Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>2yr olds spitting???
thetoddlerwhisper 10:54 AM 11-13-2013
i have a dcg and dcb in my group that think spitting is hilarious. ive made them clean their own spit up but thats fun(they like cleaning). this morning i made them sit in the quiet chair. not even worth it since they continued spitting i will be talking to parents today as its gross and not hygenic. but how do you handle this behavior?????
Heidi 11:01 AM 11-13-2013
I tend to ignore it, or at least keep the drama out. If there is spit on his face or shirt, just take a paper towel and wipe it off. Then, suggest another activity without mentioning it. It'll be on to something else next week.

Or, you could offer an alternative. Instead of making spit bubbles, how about if we get the REAL bubbles?

Spitting at the table, however, gets you excused. Meal time is over, kiddo.
melilley 11:05 AM 11-13-2013
I have spitters here and once one does it, they all do it. My dck's are all 2 and under, with the exception of one 3 yo.

I just tell them that they may not spit. My dck's usually stop, but sometimes they don't. I just keep repeating it and if they don't stop, I will separate them and usually that works. Or give them an activity and they stop thinking about the spitting.
coolconfidentme 11:19 AM 11-13-2013
I seriously had to write spitting into my policy. Spit & you clean it up & go to TO. Spit 3 times in one day & a parent is called to pick them up. They first day it happens I tell the parent what the consequences are. If it continues past day one, I start counting. It's not a laughing matter when parents miss work & it stops in a hurry. I'm probably the odd provider out, but I have zero tolerance for spitting.
Reply Up