Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What would be the perfect bathroom setup?
Abigail 08:21 PM 07-26-2010
In your opinion, what would be the best ways to design a small to mid-sized bathroom appropriate for daycare use only. Here are some questions to spark your imagination....sometimes we learn as we go and wish we would have known a long time ago!

Would you have a child-sized toilet?
Would you offer rugs on the floor?
A sink without cupboards underneath?
No shower/bathtub?
Have a diapering station in the bathroom?
Cubbies on the floor for diapering organization or a shelf on the wall?
Would you have anything on the counter, like a toothbrush holder?
Would you remove the lock door handle and just install a regular door knob to prevent getting locked out?
Would you install commercial grade toilet paper and paper towel holders and soap dispensers?

Thanks!
Childminder 07:06 AM 07-27-2010
Would you have a child-sized toilet? No, because it is my home
Would you offer rugs on the floor? Yes, It keeps the stool from slipping.
A sink without cupboards underneath? Ideal, and the stool could be pushed under and out of the way.
No shower/bathtub? Every once in a while I have to do a shower off because of a blow out or extra dirty food or play.
Have a diapering station in the bathroom? Yes
Cubbies on the floor for diapering organization or a shelf on the wall? Cubbies up on the wall above the changing area.
Would you have anything on the counter, like a toothbrush holder? Soap dispenser and a enclosed toothbrush holder I made.
Would you remove the lock door handle and just install a regular door knob to prevent getting locked out? At least have the key mounted up high or on top of the door frame.
Would you install commercial grade toilet paper and paper towel holders and soap dispensers? I have towel and soap disp. but not a tissue disp., I figure they can be easily changed if we sell.
TeeSee 09:53 AM 07-27-2010
Would you have a child-sized toilet? Yes and urinal
Would you offer rugs on the floor? No
A sink without cupboards underneath?idk
No shower/bathtub?At least a shower
Have a diapering station in the bathroom?No
Cubbies on the floor for diapering organization or a shelf on the wall? Agree with childminder - cubbies on wall
Would you have anything on the counter, like a toothbrush holder?Soap, toothbrush holder and maybe picture instructions on how to wash hands and brush teeth
Would you remove the lock door handle and just install a regular door knob to prevent getting locked out? No lock
Would you install commercial grade toilet paper and paper towel holders and soap dispensers?No...keep it homey
DCMom 12:03 PM 07-27-2010
Originally when we finished the basement we had aging parents in mind, so we were trying to accomodate both the daycare and what could eventually be one of our parents living with us. Now that are parents are gone, there are definately some things I would have done differently when finishing the daycare bathroom!

Would you have a child-sized toilet? Yes, two of them some days.

Would you offer rugs on the floor? No. Tile floor with dirt colored grout.

A sink without cupboards underneath? Yes. Storage galore and I have one of those pull out steps that looks like a drawer. Best thing I ever did.

No shower/bathtub? If I could do it over, I would rough in the plumbing for later then put a changing station in that area. The kind that has steps for three year olds who aren't potty trained.

Have a diapering station in the bathroom? Yes, see above. Right now I have one of those Koala commercial changers with a diaper shelf above. Did it earlier this year and I LOVE it.

Cubbies on the floor for diapering organization or a shelf on the wall? I use a wall cabinet to stack extra diapers; I have a small shelf above the changing station for wipes, gloves, bleach water, etc.

Would you have anything on the counter, like a toothbrush holder? I have a toothbrush holder mounted to the wall. We brush after breakfast.

Would you remove the lock door handle and just install a regular door knob to prevent getting locked out? Yes.

Would you install commercial grade toilet paper and paper towel holders and soap dispensers? No, I think that is one step too far
Abigail 10:43 PM 07-27-2010
Originally Posted by TeeSee:
Would you install commercial grade toilet paper and paper towel holders and soap dispensers?No...keep it homey
Do you use paper towels or replace hand towels daily? I was somewhere where they had a paper towel dispenser screwed into the bathroom wall like you would in the kitchen.
Abigail 11:14 PM 07-27-2010
Originally Posted by DCMom:
Would you offer rugs on the floor? No. Tile floor with dirt colored grout.

A sink without cupboards underneath? Yes. Storage galore and I have one of those pull out steps that looks like a drawer. Best thing I ever did.

Have a diapering station in the bathroom? Yes, see above. Right now I have one of those Koala commercial changers with a diaper shelf above. Did it earlier this year and I LOVE it.
Rugs: Do you not use rugs because it's just another thing to clean? I know if the floor gets wet, I need to clean it up. If I had rugs they would have to be washed...passing on the rugs would probably be a good convenience factor as long as the floor isn't too slippery when wet.

Sink Structure: Can you explain more about this, I'm confused. Did you buy it or build it?

Diapering Station: I see you passed on the traditional baby changer with the standard shelves beneath it. How expensive is the Koala Bear Care BCS? I looked on their website and really like the looks of the verticle recessed baby changing station because I could change them the same way as I would on the floor and the recessed models don't stick out of the wall as far....really depends if it will fit in my bathroom though! I also will not have too many diaper changes per day, so I need to consider how often I really need it too. LOL
melskids 03:08 AM 07-28-2010
i just wanted to add my 2 cents about rugs....

i dont use them because i have had tooooo many pee pee accidents on the floor, and what a hassle THAT is to clean all the time!!!!

i also took a wooden paper towel holder and screwed it right next to the sink where the kiddos could reach it.
DCMom 04:13 AM 07-28-2010
Originally Posted by Abigail:
Rugs: Do you not use rugs because it's just another thing to clean? I know if the floor gets wet, I need to clean it up. If I had rugs they would have to be washed...passing on the rugs would probably be a good convenience factor as long as the floor isn't too slippery when wet.

Sink Structure: Can you explain more about this, I'm confused. Did you buy it or build it?

Diapering Station: I see you passed on the traditional baby changer with the standard shelves beneath it. How expensive is the Koala Bear Care BCS? I looked on their website and really like the looks of the verticle recessed baby changing station because I could change them the same way as I would on the floor and the recessed models don't stick out of the wall as far....really depends if it will fit in my bathroom though! I also will not have too many diaper changes per day, so I need to consider how often I really need it too. LOL
The rugs are just one more thing to wash after a potty accident. The floor can just get wiped up. I have tile now (which I love) but the white grout is dirty, dirty, dirty and I can't get it clean any more. I am going to have it regrouted with gray (dirt colored ) grout.

The vanity is one we bought. It has a step that pulls out about a foot like a drawer along the bottom of the cabinet. When it is closed, it looks like a drawer under the doors. It's been years, but I think it was from Kraftmaid/Home Depot. It was a special order option.

I didn't buy it from Koala; I think paid about $125 for the newer horizontal version. I wish I could have done the recessed, that would have been even nicer! But the horizontal fits nicely behind the door of my bathroom and when open I can still walk around it and the kids can use the toilet. At one point this year I had 6 in diapers, so I used mine ALOT!
Tags:ammenities, bathroom, lock, soap, toilet
Reply Up