Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Being asked for references?
AuntTami 10:39 AM 06-03-2015
Does anyone else get asked for references from prospective clients?

I don't mind giving them, but I think it's weird, both for me and for my current families who are providing the references. I've established myself in the area as a reputable daycare and am well known in my area.

Is this normal for parents to ask me for a list of references or is it just my area?
childcaremom 10:51 AM 06-03-2015
Originally Posted by AuntTami:
Does anyone else get asked for references from prospective clients?

I don't mind giving them, but I think it's weird, both for me and for my current families who are providing the references. I've established myself in the area as a reputable daycare and am well known in my area.

Is this normal for parents to ask me for a list of references or is it just my area?
I get asked for references. Not all the time but I do.

I sort of expect that people will want to talk with other families that have used me. Especially if they don't know me.

I think it's weird when someone asks for them and then doesn't call them. I get that alot, actually.
DaveA 10:51 AM 06-03-2015
I have a couple of current and former DCPs who will give references but honestly I can't remember ever being asked for them.
AuntTami 11:00 AM 06-03-2015
I've noticed that they don't contact my references often either. What's the point in asking then? Just to make sure I can make up a name and number?

I direct everyone to my Facebook page and I've had a few people give reviews and I'm still being asked for references. I don't get it lol
daycarediva 11:18 AM 06-03-2015
I no longer give out references. I refer them to my daycare facebook page for reviews and my state website (list of violations in the last 2 years/0). I hated asking clients if they wouldn't mind me giving their numbers out for a reference...and the people who asked either called them ALL and asked lots of questions or they didn't call them at all.
spinnymarie 11:25 AM 06-03-2015
We are in a small city, but work on a teacher's schedule so generally get calls via word of mouth -
I've actually found it to be a red flag of sorts when the parents ask for references. They have, thus far, ended up being VERY untrusting people.
So now I say I'll get back to them and actually decide if I want them as clients before giving out the reference #s.
cheerfuldom 01:46 PM 06-03-2015
I dont think it is weird to ask for references. If you dont want to give numbers out, ask current or past clients to write a letter of reference and have copies of the letters available (basically reviews). Some people will still want to talk to others over the phone though and for that, I always offered a few past (but still recent) client numbers after making sure those clients were okay with it.
mommiebookworm 01:58 PM 06-03-2015
I have never been asked to give references. However, I was one of those parents who would ask a DC provider for references. ..I know, I know. I was annoying! My husband actually said that to me the other day, how much I probably annoyed the heck out of our DC provider!
momofboys 02:13 PM 06-03-2015
I give out references but I am considering not doing it any longer. Hardly anyone calls them except last summer someone I was considering called them all & spoke at LENGTH with each person (& I never accepted that person!!!). Then as a result the next time I had someone call my references (many months later) the person told me no one called them back so I had to switch out my references. I don't blame them for being annoyed as the caller last summer was a first-time parent. But I wouldn't want to be on the phone for 15-20 min either I also wish my references would have had the heart to say they didn't want to be a reference anymore. I sort of found out in a roundabout way from a new client that no one had returned her calls. It is sort of silly as who would give out people's names who would speak badly about you?
e.j. 02:20 PM 06-03-2015
I usually get new clients through word of mouth so most parents don't ask me for references, although some still do. They tend to be first time parents who are trying to do everything just right and have read books or articles that say they should get references so they ask for them. When parents get my name off the EEC list of providers, though, I have to say it seems odd to me when they don't ask for references.
KiddieCahoots 02:33 PM 06-03-2015
I've experienced the whole enchilada! Lol!
I've had clients that looked at references from my portfolio album I get out during interviews and be all set with that.
I've had other clients ask for references and never check up.
Then there are some clients who looked at the portfolio, and still asked for more references to call.
As annoying as it is to check with your references first, before giving their phone number, either way I expect it. This is a job after all, it comes with the territory.
AuntTami 02:40 PM 06-03-2015
Originally Posted by momofboys:
I give out references but I am considering not doing it any longer. Hardly anyone calls them except last summer someone I was considering called them all & spoke at LENGTH with each person (& I never accepted that person!!!). Then as a result the next time I had someone call my references (many months later) the person told me no one called them back so I had to switch out my references. I don't blame them for being annoyed as the caller last summer was a first-time parent. But I wouldn't want to be on the phone for 15-20 min either I also wish my references would have had the heart to say they didn't want to be a reference anymore. I sort of found out in a roundabout way from a new client that no one had returned her calls. It is sort of silly as who would give out people's names who would speak badly about you?
I guess this was my whole thought. Why would I give a reference that would say bad things about me? Wouldn't it make sense that any numbers I give out would be of happy clients? So, what are they gaining by calling my references? I guess that's why I see it as weird.... It's not like my current families are unhappy or they wouldn't be my current families, so what's the purpose?
Baby Beluga 03:03 PM 06-03-2015
I have never been asked for a reference. But...here is what I do:

I have a binder that has my training certificates as well as letters of recommendation from co-workers, old directors and past clients. I leave that out at interviews and allow parents to view it if they wish. I would say maybe 50% read through it. The other 50% don't even glance at it. I would not be comfortable giving out the info (even with permission) of current or past clients, so I thought the letters of recommendation were a happy medium.
Crazy8 05:04 PM 06-03-2015
I think its pretty normal to ask for them, I usually provide them with my interview packets before people even ask. I am sure any list you find about "what to ask at an interview" will include asking for references so that's probably where most parents get it from.
AuntTami 05:30 PM 06-03-2015
Lol. I guess this one just caught me off guard as she asked for references before she even scheduled an interview. I gave her 3 of my parents that don't mind, but it just made me go "hmm"?? But maybe that's a good thing for me, maybe she really wants her child enrolled here? Lol
hope 05:57 PM 06-03-2015
Have any of you ever been used as a reference for someone? It can be so time consuming, invasive and annoying. And pp is right, no one will give out contact for someone who would speak unfavorably of them. And I don't understand why someone would take the word of one stranger (the reference) over another stranger (the provider).
If asked I do provide but I try to rotate. I then beg forgiveness for giving that contact info out.
Reply Up