Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sunscreen, Do You Provide?
mommiebookworm 01:48 PM 03-31-2015
Its that time of year again. Yay! We spend a lot of time outside. I usually provide the sunscreen, but am thinking of asking each family to donate a bottle. Do you think this would be tacky? What do you do?
Thriftylady 02:06 PM 03-31-2015
I don't think asking for donations is tacky. But I would let them know they were donations, not for their child. It would be a pain to have each child have their own bottle. I guess I would word it like this "I am asking each family to donate a bottle of sunscreen of at least XX SPF. I might also ask for spray on type, it is more expensive but easier. The SPF I don't know I have heard so many stories that over 15 isn't any more effective and then that over 30 isn't any more effective. Hard to know lol.
Second Home 02:12 PM 03-31-2015
I require parents to supply sunscreen for their own child .
Rockgirl 02:14 PM 03-31-2015
I ask parents to apply in the mornings, then they each have their own container labeled with their name for reapplying. Licensing allows us to apply it without a permission form if they have their own.
Silly Songs 02:16 PM 03-31-2015
The center where I am pro provides sun block , but some families want their child to use a different brand , so tin that case they provide it. I put sun block on 15 -19 children daily .
sharlan 02:18 PM 03-31-2015
I do both. I have each parent provide 2 bottles of a certain brand of sunscreen and then I provide the face sticks.
jenboo 02:49 PM 03-31-2015
I always provide it. I am picky about what type I use and I didn't want 6 different bottles to store/use.
Blackcat31 02:59 PM 03-31-2015
I do not provide sunscreen as parents choose multiple brands/types.

I DO require kids to arrive with the first application already applied as we usually head out within 2 hours of arrival.

I will reapply as necessary.
Thriftylady 03:13 PM 03-31-2015
This thread kind of cracks me up in one way. I mean I only remember my mom using it on me or making me use it when I was going to swim, and my sister who was 12 years older always used suntan oil. For shame lol. Funny how now we use sunscreen even in the winter. I mean I have always used it on my kids, we are fair skinned but my mother never even gave it a thought.
Gemma 03:15 PM 03-31-2015
Originally Posted by mommiebookworm:
Its that time of year again. Yay! We spend a lot of time outside. I usually provide the sunscreen, but am thinking of asking each family to donate a bottle. Do you think this would be tacky? What do you do?
I provide my own, but I don't think it's wrong to ask parents to donate!
... they could take turns in bringing you a bottle as you need it or you could write down different things you need (Sunscreen, wipes, diaper cream, etc,),time the number of families, put them in a box and then have parents draw at random.
Unregistered 03:41 PM 03-31-2015
If parents want me to apply sunscreen they must sign a permission form. They must bring their own sunscreen (non spray type only) labeled with their child's name. This limits the liability in case a child may be allergic to an ingredient in the sunscreen.
NorthernMNgal 03:45 PM 03-31-2015
I have every child bring their own. That way if a child needs a certain kind due to sensitive skin or a parent uses a certain "natural" kind I don't have to worry about accommodating their preferences.
Thriftylady 03:54 PM 03-31-2015
Originally Posted by NorthernMNgal:
I have every child bring their own. That way if a child needs a certain kind due to sensitive skin or a parent uses a certain "natural" kind I don't have to worry about accommodating their preferences.
But then if that is the case you wash your hands between each application?
ColorfulSunburst 04:30 PM 03-31-2015
My own daughter has very bad allergy for any sunscreen. So, it is one reason why I don't provide it for daycare kids. I use only sunscreens that are provided by parents. If a kid gets some allergy it will be not my fault.
Unregistered 04:56 PM 03-31-2015
I offer in my handbook but do not remind them to purchase or provide it myself. We can't use aresol here and it's considered a non prescription medicine so I have to log it every time with a signed permission slip. Regs allow us to use 1 for all children as long as it stays sanitary and the parents can take a look at it.
Unregistered 04:58 PM 03-31-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Or gloves. My skin is sensitive so I need gloves or certain brands. No-Ad is my fave and it smells fruity. Alba for my face. Both are cruelty free
Unregistered 05:34 PM 03-31-2015
Our center is required to change gloves between each child when applying sunscreen and each child is required to bring their own labeled bottle.
mommiebookworm 07:33 PM 03-31-2015
Thanks for the responses! I'm going to go ahead and ask each family to bring one. I haven't had any issues with allergies, so I think I'll ask for the same brand.
As kids, we never wore sunscreen! And I can remember a horrible sunburn when I was 6 or 7.
nothingwithoutjoy 08:41 AM 04-01-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I do not provide sunscreen as parents choose multiple brands/types.

I DO require kids to arrive with the first application already applied as we usually head out within 2 hours of arrival.

I will reapply as necessary.
Ditto this.
lovemykidstoo 09:24 AM 04-01-2015
I have never asked a parent to apply before bringing them but boy I sure want to start that this year. It takes so long to get sometimes 6 kids sunscreened up in the morning. Of course I have some that barely can feed them in the morning, can't imagine them applying sunscreen.
Blackcat31 11:06 AM 04-01-2015
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
I have never asked a parent to apply before bringing them but boy I sure want to start that this year. It takes so long to get sometimes 6 kids sunscreened up in the morning. Of course I have some that barely can feed them in the morning, can't imagine them applying sunscreen.
That is exactly why I ask them to do the first application.

It helps our morning go smoothly.

I reapply when necessary so the kids get more the longer or more often we go out but just having the parents apply the first time saves me so much time!

I can smell whether or not the parent complied too.
Unregistered 11:10 AM 04-01-2015
This thread kind of cracks me up in one way. I mean I only remember my mom using it on me or making me use it when I was going to swim, and my sister who was 12 years older always used suntan oil. For shame lol. Funny how now we use sunscreen even in the winter. I mean I have always used it on my kids, we are fair skinned but my mother never even gave it a thought.
I was thinking the same thing! Unless we go to the pool or know we will be out for long periods in direct sunlight, we never use sunscreen.
lovemykidstoo 11:16 AM 04-01-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I was thinking the same thing! Unless we go to the pool or know we will be out for long periods in direct sunlight, we never use sunscreen.
We never did as kids either, but it was not widely known or used at that time either. I'm 50 and oh yea used baby oil to tan! ahhhh!! I do wonder now though what the stats will be in the upcoming years on skin cancer. I think it's great that my own kids look for the unscreen without me even suggesting it. They're 14 and 17.
Unregistered 11:38 AM 04-01-2015
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
We never did as kids either, but it was not widely known or used at that time either. I'm 50 and oh yea used baby oil to tan! ahhhh!! I do wonder now though what the stats will be in the upcoming years on skin cancer. I think it's great that my own kids look for the unscreen without me even suggesting it. They're 14 and 17.
I will still use it if we will be outside long periods to prevent burns, but we go out for an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon, so it is not necessary on most days. Gotta get that vitamin D!
lovemykidstoo 11:51 AM 04-01-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I will still use it if we will be outside long periods to prevent burns, but we go out for an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon, so it is not necessary on most days. Gotta get that vitamin D!
Same here. If we're just out for a short time, I don't put it on either.
momofboys 06:52 PM 04-02-2015
And our parents never giving it a thought is likely why I had many burns as a child & had skin cancer on my face 1.5 years ago. . . i had to have surgery to remove it & have reconstructive surgery too (involving many stitches internal & external on my face although you'd barely know, the dr did a great job!). Not fun, I am happy to use it on myself & my kids! . . regarding those skin cancer stats I don't know but I was 40 when I was diagnosed
Unregistered 08:27 PM 04-02-2015
I just charge each family an extra $1.00 and buy one spray bottle. I used to have each family bring their own. It's so much easier with only one container to worry about. They sign a release that xxx brand is okay for their child. Release is required either way.

I'm super careful about having the kids cover their face when I spray and do it outside. I know there's debate about the spray. But it's so much easier.
DaveA 03:49 AM 04-03-2015
I provide sunscreen and bug spray but parents can bring in specific brands if they want.

I really only use it when I know we're going to be out for a while. Walks and quick trips I usually don't bother except for bug spray on one kid. Poor guy is a magnet for bug bites.
kitykids3 10:46 AM 04-03-2015
I only use sunscreen on the kids for about 2 months of the year because my backyard where we play has mostly shade for the rest of the year and of course being in WI we're in long sleeves about 8 months of the year. lol. Anyways, I provide it, usually Water Babies SPF 50 so that I know it is a fresh stash every year (i've heard it's not as effective after a year), plus then I only have one bottle to store here and one face stick. I don't have room to keep 7 different bottles of sunscreen locked up. If a parent is particular on a certain type (doesn't want to use mine, like if they want an all natural type or something) then they may bring their own to leave here for the summer, but not to bring and take home everyday. I can usually get through the whole season with just one bottle for all the kiddos.
Josiegirl 03:05 PM 04-03-2015
I have the parents supply their own plus bug spray. I'll have to start the rule of applying at home before coming here, I think that's a great idea!!

How old do you think a child should be before they're allowed to apply their own? Just curious.
Gemma 03:58 PM 04-03-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
How old do you think a child should be before they're allowed to apply their own? Just curious.
hummm...18?

I don't know, I sure wouldn't trust any of mine, I wouldn't know how good of a job they did.
jenboo 04:50 PM 04-03-2015
I have the parents supply their own plus bug spray. I'll have to start the rule of applying at home before coming here, I think that's a great idea!!

I start around 18 months. They love it!! I put dabs on their arms and face. They look in the mirrors and rub it in. I then help them finish because they usually don't get it all.
Josiegirl 04:08 AM 04-04-2015
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I start around 18 months. They love it!! I put dabs on their arms and face. They look in the mirrors and rub it in. I then help them finish because they usually don't get it all.
My dcks would lick it off their fingers! Just like Gemma, I'm wondering...that's why I asked, because 2 summers ago, when dcg was 6 yo(I thought she could be trusted!!) she applied the stick sunscreen to her face and her sister told me she'd eaten it. I called the poison center all in a panic. It was all okay but felt stupid for having to tell dcm and scared for what could have been. Plus the sister who told, is famous for slathering on half a bottle for an hours worth of outdoor time.
So obviously there are some who cannot be trusted to do it themselves but then they're whining/crying cause they can't but others can.
Oh the joys lol
Ah well, still beats snowsuits, boots, mittens, hats and coats.
jenboo 09:25 AM 04-04-2015
My dcks would lick it off their fingers! Just like Gemma, I'm wondering...that's why I asked, because 2 summers ago, when dcg was 6 yo(I thought she could be trusted!!) she applied the stick sunscreen to her face and her sister told me she'd eaten it. I called the poison center all in a panic. It was all okay but felt stupid for having to tell dcm and scared for what could have been. Plus the sister who told, is famous for slathering on half a bottle for an hours worth of outdoor time.
So obviously there are some who cannot be trusted to do it themselves but then they're whining/crying cause they can't but others can.
Oh the joys lol
Ah well, still beats snowsuits, boots, mittens, hats and coats.
None of my kids ever tried to eat it haha. Even my little guy who would try to eat everything!
I put the dabs of sunscreen on them myself (don't trust then to do that) then watch closely as they rub it in. It makes things so much faster!
Reply Up