Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Should I Expect from Nap Time for 18m Old?
Crazy8 10:17 AM 10-12-2016
Little one is still having a horrible time adjusting but we are down to "only" 1.5 hrs of crying upon arrival (believe me, this is an improvement).

My biggest issue now is nap time. My dc kids generally nap 2-2.5 hours. This one naps 20-30 minutes.

She cries about 5 min. before going to sleep, then sleeps 20-30 minutes and then wakes up screaming. I don't know what to do with her when the rest of my house is still sleeping for another hour or more. Normally when I have one who wakes up earlier they at least just babble a little or they soon learn to just lay quietly until I get them up. She just screams and screams and ends up waking everyone up.

I don't expect to get her to learn to sleep longer, I think that ship has sailed - but how can I get her to remain quiet until nap time is over?? In 15 years I have actually never had this problem. I have done a little CIO over the years, I am not opposed to it, but this one just does not stop.
Play Care 10:55 AM 10-12-2016
When I have one wake too early at that age I've separated them, and kept the door to the room open by the smallest margin to stay within licensing
Then I'd go firmly with a "shh! Friends are sleeping! Night night!" Obviously they may not go back to sleep, but they needed to get the message screaming would be met with firmly.
If they still did that and just didn't need sleep I would have no choice but to send them on. I simply do not have the space for non-nappers, especially ones so young.
daycarediva 11:29 AM 10-12-2016
Originally Posted by Play Care:
When I have one wake too early at that age I've separated them, and kept the door to the room open by the smallest margin to stay within licensing
Then I'd go firmly with a "shh! Friends are sleeping! Night night!" Obviously they may not go back to sleep, but they needed to get the message screaming would be met with firmly.
If they still did that and just didn't need sleep I would have no choice but to send them on. I simply do not have the space for non-nappers, especially ones so young.
this. I would make a 2 week attempt but no more and there would need to be DRASTIC improvement.
rosieteddy 11:42 AM 10-12-2016
When I started using music to drown out other noises it helped.I would move her and put music on in both areas .Then if she starts screaming Lay her down .I have sat next to a crib and read or crochet .Everytime they started to get up shhhhh friends are sleeping.They got up when music shuts off.It sometimes took 2 weeks but all got it.
Crazy8 10:39 AM 10-13-2016
this has been going on for a month with only a tiny bit of improvement. I am trying really hard not to term over this but I may have to.

she is in a pack n play in a bedroom with door closed (allowed here), there are other babies in the other bedrooms and older kids are on cots in the playroom and she still manages to wake up the entire house.

I just don't understand a child so young only needing a 30 min. nap the entire day (she sleeps about 11 hrs at night no problem).
Play Care 11:31 AM 10-13-2016
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
this has been going on for a month with only a tiny bit of improvement. I am trying really hard not to term over this but I may have to.

she is in a pack n play in a bedroom with door closed (allowed here), there are other babies in the other bedrooms and older kids are on cots in the playroom and she still manages to wake up the entire house.

I just don't understand a child so young only needing a 30 min. nap the entire day (she sleeps about 11 hrs at night no problem).
She may just be one of those kids who needs less sleep.
I hear they are out there
Crazy8 11:40 AM 10-13-2016
Originally Posted by Play Care:
She may just be one of those kids who needs less sleep.
I hear they are out there
LOL, yes somehow I've managed to go a few years without getting one and usually they are older and can follow instruction better to just stay quiet.

Today is actually better so I'm hoping there is light at the end of this tunnel!
mommyneedsadayoff 12:17 PM 10-13-2016
Originally Posted by Crazy8:

How do you know this? I am sure there are kids out there, but ime, kids who have sleep issues during the day, tend to have them at night as well. I wouldn't take a parents word for it, I guess

As for the kid, I would work on it for two weeks. Lay down, close door, let em cry till nap is over. Same thing everyday. If nothing changes after complete consistency for that time period, they would have to find other care.

Just to add, does the kid cosleep at home? I had one girl who the parents said sleep through the night, but what they meant was she slept with then in their bed and when she woke, she comfort nursed (half asleep), so didn't really wake up. Parents called it sleeping through the night, but if she woke and couldn't pop the boob in her mouth, she woke up fully, which is what hapened at daycare. She would cry, fall asleep, wake 20-30 minutes into nap, cry, and cry, and cry. ANyway, just a thought on what may be an issue.
Ariana 10:45 PM 10-13-2016
Seperate area or room and loud white noise machine if you can.

In my old house I couldn't seperate non nappers so I usually had to term relatively quickly . These kids require sleep training which involves lots of crying it out and unfortunately that is very disruptive and should be done by the parents at home. Luckily at the new house I can seperate them for sleep training easily.
Crazy8 07:44 PM 10-16-2016
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
How do you know this? I am sure there are kids out there, but ime, kids who have sleep issues during the day, tend to have them at night as well. I wouldn't take a parents word for it, I guess

As for the kid, I would work on it for two weeks. Lay down, close door, let em cry till nap is over. Same thing everyday. If nothing changes after complete consistency for that time period, they would have to find other care.

Just to add, does the kid cosleep at home? I had one girl who the parents said sleep through the night, but what they meant was she slept with then in their bed and when she woke, she comfort nursed (half asleep), so didn't really wake up. Parents called it sleeping through the night, but if she woke and couldn't pop the boob in her mouth, she woke up fully, which is what hapened at daycare. She would cry, fall asleep, wake 20-30 minutes into nap, cry, and cry, and cry. ANyway, just a thought on what may be an issue.
I kind of believe the parents that she sleeps all night because they say that is their only sanity saver in the fact that she doesn't nap during the day. I do not know if they cosleep though - that is something I will need to ask this week!!! Very good point!
Lovisa 06:32 AM 10-17-2016
I SWEAR by loud box fans in every room that kiddos nap. They are less than 20 bucks and give the best white noise. I have 4 dck's mostly in separate rooms for napping, and they never get woken up by noise in the house.
daycare 07:09 AM 10-17-2016
How many naps is she taking? At 18 months many kids are still taking two naps. They say lack of sleep begets sleep.

Maybe she is over tired ??

Could you lay her down for two naps ?
Reply Up