Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>2 Interviews----One Open Spot! Eeek! WWYD?
Razzledbrat 01:00 PM 10-02-2013
I kinda feel guilty here but here goes!

I had an interview last Sunday, Sept 22. Mom said she'd let me know in a day or two. I didnt hear from her so I kept my ad running.

I finally hear from her yesterday via text. She basically said "we love you but we are still deciding and would let me know "yesterday". Ps. We are really on a budget and can only afford , blah blah. Can u work with us?

Uggg...Ive had this opening since july so....I thought about it and told her I would negotiate since she will be providing food etc (its a newborn) for many months however when the baby starting eating/drinking table food, I would have to ask for an increase in rates because I would be providing food. (I decreased my rates by $25/week)

Well....while waiting for her decision, I recd another response regarding my opening. It is also for a newborn. I set up the interview for tonight.

I JUST now recd a text from baby #1 saying they have decided to let me take care of their baby!

She was supposed to let me know last night so I went ahead and set up this interview with baby #2 since I didnt hear from her.

Now what?

Business is business but I feel if baby #2 works out then why would I take a decrease in pay for baby #1? But then I feel guilty. But then....baby #1 never called back. Im arguing with myself. lol How would u handle this? I have not responded to baby #1's text telling me theyve "picked me'.

I want to be honest with her and let her know since I didnt hear from her I set up another interview. And if baby #2 works out Im taking them because they arent asking for a decrease. Uggg But it sounds mean. or does it? lol Im also afraid to say anything before I interview #2 because #1 may get offended and not bring her baby to me and then my luck...baby #2 wouldnt work out. lol

Both babies are newborns. Both time schedules are almost identical. One boy, one girl.

WWYD?
Reply
Unregistered 01:10 PM 10-02-2013
Interview the second child and don't respond until after the interview.
Reply
Laurel 01:11 PM 10-02-2013
Originally Posted by Razzledbrat:
I kinda feel guilty here but here goes!

I had an interview last Sunday, Sept 22. Mom said she'd let me know in a day or two. I didnt hear from her so I kept my ad running.

I finally hear from her yesterday via text. She basically said "we love you but we are still deciding and would let me know "yesterday". Ps. We are really on a budget and can only afford , blah blah. Can u work with us?

Uggg...Ive had this opening since july so....I thought about it and told her I would negotiate since she will be providing food etc (its a newborn) for many months however when the baby starting eating/drinking table food, I would have to ask for an increase in rates because I would be providing food. (I decreased my rates by $25/week)

Well....while waiting for her decision, I recd another response regarding my opening. It is also for a newborn. I set up the interview for tonight.

I JUST now recd a text from baby #1 saying they have decided to let me take care of their baby!

She was supposed to let me know last night so I went ahead and set up this interview with baby #2 since I didnt hear from her.

Now what?

Business is business but I feel if baby #2 works out then why would I take a decrease in pay for baby #1? But then I feel guilty. But then....baby #1 never called back. Im arguing with myself. lol How would u handle this? I have not responded to baby #1's text telling me theyve "picked me'.

I want to be honest with her and let her know since I didnt hear from her I set up another interview. And if baby #2 works out Im taking them because they arent asking for a decrease. Uggg But it sounds mean. or does it? lol Im also afraid to say anything before I interview #2 because #1 may get offended and not bring her baby to me and then my luck...baby #2 wouldnt work out. lol

Both babies are newborns. Both time schedules are almost identical. One boy, one girl.

WWYD?
Dear DCM#1,

Since I didn't hear from you I assumed you weren't interested and scheduled another interview for tonight.

I will let you know when I have made a decision either way.

Sincerely, DCP

She left you hanging not knowing what she was going to decide so I guess you can do likewise. She may even offer you the original amount knowing that someone else may want the slot.

I discounted like that once ($25 a week is a LOT, btw). I did it once though for a family of 2 and I regretted it.

Good luck!

Laurel
Reply
Blackcat31 01:15 PM 10-02-2013
Originally Posted by Razzledbrat:
I kinda feel guilty here but here goes!

I had an interview last Sunday, Sept 22. Mom said she'd let me know in a day or two. I didnt hear from her so I kept my ad running.

I finally hear from her yesterday via text. She basically said "we love you but we are still deciding and would let me know "yesterday". Ps. We are really on a budget and can only afford , blah blah. Can u work with us?

Uggg...Ive had this opening since july so....I thought about it and told her I would negotiate since she will be providing food etc (its a newborn) for many months however when the baby starting eating/drinking table food, I would have to ask for an increase in rates because I would be providing food. (I decreased my rates by $25/week)

Well....while waiting for her decision, I recd another response regarding my opening. It is also for a newborn. I set up the interview for tonight.

I JUST now recd a text from baby #1 saying they have decided to let me take care of their baby!

She was supposed to let me know last night so I went ahead and set up this interview with baby #2 since I didnt hear from her.

Now what?

Business is business but I feel if baby #2 works out then why would I take a decrease in pay for baby #1? But then I feel guilty. But then....baby #1 never called back. Im arguing with myself. lol How would u handle this? I have not responded to baby #1's text telling me theyve "picked me'.

I want to be honest with her and let her know since I didnt hear from her I set up another interview. And if baby #2 works out Im taking them because they arent asking for a decrease. Uggg But it sounds mean. or does it? lol Im also afraid to say anything before I interview #2 because #1 may get offended and not bring her baby to me and then my luck...baby #2 wouldnt work out. lol

Both babies are newborns. Both time schedules are almost identical. One boy, one girl.

WWYD?
Interview for the second child. The first family has already thrown out a red flag stating they can't afford you and want a discount before even beginning care.

If they need to cut back on something, it certainly shouldn't be daycare costs...maybe the family should look into other ways to cut expenses.

Second red flag for them is not responding in the time frame they said they would.

I'd send mom a quick e-mail letting her know that since she failed to respond by said date, you have set up another interview and will let her know which choice YOU are going to go with after the interview tonight.

YOU own/run this business so YOU get to decide who you will take and I'm sorry but if family #2 meets your requirements and is willing to pay your rate, then they are the obvious perfect-fit for your open space.
Reply
Sunshine75 01:19 PM 10-02-2013
Yep, I'd interview the second one and see what kind of vibe you get from them. The first family has really left you waiting and that would make me pause. Will they make you wait about other things like pay, letting you know baby won't be there certain days, etc. Also unless your rates are much higher than others I would not decrease. Families shop around but families you want are families who appreciate getting quality care and are willing to pay what's customary for it. I don't believe in negotiating for care of a child plus a lot of times families are really just wondering if they can get you to budge.
Reply
Razzledbrat 01:44 PM 10-02-2013
Thank youuuu all! You are all so right! and yesss $25 is alot of money for me too and my rates are pretty much on the low side ! I have been doing this for 8 years and have neverrr been asked to negotiate :/ That really threw me for a loop! Anddd right.....I didnt hear from her for over a week after she said...it would be a couple of days. I am also afraid if she's nervy enough to ask to negotiate, that there will alwayssss be favors asked for missed days, holidays etc. Sigh. Thanks again! Ill keep you posted! Ohhh...what do I tell the interview tonight? If I feel they are a good fit, Ill need to know asap so I know what to say to interview #1 ! lol
Reply
Blackcat31 01:51 PM 10-02-2013
Originally Posted by Razzledbrat:
Thank youuuu all! You are all so right! and yesss $25 is alot of money for me too and my rates are pretty much on the low side ! I have been doing this for 8 years and have neverrr been asked to negotiate :/ That really threw me for a loop! Anddd right.....I didnt hear from her for over a week after she said...it would be a couple of days. I am also afraid if she's nervy enough to ask to negotiate, that there will alwayssss be favors asked for missed days, holidays etc. Sigh. Thanks again! Ill keep you posted! Ohhh...what do I tell the interview tonight? If I feel they are a good fit, Ill need to know asap so I know what to say to interview #1 ! lol
"I have interviewed several families for this space so if you could let me know as soon as possible I would appreciate it."

OR

"I have interviewed other interested families and would like to make a final decision by tomorrow. Would you be able to let me know if you are interested in the space by then?"


Something like that....let them know you have other families waiting to hear back so set a deadline for when you need to know by.
Reply
Unregistered 01:51 PM 10-02-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Interview the second child and don't respond until after the interview.
Same as above and do what works for You! Oh and no discounts, there already "negotiating "
Reply
TwinKristi 02:55 PM 10-02-2013
Definitely see how the 2nd interview goes before deciding. I made the mistake of jumping into a FT baby and it was a HUGE mistake, 3 people called during that time and I turned them down and didn't even keep their info! Then she gave me 2wks notice after a month! Ugh! If she hesitated getting back to you, you have every right to keep interviewing and don't feel bad about it. If #2 works out better than go for it! Why cut your pay and increase your problems (knowing you already have had 2 red flags between the pay and the getting back to you) for a family that may be willing to pay what you charge and be a dream. You just don't know yet. Good luck with your 2nd interview today!
Reply
Laurel 04:01 PM 10-02-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
"I have interviewed several families for this space so if you could let me know as soon as possible I would appreciate it."

OR

"I have interviewed other interested families and would like to make a final decision by tomorrow. Would you be able to let me know if you are interested in the space by then?"


Something like that....let them know you have other families waiting to hear back so set a deadline for when you need to know by.


Laurel
Reply
Laurel 04:04 PM 10-02-2013
AND OP, if family #2 is not a good fit you can always change your mind about giving family #1 a discount. All you have to do is say "I have been thinking about the discount and decided it won't pay me to do it after all. Sorry."

Laurel
Reply
Tags:interview - multiple
Reply Up