Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Should I Change My Plans?
Preschool/daycare teacher 08:13 AM 12-07-2015
This new dcb that's supposed to start sometime soon, his mom picked him up last Thursday after her job's orientation and didn't know yet when he would officially be starting. So since I don't have any kids this Friday I made plans. Well today the dcm texts and says he will be coming Thursday and Friday. I made plans since I didn't know when he would be starting, so would you think it would be okay to just tell her I didn't have anyone scheduled Friday and didn't know when he'd be starting, so I already made plans that day? She's the one I'm already getting red flags from, but if it did end up being a good family and all I don't want to risk losing the dcb since I'm having trouble filling my openings anyway. I also don't want her to think she can just tell me last minute when he will be coming and expect me to not make plans all week "just in case".
childcaremom 08:18 AM 12-07-2015
Is this the one that didn't have all the items needed and paperwork unsigned?

If so, what came of that part?
Preschool/daycare teacher 08:35 AM 12-07-2015
That's the one. I had planned to e-mail her once I got his "official" start date and let her know he can't stay without those items. That way I can remind her of bringing a change of clothes and nap items also at the same time. I'm still going to e-mail her, but for now just wondering if I should just cancel my plans for her for Friday. I don't have anyone else scheduled that day so wanted to take advantage and do something that day. But if I should change my plans in order to be more "professional" since I provide childcare, then I will. I just don't want her getting the idea she can leave me hanging every week and expect me to not make any plans "just in case" someone needs me.
finsup 08:38 AM 12-07-2015
I don't know...she started working on thursday, and potentially didn't have a schedule that first day. It's only Monday, if you said it was OK (did you?) to just let you know when she finds out when dcb would be starting I think I would change my plans.
rosieteddy 08:42 AM 12-07-2015
Is she starting work that day? If she just wants a few days for him to be ready I would e-mail back that you have plans.You had already closed for that day.She should have let you know.You could offer wed & Thursday instead.I would have her bring everything signed and his supplies ahead of time.
childcaremom 08:55 AM 12-07-2015
I can see both sides. If she is just getting started, I would be inclined to offer a little bit of leniancy.

I would want his items and paperwork before Thursday. So I would probably request that you receive the items no later than tomorrow by 5 pm (or whatever, I would only give her until then, though).

I would also put in a policy whereby she needs to let you know the schedule for the following week by 5 pm on Friday (or whatever).

The way it is set up it almost seems like a drop in scenario. Does she have a set schedule each week or will it vary? If it varies, I would def. set a deadline for you to receive the upcoming week's schedule.

If it is a set schedule, I would lean towards changing plans to accomodate BUT it would hinge on her having the items you need by end of business day tomorrow. If she doesn't come, then I would not be available.

So I would wait to change my plans until tomorrow at 5:01 if I needed to.
Blackcat31 09:15 AM 12-07-2015
Personally for me it would depend on what the conversation was when DCM told you she had completed the orientation but didn't have a start date was.

If she said it would be in a few days or I'll let you know then I would accommodate her need for care.

If she said it could be weeks or who knows when, then I would tell her tough luck...

So again, it depends on what exactly was discussed/said in regards to the orientation.

Thursday until Monday isn't really that long (excluding the weekend since most job stuff isn't managed unless it's a weekday). Now if she said that Thursday and didn't text until Wednesday night I'd say no too but it sounds like she let you know as soon as she knew so if that is the case, I'd change my plans and provide care.
Thriftylady 09:18 AM 12-07-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Personally for me it would depend on what the conversation was when DCM told you she had completed the orientation but didn't have a start date was.

If she said it would be in a few days or I'll let you know then I would accommodate her need for care.

If she said it could be weeks or who knows when, then I would tell her tough luck...

So again, it depends on what exactly was discussed/said in regards to the orientation.

Thursday until Monday isn't really that long (excluding the weekend since most job stuff isn't managed unless it's a weekday). Now if she said that Thursday and didn't text until Wednesday night I'd say no too but it sounds like she let you know as soon as she knew so if that is the case, I'd change my plans and provide care.
I agree with this and also would factor in what my plans were. If it was a doctor or dentist, I would keep my plans.
Preschool/daycare teacher 12:24 PM 12-07-2015
Thank you everyone. I went ahead and canceled my plans and let her know I could watch him Thursday and Friday. When she picked dcb up on Thursday she said she didn't have any idea when it would be. If it would even be this week or not. But since it looks like she let me know as soon as she found out I decided to go ahead. As long as I get papers by Thursday at drop off that is.
daycare 12:45 PM 12-07-2015
Originally Posted by Preschool/daycare teacher:
Thank you everyone. I went ahead and canceled my plans and let her know I could watch him Thursday and Friday. When she picked dcb up on Thursday she said she didn't have any idea when it would be. If it would even be this week or not. But since it looks like she let me know as soon as she found out I decided to go ahead. As long as I get papers by Thursday at drop off that is.
I would make her come on Wednesday to bring all of the papers. This way you don't have to hold off on your plans until the last minute.

I require all of my clients to have paper work and cleared payment in before I will provide services.
daycarediva 09:47 AM 12-08-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
I would make her come on Wednesday to bring all of the papers. This way you don't have to hold off on your plans until the last minute.

I require all of my clients to have paper work and cleared payment in before I will provide services.
AGREED! She already knowingly dropped him off without them before, she will probably pull that again.

Next time- give a deadline. Let me know NO LATER than X at X time or I will be unable to accommodate you.
Reply Up