Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>2 Yr Old Speech- Dropping End Consonants
Lilbutterflie 02:03 PM 10-15-2012
My 23 mo DCB has a fairly decent vocabulary; but he still does not speak clearly at all. Most of the problem is that he does not put consonants at the end of his words. The only one he sometimes uses is the n sound at the end. And he often uses the wrong consenant sounds in the words he says. For example, here is a random bit of his vocab and what he says:

Lion- Wiewie (using the long I sound)
This- Di
Blue- boo
Green- gee
Done- Du
Mouth- Mow
Cat- Ca
Corbin- (someone's name here) Gogin

I have tried, ever since he learned to talk, over-pronouncing the ending sounds. Every time I talk to him, I repeat the word he says with the correct ending sound or consonant that he is mispronouncing. Still to no avail.

He also is not really saying two word sentences yet. Very rarely, I might hear two words linked together after a pause. Like this: "Ca (car). (pause) Boo (Blue)." But never do I hear a 2 word sentence structure like I'm used to hearing from a two year old, like "Hi Mama!" or "My toy." KWIM?

Just wondering if there are any others who have trouble with their ending consonants at this age? What more can I do to help? I've already tried talking to mom about this, but she doesn't seem concerned.
Tags:2 year old, speech issues
Up