Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
1 2
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Does Anyone Have Experience With A Dck Who May Have Seizures? Questions/Rant..
melilley 01:47 PM 09-04-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi;a2614:
Oh sheesh... Febrile seizures, while scary, are actually really common and don't even need a trip to the ER. They've found that it's not always how high the temp is but how quickly it increases that cause febrile seizures. I don't think that's even a "condition" they would treat with anti-seizure meds let alone Diastat! my friend's son was diagnosed with Epilepsy this year at 8 and they just now, even after being on meds for awhile and not well controlled, put in a request for Diastat. So that's not like the first line of action in those cases.
What would be difficult is facing cold/flu season knowing if he gets a fever that you have to treat it swift and hard to try and prevent the seizure.
I wouldn't term over a single febrile seizure personally. A seizure disorder and a one time febrile seizure are very different animals!
This is what I thought about febrile seizures.
Grrrr! I wish she would have explained better the first time! I don't get why they would give them meds just in case.

I think I'm going to see what the neurologist says and go from there, BUT I am going to require documentation.

Even though mom is a nutcase and a drama queen, I do care for dcb.
Blackcat31 01:58 PM 09-04-2014
melilly have you Googled Diastat at all?

LOTS of good info out there.

These two paragraphs were taken from Web MD and emedicine/health;

This medication is used to treat episodes of increased seizures (e.g., acute repetitive seizures, breakthrough seizures) in people who are already taking medications to control their seizures. This product is only recommended for short-term treatment of seizure attacks. It is not for ongoing daily use to prevent seizures. Uncontrolled seizures can turn into serious (possibly fatal) seizures that do not stop (status epilepticus).

This medication is usually given by a caregiver to the person who is having a seizure. Not all types of seizures can be treated with diazepam rectal. If you are the caregiver, do not give this medication unless you know how to recognize the symptoms of a seizure episode that should be treated with diazepam rectal

Just from what I've read it doesn't sound like they would prescribe this med for febrile seizures.
craftymissbeth 02:01 PM 09-04-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

This medication is used to treat episodes of increased seizures (e.g., acute repetitive seizures, breakthrough seizures) in people who are already taking medications to control their seizures. This product is only recommended for short-term treatment of seizure attacks. It is not for ongoing daily use to prevent seizures. Uncontrolled seizures can turn into serious (possibly fatal) seizures that do not stop (status epilepticus).

This medication is usually given by a caregiver to the person who is having a seizure. Not all types of seizures can be treated with diazepam rectal. If you are the caregiver, do not give this medication unless you know how to recognize the symptoms of a seizure episode that should be treated with diazepam rectal

Just from what I've read it doesn't sound like they would prescribe this med for febrile seizures.
From WebMD:

"Rectal diazepam (Diastat) also can reduce the risk of febrile seizures if taken at the time of a fever"

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...n/con-20021016
Blackcat31 02:06 PM 09-04-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
From WebMD:

"Rectal diazepam (Diastat) also can reduce the risk of febrile seizures if taken at the time of a fever"

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...n/con-20021016
Oh...I wasn't saying it wasn't for sure used for that, (I have NO clue...hence the Googling..) just that there is a TON of info out there but the biggest thing I did pick up was for a caregiver to NOT give it if they didn't know what it was for.

Sounded to me like DCM gave provider the diastat and said to use it if needed but didn't say it was for epilepsy, febrile seizures or just for the fun of it...kwim?

I just wouldn't proceed with dispensing ANYTHING until I had written instructions from an MD. period.
NightOwl 02:09 PM 09-04-2014
Febrile seizures! That's a whole new ballgame!! They can occur only once as a fluke due to rapidly rising fevers. But that DOES mean dcb is more prone to them in the future.

I agree that, if you decide to keep him, you insist on written, SPECIFIC instructions from the doctor and a release statement from mom allowing you to speak directly with the Dr office should you have any questions or issues.
TwinKristi 02:10 PM 09-04-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
This is what I thought about febrile seizures.
Grrrr! I wish she would have explained better the first time! I don't get why they would give them meds just in case.

I think I'm going to see what the neurologist says and go from there, BUT I am going to require documentation.

Even though mom is a nutcase and a drama queen, I do care for dcb.
Absolutely get documentation from every physician he sees with a "plan of action" spelled out for you. I personally wouldn't use Diastat in childcare to "prevent" a seizure. Tylenol or Motrin orally (rectally MAYBE?) but Diastat is a heavy duty drug.

Just found this...
http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/f...e_seizures.htm
melilley 02:19 PM 09-04-2014

I looked it up and read the insert that comes with it and the part that you wrote in bold is what I read and when I read that, that's what freaked me out, along with it saying that a caregiver should be trained in how to use the med.
melilley 02:28 PM 09-04-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
Absolutely get documentation from every physician he sees with a "plan of action" spelled out for you. I personally wouldn't use Diastat in childcare to "prevent" a seizure. Tylenol or Motrin orally (rectally MAYBE?) but Diastat is a heavy duty drug.

Just found this...
http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/f...e_seizures.htm
I figured. I talked to my sis who is a RN and she said it's a narcotic. I told mom that I wasn't comfortable using it and she said she understands and to just call 911. I also told her that we would see what the neurologist says and go from there. I also told her the other day that I do need a plan of action.

A few days ago, I was so ready to term because of the way mom talked to me about it at first, along with the supervision issue, along with the literature that I read about that med and they way they just nonchalantly handed it to me like it's otc med, and just the way this family is in general, but now that I've calmed down and she said he had a high fever so he had a febrile seizure, I think I'll see what the doc says.
TwinKristi 02:34 PM 09-04-2014
That's always hard. The unknown is more scary than the known! Having taken anti-seizure meds, I wouldn't give them unless they were "needed" and for me the side effects from the meds are just not worth it IF you know it's a febrile seizure. They usually don't even do anything with only 1 fluke seizure or cluster. Once they've had 2 they usually start looking into why and try to prevent them.
I think the parents just didn't know and probably felt over reacting was better than under reacting but not realizing what that does to us! LOL!
Glad things seem like they're getting back on track and her usual level of dysfunctional! Haha!!
melilley 02:49 PM 09-04-2014
That's always hard. The unknown is more scary than the known! Having taken anti-seizure meds, I wouldn't give them unless they were "needed" and for me the side effects from the meds are just not worth it IF you know it's a febrile seizure. They usually don't even do anything with only 1 fluke seizure or cluster. Once they've had 2 they usually start looking into why and try to prevent them.
I think the parents just didn't know and probably felt over reacting was better than under reacting but not realizing what that does to us! LOL!
Glad things seem like they're getting back on track and her usual level of dysfunctional! Haha!!
Lol!
Dcm also told me that her older son who is 4, had a seizure when he was younger. It seems like her boys have everything under the sun. Allergies to red dye, gluten, dairy (Dr. note says an intolerance, but they treat it as an allergy), younger dcb may have diabetes, younger dcb does have asthma, older dcb was observed to see if he was on the autism spectrum because he showed signs, but the things she said that he did, he never did it here, (dcm thinks that every time the boys act up, even if it's something that's developmentally appropriate, that they must have gotten into something and that's why they are acting up or something may be wrong), speech delays (younger dcb), Oh I can't remember what else she has had them tested or observed for.

I'm not saying that they don't have any of these things, but it kind of seems like she looks for things. I may be wrong, but it does.
TwinKristi 02:53 PM 09-04-2014
I remember your stories about her... She's the munchausen mom!
melilley 03:05 PM 09-04-2014
I remember your stories about her... She's the munchausen mom!
Yes!
I honestly almost termed when dcb was an infant because of her (and he cried all the time) and even had a letter made out, but I stuck it out. I never really bonded with dcb, but lately I've become more attached. He gave me a big hug today before he left and my heart turned to mush. It's not his fault that his mother is the way she is. But if it does turn out to be serious, I will have to term. I wish I knew more! Things eat at me and I go back and forth on what to do. That's my whole life though...lol Dh always gets mad at me because I can't make a decision for my life..lol
KiddieCahoots 03:06 PM 09-04-2014
Written instructions for ALL possible scenarios from the child's doctor.

In situations like this, I would not accept the parents word....I would need detailed instructions about the child's condition (even if only temporary) AND written instructions from the child's doctor and/or neurologist in regards to plan of action BEFORE and AFTER.
.............Definitely!
melilley 03:12 PM 09-04-2014
Written instructions for ALL possible scenarios from the child's doctor.

In situations like this, I would not accept the parents word....I would need detailed instructions about the child's condition (even if only temporary) AND written instructions from the child's doctor and/or neurologist in regards to plan of action BEFORE and AFTER.
Great advice! I'm going to tell them that I need all of this!
NightOwl 03:35 PM 09-04-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
I figured. I talked to my sis who is a RN and she said it's a narcotic. I told mom that I wasn't comfortable using it and she said she understands and to just call 911. I also told her that we would see what the neurologist says and go from there. I also told her the other day that I do need a plan of action.

A few days ago, I was so ready to term because of the way mom talked to me about it at first, along with the supervision issue, along with the literature that I read about that med and they way they just nonchalantly handed it to me like it's otc med, and just the way this family is in general, but now that I've calmed down and she said he had a high fever so he had a febrile seizure, I think I'll see what the doc says.
Good for you. I feel like, if you termed now, you would always wonder if it was the right thing to do. He may never have a seizure again. At least this way, you'll have all of the info after the neuro visit and can decide then.
Tags:idea act, seizures
1 2
Reply Up