Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Adding a back to 9 cube shelves
Baby Beluga 06:21 PM 07-01-2015
Has anyone done this?

I would like to rearrange my shelves so they are not all against a wall, but the back side of the shelves is raw. No paint and some open cubbies. I would like to add a back to cover the entire back for a more seamless look, but wanted to see if anyone here had done so first and how it turned out.
Thriftylady 07:53 PM 07-01-2015
I don't have the space so all mine is against a wall. But you can get some think plywood cheap and paint or stain it. Or if you wanted to spend more you could get plexiglass. One other option may be putting them together back to back, so you have two of them backs together.
AmyKidsCo 08:08 PM 07-01-2015
I have not, but I used pegboard to replace the cardboard back on two of those cheap shelf units, and it worked great. I'd use pegboard over plywood because it's thinner and lighter. (Maybe cheaper too, but I don't remember)
Sunshine74 09:56 PM 07-01-2015
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
I have not, but I used pegboard to replace the cardboard back on two of those cheap shelf units, and it worked great. I'd use pegboard over plywood because it's thinner and lighter. (Maybe cheaper too, but I don't remember)
I second the pegboard suggestion. Then you can use the backs to either hang things from, or we have velcro on ours for various activities. We got ours from Home Depot, and they even cut them for us.
Baby Beluga 07:48 AM 07-02-2015
Awesome! I am off to Home Depot today
Reply Up