Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I LOVE Part Timers!!!
Nickel 04:51 PM 09-16-2012
I was a little disappointed because I kept getting phone calls for part timers, so I felt like I was losing money.. But I just took a look at everyone's schedules and I love it.

dcg MW - 8:30-2 F 8:30-10:15
dcb T 9-1:30 TR 10:30-1:30
dcg2 3 days/wk rotating 1:30-5:30 sometimes 7:30pm (and some weeks only 2 days but paid for 3)
dcg3 2-3 days per week 3-8 hrs (her and bf work retail, so they give me their schedule 3 weeks in advance. If I am over ratio, I just let her know and dcf will find alternate)
dcg4 MTW 1-7:30pm

I am making just about the same as if I had 3 full timers (I'm at a 4:1 ratio, although I know there is about a 30 min overlap during naptime sometimes, but that won't be bad). And there will be some Fridays I work less than 2 hrs and then I am done for the weekend!!! Then there are other days where I am done by 2pm!!! I love my part timers! love love love it!!! I am tempted to take a drop in that will be here 1-2 days per week. She wouldn't put me over really because one family leaves and the other comes. And she is flexible with hours, but I am thinking I'd rather make a little bit less and have that extra time to spend with my dd.

Does anyone else have ALL part timers and it?
rhymia1 03:30 AM 09-17-2012
Good for you! I know that in some areas the economy has made it so that a provider who doesn't take on part timers would have a hard time getting any kids. I used to have two boys who came Tuesday-Thursday and I loved it. Of course they are now FT with me
Unregistered 04:45 AM 09-17-2012
I used to and loved it. As time has gone by most of them have moved up to pt and I have gotten more families so I never get done early or even have an occasional day off but that's okay too!
Sunchimes 04:46 AM 09-17-2012
I do. They are here 3 days a week, 6:30 to 3:30 most days, sometimes 8:30 to 3:30.. I like getting off early, but I'd love it more if I could get at least one more. I can't make it on 2 PTers.

I had 3, but mom is pregnant and had to take medical leave, so she has to be replaced. Three weeks and not a single call.

The biggest employer here is Walmart. Well, it's actually the school system, but they have a tax-payer subsidized day care for employee's kids. WM has mostly part time workers, so that's why PT is so common for me.
cheerfuldom 05:43 AM 09-17-2012
I take part timers but used to really really hate it. That is because the only part timers I had were infants and they never did well with the schedule. Now I have three preschool age part timers and it actually works out well. they arent here often enough to be bored so every day is still fun. also, two of the three nap well for me so it is just the last one that I am trying to get on track . my area is just like a PP mentioned, very hard if you are not open to part timers, even then, its still hard to get kids.
Countrygal 06:20 AM 09-17-2012
I have part-timers and I, too, love it. EXCEPT that I only can have 3 here and really struggle with juggling schedules. Right now I have a day opening - could be pt or ft, but can't fill it b/c of the hours - 7:15 to 4. And then there are the days off school which really mess things up. So I think I'm stuck with one pt and one ft. UNLESS I can get a pt for morning hours or Fridays only. "sigh".

Obviously, it's the juggling of schedules I have trouble with. I have SERIOUSLY considered switching to pt only. Seems more of a need for that.....
cheerfuldom 07:55 AM 09-17-2012
Originally Posted by Countrygal:
I have part-timers and I, too, love it. EXCEPT that I only can have 3 here and really struggle with juggling schedules. Right now I have a day opening - could be pt or ft, but can't fill it b/c of the hours - 7:15 to 4. And then there are the days off school which really mess things up. So I think I'm stuck with one pt and one ft. UNLESS I can get a pt for morning hours or Fridays only. "sigh".

Obviously, it's the juggling of schedules I have trouble with. I have SERIOUSLY considered switching to pt only. Seems more of a need for that.....
I do partimers that can pay by the full day. that might be a better option for you. I have one kid here M-W and then another Th-F so their schedules work out well. they have to pay for the full day regardless of the exact hours. then my 3rd part timers is here in the afternoons so I have a 4th part time spot open for weekday mornings which may fill in the future. Its easier to work with schedules that way.
Nickel 10:11 AM 09-17-2012
My pt pay for the whole day here too except for one when i was desperate! Oh well. It actually works out because i have 4 pt now with 1 more starting aftet mom maternity leave. But there is 2 colleges here so mwf and tthr part day is common. My other 2 work afternoons and come as the others leave. One is a nurse the other call center. I have one more interview for drop in but not sure how that will work out. She would need go be very flexible on when i can fit her child in. Like few hrs. Here few hrs there. All but two are under 18 mnths but they are all never here at the same time so it is really working out. I think i got lucky so far! Woohoo!
DaisyMamma 11:20 AM 09-17-2012
I only have a couple, but it works out great. I charge PT families more, so it adds up quick, also they aren't here as much so they tend to be better behaved!
Blackcat31 12:21 PM 09-17-2012
I used to reserve two spaces for PT kids. PT care was offered in two blocks. A.M. block and P.M. blocks. Neither included lunch.
When I had PT kids use these spaces I could fit 4 children into two spaces and made enough money from these 4 PT children to equal what I earned for 3 FT kids so it worked great for me.

Now the schedules/needs of these kids has changed and instead I have 12 FT kids so I guess I can't complain.

Part time care can be a great option for providers who don't want to work long days or long hours and you can earn good money serving PT only if you schedule things right and have the space/time to accommodate the varying hours.
Reply Up