Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would You Allow Vacation Days After They Gave Notice?
littlemommy 05:56 AM 02-28-2012
Had a parent give notice last week that they will be leaving. This Friday is her last day. Mom had 3 vacation days left (I give 7 for full timers) and she asked to use one for President's day and last Friday when DCG was home sick. I let it go and was out of pay for those days, but was just wondering if you would have let them have it? Technically they had until April to use up their vacation days, but it just annoyed me that they used them AFTER they gave notice. I was just tired of arguing!

Maybe I will add to my contract: After 2 weeks notice is given, vacation days may not be used.
Meeko 06:02 AM 02-28-2012
I have it in my contract that vacation time is voided as soon as notice is given and any remaining days cannot be used.

If it's not in your contract, you may want to let this one go and add it as soon as possible.
littlemommy 06:07 AM 02-28-2012
have you ever had anyone hurry up and use them right before they give notice?
Meeko 06:23 AM 02-28-2012
Originally Posted by littlemommy:
have you ever had anyone hurry up and use them right before they give notice?
One mom did a few years back. She was a PITA anyway and when she said she was going to use up her vacation time I told my husband "I bet she gives notice after she gets back" He said "Let's hope so!" She did. And we did the happy dance.
MrsB 06:36 AM 02-28-2012
I did have a family that asked to use their vacation time for the 2 weeks of care before their last 2 weeks of care and I allowed it. They were an awesome military family that were getting transferred out of state. They also gave me 2 months notice. They used their 2 weeks of vacation to go to where they were moving to and find a new place to live. Then he came back for his last 2 weeks of care, of which he was only there about 1/2 time.

I think if a parent was ever super sneaky and tried to get away with using vacation days when they had already given me notice, (and I was glad to see them go) I would consider waiting until they broke some little tiny rule and terminate them immediately.
wdmmom 08:00 AM 02-28-2012
If you allow 7 days per year, they haven't been there all year.

7 days vacation a year by 12 months a year = .58 days per month. Theyve been there 2 months this year which = 1.16 days that they've "Earned". If they've taken 2, that's all they get.

I wouldn't allow any more unpaid days off.
JenNJ 08:32 AM 02-28-2012
I'm with wdwmom. I wouldn't allow that anyway.

My contract says the final two weeks must be paid upfront when notice is given. They can stay or they can go, but either way I am being paid.

Vacation days aren't even mentioned in my contract. I have verbal agreements with SOME clients. I only offer that perk to families who follow ALL my rules. Sort of like a thank you or a "because I like you" perk. And the sooner they give me notice of a vacation, the more likely they are to get it as an unpaid day. 2 months notice -- sure. 2 weeks, probably not.
littlemommy 08:33 AM 02-28-2012
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
If you allow 7 days per year, they haven't been there all year.

7 days vacation a year by 12 months a year = .58 days per month. Theyve been there 2 months this year which = 1.16 days that they've "Earned". If they've taken 2, that's all they get.

I wouldn't allow any more unpaid days off.
They enrolled in April, so I have their vacation days end and restart in April.
wdmmom 08:53 AM 02-28-2012
Originally Posted by littlemommy:
They enrolled in April, so I have their vacation days end and restart in April.
I don't offer unpaid vacation. I do offer 1/2 off if their child will be gone for a full week and they provide me with a months notice.

Eliminate the FREE days and you won't have this problem. And, anytime notice is given, collect money up front to pay for their services through the last day they will be there.

This will solve confusion.

(It shouldn't matter if a family starts in April, June or November, it's too hard to keep track of who took what off when. Make things simpler for yourself.)
AnneCordelia 09:07 AM 02-28-2012
Vacation time is a perk I offer to my currently and ongoingly enrolled clients. It is something I offer so that my clients will continue to come back here instead of going to another daycare that offers free vacation. Once they have given notice I feel no need to take a financial hit from that client.

I have it written into my contract that vacation time may not be used during the 2 week paid notice period of terminating care. Clients also still much provide a paid two week's notice even if I am using my vacation time.
littlemissmuffet 09:10 AM 02-28-2012
I don't offer free vacation days, and I never will. But, if I did - I certainly would not allow them to be used after giving notice.

I simply can't afford to offer free or discounted vacation time. My parents generally take their vacations when I close the daycare for my vacations - and are still required to pay their usual fee in full. This way, however, they don't have to pay another provider to watch their children because they are.
daycare 09:28 AM 02-28-2012
I offer vacation days to full time families only.

Vacation cannot be used in conjunction with your last two weeks of care.
SunshineMama 10:22 AM 02-28-2012
I'm glad you asked this question- I'm going to add this to my policy.

It never ocurred to me that a parent would be so rude to do something like that; clearly the 2 weeks notice is a courtesy to us as providers so our income does not suffer during the transition
Tags:notice, time off
Reply Up