Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare In Basements Without a Bathroom...
WImom 11:20 AM 08-26-2013
Anyone can answer but I'd like to know if anyone in WI does daycare in the basement without a bathroom.

Right now I have a seperate 1st floor space for daycare with a bathroom. I'm thinking of adding an egress window to my basement to use for naps and music time/indoor large motor in Winter. This would expand my space. I want to use the basement for naps so I can spread out kids more since it seems early wakers are waking up others and this will give me so much more room.

My bathroom is not in the basement though. Can I just send kids up to use the bathroom? Get those baby monitors with video?
Play Care 01:23 PM 08-26-2013
Originally Posted by WImom:
Anyone can answer but I'd like to know if anyone in WI does daycare in the basement without a bathroom.

Right now I have a seperate 1st floor space for daycare with a bathroom. I'm thinking of adding an egress window to my basement to use for naps and music time/indoor large motor in Winter. This would expand my space. I want to use the basement for naps so I can spread out kids more since it seems early wakers are waking up others and this will give me so much more room.

My bathroom is not in the basement though. Can I just send kids up to use the bathroom? Get those baby monitors with video?
In my state the rule is that a child who is fully potty trained (capable of doing it all by themselves - clothing, wiping, hand washing, etc.) can use a bathroom on a separate floor. I've debated moving dc into my basement but not having a bathroom down there is holding me back. Even my older kids have times where they "forget" how to use the bathroom appropriately I suppose though if you only plan on certain activities down in your basement you can have everyone use the bathroom beforehand. And then have everyone one use it as soon as you come up to cut down on trips up and down.
Heidi 04:34 PM 08-26-2013
WI does not specify the bathroom thing, just "sight OR sound". A monitor would give you that.

Should you decide to confirm this with your licenser, I highly suggest you EMAIL her and ask for a written response. This way, you can save it for your files. When your licenser changes, there won't be any questions about what you were told.
Familycare71 04:45 PM 08-26-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
WI does not specify the bathroom thing, just "sight OR sound". A monitor would give you that.

Should you decide to confirm this with your licenser, I highly suggest you EMAIL her and ask for a written response. This way, you can save it for your files. When your licenser changes, there won't be any questions about what you were told.
. Not only my state does this!?!
WImom 07:04 PM 08-26-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:

THANKS! I had planned on emailing them once I knew for sure and that is a great idea about the email "paper" trail!! We all know how our licensors like to change minds from one meeting to the next.
Reply Up