Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Infant Nap Help!
Unregistered 11:07 AM 07-23-2013
I have a new 3.5 mo old infant starting 3 days/week today. I've had this little one several times before as a drop in. He cannot put himself to sleep, cannot sleep for more than 20 minutes at a time and wakes up exhausted unable to soothe himself or put himself back to sleep and is miserable for a little while until finally passing out again. He also is only eating 3 oz every 3 hours. At home parents soothe with one of their fingers in his mouth to put him to sleep and to soothe him back to sleep if he wakes. I cannot do this, mainly because I'm pregnant and cannot lean over the PNP side for a long period of time it would take to put him back to sleep this way. I'm pretty sure the parents don't believe in self soothing and definitely don't believe in crying it out. If this is how things will be, there is no way this infant will last here. All of my attention is on this little one bc of the fussiness and constant need to be held, and how long it takes to get him to go to sleep and feedings being so close together, I feel like my toddlers are free playing all day while I tend to this one.

Any advice?
My3cents 11:38 AM 07-23-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have a new 3.5 mo old infant starting 3 days/week today. I've had this little one several times before as a drop in. He cannot put himself to sleep, cannot sleep for more than 20 minutes at a time and wakes up exhausted unable to soothe himself or put himself back to sleep and is miserable for a little while until finally passing out again. He also is only eating 3 oz every 3 hours. At home parents soothe with one of their fingers in his mouth to put him to sleep and to soothe him back to sleep if he wakes. I cannot do this, mainly because I'm pregnant and cannot lean over the PNP side for a long period of time it would take to put him back to sleep this way. I'm pretty sure the parents don't believe in self soothing and definitely don't believe in crying it out. If this is how things will be, there is no way this infant will last here. All of my attention is on this little one bc of the fussiness and constant need to be held, and how long it takes to get him to go to sleep and feedings being so close together, I feel like my toddlers are free playing all day while I tend to this one.

Any advice?
that little I would want a full time schedule with the baby. You can't find any routine on part time.

Most likely parents are not doing cry it out- and to some degree at that age I wouldn't either. I wouldn't worry about what happen at home and just do what works for you. You are not one on one care you are group care. Might not be a good fit for you.
cheerfuldom 08:11 PM 07-23-2013
I dont take part time infants, ever. This little one is going to have a really tough time with the random schedule and it will be very difficult, if not impossible, to get him sleeping when mom and dad are doing the exact opposite at home. my suggestion, term now. especially if you have your own infant on the way
Tags:infant - sleeping issues
Reply Up