Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Have You Ever Suggested Head Start Program To A Family?
My Lil' Monkeys 06:34 AM 01-18-2011
I've talked about the new family that I have. The 3rd old girl is really smart and could really benefit from a preschool program. She's potty trained and knows her colors and shapes. With my group I don't do the preschool activities we color, paint, do play doh, sing and dance and read.

A couple weeks ago I suggested to her mom about going to a preschool program and dcm said dcd won't pay for it. Well I know that dcm might be able to do the head start program. I'm wondering how I go about telling dcm and dcd about head start. I called my local one and they said they could only give the parent an information packet.

I'm just wondering if it's not my place to say anything? or can I suggest it? I'm just looking out for the child and I think she could really use it plus she would be with kids her age and I would still have her in the afternoon or if mom decides she can go in the afternoon sense mom doesn't want her to nap anyway.

Thank You for helping
SandeeAR 06:39 AM 01-18-2011
You might start here for basic info.......http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/ohs/
My Lil' Monkeys 07:10 AM 01-18-2011
Originally Posted by SandeeAR:
You might start here for basic info.......http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/ohs/
Thank You!!
Crystal 07:13 AM 01-18-2011
Just an FYI: the things you are doing "we color, paint, do play doh, sing and dance and read. " ARE preschool activities! Don't sell yourself short!
jen 07:56 AM 01-18-2011
I agree...you are doing preschool activities. I have limited experience with headstart, but the kids I knew who attended, didn't do it because they were ahead of the game, it was because they were behind.
SilverSabre25 08:01 AM 01-18-2011
Originally Posted by jen:
I agree...you are doing preschool activities. I have limited experience with headstart, but the kids I knew who attended, didn't do it because they were ahead of the game, it was because they were behind.
Big ditto to this. Head Start is geared for At Risk children and there is no discernible benefit for children who are not "at risk". You are doing preschool stuff--more than you realize, probably.
Unregistered 08:13 AM 01-18-2011
Not everyone can get into the headstart program the child has to come from a low income family, have a learning disability, or not speak English. My oldest went to head start because we where considered low income back then. He loved it and it was a great start to real school. I do suggest if they fall into the catorgies above you give them the information if not they would just be wasting there time.
Blackcat31 08:34 AM 01-18-2011
I worked at Head Start for 5 years...we taught kids the basics like self care and staying clean. IMHO, I think Head Start is a family geared program that teaches parents and their kids who as pp'er mentioned are behind in social skills, basic living skills etc. It is aimed at helping the kids who are behind catch up to the rest. Part of our job was to teach the parents how to make sure they were taking their child to the well-child checks regualrly and how to prepare nutritious meals and get enough sleep etc.
Maybe you could suggest to this mom to have her dd enrolled in some community education classes such as art or music or dance lessons. Many times a child will be on top of the game and just needs to be occupied on a higher level.
Blackcat31 08:36 AM 01-18-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Not everyone can get into the headstart program the child has to come from a low income family, have a learning disability, or not speak English. My oldest went to head start because we where considered low income back then. He loved it and it was a great start to real school. I do suggest if they fall into the catorgies above you give them the information if not they would just be wasting there time.
This is not true. Low income families are given priority but if space is available then families who are over the income guidelines are enrolled into the program. In my area, we have atleast 1/3 of the families who attend make or exceed the income guideline levels. Also children who have any type of physical or mental disablity are given priority into the program no matter what the income level of the family.
melskids 09:02 AM 01-18-2011
i have recommended head start for a 3 yd old dcb i had a while back. but like others mentioned, it was because he was behind, not because he was ahead.
luci 07:45 PM 01-27-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
This is not true. Low income families are given priority but if space is available then families who are over the income guidelines are enrolled into the program. In my area, we have atleast 1/3 of the families who attend make or exceed the income guideline levels. Also children who have any type of physical or mental disablity are given priority into the program no matter what the income level of the family.
I'm confused because always thought that my son can't go to a early head start, im really really want to go to school to learn english because "my english" is too bad, and i want my ged, but i looked everywhere places, programs, etc. and they closed me the doors :-( and one more thing, our income is little high but we can't pay private day care... so I read your comment and I gave hope...
QualiTcare 10:15 PM 01-27-2011
it depends on the head start program. the teacher is what makes or breaks a classroom. i've seen daycare centers i didn't have very high opinions of that i would suggest to parents over a particular head start in my area. i'm sure there are head starts that are WONDERFUL. that's the way it is in general. there are "great schools" who have crappy teachers and there are "crappy" or low income schools who have great teachers. so, yeah, don't assume head start will be better than your program just because they are supposed to be "educational."
QualiTcare 10:17 PM 01-27-2011
Originally Posted by luci:
I'm confused because always thought that my son can't go to a early head start, im really really want to go to school to learn english because "my english" is too bad, and i want my ged, but i looked everywhere places, programs, etc. and they closed me the doors :-( and one more thing, our income is little high but we can't pay private day care... so I read your comment and I gave hope...
lots of times head starts don't fill up because parents can't work with the schedule or they just change their mind about sending their child. when that happens, they have open slots and children are accepted who normally wouldn't be based on income. there are many factors such as income, parent's level of education, employment, marital status, etc. that head start takes into consideration.
luci 07:03 PM 01-28-2011
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
lots of times head starts don't fill up because parents can't work with the schedule or they just change their mind about sending their child. when that happens, they have open slots and children are accepted who normally wouldn't be based on income. there are many factors such as income, parent's level of education, employment, marital status, etc. that head start takes into consideration.
I appreciate you attention, and you know if we need to pay a fee for it?
QualiTcare 08:08 PM 01-29-2011
Originally Posted by luci:
I appreciate you attention, and you know if we need to pay a fee for it?
if you were accepted, there would be no fee. it is federally funded which is why they accept children who have the most need financially and otherwise first. i do know lots of children who are considered ELL (english language learners) or ESL (english as a second language) are accepted on a regular basis.
bridgetokindergarten 12:11 PM 02-01-2011
By all means tell the family about Head Start. She can apply and see what happens. Head Start is an awesome program and it doesn't cost anything for the kids who are accepted. I used to work for Head Start and we would accept many Hispanic children, developmentally-delayed kids, and a few children who were over-income. We accepted a few over-income Asian-American kids so that we could diversify the student population. Most of the Asian-American kids spoke perfect English, so I know it probabl wasn't about them being English language learners. It's hard to tell how they base their enrollment criteria. It's best just to apply and see what happens.
Tags:head start
Reply Up