Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Please Help Me Educate The Church Nusery
familyschoolcare 09:29 PM 10-30-2011
Long story short the nursery staff at my church is not up on why not to put a sleeping baby in the carseat. Even if that is what mom would do.

My explaining that it leads to death has not stopped the staff from placing sleeping baby in the carseat just today.

I would like to know if anyone has a resource that explains the dangers in "small" and easy to understand words. the childrens ministery team (the ones responsible for making nursery related policy) Which I am on meets in a few weeks. I was going to see about educating them in a more effective way then.

Please help
Reply
sharlan 09:31 PM 10-30-2011
Print out info on positional asphyxiation and give it to them.

Print out the story that Crystal has been posting about the baby in Sacramento that died while in a carseat.
Reply
Lucy 10:00 PM 10-30-2011
Just curious why it has to be in small, easy to understand words?
Reply
Meyou 03:54 AM 10-31-2011
Originally Posted by Joyce:
Just curious why it has to be in small, easy to understand words?
She told them it can lead to death in infants and they didn't "get it". They seem like they need a simplistic but direct message to the dangers.

Good luck.
Reply
Kaddidle Care 05:20 AM 10-31-2011
Do they even have a crib or P&P to lay the baby down in?

Any safety matters should be brought up with your Pastor Parish Relations Team. They will call an emergency meeting if need be to enforce whatever rule is necessary.

I don't take care of infants so I wasn't aware of this hazard myself. Children fall asleep in car seats all the time.

Perhaps their thinking is that Church is only for an hour or so. Perhaps they feel that they can keep an eye on the child while sleeping in the car seat for a short time.

(Personally if an infant is that small it probably should be in Church with his/her Mama. Especially if he/she is asleep.)
Reply
nannyde 05:26 AM 10-31-2011
http://www.idph.state.ia.us/hcci/com...ositioning.pdf

Reviews of infant deaths in passenger restraint devices, however, show that the majority of infant deaths in car seats are not occurring when the infant is being transported in a vehicle, but rather when the infant is being cared for indoors.
Reply
MarinaVanessa 09:31 AM 10-31-2011
I'm in CA and we have licensing regulations that prohibit us from having sleeping babies in carseats or swings. Do you have these regulations? It might be worth looking into because chances are that if you have these regulations then they will apply to church nurseries as well.

If worse comes to worse and they resist even if you tell them that it's against regulations you can say "Listen, I appreciate everything that you all do here however I am trying to help you and you seem resistant. You weren't aware of the regulations and I understand that but now that you know I have to tell you that as a mandated reporter I am being put into a bad spot here. It just isn't safe for infants to sleep that way and if you continue to sleep an infant this way I will have no choice but to report it."

Don't forget that the liability now extends onto you now because anyone working with children is considered a mandated reporter. If you don't report and something happens they get shut-down and you can find yourself in trouble for not reporting. I'd check with licensing to ask if there are any regulations about this and whether they apply to the church nursery.

I would print out as many different safety sheets as you can including regulations and show these to the ministry team at the meeting.

Here ara few things that I found:

Newborn and Infant Safety
http://www.sleepingbaby.net/infantsafety.pdf

Infant Sleep Positioning (Iowa)
http://www.idph.state.ia.us/hcci/com...ositioning.pdf

Family Resource Connection
http://www.newhorizonacademy.net/dow...eat_Safety.pdf

Safe Kids USA - Baby Safety Basics
http://www.safekids.org/assets/docs/...sics-guide.pdf

Safe Infant Sleeping Practices in Childcare (North Dakota)
http://www.ndhealth.gov/injury/Train...fe%20Sleep.pdf

ABC News Don't Let Babies Lie - In Care Seats
http://health.utah.gov/licensing/Inf...gBabiesLie.pdf
Reply
Unregistered 09:51 AM 10-31-2011
If the parents had them in the church, they'd be sitting in the seat too.
Reply
familyschoolcare 11:16 AM 10-31-2011
Originally Posted by Joyce:
Just curious why it has to be in small, easy to understand words?
Because what I have done so far is not working
Reply
familyschoolcare 11:18 AM 10-31-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
If the parents had them in the church, they'd be sitting in the seat too.
Yes, and the child/baby could still die.
Reply
familyschoolcare 11:20 AM 10-31-2011
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I'm in CA and we have licensing regulations that prohibit us from having sleeping babies in carseats or swings. Do you have these regulations? It might be worth looking into because chances are that if you have these regulations then they will apply to church nurseries as well.

If worse comes to worse and they resist even if you tell them that it's against regulations you can say "Listen, I appreciate everything that you all do here however I am trying to help you and you seem resistant. You weren't aware of the regulations and I understand that but now that you know I have to tell you that as a mandated reporter I am being put into a bad spot here. It just isn't safe for infants to sleep that way and if you continue to sleep an infant this way I will have no choice but to report it."

Don't forget that the liability now extends onto you now because anyone working with children is considered a mandated reporter. If you don't report and something happens they get shut-down and you can find yourself in trouble for not reporting. I'd check with licensing to ask if there are any regulations about this and whether they apply to the church nursery.

I would print out as many different safety sheets as you can including regulations and show these to the ministry team at the meeting.

Here ara few things that I found:

Newborn and Infant Safety
http://www.sleepingbaby.net/infantsafety.pdf

Infant Sleep Positioning (Iowa)
http://www.idph.state.ia.us/hcci/com...ositioning.pdf

Family Resource Connection
http://www.newhorizonacademy.net/dow...eat_Safety.pdf

Safe Kids USA - Baby Safety Basics
http://www.safekids.org/assets/docs/...sics-guide.pdf

Safe Infant Sleeping Practices in Childcare (North Dakota)
http://www.ndhealth.gov/injury/Train...fe%20Sleep.pdf

ABC News Don't Let Babies Lie - In Care Seats
http://health.utah.gov/licensing/Inf...gBabiesLie.pdf
Thank you that is helpfull, I am in cal. also. I did not know for sure what the regs say about infants as I do not have any. The church is small enougph that we do not have to follow lic rules. However, I know that the two paid emplyees that head up childrens ministry whant to follow as much of them as resonable.
Reply
MarinaVanessa 11:29 AM 10-31-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
If the parents had them in the church, they'd be sitting in the seat too.
The "golden rule" for infants in carseats and carriers (for parents, childcare providers aren't allowed to leave them in these) is that "Infants should always be visible and kissable in a carrier". If a parent had the infant in a car seat or carrier at church then the infant would be both visible and within "kissing" distance in case of problems. If the infant were left in a carrier or car seat at the church nursery I doubt they would have someone sit directly next to infant to watch over him/her only for the duration of his/her stay.
Reply
Crystal 11:31 AM 10-31-2011
Originally Posted by familyschoolcare:
Thank you that is helpfull, I am in cal. also. I did not know for sure what the regs say about infants as I do not have any. The church is small enougph that we do not have to follow lic rules. However, I know that the two paid emplyees that head up childrens ministry whant to follow as much of them as resonable.
If there is payment for services, then they are required to be licensed. Do they receive payment?
Reply
familyschoolcare 11:47 AM 10-31-2011
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
Do they even have a crib or P&P to lay the baby down in?

Any safety matters should be brought up with your Pastor Parish Relations Team. They will call an emergency meeting if need be to enforce whatever rule is necessary.

I don't take care of infants so I wasn't aware of this hazard myself. Children fall asleep in car seats all the time.

Perhaps their thinking is that Church is only for an hour or so. Perhaps they feel that they can keep an eye on the child while sleeping in the car seat for a short time.

(Personally if an infant is that small it probably should be in Church with his/her Mama. Especially if he/she is asleep.)
They have all the necessary equipment.

The church is too small to have a Pastor Parish Relations Team. The first officail place to take it up is with the children ministry team.

I agree that an infant that young this one is 10 months should stay in church with mom. However, mom (or rather grandma) thinkins that during the sermon the pastor should be the only one making noise.

Thanks you for all the iinsight as to what "they" might be thinking.
Reply
DBug 03:53 PM 10-31-2011
Having worked on staff in Children's Ministries at a church, I would suggest that you appeal to the lead pastor on the basis of insurance liability concerns. If you bring it to his or her attention, along with the point that the church's insurance policy may not cover the church if a parent sues in the case of a death resulting from something like this, he or she will very likely be convinced, and that will funnel down to the Dir. of CM which will then make it to the volunteers. Yes, it is sad, but mentioning the potential cost in $$ and in potential negative press tends to work wonders.
Reply
familyschoolcare 04:29 PM 10-31-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
If there is payment for services, then they are required to be licensed. Do they receive payment?
NO payment
Reply
laundrymom 08:00 PM 10-31-2011
At my church I would talk to the main nursery worker, as you have done. Since that didn't work I would talk to your pastor, or to the childrens minitry pastor.
Reply
mom2many 09:09 PM 10-31-2011
I was involved in the Children's Ministry at my church for years and would definitely talk to those overseeing this. If they don't listen and understand the serious issues with this, than I would definitely consult your pastor.
Reply
familyschoolcare 08:03 AM 11-01-2011
I sent an E-mail to the two women in charge of children ministers at the church. It included all the links that people have posted. I know one of the women very well and I think that showing her that I am not overreacting and this is more than theory and will not be going away. When she had, her first child she was told never lay him on his back to sleep because he might throw up and suffocate on it. The last time I talked to her, she said “they” keep changing their minds about how to put babies to sleep.

Any way if this does not help/work then I will take it up with the pastor and mention it my favorite member of the pastor’s cabinet (my husband) to ensure the issue is at least discussed.
Reply
familyschoolcare 08:26 AM 11-03-2011
The heads of children ministry are in the process of making changes. They have called for additional training of all workers for the infant room and hae made arangement for one of them to be in the nursery for the Nov and Dec untill the training and new policies go into to effect.
Reply
MarinaVanessa 10:56 AM 11-03-2011
Originally Posted by familyschoolcare:
The heads of children ministry are in the process of making changes. They have called for additional training of all workers for the infant room and hae made arangement for one of them to be in the nursery for the Nov and Dec untill the training and new policies go into to effect.
That's great news!! I hope they took your suggestions as creative criticism and not as a n attack.
Reply
Tags:car seats, church, nursery, safety
Reply Up