Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Newly Divorced Parents - Separate Contracts?
DBug 11:11 AM 01-06-2010
So I've got a family that has just split up. Everything is amicable with joint custody, and both parents seem much happier now I don't anticipate problems, but I'd like to have a procedure in place, just in case.

The original contract just has the mom's signature on it, but the dad is the one who brings the payment each week. Should I redo it with separate contracts for each parent to sign? Or should I leave it as it is?
mac60 11:33 AM 01-06-2010
I would at least make sure that both have a copy and understand their obligations.
GretasLittleFriends 11:48 AM 01-06-2010
If at all possible I'd have a conference with both parents present. Have them each sign a separate contract with specific notation as to which parent will be responsible for how much of the daycare costs.
originalkat 01:45 PM 01-06-2010
I would either have him sign the original contract or make up a new one for him to sign.
Former Teacher 02:54 PM 01-06-2010
At my former center, the parent that was responsible for payment signed the payment form. The parent that had custody signed all the other papers.

What you could do is what Mac said. Just make sure they know each of their responsibilities.
Carole's Daycare 08:49 AM 01-13-2010
Originally Posted by GretasLittleFriends:
If at all possible I'd have a conference with both parents present. Have them each sign a separate contract with specific notation as to which parent will be responsible for how much of the daycare costs.
That's what I do. Its the same contract, but both sign and it is made clear both must adhere to the policies . I learned the hard way when I had one parent not paying their share, not picking up on time etc.
gbcc 09:26 AM 01-13-2010
I would make one parent responsible. If it is a shared cost that parent can be responsible for hounding the other parent for payment. If one parent doesn't pay you and you make them leave care you will run into the problem of possibly needing to take them both to court to recover your losses. I refuse to be the middle man. Only one is responsible and if they can't get the money from the other parent then it doesn't affect me. They have to take the other parent to court not me.
tymaboy 09:31 AM 01-13-2010
I have a family that separates then gets back together & separates again. They have been in care for less then a yr & they have done this 3 times already. When they separate the mother has custody so she is the one that becomes liable for anything daycare related. The father does pickup & if he is late I let her know & then she makes sure that he has the late fee in hand when he arrives the next day. This way it is much easier everyone involved.
Tags:contract, divorce, split up
Reply Up