Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When Do Expect Infants To Entertain Themselves For A Few Minutes And For How Long?
Indoorvoice 11:15 AM 08-10-2015
Both of my daughters preferred to play by themselves at a very young age and didn't want me up in their faces, so I'm struggling with settling on what I should be expecting from my 5mo daycare infant who seems to need me at all times. I do a lot of floor play whenever he is awake, but he doesn't seem to enjoy it at all, even if I sit near him and interact. Normally I put him on the floor with a fresh diaper and a full belly and let him fuss a bit at playing until he starts getting out of control them I give him attention for a bit and lay him back down. The problem is that he is normally awake while everyone else is sleeping and his fussing gets out of control quickly. It's so bad that we are in a separate room from the sleepers and he still wakes them up. He doesn't want me to hold him either, just wants to fuss. What do you do with your infants during this time? What am I not doing, that I should be?
Heidi 11:26 AM 08-10-2015
Honestly?

I'd nudge him into a 2 nap schedule; a short one (45 minute) in the morning, and a long one with the other kiddos in the afternoon. For the most part, I've been able to get them there as young as 4 months. Usually 9 am for that 45-60 minutes, then 12:00/12:15 for up to 3 hours.

Other than that, it's his choice how he chooses to spend "play time".
AuntTami 11:52 AM 08-10-2015
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Honestly?

I'd nudge him into a 2 nap schedule; a short one (45 minute) in the morning, and a long one with the other kiddos in the afternoon. For the most part, I've been able to get them there as young as 4 months. Usually 9 am for that 45-60 minutes, then 12:00/12:15 for up to 3 hours.

Other than that, it's his choice how he chooses to spend "play time".
This is the schedule my 7 month old is on. He comes at 9:45 and naps from 8:30-9:15 ish and has a 6oz bottle before he gets here. He eats his lunch at the table with us at 11:30, and then naps at the same time as the bigger kids.

He completely entertains himself with the help of the older kids. Lol. He doesn't want anything to do with me.
Reply Up