Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>So, Can We Talk About Baby Bottles?
youretooloud 07:31 AM 06-08-2011
I hate some of the different newer bottles on the market today.

Particularly the Dr Brown bottles.

I don't understand the Dr Browns Bottles. I think parents buy them because they are the "popular" ones to buy. A few years ago, it was the Avent bottles that were popular.

But, in my own opinion after many kids, that none of the babies relax and eat peacefully from the Dr Brown bottles, or the Avent. It's not a comfortable bottle to use, they don't fall alseep, and everyone ends up frustrated. The baby is fed, but not relaxed. A baby bottle should be calming, not anxiety provoking.

The say the dr browns bottles help with reflux and gas. But, these kids still have reflux and gas. So, I don't see any improvement with those.

I have two infants that are starting in a few months (different months) and both parents are using the Dr Browns bottles. I'm dying to say "NOOOOO... PLEASE!". I would never say anything, but I want to. LOL

Also.. I miss the good old fashion flat top Playtex bottle. Those were awesome.
nannyde 07:41 AM 06-08-2011
Old School playtex are my faves. http://cgi.ebay.com/4-Vintage-Playte...item1c1c51fb0d

I have a collection of the CLEAR (no color at all on the whole bottle except the brown nipple) ones from the eighties. Oh yeah.... they were really hot with the rich families. They didn't like any kind of design ... just plain.

I have never used a Dr Brown so I can't speak to them. I've had a ton of Avent babies. I had three babies on breast milk with the same Advent bottle. Boy was that a pain to keep track of.

I don't want them to fall asleep while they are eating so that doesn't bother me. I want them to be fully awake during the whole feeding.
Sunshine44 07:41 AM 06-08-2011
I'm particular about bottles also. I used playtex drop ins with my kids. I have parents that use playtex ventair, advent...all sorts of things. I prefer the ones I used haha, but I am sure they prefer the ones they use...? Same with sippy cups. I'm particular about them. Cannot stand playtex, always leaked. Parents always bring playtex or the really crappy ones. I buy take n toss, cheap and though they leak when tipped, the kids learn not to tip them! It also helps littles learn to drink from a cup. My daughter only uses take n toss or the Learning 1st brand that does not have any extra pieces to it. Just wash the lid and the cup!
youretooloud 07:46 AM 06-08-2011
Ohmygosh, those Ventair bottles were awful! That's another "what's the point" kind of bottle.
wdmmom 07:58 AM 06-08-2011
The Playtex drop-ins are by far the best. They worked best for my own kids...especially when I was both bottle and bf.

I've used the Dr. Brown's for 1 dck and I told the parents they are a nightmare! Cleaning them is tricky too. Way too many pieces for a BOTTLE!

It's gotten to the point I ask at an interview what kind of bottle they are using or intend to use because if it's the Dr. Brown's, I won't do it. Give me a good old fashion baby bottle or a Playtex!
sharlan 07:53 AM 06-08-2011
I've always prefered the old fashioned Playtex. Back in the olden days, they used to have a metal spreader that you put the baggie on, then pushed the bottle down on top of it. Such a pain.

The Advents are ok.

I've always talked my parents into using either one.

As for sippy cups, I always used the Playtex. Now I prefer the Learning Curve with the one piece top.
SandeeAR 08:02 AM 06-08-2011
I for one LOVE Dr. Browns. I had a baby,#1, on the Avent. He was BAD gassy. Baby #2 comes in, using Dr. Browns, no gas. Recommended #1 Mom try them, he stopped being so gassy and was much happier. Baby #3 came in on Dr. Browns, no gas.

Monday, got a temp baby, just this week, 7 weeks old. Came in on the Advent, burped a lot, but very gassy, slept very little. She is friends with baby #2 (who is now on a sippy). I recommended she get her old Dr. Browns and try them. Mom sent Dr Browns the next day. Still burped, but NO gas! She slept several naps yesterday. Used it again today, and still no gas.

Yep, I highly recommend Dr Browns.
dEHmom 08:14 AM 06-08-2011
i'm the playtex drop in fan myself.

i can't stand all other bottles if you cannot squeeze out air. i also find the nipples on most other bottles even the slow flows are too fast and baby is gulping too much air,

all those gas, ear ache, and reflux bottles cause parents to get more lazy with feedings, and they assume the bottles will do everything for them.

what's wrong with feeding and burping 1 or 2 times through feeding and then again at the end?
safechner 08:18 AM 06-08-2011
Well, I never bought Dr. Brown bottles for my kids. They don't have gas or reflux. I was on breastfeeding both of my daughters and I bought Avent bottles for my husband to feed the girls. The reason is that I bought Avent bottles as same as breast nipples. Both of my daughters were not accept to drink cheap playtex or gerber bottles. I don't have any problems with it. They also used to drink Avent sippy cup and it works very well.
Maddy'sMommy 08:24 AM 06-08-2011
My daughter uses plastic bottles from walmart. (parent's choice). Cheap and easy. lol. She's never had any reflux or gas issues, so I've been able to stick with them from the beginning when I was pumping breast milk exclusively.
cheerfuldom 09:00 AM 06-08-2011
Dr Browns were a pain but only because I used to wash bottles for the families. stupid right? Now I insist on a days worth of bottles and then send them home for mommy to wash. I don't have a large group so sending home things is not a problem here. My current daycare babies use basic Gerber ones (super easy!) and the other uses glass advent (warning: these heat up fast!). As for sippies, I don't care as long as they don't leak all over the place.

I also don't feed babies to get them to sleep, that turns into a problem later when they associate milk with sleeping and want bottles or sippies in the pack n play or can't get back to sleep without a refill.
laundrymom 09:18 AM 06-08-2011
They can use whatever they want. I ask them to bring one to leave here. I just tell them I will wash it after each use. I then use that if they ask for a bottle to go. And I promptly put it in their cubby. I use plain old plastic gerber or evenflo. Brown or clear nipple I don't care. The flo is controlled by how tight you put on the collar and the bubbles come from the neck and collar contact point from the vacuum created by baby drinking. It's simple science. Air rises skyward. Not down to babies throat. They swallow air because of frequent relatching or poor attachment on nipple. Not because you can see bubbles rising as the baby drinks. I had a parent argue with me saying the browns bottles has no bubbles, I flat told her no because the straw vents tho bubbles to the bottom of the bottle where there is no liquid to SEE the bubbles. To prove my point I cut the straw of one in half and showed her how the bubbles formed when the liquid covered the end. Typical marketing ploy. Tell parents something will work, show them some testimonials, maybe do a small research study on how fussy babies are after using them but remember to only give the expensive one you want to sell to babies being held by a familiar person, who isn't over tired or hungry in a calm relaxed setting. To the " other brand" you have a stranger feed a very tired and hungry baby in a chaotic setting. Biased research.
Kind of like a sign over my husbands old factory jobs entry door said " the finest sanitary pottery workers in the USA enter these doors

Hmmmm

They were the only ones!!! All other jobs had already moved overseas.

Like I say chris is my favorite son, he's the only one I've got.

Anyway,.. Sorry hot button topic for me. Companies who use a parents fear, love,, or insecurities to sell product.
hwichlaz 10:21 PM 12-08-2017
As a nursing mom, I hated the old playtex. Babies learn to bite down on them to control the flow.....

I like the old fashioned evenflow glass bottles.

I provide the bottles, so I get to use what I like.

I’ve had to compromise for picky nurslings that wanted a bottle shaped like a breast, but am usually able to get them on the evenflo. They fit better in my hand and are more comfortable for me to use. My hands are painful most days.
Tags:2011, avent, bottle, bottle dr brown, bottles, colicky, dr browns, gas, gassy
Reply Up