Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Infant Feeding Confusion
Kabob 08:26 AM 07-29-2013
I feel silly posting about this but I feel like I need to vent...

So I have had this 5 month old baby girl in my care for a month now and in this short month her mom has been going going back and forth between a lot of of things...she's not very consistent with anything (especially her schedule). But that's another story.

What is bugging me about this dcm right now is her flip flopping on her infant's feeding schedule. I know this sounds like a petty complaint...but it just bugs me since I've never dealt with such a different feeding plan...

Her baby was eating 4 oz of formula every 4-5 hours at home at 4 months but here she was hungry every 3ish hours, which also fits right in with my meal routine around here so I had no complaints. However, dcm got mad since she is providing the formula (I am on the food program and offer formula but she didn't want to use it for her daughter) and so told me I had to "ration" the formula to prevent dcb from getting fat. I said I couldn't withhold food since she was was obviously hungry after I offered offered distraction, pacifier, etc. So she upped dcb to 6 oz and all seemed fine.

Now my confusion comes from dcm arriving today saying that dcb has been eating a new food every day at home and on top of that dcb eats 3-4 ounces of solids twice a day at home and so now expects me to do the same and feed the usual 6 oz bottles every 3-4 hours. Technically, I'm supposed to feed dcb according to the parent's wishes...but...that seems like a lot of food especially since she was just complaining about how "fat" her baby is (suggesting it's my fault). So far today dcb has not been hungry...she has completely turned down her breakfast bottle and has not been very active today...usually we do lots of tummy time but now she just rolls to her side and goes to sleep after 5 minutes. I plan to talk to dcm and iron out this feeding schedule with her...just tired of her going from one extreme to another...

Oh and dcb has bad acid reflux and spits up constantly. She gets super congested as a result. Her dr prescribed meds which were drastically reducing the congestion and spit up but dcm says she hates giving dcb since she "doesn't like it" so now she is getting worse again...this morning she decided I should give the meds...which of of course didn't go over well. Sigh.

End of rant.
coolconfidentme 09:54 AM 07-29-2013
I would nicely tell the parent that your feeding consist of bla bla bla & stick to it. If she is uncomfortable with your program she can find someone she is more comfortable with. (That's what I do with my two babies.) It's hard for tparents to find good care for an infant & they know it.
cheerfuldom 10:02 AM 07-29-2013
I agree, forget about "discussing" it. Print out a copy of your daily schedule and let her know that the highlighted times are when the babies are offered food, bottle first then solids. You can only offer at that time but there is no way you can force a child to eat. After that, either she can get on board with that or find new care. When you discuss things, it makes it seem like everything is negotiable and that you are on her schedule. You will need to correct that. No discussion, just provide parent the information as well as the list of supplies needed and that is that. Either she can deal with it or she cant
Lyss 10:32 AM 07-29-2013
Originally Posted by Kabob:

So I have had this 5 month old baby girl in my care for a month now and in this short month her mom has been going going back and forth between a lot of of things...she's not very consistent with anything (especially her schedule). But that's another story.

What is bugging me about this dcm right now is her flip flopping on her infant's feeding schedule. I know this sounds like a petty complaint...but it just bugs me since I've never dealt with such a different feeding plan...

Her baby was eating 4 oz of formula every 4-5 hours at home at 4 months but here she was hungry every 3ish hours, which also fits right in with my meal routine around here so I had no complaints. However, dcm got mad since she is providing the formula (I am on the food program and offer formula but she didn't want to use it for her daughter) and so told me I had to "ration" the formula to prevent dcb from getting fat. I said I couldn't withhold food since she was was obviously hungry after I offered offered distraction, pacifier, etc. So she upped dcb to 6 oz and all seemed fine.

Now my confusion comes from dcm arriving today saying that dcb has been eating a new food every day at home and on top of that dcb eats 3-4 ounces of solids twice a day at home and so now expects me to do the same and feed the usual 6 oz bottles every 3-4 hours. Technically, I'm supposed to feed dcb according to the parent's wishes...but...that seems like a lot of food especially since she was just complaining about how "fat" her baby is (suggesting it's my fault). So far today dcb has not been hungry...she has completely turned down her breakfast bottle and has not been very active today...usually we do lots of tummy time but now she just rolls to her side and goes to sleep after 5 minutes. I plan to talk to dcm and iron out this feeding schedule with her...just tired of her going from one extreme to another...

Oh and dcb has bad acid reflux and spits up constantly. She gets super congested as a result. Her dr prescribed meds which were drastically reducing the congestion and spit up but dcm says she hates giving dcb since she "doesn't like it" so now she is getting worse again...this morning she decided I should give the meds...which of of course didn't go over well. Sigh.

End of rant.
If mom is so concerned about rationing formula she should realize that the reflux meds will help DCG keep the formula down instead of all the spitting up. Plus should make baby feel better, regardless of if she "likes it"

Personally I'd tell mom you can't ration food to prevent DCG from getting fat There is nothing wrong with a chubby baby, they usually lean out once the become mobile anyway. Its probably the cost of formula that she's really concerned about. I don't think she is getting too much. I'd tell mom what the schedule is but that you can not hold her off or reduce the amount she receives to save formula or keep her thin. I'd rather have them leave than have to deal with the headache of a hungry, upset baby!

I don't feed solids until 6 months, parents can do what they want at home but its my policy here I don't do solids until 6 months.
Twinvillageiowa 10:43 AM 07-29-2013
Baby should be offered the bottle first, at least 3 oz, and then food. And um, kids are expensive.
Kabob 11:15 AM 07-29-2013
Yeah, I guess I just needed reinforcement that I am following the right feeding pattern...my food program rep stopped by for lunch and I now have paperwork showing that I really don't have to feed dcb 3-4oz of solids every meal...more like 2-3 tbsp. I'm a paperwork kind of gal so the last time I "talked" to dcm I showed her my written policies.

She's had the schedule from day 1...I even went over my menu and schedule before she enrolled dcb. Just frustrated that she makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong with her comments ("aren't you offering her a pacifier"). She just flip flops around with what she wants and gets moody when I don't budge (ie "I'm tired of paying for days that I'm not using"). I just have been struggling with her to schedule dcb more than 2 days a week as it is...but I hate to term her over what feels like minor issues...
NeedaVaca 11:17 AM 07-29-2013
I would also have DCM administer the meds, she can easily do this at home, there is no reason for you to do it. Also, if memory serves I don't think it is good for the baby to go on and off these meds. She should be speaking to her dr before she makes ANY changes like that!
Cradle2crayons 01:22 PM 07-29-2013
Yes, it DEFINATELY seems like mom needs a reminder on policies.

Most important policy is that yu have to serve recommended amounts of food... Which is NOT 3-4 oz of solids at a time.

Second, reflux is very serious and if this baby aspirates, and gets pneumonia, the child can be hospitalized and die.

I deal with a baby who gets aspiration pneumonia often, even though she isn't allowed to eat by mouth.

And if e child is lethargic, there is something WRONG.

Do you have a policy saying no solid foods until six months?? If so, I'd stick to it.

If not, I'd inform mom because of the food program, now the baby is on solids, you have to stick to e portion recommendations. While you can feed the specific solid choices she brings, you can only feed the recommended amount.

Then I'd feed milk first and if they still were hungry, I'd offer that small portion size.
Unregistered 01:59 PM 07-29-2013
Originally Posted by Kabob:

End of rant.

I don't know which state you are in, but "feeding according to the parents' wishes" is not how it is done in my state. Infants (under 12 months) MUST be fed on demand here (and that's how it should be). Honest to God, I'd report this one to Social Services for putting a new baby on a diet.
Tags:feeding - infants, feeding issues
Reply Up