Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Incentive for Parent Review?
Baby Beluga 05:23 AM 02-12-2015
I have a public FB page that is dual purpose - I post photos of activities for parents to see (no names or faces of children) and I use it in my advertising for prospective parents to see what a typical week here looks like.

Families have liked the page, liked individual posts and made positive comments on the photos - but no on has posted a review yet.

I was thinking of offering parents $5 off one week of tuition if they would write a review on the FB page. Is that weird or acceptable in this business?
Blackcat31 05:31 AM 02-12-2015
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
I have a public FB page that is dual purpose - I post photos of activities for parents to see (no names or faces of children) and I use it in my advertising for prospective parents to see what a typical week here looks like.

Families have liked the page, liked individual posts and made positive comments on the photos - but no on has posted a review yet.

I was thinking of offering parents $5 off one week of tuition if they would write a review on the FB page. Is that weird or acceptable in this business?
I'll be honest here, I would be a bit turned off if my provider asked me to do that (especially with the monetary incentive attached). It would almost make me think that you are having to pay people to give good reviews and I would immediately wonder why or what's the "real" issue going on....kwim?

Instead, I would maybe write up a memo or note telling parents how important feedback is to your business and since you genuinely appreciate their patronage you would really appreciate it if they would maybe consider writing a review to post publically as word of mouth from current clients is THE best compliment a business owner can receive. etc etc...

That would be something I would be more inclined to do....

I don't know, people are strange and will do most anything for a buck or attention now days so I may be way off base but that's my two cents.
Baby Beluga 05:38 AM 02-12-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I'll be honest here, I would be a bit turned off if my provider asked me to do that (especially with the monetary incentive attached). It would almost make me think that you are having to pay people to give good reviews and I would immediately wonder why or what's the "real" issue going on....kwim?

Instead, I would maybe write up a memo or note telling parents how important feedback is to your business and since you genuinely appreciate their patronage you would really appreciate it if they would maybe consider writing a review to post publically as word of mouth from current clients is THE best compliment a business owner can receive. etc etc...

That would be something I would be more inclined to do....

I don't know, people are strange and will do most anything for a buck or attention now days so I may be way off base but that's my two cents.
I am so glad you said this! I thought similar - how would I feel if someone asked me? Personally I would feel bribed. But I also know a lot of providers attach money to stop a negative behavior, so I thought perhaps it would work to encourage a positive one too.
Blackcat31 05:41 AM 02-12-2015
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
I am so glad you said this! I thought similar - how would I feel if someone asked me? Personally I would feel bribed. But I also know a lot of providers attach money to stop a negative behavior, so I thought perhaps it would work to encourage a positive one too.
It probably would

.......but I (as the provider) would kind of feel like all the reviews then were less than genuine...kwim?

If you wanted to do something nice AFTER they write a review that would be a nice gesture and sincere too.
spinnymarie 10:35 AM 02-12-2015
I agree with simply asking first And then baking them some cookies when they say something nice
Controlled Chaos 03:15 PM 02-12-2015
I think it depends. When I went from unlicensed to licensed I had been caring for the same 3 families for three years. I asked them so write me a review/testimonial for my website and recommended other placed they could copy and paste it if they wanted. I gave them each a $25 coupon off the next months tuition. It was presented as a thank you for helping me start up my business and being patient though location changes, policy changes etc. I don't think they would have thought "why is she paying for a review" when there were only 3 families total, they always were appreciative and thankful of my services and knew each other well. IDK maybe because it was such a transitional time and they were such close families it seemed like a thank you coupon rather than a bribe...I hope they saw it that way. I also am not a baker or crafter, if I was I would have done cookies or something.
Blackcat31 03:27 PM 02-12-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
I think it depends. When I went from unlicensed to licensed I had been caring for the same 3 families for three years. I asked them so write me a review/testimonial for my website and recommended other placed they could copy and paste it if they wanted. I gave them each a $25 coupon off the next months tuition. It was presented as a thank you for helping me start up my business and being patient though location changes, policy changes etc. I don't think they would have thought "why is she paying for a review" when there were only 3 families total, they always were appreciative and thankful of my services and knew each other well. IDK maybe because it was such a transitional time and they were such close families it seemed like a thank you coupon rather than a bribe...I hope they saw it that way. I also am not a baker or crafter, if I was I would have done cookies or something.
Did you tell them you would give them a $25 coupon IF they were patient through all those changes or to write a positive review or did you do it afterwards and they didn't know you were going to give it?

That's the difference to me. Saying/showing your appreciation is one thing. Paying them to write a good review is totally different.
Starburst 10:12 AM 02-13-2015
I think there are other ways to get incentive without money. You can gently remind parents that reviews and feedback is always welcome. You can also give annual surveys/questionnaires/performance reviews and post the results anonymously (or with first name and last initial with permission of course).

I remember VanessaM mentioning her daycare clients saying they don't tell their friends about her because of how good she is (I guess they're afraid she'll become in demand and raise rates or something). Maybe a gentle reminder that full enrollment will help you to keep tuition rates affordable (you won't have to raise rates to get by with less kids).

Maybe if you can even ask the kids what the think about your program and post their quotes online (with parents permission before releasing names or using pseudo names).
KiddieCahoots 10:34 AM 02-13-2015
I'm torn, I see both sides....but even Tom C. suggest a similar incentive in his marketing book by offering a coupon of one week free childcare, or something of similar value, to current clients that refer new clients to you. And give the coupon to your current clients after the new clients have been with you for a month.
In a business, money is the incentive, and most times you have to spend money to make money
Reply Up