Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>OT- Can anything help for a bad cough,? My DS can't stop :(
LaLa1923 07:24 PM 12-03-2012
My DS is 5, but big for her age, she has a terrible cold in conjunction with an equally bad cough. I took her to the Doc and she said it's just a could, so there's nothing we can do. She isn't sleeping, and she's miserable! I swear she's going to cough her lungs up!!

Is there anything over the counter or somethin I could make? I've tried OTC cold meds and it also didn't help. Was thinking OTC honey cough for kids? ( supposed to be all natural?)

Please help!!
kitykids3 07:33 PM 12-03-2012
I've had a bad cough since last week. Tried some Delsym on Saturday and it's been much better since. I was even able to sleep laying down last night. I had been sleeping propped sitting up on the couch because of the cough. My doc recommended it today too for me and told me it is good, but it can dehydrate a little. I don't know if they make it for kids.
e.j. 08:37 PM 12-03-2012
This is going to sound odd but you might want to try rubbing Vick's VapoRub on the soles of her feet. I had heard about this and once and thought it was nuts but was desperate enough to try it once when I had a cough that wouldn't quit. Maybe it was just a coincidence, but it actually worked really well. My sister also tried it and found that it seemed to work for her, too. Can't hurt to try, right?

http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2012/...-calmed-cough/
http://www.snopes.com/medical/homecure/vaporub.asp
laundrymom 03:54 AM 12-04-2012
Hershey kisses & honey. Alternate. I promise it works. I use limited medications and chocolate, honey & jolly ranchers are my go to items.
Scout 04:28 AM 12-04-2012
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Hershey kisses & honey. Alternate. I promise it works. I use limited medications and chocolate, honey & jolly ranchers are my go to items.
Really? How does the chocolate work? I love it!
Scout 04:32 AM 12-04-2012
I have a 3 yo here that mom gave Delsym to last night & she said he was much better than without. He actually went to the ER yesterday the cough was so bad. I have only heard him cough one time since he got here at 7. I use tea with honey for mine. I also plug in those lights you can buy at Walmart that you melt wax in. If you use scents like peppermint, spearmint, or Under the mistletoe(using right now) it puts a vapor smell in the air. I also do the Vicks on the feet & chest. Hope she feels better quickly!
kitykids3 07:09 AM 12-04-2012
I also do the Vicks on the feet also. Has worked in years past and helped this time too (a little before the delsym).
Mommy2One 07:44 AM 12-04-2012
After reading warnings in several parenting magazines, I avoid OTC medicine for my 3.5yo daughter. When she has a cold I do the following:

- Run a vaporizer in her room. The moisture breaks up mucus to help clear nasal passages and keeps the throat moist to prevent coughing. I also bought a bit of Vick's liquid that you pour into a built-in cup and it makes Vick's vapors spread through the room.

- Rub Baby Vicks on her chest. It's less strong than the regular kind, which you're not supposed to use on littles (regular might be fine for a 5yo though)

- Give her a spoonful of honey right before bed. It works by coating the throat so no water afterwards. My daughter likes the taste so she usually has a case of the "fake coughs" after she starts feeling better.
Provider_Manda 07:47 AM 12-04-2012
Originally Posted by e.j.:
This is going to sound odd but you might want to try rubbing Vick's VapoRub on the soles of her feet. I had heard about this and once and thought it was nuts but was desperate enough to try it once when I had a cough that wouldn't quit. Maybe it was just a coincidence, but it actually worked really well. My sister also tried it and found that it seemed to work for her, too. Can't hurt to try, right?

http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2012/...-calmed-cough/
http://www.snopes.com/medical/homecure/vaporub.asp
I was going to recommend this!! Put it on her feet and then put socks on her. I do it with my son all the time, and helps him better then cough syrup.
Mom&Provider 07:50 AM 12-04-2012
We also do Vicks on the bottom of the feet too as others have said. I know alot of people who say it's an *old wives tale*, but it seems to work pretty well for us!

Hope she is feeling better soon...
sahm2three 09:23 AM 12-04-2012
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:
My DS is 5, but big for her age, she has a terrible cold in conjunction with an equally bad cough. I took her to the Doc and she said it's just a could, so there's nothing we can do. She isn't sleeping, and she's miserable! I swear she's going to cough her lungs up!!

Is there anything over the counter or somethin I could make? I've tried OTC cold meds and it also didn't help. Was thinking OTC honey cough for kids? ( supposed to be all natural?)

Please help!!
Here is a recipe I use and it not only helps the symptoms but it helps cure the cold too.

¼ teaspoon Cayenne
¼ teaspoon Ginger
1 Tablespoon Cider Vinegar (an organic one, like Bragg’s, is preferred.)
2 Tablespoon Water
1 Tablespoon Honey (use a locally produced raw honey, if possible.)
Scout 10:45 AM 12-04-2012
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
Here is a recipe I use and it not only helps the symptoms but it helps cure the cold too.

¼ teaspoon Cayenne
¼ teaspoon Ginger
1 Tablespoon Cider Vinegar (an organic one, like Bragg’s, is preferred.)
2 Tablespoon Water
1 Tablespoon Honey (use a locally produced raw honey, if possible.)
But, can you get a child to drink this?
Sunshine74 10:00 PM 12-04-2012
Vicks on her feet and chest, and a spoonful of lemon and honey before bed.
SilverSabre25 04:44 AM 12-05-2012
Flax jelly!

http://joybilee-farm.blogspot.com/20...lax-jelly.html

I encourage drinking via whatever method works best... but am usually happy to get at least half a cup of it in my 5 yo. I put in more honey than that recipe says. Apple cider works for flavor, too, instead of lemon.

Also, mega doses of Vit C and Vit D and Vit B to help the body fight the bug.
LaLa1923 11:04 AM 12-05-2012
thanks everyone!!
Hazel 12:08 PM 12-05-2012
Delsym (sp) works wonders! But I am an aspiring herbalist and recently started using 2 tbs apple cider vinegar and 2 tbs honey in a glass of warm water. A 5yo may not take it but it works great for coughs AND early signs of a UTI!
sahm2three 07:05 AM 12-07-2012
Originally Posted by aprilsfool77:
But, can you get a child to drink this?
My kids MUCH prefer this over any other OTC med!
MarinaVanessa 08:24 AM 12-07-2012
What works for me and family when there's congestion which causes coughing is a nice long steam shower followed by a night with a humidifier. My kids are so used to it and it works so well for them that at the first sign of a cough my 8yo is digging through the closet for the humidifier.
Cat Herder 11:47 AM 12-07-2012
Humidity to loosen and remove the phlegm (by coughing) is the most effective way, IMHO. (I do add Kaz to my room humidifier for added effect)

Steam from shower, room humidifier and drinking plenty of clear fluids works every time.
Reply Up