Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Simple Solutions To Age Old Childcare Problems....
Cat Herder 07:59 AM 03-13-2011
I was frustrated that the DCB's kept tossing the balls over the fence, so DH, being thoughtful, bought some tether balls and attached them to large (spiral in-ground) dog "tie outs", instead.

Bring it on, Monday.....

It is a constant battle to be one step ahead of ever adaptable kids....

What are some of your Simple Solutions???
Childminder 08:39 AM 03-13-2011
Duct Tape? Velcro suits? Actually had a dcb that insisted on tossing our balls over the fence. He was made my shadow while the other kids had great fun playing with the balls for a few days and we made a big deal of how much fun they were having without him.
Lianne 09:49 AM 03-13-2011
When the kids are bickering a lot and just getting in each other's faces, I pull out my hula hoops and each child has to sit in the hoop, all body parts in and I give them a toy to play with, alone in the hoop. I leave them there for 20mins then switch the kids and hoops around for another 20mins. They can then go play nicely or switch hoops again.
jen 11:58 AM 03-13-2011
Cat, let us know how that works out! I have the problem too, but I am pretty sure my kids would end up tangled up in the tether.
Cat Herder 12:04 PM 03-13-2011
Will do, Jen...

I only have two old enough/coordinated to play with them so we marked one with blue sharpie and one with green sharpie, that way they know which is "theirs"... (their pillows, blankets, cups, etc. are the same)

Fingers crossed.....
Attached: concertmarch 008.jpg (125.9 KB) tie out.jpg (6.2 KB) 
Meyou 05:32 AM 03-14-2011
My biggest battles are over blocks....despite there being at least 4 billion of them they all want the same one at the same time. My solution was to remove them from the playroom and put them at one end of a long hallway that the playroom opens off of. No more than 2 friends at a time at the blocks. I also set up 2 other "stations" with coloring and books. Basically centers that stay out all day long with a maximum of 2 friends each. But since they're out of the playroom everyone seems to be able to keep their manners better. lol
R&R 06:17 AM 03-14-2011
Originally Posted by Lianne:
When the kids are bickering a lot and just getting in each other's faces, I pull out my hula hoops and each child has to sit in the hoop, all body parts in and I give them a toy to play with, alone in the hoop. I leave them there for 20mins then switch the kids and hoops around for another 20mins. They can then go play nicely or switch hoops again.
This is confinement and is not appropriate or legal. How about redirecting them into individual art activities?
littlemissmuffet 06:29 AM 03-14-2011
Not really a solution, but a fun tip...

we double our sleep mats as gym mats and also use them to build forts!
DBug 08:08 AM 03-14-2011

This is confinement and is not appropriate or legal. How about redirecting them into individual art activities?

Seriously? How is it different than putting a child in a play yard? Cuz I do that all the time when they start bickering, and I don't want to be doing anything I shouldn't. I'm just not sure what the alternative would be with the space I have ...
QualiTcare 08:14 AM 03-14-2011
instead of saying "she couldn't find her way out of a paper bag" i'm gonna start saying "she couldn't find her way out of a hula hoop"

SERIOUSLY? confinement?

i would LOVE to see the law that backs that up.
dEHmom 08:20 AM 03-14-2011
confinement? seriously? tick tick tick

Fact is: Kids as much as adults sometimes just need a few minutes away to recoop themselves. Being around other kids all day can be just as over stimulating as watching television.

it's a time out, although lianne I think the 20 minutes and then switch for 20 minutes is quite lengthy, maybe 5 mins? or an age appropriate time out is more likely.
Unregistered 08:24 AM 03-14-2011
Seems like its time for some organized play with balls!

Make a low net, look for an adjustable volley ball set.

Make a goal or basket.

It seems like just throwing is not challenging enough - so over the fence is the next step. Getting you mad or to go get it is the 'reward!'.

Give them another way to score, and reward their development.

They grow, you know.
Cat Herder 11:06 AM 03-14-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Seems like its time for some organized play with balls!

Make a low net, look for an adjustable volley ball set.

Make a goal or basket.

It seems like just throwing is not challenging enough - so over the fence is the next step. Getting you mad or to go get it is the 'reward!'.

Give them another way to score, and reward their development.

They grow, you know.
Great ideas, Thanks!!!

It really was not so much that they were making me mad by requiring me to go get them.... I just have to replace them as "over our fence" is a hill that leads to a river....

We already have bean bag toss, basketball, T-ball, golf, tunnels to roll balls through, slides to drop balls down, tennis balls to dump in liquid chalk and roll down the sidewalk...etc.

My first playground experience with a group was 23 years ago, so I should have a plan by now, right...

It's just Nothing compares to seeing balls go downstream.....

Eh, I will just order another gross of inflatable beach balls and call it a day... The neighborhood kids love them, too, and occasionally return them

Jen,

Well, the dog ties were a big 'ole FAIL. It was way more fun to try to dig them up or spiral them out. Did give me an idea for some quiet afternoon play-time with gears, though...

Keep other creative ideas coming.....
Cat Herder 11:17 AM 03-14-2011
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
instead of saying "she couldn't find her way out of a paper bag" i'm gonna start saying "she couldn't find her way out of a hula hoop"

SERIOUSLY? confinement?

i would LOVE to see the law that backs that up.
I can't breathe!!!

I remember we used those in Elementary school for reading time, too.

I LIVED for those things because it was the ONLY time of day someone was not touching me in Elementary School. Kids have no respect for personal space. It never failed, the slimy kid ALWAYS sat next to me....

I'm not bitter about it or anything Turns out it was preparation for my current business. Who knew....
jen 11:21 AM 03-14-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
I can't breathe!!!

I remember we used those in Elementary school for reading time, too.

I LIVED for those things because it was the ONLY time of day someone was not touching me in Elementary School. Kids have no respect for personal space. It never failed, the slimy kid ALWAYS sat next to me....

I'm not bitter about it or anything Turns out it was preparation for my current business. Who knew....
OMG! You are right!!! I totally remember that too!! Gosh, I haven't thought about that in years! Somehow the whole hula-hoop thing made it so much more fun to sit and read!
dEHmom 11:23 AM 03-14-2011
What about getting a trolly system? Like for the dogs chains, but hooking up a tether ball to this, and having it just low enough for them to reach it, but not actually grab it?

DON'T FLAME ME I am not sure of your licensing regs whether this is allowed, but If it's kept put away when you are not there, I don't see it being an issue personally. Just a suggestion.

I tied a milk jug to a tree for my dogs to get. High enough that they could only just reach it without grabbing it and destroying it. It worked out a lot of their energy.
jen 11:23 AM 03-14-2011
Jen,

Well, the dog ties were a big 'ole FAIL. It was way more fun to try to dig them up or spiral them out. Did give me an idea for some quiet afternoon play-time with gears, though...

Keep other creative ideas coming.....
Oh well! It was worth a shot! I have a big field behind my house, behind the field is a highway...well, the coutry version of a Hwy! Two lanes with a speed limit of 40! I can't leave the fence to get the ball and half the time it's gone before I can get out there to retrieve it!
WImom 11:27 AM 03-14-2011
That has me thinking. I wonder if hula hoops would work for circle time? I just saw hula hoops at the $1 store the other day.

Not sure who is was but thanks for the tennis ball, liquid chalk idea. My kids would love that.
Cat Herder 11:49 AM 03-14-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
What about getting a trolly system? Like for the dogs chains, but hooking up a tether ball to this, and having it just low enough for them to reach it, but not actually grab it?

DON'T FLAME ME I am not sure of your licensing regs whether this is allowed, but If it's kept put away when you are not there, I don't see it being an issue personally. Just a suggestion.

I tied a milk jug to a tree for my dogs to get. High enough that they could only just reach it without grabbing it and destroying it. It worked out a lot of their energy.
I am sorry if I ever came off as flaming you.. If I did I don't remember the topic, it may have been about something that hit too close to home? Please never hesitate to send me a PM and just ask what I meant... ok?? I am "literal" alot and that gives way for misunderstanding of my intent. I am very aware of it and will never be offended if you ask

I love the idea and it would work great later. I am also imagining using it to hang paper and let them "paint" with water squirter's this summer.

These little guys just turned two and are currently into kicking and throwing, so they must be on the ground....
dEHmom 11:52 AM 03-14-2011
I am sorry if I ever came off as flaming you.. If I did I don't remember the topic, it may have been about something that hit too close to home? Please never hesitate to send me a PM and just ask what I meant... ok?? I am "literal" alot and that gives way for misunderstanding of my intent. I am very aware of it and will never be offended if you ask

I love the idea and it would work great later. I am also imagining using it to hang paper and let them "paint" with water squirter's this summer.

These little guys just turned two and are currently into kicking and throwing, so they must be on the ground....
hahahaha NO NO NO I didn't mean you!!!!!! but thank you for being such a sweetheart

I just was referring more to a certain someone who's been posting the last few days or even anyone else who might find this "inappropriate" or "dangerous" but I can't imagine it being any more dangerous than a swingset to set up a trolley and hang a big ball from it. I just didn't know if this was something in the regs stating you cannot have it.

you could maybe install it lower to the ground, by the sounds of it you are surrounded by a fence? so the ball in low enough they can kick or throw it over the line, but not low enough that it's a choking hazard, and keep the line the ball is attached to short enough it's also not a hazard.
daycare 12:02 PM 03-14-2011
Originally Posted by R&R:
I hope that R&R stands for something other resource and referral because if it does you should hide yourself forever for providing this response.......
dEHmom 12:04 PM 03-14-2011
I honestly beginning to think it's a 15 yo who is just trying to "fit in" providing answers that sound good.
Cat Herder 12:05 PM 03-14-2011
Yep, a "picket" fenced in playground within another chain-link fence....and yes, they are just THAT good.... (I should mention ones Daddy played College ball )

I do know I cannot have anything tied on both ends for a fall hazard. That is why I thought the spiral tie out would work.... Yeah, not so much.

I guess it really is just one of those age old issues we will all deal with..

I am going to go with the smaller, more lightweight, beach balls in hopes they wont be able to "get enough spin" on the ball to get it over.....

Wish me luck
SilverSabre25 02:04 PM 03-14-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
I honestly beginning to think it's a 15 yo who is just trying to "fit in" providing answers that sound good.
In many of the cases, she's been "technically" right about the developmental aspect...but her answers seem to have a certain rigidity that IME comes from a lack of real-world exposure to the sorts of situations we encounter in our day to day experiences. They sound too much like textbook answers, not life experience answers (or even, textbook combined with life experience).
SilverSabre25 02:06 PM 03-14-2011
Cat...maybe it's time to put the balls away for awhile? When they ask, explain that if they can't keep the balls inside the fence then they aren't going to get to have the balls for awhile. Then in a week or so, try again, reminding them first that if the balls go outside the fence, they will be taken away again.
Cat Herder 02:28 PM 03-14-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
In many of the cases, she's been "technically" right about the developmental aspect...but her answers seem to have a certain rigidity that IME comes from a lack of real-world exposure to the sorts of situations we encounter in our day to day experiences. They sound too much like textbook answers, not life experience answers (or even, textbook combined with life experience).
I have been thinking about it since I left to clean up (I am now closed for the day). I think she may simply be telling us what the rules/regs State about it since that is what her job description says she is to do.

She could also be a literal "facts" person like me, naturally?

I know when I am on duty at my other job my "Official" responses sound tense, hard, blunt and often unintentionally hurtful....

I am really hoping for more ideas of what we CAN do instead of what we CAN'T DO... I am so hoping she sticks around, she has access to resources I don't and that would be so helpful. YKWIM?...
Symphony 03:06 PM 03-14-2011
My goodness, watching balls float down the river does sound like fun! That would be a big challenge to get them to keep them inside the fence.

Off the top of my head...

maybe on nice days the kids could use water guns or hoses to push the balls around

depending on your ages, you could make some natural (out of sticks/leaves) boats that would be appropritate to release down the river

maybe creating water games that keep their focus inside the yard, we like to fill shallow wading pools or rubbermaids with a little water and bobber or rubber ducks and give the kids fish nets to catch them

I also agree with the consequence that if balls cannot be played with without going over the fence, then the balls need to go away for awhile. I would give one more chance, with a special, very clear talk before you go outside.

I also fail to see how hula hoops are confinement. My regs state confinement is placing a child in a device that restricts movement for an extended length of time or in inappropriate ways. IE strapping a child in a high chair or swing for punishment, longer than DAP, or to isolate the child. The hula hoops are an appropriate solution because they allow the child to remain with the group, gives all children a break from one another, and gives them a tangible boundary for themselves and one another.
SilverSabre25 03:12 PM 03-14-2011
Originally Posted by Symphony:

I also fail to see how hula hoops are confinement. My regs state confinement is placing a child in a device that restricts movement for an extended length of time or in inappropriate ways. IE strapping a child in a high chair or swing for punishment, longer than DAP, or to isolate the child. The hula hoops are an appropriate solution because they allow the child to remain with the group, gives all children a break from one another, and gives them a tangible boundary for themselves and one another.
Well said; I don't know what my state's regs say since I don't have to follow them, but I actually think the hula hoops are a fantastic idea and I'm considering implementing it! I know that my DD in particular would appreciate having a tangible boundary like that which no one else could cross. I've been considering masking tape squares on the floor (a bit a la whoever it (Catherder?) who has those 3 ft x 3 ft "rooms" in her daycare space)--but Hula hoops might be simpler!

Sometimes, kids just need a good long break from each other to break the cycle of bickering...just like married couples, room mates, co-workers, and other groups of people who are with each other many hours each week in close quarters.

Oh, and I LOVE these ideas:
Originally Posted by :
maybe on nice days the kids could use water guns or hoses to push the balls around

depending on your ages, you could make some natural (out of sticks/leaves) boats that would be appropritate to release down the river

maybe creating water games that keep their focus inside the yard, we like to fill shallow wading pools or rubbermaids with a little water and bobber or rubber ducks and give the kids fish nets to catch them

Cat Herder 03:35 PM 03-14-2011
(a bit a la whoever it (Catherder?) who has those 3 ft x 3 ft "rooms" in her daycare space)--but Hula hoops might be simpler!
:
6ft X 6ft Trying to get me in trouble??

Here the regs say 35 sq ft per child, so I give them that, individually, plus a 500 sq ft group play area.

Oh, and two outdoor playgrounds....
Michael 03:50 PM 03-14-2011
Low this thread title.
SilverSabre25 03:56 PM 03-14-2011
6ft X 6ft Trying to get me in trouble??

Here the regs say 35 sq ft per child, so I give them that, individually, plus a 500 sq ft group play area.

Oh, and two outdoor playgrounds....
sorry! I am going to blame my pregnancy brain on that one

(honestly, I think you had said 36 sq ft and I did the math wrong...it came out right in my head, but you're right because 3 times 3 is 9, and 6 times 6 is 36...heh, heh, heh I meant well, I really did!)
Symphony 04:45 PM 03-14-2011
sorry! I am going to blame my pregnancy brain on that one (honestly, I think you had said 36 sq ft and I did the math wrong...it came out right in my head, but you're right because 3 times 3 is 9, and 6 times 6 is 36...heh, heh, heh I meant well, I really did!)
I like to say brain cells are excreeted through breastmilk With number 5 on the way, I'm not always the brightest bulb
SilverSabre25 05:00 PM 03-14-2011
Originally Posted by Symphony:
I like to say brain cells are excreeted through breastmilk With number 5 on the way, I'm not always the brightest bulb
Oh, I absolutely agree! I'm both 6.5 months pregnant AND still nursing (technically speaking; my 3 yo nurses but there's barely any milk/colostrum there at all) so I've got it BAD, lol.
Cat Herder 05:01 PM 03-14-2011
I think you are safe Silver...math is NOT my thing; pregnant or not...

I am glad you liked it, Michael. I thought it could be fun.

I hope it keeps going because the dreaded heat of summer will be here before you know it; that has a way of zapping my creativity like nothing else....
Cat Herder 06:08 PM 08-02-2011
Anyone have some simple solutions to other common problems???
MommyMuffin 06:51 PM 08-02-2011
I was frustrated that the DCB's kept tossing the balls over the fence, so DH, being thoughtful, bought some tether balls and attached them to large (spiral in-ground) dog "tie outs", instead.

Bring it on, Monday.....

It is a constant battle to be one step ahead of ever adaptable kids....

What are some of your Simple Solutions???
Very creative!
I'm not as easy going as you. When I say no throwing balls over the fence, I mean it. I would have taken the balls away and not given them back for a few days.
MommyMuffin 06:54 PM 08-02-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:
My biggest battles are over blocks....despite there being at least 4 billion of them they all want the same one at the same time. My solution was to remove them from the playroom and put them at one end of a long hallway that the playroom opens off of. No more than 2 friends at a time at the blocks. I also set up 2 other "stations" with coloring and books. Basically centers that stay out all day long with a maximum of 2 friends each. But since they're out of the playroom everyone seems to be able to keep their manners better. lol
This is what I do to. I do have a dcb that wont play unless he is with someone else though so when he gets his own area to build with blocks!!!! He cries.

But besides him, this really does wonders!
melskids 02:52 AM 08-03-2011
jumping in late...but i had to chuckle....

my R&R actually TOLD me to use hoola hoops as a way to give each child personal space!

mostly, we use them to build blocks in, so another child knows not to go in "susie's circle" and mess with it or knock it down.
Lianne 04:53 AM 08-03-2011
Originally Posted by melskids:
jumping in late...but i had to chuckle....

my R&R actually TOLD me to use hoola hoops as a way to give each child personal space!

mostly, we use them to build blocks in, so another child knows not to go in "susie's circle" and mess with it or knock it down.
I've done this when there was a lot of bickering happening. It wasn't a discipline tool so much as a way to regroup and refocus. The kids actually loved it when I'd pull the hula hoops out.
permanentvacation 05:56 AM 08-03-2011
Well, if you don't want them CONFINED in the hola hoops, she could just sit them in time out with absoutely nothing to do! At least she lets them play! She just needed to seperate them for a little while and keep them from irritating each other. I say...GO HULA HOOPS!!

I have done the same basic thing - except I used their sleeping bags that they use for nap time. I've done it a couple of ways. One way is to put the sleeping bags down and tell the kids that they can go back and forth to the toy shelves to get the different toys they want but they must play individually on their own sleeping bag. The second way when I place a specific set of toys on each sleeping bag (basically create play stations) and have the children play on each sleeping bag for a while then tell the children to switch sleeping bags (stations). The stations idea works better in my opinion. Because allowing the kids to constantly get up to get their own toys still allowed arguments at the toy shelves. The sations kept them still and quiet for a while.

I am a licensed provider in Maryland and my supervisor actually stopped by once when the kids were doing this. My supervisor actually liked the idea.
mac60 06:00 AM 08-03-2011
Originally Posted by R&R:

This is too funny, sorry but someone calling this confinement is exactly why these little hellions act the way they do. And seriously, since when is sitting a child on a mat, pillow, carpet square, or any other item considered confinement.
Cat Herder 06:05 AM 08-03-2011
Originally Posted by mac60:
This is too funny, sorry but someone calling this confinement is exactly why these little hellions act the way they do. And seriously, since when is sitting a child on a mat, pillow, carpet square, or any other item considered confinement.
Ever wonder if this is why Mimes exist? We created psychological damage by invisible confinement and they MUST spend their lives annoying society....
Tags:adaptable kids, advice, creative moment, ideas, neighbor issue, outside play, solutions, tips
Reply Up