Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do I Send Everyone Home Now?
littlemommy 09:50 AM 12-02-2011
My son just got sick. I'm not sure if he's actually sick, or if he just gagged himself. Lately he's been sticking his entire hand in his mouth thinking it's funny.

Do I stay open for the day or do I let parents know? If I knew for sure he IS actually sick, I'd call them right away, but I don't know that!
Heidi 09:54 AM 12-02-2011
If he doesn't show other signs of illness, then I would just give the parents a heads up and let them decide.
AnneCordelia 09:56 AM 12-02-2011
If it were my son I would make him comfortable and go about my day. The kids have already been exposed if it's an illness. I'd sanitize stuff and keep on truckin'. But, I can't afford to close due to my child's illness, unless it's an emergency situation.
Zoe 10:00 AM 12-02-2011
My DD6 is sick from school today, but I stay open because I keep her in her room and away from the dck's. I'm sure they've been exposed already (in fact it may have been one of them who gave it to her!) so I don't bother to close.
GretasLittleFriends 10:00 AM 12-02-2011
I remain open when my children are sick. I do my best to quarantine them. Much easier with the 16 yr old and 7 yr old, can't really quarantine the 19mo old. I notify my parents that my child/ren have XYZ symptoms or diagnosis and let them decide. I charge hourly, and if the parents choose not to bring their child that day I do not charge them.

If one of my kids gets sick during the day (needing to come home from school) or my little one, and it's a dis-qualifier per my contract, I notify my parents immediately and let them make the decision whether or not to pick their child up.
littlemommy 10:03 AM 12-02-2011
Originally Posted by Zoe:
My DD6 is sick from school today, but I stay open because I keep her in her room and away from the dck's. I'm sure they've been exposed already (in fact it may have been one of them who gave it to her!) so I don't bother to close.
Do you inform parents before they come?

I can't really afford to close, either. Every hour counts! I think I'll just keep him away from the others. It's noon and my last kid leaves at 4..so it won't be hard with naptime in there.
Zoe 10:05 AM 12-02-2011
Originally Posted by littlemommy:
Do you inform parents before they come?

I can't really afford to close, either. Every hour counts! I think I'll just keep him away from the others. It's noon and my last kid leaves at 4..so it won't be hard with naptime in there.
If it's bad, yes, but today I didn't because she has a sore throat and a low fever. I honestly don't know what's going on with her. Maybe I should have but it's only the one kid today for 2 hours, so I guess I didn't bother.

If you feel it's something hazardous to the dck's then notify the parents, but I wouldn't give them a credit for the day. Charge them regardless.
youretooloud 10:05 AM 12-02-2011
I would just put him in a nice little nest on the couch or somewhere away from the kids, and go on with my day. I don't call in sick unless there is a hospital involved.
GretasLittleFriends 10:13 AM 12-02-2011
Originally Posted by Zoe:
If it's bad, yes, but today I didn't because she has a sore throat and a low fever. I honestly don't know what's going on with her. Maybe I should have but it's only the one kid today for 2 hours, so I guess I didn't bother.

If you feel it's something hazardous to the dck's then notify the parents, but I wouldn't give them a credit for the day. Charge them regardless.
I hope she feels better soon!

Just an FYI, strep throat and mono are both going around. My son (7) had strep, and battled a fever for days. First diagnosis (no test done) was virus. We went back to the clinic 5 days later still battling the fever, they ran a strep test, and it was positive. He never had a sore throat. I, of course let all of my parents know, and the majority of them chose to let their kids still come since they had already been exposed. Apparently I cleaned and sanitized well enough as nobody else ended up with it anyway.
daycare 10:14 AM 12-02-2011
I would not send anyone home unless your child needed your undivided attention.

All of the kids have already been exposed. If you can call a friend or relative that might be able to help you out a little bit so that you can care for him that is probably the most that I would do.

I would also inform the parents at pick up that you had to call in for help becuase your child became ill. This way they will see that you need extra help when a child is sick and reason why you can't have them sending their child to care sick. Well just one of the many reasons
Zoe 10:18 AM 12-02-2011
Originally Posted by GretasLittleFriends:
I hope she feels better soon!

Just an FYI, strep throat and mono are both going around. My son (7) had strep, and battled a fever for days. First diagnosis (no test done) was virus. We went back to the clinic 5 days later still battling the fever, they ran a strep test, and it was positive. He never had a sore throat. I, of course let all of my parents know, and the majority of them chose to let their kids still come since they had already been exposed. Apparently I cleaned and sanitized well enough as nobody else ended up with it anyway.
Beautiful. I've noticed this week that every single one of my dck's had runny noses and coughs this week. Not enough to exclude them. Then all of a sudden DD wakes up and doesn't feel well. So dck's combined with all of her fellow classmates, who knows?! Her fever has gone up since dcb got picked up so I may take her to the dr. soon to figure out what's going on.
littlemommy 11:26 AM 12-02-2011
He's taking a good nap now, and has no other symptoms. I really think he may have gagged himself with his hand. Sometimes if he gets hair or something on his tongue, he'll scratch at it and then stick his whole hand in there trying to get it out. Silly kid.

If he was really sick and was puking more, I would have called parents by now. It's kinda hard to keep an active (almost!) 2 year old in a separate room.
Tags:illness policy, provider - own child
Reply Up