Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Holding and Filling Spots
Miss A 05:37 PM 09-23-2015
I have a dilemma, that I am not sure how to handle. I have a family that brings one child here full time, as DCD has full custody. DCD was supposed to have a custody hearing on Monday for his other child, and it was deffered to November. I currently have one position available, and have had another family contact me for it. I had originally told them that I would have an answer for this this week on availability, and now I won't know until November.
I love the child that is already coming full time, and I know that if I don't have a sbot for the sibling, I will lose the child. But, I don't know if I should be holding a spot for a child that is not guaranteed to come. And, because of the situation I do not feel comfortable having DCD pay a holding fee, as the spot may not be used by him in the end.

I have a family coming in late spring with abrand new infant, and the family who contacted me for a spot would also be a brand new I can't at the same time. II came from being g the lead infant room teacher in a center, but I am not sure I want to take on so much at once. Help! What should I do?
daycare 05:41 PM 09-23-2015
Originally Posted by a.lenz.girl:
I have a dilemma, that I am not sure how to handle. I have a family that brings one child here full time, as DCD has full custody. DCD was supposed to have a custody hearing on Monday for his other child, and it was deffered to November. I currently have one position available, and have had another family contact me for it. I had originally told them that I would have an answer for this this week on availability, and now I won't know until November.
I love the child that is already coming full time, and I know that if I don't have a sbot for the sibling, I will lose the child. But, I don't know if I should be holding a spot for a child that is not guaranteed to come. And, because of the situation I do not feel comfortable having DCD pay a holding fee, as the spot may not be used by him in the end.

I have a family coming in late spring with abrand new infant, and the family who contacted me for a spot would also be a brand new I can't at the same time. II came from being g the lead infant room teacher in a center, but I am not sure I want to take on so much at once. Help! What should I do?
the only thing I can say is that unless your willing to take the emotion out of it and see this as a business deal you are stuck.

You can't hold spots for free. I don't know too many places that do. I know this sounds mean, but this is not your problem. YOU have to do what is best for YOU and your business. If you can afford to save it without pay, then feel free to do so. If you can't then let business be business and fill the spot.

It's up to you what you want to do.
littletots 06:57 PM 09-23-2015
I was in similar situation where someone was interested in future slot but I had someone else ready to start. I offered a family the slot on a temporary 5month basis. If 1st family didn't need it the temp family would get it. The 1st family adoption fell through, temp family took slot and was very excited. It worked out. Hoping same for you.
BabyMonkeys 07:14 AM 09-24-2015
I would say it depends on how much you need the income. It's only around 2 months, which I know is HUGE if you need the income. How is the father? If he is a model daycare parent, I would be even more inclined to keep him.
Miss A 07:34 AM 09-24-2015
Originally Posted by angelw2babies:
I would say it depends on how much you need the income. It's only around 2 months, which I know is HUGE if you need the income. How is the father? If he is a model daycare parent, I would be even more inclined to keep him.
He is the model daycare parent! Great communication, always pays in full the day he receives his paycheck, so know that my care is a priority for him. And the child is a sweetheart. I decided to ask dad to pay the holding fee O require, and stated in the letter that should the custody arrangement not happen the way we are all hoping, the holding g fee would be put towards his childs care.
Blackcat31 10:17 AM 09-24-2015
Originally Posted by a.lenz.girl:
He is the model daycare parent! Great communication, always pays in full the day he receives his paycheck, so know that my care is a priority for him. And the child is a sweetheart. I decided to ask dad to pay the holding fee O require, and stated in the letter that should the custody arrangement not happen the way we are all hoping, the holding g fee would be put towards his childs care.
....while that is a nice gesture, I am wondering what the point is of doing that?
If the custody thing does not work out, then you will still not have those other families wanting/needing services as I am sure they will have moved on to other programs but applying the holding fee to the first child's care would still make it so that you are out the income.

Doing it that way makes the holding fee irrelevant.
You held the space so you should be compensated for that.
Applying it later to the first child benefits the DCD only.
daycarediva 10:24 AM 09-24-2015
I have parents sign a separate contract for each child (helps with sibs going to school, etc).

I would tell dcd that I empathize with his situation, but I can't hold the space without pay. I WOULD give him options.

1. pay full rate for the space
2. risk that the space won't be available if/when he needs it.

IF he does get custody, I would re-evaluate my crew and terminate someone to accommodate him if I wanted to.
Blackcat31 10:25 AM 09-24-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I have parents sign a separate contract for each child (helps with sibs going to school, etc).

I would tell dcd that I empathize with his situation, but I can't hold the space without pay. I WOULD give him options.

1. pay full rate for the space
2. risk that the space won't be available if/when he needs it.

IF he does get custody, I would re-evaluate my crew and terminate someone to accommodate him if I wanted to.

Ariana 10:28 AM 09-24-2015
Think about this from the dads perspective. He has a great DCP and his first child is with you. Does he really want to go looking for someone else that can take two children in November? Chances are he does not and would be more than willing to pay to hold that spot no matter what happens, I know I would. The spot is being held for his child and I would make it known that other families are interested so if he wants it to remain open he has to pay. That deposit is for you and your lost income if he doesn't end up using your care. It shouldn't be put towards the other child's tuition as that is the exact same as holding the spot open for free.

I had a friend come to me looking for care and she didn't want to pay a holding fee for the 5 months wait before her kid enrolled. I instead asked for a larger deposit since she was my friend I cut her a break. Then as I was thinking about it and started getting inundated with calls for care I realized that I was doing her a HUGE favor by holding that space open for her and losing out on months of income. In the end I gave the spot to someone else because me being a great provider should be enough. I shouldn't have to hold spots for free and lose major income for a friend. She should be paying ME to ensure her child gets with a great provider that she trusts. In the end I realized that I am worth it and if a parent can't see that then they can go elsewhere
Reply Up