Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>"I'm Bored"
sahm2three 09:07 AM 09-20-2012
I have a newly turned 5 year old, who is the oldest regular in daycare. The next oldest is 3. He constantly asks to play the Wii, which I only allow on very rare occasions. We have plenty to do, but he complains all the time. We have legos, puzzles, action figures, painting, coloring, I Spy books, all kinds of things. But he just complains all day long. I think I am going to set up a meeting with mom. He has kids to play with when the older kids get home from school, and is in preschool three mornings a week, but it is days like today when he is here all day that I just am not sure what else to do with him. I have tried to have him assist me in teaching the younger kids our lesson for the day, but he says its lame. *rolleyes* I do feel bad for him that he is the only kiddo his age here, but what else can I do? I have some regularish drop ins that come that are his age, but it's not every week.
rhymia1 09:28 AM 09-20-2012
If I know that I do have enough for the child to do, then I do NOT entertain the "I'm Boreds," in fact, I treat it for the rude behavior that it is. I have found that "I'm bored" from older kids typically is code for watching tv/playing electronics, etc. The child has learned that if he expresses boredom then the parent/caregiver will rush in to save the child from the awfulness of boredom. Ms. Rhymia doesn't play those games
A child who announces his boredom (when it's clear he's after something he can't have) would be greeted with a "oh, really? thanks for sharing" in a matter of fact tone. If the child repeats the I'm boreds I will start assigning tasks to the child. Separting toys in the toys bin, cleaning up, setting the table, etc. Kids quickly learn that the "I'm boreds" get them work detail. And finally, if the child is really obnoxious about it, then I would put them in time out. I know, GASP! A time out? Yes. Because at the heart of the "I'm boreds" is usually rudeness. It'a negative attention seeking. So I remove the attention.

All that said, I go back to my orginal point. You need to make sure that you do have enough for him to do, and that your schedule has activites geared towards his age group. I find 5's to be a tough age, they are feeling too BIG for day care, but not quite ready for school. But I do think we need to prepare them for school. Can you imagine a 5 yo telling his K teacher he's bored when he's expected to do some quiet work?
sharlan 09:29 AM 09-20-2012
My response - GO PLAY TOYS.
rhymia1 09:31 AM 09-20-2012
And honestly, I've had years where I've had a 5 yo and a 3 yo and they played together during the day just fine. The 3 yo hero worshipped the 5 yo, which helps Of course as soon as the older kids got home, the 5 yo played with them.
It's fine he doesn't want to be a helper, not every kid does. But I would not allow him to be rude.
Heidi 09:35 AM 09-20-2012
I agree with Ryhmia....you're bored...your problem. I might say something like "It is not my job to entertain you. God gave you a brain, kiddo" (in a kind tone), or "if you can't find something to do, I am sure I can find a job for you to do".
lovemykidstoo 10:04 AM 09-20-2012
My summers are like that because I have the sublings that are normally in school. I usually cannot wait until school starts to have them go back to school.
My3cents 10:53 AM 09-20-2012
Originally Posted by rhymia1:
If I know that I do have enough for the child to do, then I do NOT entertain the "I'm Boreds," in fact, I treat it for the rude behavior that it is. I have found that "I'm bored" from older kids typically is code for watching tv/playing electronics, etc. The child has learned that if he expresses boredom then the parent/caregiver will rush in to save the child from the awfulness of boredom. Ms. Rhymia doesn't play those games
A child who announces his boredom (when it's clear he's after something he can't have) would be greeted with a "oh, really? thanks for sharing" in a matter of fact tone. If the child repeats the I'm boreds I will start assigning tasks to the child. Separting toys in the toys bin, cleaning up, setting the table, etc. Kids quickly learn that the "I'm boreds" get them work detail. And finally, if the child is really obnoxious about it, then I would put them in time out. I know, GASP! A time out? Yes. Because at the heart of the "I'm boreds" is usually rudeness. It'a negative attention seeking. So I remove the attention.

All that said, I go back to my orginal point. You need to make sure that you do have enough for him to do, and that your schedule has activites geared towards his age group. I find 5's to be a tough age, they are feeling too BIG for day care, but not quite ready for school. But I do think we need to prepare them for school. Can you imagine a 5 yo telling his K teacher he's bored when he's expected to do some quiet work?
This is the way that I feel too. I also use go play toys. I bet K teachers get this a lot. Kids really struggle when they don't have the electronics they are used to playing with.

I know a kid that feels unsafe if she does not have her cell phone- older child but never the less. I really feel kids have a hard time to manage with out these things that they are used to having. They just don't know how and have not been taught to entertain themselves or use imagination, other then blowing something up. Yikes-
Reply Up