings. I use them for snacks for everyone at snack time even though DCM only sent them because she isn't able to stand up to her kids and take them away and they weren't intended for all.

I love the idea of making the parent take the item away. I know some of the parents couldn't do it though.
itlw8 07:31 PM 01-04-2014
Originally Posted by Punkin.Butts:
eventually I am sure I will get to that.. you've known me for a few months now..you know I am terrible with this stuff!!

I know but we are all going to help you grow a backbone... and I mean it practice those three phrases. They will make your life easier. if not for childcare but to deal with something to do with your kids.... stop think about it and then give them your answer.

If this is important to you you need to speak up nicely but speak up.
Childminder 07:43 PM 01-04-2014
I have in my handbook that if a cup, bottle or toy is brought into day care will be considered a donation to my program.
Unregistered 02:20 AM 01-08-2014

No, you are not the only one!

I intentionally allow toys from home-

My policy states:

one toy from home at a time

For me This is an important way to bridge home and child care

They DO NOT have to share...that's right! My policy states they have to share everything else at child care, and an item from home is their special item. My policy also states a child is not allowed to share with only one or two children...if they decide to share everyone can see/use it. If it is a problem it goes in their cubby.

I reserve the right to limit or cancel this privilege if problems arise.

The only time I have had problems is when I had lots of two yr olds! Yea, big surprise.

I find it's comforting for kids to bring an item from home and just plain fun for them.

For me it just feels right to allow this....I do understand why many providers do not want to deal with the toys from home issue and respect that too.
Tags:toys from home
Reply Up