Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Care Courses vs Penn Foster???
Newcomer 05:01 PM 11-23-2010
I am new to the business and plan on opening a group family daycare in my home, I signed up for penn foster today but then learned about the care courses also...which is the better choice?? Are care courses more for centers or for home day cares?? And vice versa? Any one with experience please let me know, thank you!
Unregistered 05:18 AM 11-27-2010
If you do the research, Penn Foster's courses are not accredited, and will not transfer towards other colleges. If you are just looking for some additional courses/trainings, then it may be fine for you. If you are planning on continuing to a 2 or 4 year degree, then I would not recommend them. Some of their diplomas/certificates are not even college level courses, more like self enrichment type programs. It depends on what you are looking for, your future plans with it, etc. Have you checked into continuing education credits thru your state.

I would like to add, that Penn Foster does offer associate and bachelor degrees, but their credits normally don't transfer, especially to a any type of state accredited college. It is good to ask a lot of questions about transferability before signing on with one of these programs, but again, it depends on exactly what your goals are. Good luck.
MarinaVanessa 06:50 AM 11-29-2010
I don't know about Penn Foster since I've never used them but I did a few Care Courses and I thought it was great. It's inexpensive and I thought that the courses were fun and informative. The bookcourse and test weren't confusing and you can take your time and finish courses at your own pace, there's no due date. The only thing about care courses is that it's good of you simply want to learn for the sake of learning or if you want to get a CDA or something. These classes are "pass or fail" and not letter graded so these are also not good to take if you also want to apply credits or transfer to colleges, apply for stipends, grants etc. It is a good way to learn about a topic inexpensively however and a good way to jack up your DC resume.
Crystal 06:59 AM 11-29-2010
I do not recommend PennFoster. My first course of furthering my education was through them. I basically learned very little, much of which was not even based on current research, and $500 and a LOT of time later, I got a diploma that was worthless. Sure, I got 24 ceu's but they were worthless to the college I attended and a big waste of my time.
Newcommer 12:47 PM 12-10-2010
Thank you for answering my questions! I registered for Penn Foster- the courses seem okay but now that I am looking at the care courses I think I should have went that route because at least I can pick and choose what I want to learn when I want to learn it, they cost the same is I am trying to get my CDA which Penn Foster can be used for.
Newby 12:34 PM 12-12-2010
Care courses are def. better than Penn Foster, PF doesn't really have sources to back up their information so its not very scholarly at all. It doesn't seem all up to date either and I found a spelling mistake which means they don't put a whole bunch of effort into correcting their work!! The care courses uses up to date information and pretty much everything is backed up with sources so you know they are not just pulling information out of air. And they give really good scenarios and questions to help reinforce the information.

I am going to get my refund from Penn Foster and stick with the care courses!
Tags:care courses, penn foster
Reply Up