Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Most Important Meal Of The Day????
B Lou 05:52 AM 10-11-2011
Remember when breakfast was the most important meal of the day? We want to send our child off with a good start? Then why is it so many parents bring their child to daycare with a handful of crap. For the last two days I've had a parent bring me her daughter with a bag od homemade cookies. Some to share with my family but 2 for her own daughter to eat after breakfest while she's waiting for the school bus. I mean really. Cookies for breakfest. Why don't we just wash it down with some mountian dew.
Then the next parent comes in with her daughter, who is only 2 1/2 eating an orange slice. You know the gummy kind. And follows with stating "Oh she found it on the floor of the van". Really?
What are wrong with parents these days?
hoopinglady 05:59 AM 10-11-2011
One of my families feeds pop tarts for breakfast every morning and is constantly concerned that her 3.5 year old boy is ADD because he "doesn't focus well"
B Lou 06:02 AM 10-11-2011
I know of a daycare provider who will accually feed her daycare kids poptarts for breakfest. Wonder if her parents or the food program knows she does this. Again REALLY!
countrymom 06:09 AM 10-11-2011
and you wonder why kids are so obesse early, have problems focusing...my own children eat every day breakfast, I believe that breakfast is the most important meal, and I love the ones that say "they just are not hungry in the morning" bull poop, I don't understand how they expect children to concentrate when their stomachs are rumbling.
nannyde 06:19 AM 10-11-2011
Originally Posted by B Lou:
I know of a daycare provider who will accually feed her daycare kids poptarts for breakfest. Wonder if her parents or the food program knows she does this. Again REALLY!
I think poptarts ARE credible on the food program. I know they used to be.
B Lou 06:34 AM 10-11-2011
I make sure that I have a good breakfest for all the daycare kids as well as my own 17 year old. The parent that brought herr daughter in this morning with the cookies also informed me that after she eats here she goes to school and eats again. This is a child that is so very close to obessity that it makes me wonder. When did the kids take over and set the rules at their houses?
GretasLittleFriends 06:49 AM 10-11-2011
My DD1 (16) and DS and sometimes my DD2 (1) if she's awake before the big kids go to school, all sit down together and eat together. I'm usually in the kitchen with them, making lunches or tidying up, or whatever.

On my Minute Menu, breakfast options include a grain category titled Pastry/Muffins and offer the following choices to choose from: Cinnamon Rolls, Coffee Cake, Donuts, Sweet Rolls, Toaster Pastries Unfrosted. Muffins are also listed, but are in the Breads category.

I have a friend who feeds her little boy sugary cereal each morning. I suggest she try feeding him different cereal for two weeks. (WIC approved, low/no sugar). She says "Oh, he won't eat that stuff." Kix or Miniwheats or Multi-grain cheerios would make a HUGE difference, I believe.

She wants him tested for ADHD, as he doesn't pay attention, won't follow directions or obey rules for her. Personally I think his biggest issue is he lacks discipline and consequence. Prime example, she was telling me how Bobby was misbehaving. He started misbehaving while we were talking, and she says if you keep that up, I am not taking you to the state fair, as you can't behave. Guess what, not only did he go to the state fair, he was misbehaving there too. Off subject... Rant ended.
B Lou 06:53 AM 10-11-2011
I believe that alot of these kids that have ADHD or ADD could benifit from just eating better. Lets try changing our diet before we decide to drug our children.
Now before everyone starts jumping on me for that statement, I do believe that some child do need to be on medication. But before I would put my child on medication I was willing to try other methods first.
Lets try laying off the soda and sugars. Try feeding them fruits and more veggies.
Maddy'sMommy 06:56 AM 10-11-2011
I love pop tarts!

lol, that being said, I don't serve them to the kids, and I only eat them myself like once a month.

My boyfriend likes them, so eats them more often. I figure I can't control what he eats for breakfast. lol
Jenniferdawn 07:19 AM 10-11-2011
Geez, don't get me started on this. I have one family who consistently brought their breakfast with them in the mornings which included donuts, sugar cereal, Hawaiian punch (yes, for BREAKFAST!) candy, cookies, you name it. Poor kids were sick all the time. Not to mention hungry with in an hour of getting here. They were the family who made me change my policy to no food from home and who got me to start serving breakfast to the kids.
hoopinglady 07:22 AM 10-11-2011
also, I serve breakfast, so when a parent is rude enough to let their child walk in with a nasty, sticky pop tart, the other kids go a bit crazy.
tbutler 07:35 AM 10-11-2011
Some parents eat alot of crap so they feed their kids alot of crap too.

Unfortunately, in this busy, busy world we live in, honey buns, pop tarts, frosted flakes are easy and quick for working parents to be out the door in the morning and McD's for dinner so they can quickly put them to bed at night.

I look forward to cooking a good breakfast for my 5 year old before school as well as my daycare kids. Everyone isn't as fortunate to have this luxury. I know I sure wasn't last year waking up at 5:30am to dress me, a 4 year old, and 3year old to be out of the house by 6:20am. Oatmeal was my go to breakfast then. No where near as good as what they are getting now, fresh wheat pancakes with bananas, eggs with turkey bacon, etc.
sharlan 07:36 AM 10-11-2011
I've always felt that breakfast was the most important meal of the day. I always prefered to give the kids some kind of protein, fruit, and milk to start the day.

I do buy PopTarts twice a year. The kids get them for a midmorning snack after they've had a good breakfast, along with a glass of milk. Everyone gets their PopTart fix for the next 6 mos.
Nellie 07:39 AM 10-11-2011
My mom was a huge you HAVE to eat breakfast kind of person. If you over slept she made toast to eat at the bus stop. But I have had a problem with my daughter since she started on solids. Never could get more than a few bites in her. When she was 3 she had to go to daycare. Sit her at the table every morning and she would just stare at her food. I even started buying sugar cereals to try to get her to eat something, but she always refused. Started waking her up 2 1/2 hours before we had to leave to give her time to wake up and hoping she would want to eat right before we had to leave, NOTHING. Once she was in school I could get her to eat 1/2 serving of cereal in the morning, but that was it and it was a FIGHT to force her to eat that much. Now she is 13. In the summers she doesn't eat a bite until 10:0. Tried making her eat a little of something before she goes to school, but when she gets home she talks about how her tummy hurts all morning when she eats. The school now has a breakfast program. At her age they can go buy something(or bring) until 10 and eat it at there desk. I've let the eating right away in the morning go if she will eat a piece of fruit and yougurt at school.
My mom says that she was like Erin. Never hungry in the morning,. but her parents made her eat breakfast. She threw up every morning on the bus. She finally begged her mom to quit making her eat. She brought a PB and Jelly sandwitch to school with her and would eat that right before class started.
hoopinglady 07:41 AM 10-11-2011
there are plenty of quick healthy options. Fruit, toast, crackers, cheese, yogurt, leftovers...anything!

I make oatmeal bars. They take 45 minutes to bake but then you can keep them and grab them on the go.

It doesn't have to be home cooked or elaborate to not be processed and full of sugar to start their day.
Unregistered 07:46 AM 10-11-2011
Personally, I don't see what's wrong with a couple of homemade cookies for breakfast. They most likely contain better ingredients than any processed cereal product. They are definitely better than pop tarts or eggo waffles. They contain similar ingredients to other baked items, such as homemade breads, muffins, pancakes, etc. We eat oatmeal cookies all the time for breakfast. The kids love them! Just because it's a cookie, doesn't mean it's bad for you.

On the other hand...I used to care for a child who, when dropped off by dad, came with his baggie of candy for the road. Let's just say that baggie got put on the counter and was returned to the child about 5 min before mom was due to show up. What comes around goes around there. When mom came to get him & he was having the candy, I said "Dad brought this with today and we're just getting around to having it now." Never saw candy again after that. LOL He'd also come with pop tarts that I promptly pitched in the garbage after the parents left. A homemade cookie would've been SOOO much better an option than the candy or pop tart.
sharlan 07:54 AM 10-11-2011
Originally Posted by Nellie:
My mom was a huge you HAVE to eat breakfast kind of person. If you over slept she made toast to eat at the bus stop. But I have had a problem with my daughter since she started on solids. Never could get more than a few bites in her. When she was 3 she had to go to daycare. Sit her at the table every morning and she would just stare at her food. I even started buying sugar cereals to try to get her to eat something, but she always refused. Started waking her up 2 1/2 hours before we had to leave to give her time to wake up and hoping she would want to eat right before we had to leave, NOTHING. Once she was in school I could get her to eat 1/2 serving of cereal in the morning, but that was it and it was a FIGHT to force her to eat that much. Now she is 13. In the summers she doesn't eat a bite until 10:0. Tried making her eat a little of something before she goes to school, but when she gets home she talks about how her tummy hurts all morning when she eats. The school now has a breakfast program. At her age they can go buy something(or bring) until 10 and eat it at there desk. I've let the eating right away in the morning go if she will eat a piece of fruit and yougurt at school.
My mom says that she was like Erin. Never hungry in the morning,. but her parents made her eat breakfast. She threw up every morning on the bus. She finally begged her mom to quit making her eat. She brought a PB and Jelly sandwitch to school with her and would eat that right before class started.

My sister, niece, and oldest daughter are like that. Do not even show them food before 10 AM. At 34, my dd just started drinking an Ensure High Protein for breakfast and is able to keep that down.
graham.shellbell 08:05 AM 10-11-2011
I fed my littles 1/2 a poptart for breakfast this morning...they get it once in a while with a fruit smoothie and half a banana. Only one of them ate the whole thing the others pick at it cause I don't serve them often at all but some mornings here it is all about convenience for me with 3 infants all needing fed at the same time and 5 kids being dropped off.
cheerfuldom 08:12 AM 10-11-2011
it gets worse when marketing acts like sugar cereal and such ARE healthy option. It takes about one minute literally to make instant oatmeal and you can get the no sugar or low sugar varieties. that is one of our favorites because it keeps the kids full all morning. my kids love sliced fruit, toast (grain or wheat breads), eggs, you name it. Kids WILL eat anything when that is what they are offered. I do not believe parents that insist their kid will only eat chicken nuggets covered in dip. Parents need to take the initiative to rid the house of junk and force everyone to eat better. Think about it, I bet most of these junk food parents are regulars at Starbucks and fast food places. One of my friends said her son's first word was french fry! I babysat another friend's child and this 1 year old cried EVERY time we drove past a McDonald's. She even said donalds and pointed out the window!
B Lou 08:35 AM 10-11-2011
The comment about a homemade cookies being ok for breakfest really confusses me. I guess it reminds me of the old Bill Cosby scene about Choc. cake for breakfest. I mean flour and eggs and milk. Right. Sorry have to disagree with you on this one. I think there are way better options other than sugar filled cookies. Homemade or not.
AnneCordelia 08:45 AM 10-11-2011
My homemade cookies have oats, ww flour, butter, eggs and SUGAR. Not for breakfast here. But, I don't feed my DCKs breakfast. I do make sure my own children have a hot breakfast every day. Sometimes it's as easy at oatmeal and fruit, but usually there are eggs, ham and toast w/ fruit.
B Lou 08:52 AM 10-11-2011
I was looking at our minute menu and no where on the breakfast section does it show homemade cookies. Maybe I'm just over looking it. We only have homemade cookies as a snack on occasion. Always with milk. It's the sugar content that I'm worried about.
youretooloud 08:55 AM 10-11-2011
I grew up eating pop tarts or eggos in the morning.

The kids who didn't eat eggos in the morning, were eating sugared cereal. So, I think the "eat whatever is fast and easy" has been going on for decades.

The only time we ever got a healthy breakfast was on Sunday mornings.
cheerfuldom 09:17 AM 10-11-2011
my point is that there are plenty of fast and easy healthy options. How long does it take to slice up a banana for goodness sakes? It takes longer to toast a pop tart or waffle.
Blackcat31 09:28 AM 10-11-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
my point is that there are plenty of fast and easy healthy options. How long does it take to slice up a banana for goodness sakes? It takes longer to toast a pop tart or waffle.
LOL, this made me think of a girlfriend I had years ago that I teased all the time because she bought pre-packaged pancakes because she said it was too time consuming to actually make them from scratch.

I guess looking back now, I should have given her credit for at least feeding her kids something healthy versus junk food. It just made me laugh at how simple pancakes are to make yet she was willing to spend money for the convenience of frozen ready-made pancakes.
cheerfuldom 10:09 AM 10-11-2011
I know. Usually the "junk food" parents are too busy for a variety of things. If you are too busy to actually feed your kid, maybe you are just too busy, you know? And then there are the food issues that have nothing to do with time. Regular milk pours as quickly as chocolate milk you know?
momofsix 11:12 AM 10-11-2011
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
I grew up eating pop tarts or eggos in the morning.

The kids who didn't eat eggos in the morning, were eating sugared cereal. So, I think the "eat whatever is fast and easy" has been going on for decades.

The only time we ever got a healthy breakfast was on Sunday mornings.
Same here!
I think a lot of unhealthy eating can be simply a lack of knowledge. Poptarts are sold in the breakfast food aisle and marketed as a breakfast food, plus they taste good-why wouldn't people serve them to kids for breakfast?! Unless a person has learned from someone (parent, class, books, movie etc.) about food and how our bodies react to different foods they aren't going to know! I shudder when I think how I fed my dd's when they were younger-and I thought I was doing great b/c I didn't ever buy candy! I just didn't know-I thought that what the nurses at WIC told me was healthy was true (it's not-ice cream counted as my dairy among other unhealthy things they pushed)
Some of my parents ask for copies of my daycare menus now so that they can get healthy meal and snack ideas for their kids. They just need to know that eating healthy doesn't have to mean cooking over a stove for over an hour for each and every meal. Once they get some ideas of simple yet healthy snacks and meals they were much more willing to try them at home.
I know this isn't true for everyone-there are plenty of people that just don't care, but it was for me and I'm sure is for others too
DCMom 11:33 AM 10-11-2011
I think it is a generational thing. I'm over 50 and we always had home cooked, hot breakfasts. But, my mom didn't work. My kids (and daycare kids) have home-cooked, hot breakfasts. But I work/worked at home and had the time (made the time...) My middle son works overnights and will often stop in after work for breakfast because he knows it's going to be something good

Some of my daycare kids who started recently think that things like pancakes, waffles and french toast come from the freezer section of the grocery store. They don't know that an egg starts in a shell and comes from a chicken. They watched me make home made pancakes this morning and would not eat them because the weren't the frozen mini ones. Until they watched the others wolf them down and tried some that is ~ lol.

I really think it's just what they know and parents have never educated themselves any differently. Its sad, really. I believe our diets have so much to do with our health issues these days.
themoorethemerrier 11:35 AM 10-11-2011
Gah! We've got the poptart issue here, too. EVERY MORNING two of the kids walk in with a poptart in hand - they don't eat them, and then my 2yo son is going bonkers for them, and my youngest daughter wants to know why she can't have them.

We have the food program, so they get super healthy balanced meals - not much of a need for them to bring anything in.

I was wondering if anyone else put it in their contract about no outside food coming in?
nannyde 11:46 AM 10-11-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Regular milk pours as quickly as chocolate milk you know?

Can I borrow that one?

It aint about the milk. It's about the candy.
Kaddidle Care 01:26 PM 10-11-2011
I'm one that really isn't hungry until 10:00 - I'm sure my morning cup of coffee spoils my appetite. My son is also one that isn't hungry until later. He's not keen on any cereal, hot or cold. He will eat those Special K Protein bars (glorified granola bar). I found unconventional breakfasts work best with him.

I will give him any of these with a glass of milk:
Leftover Pizza
Apple with Peanut Butter
Egg Sandwich (egg cooks in 1 minute in the microwave)
Chicken Nuggets
And his favorite... TV Dinners
(I know they are horrible but they do have protein and calories.)

He does get the occasional donut as a special treat but donuts don't last long in this household.

He is 10 and is less than 65 lbs.

The worst breakfast I ever saw coming into the Daycare was a large Hershey Bar. We were all like "Are you kidding?"
Unregistered 01:41 PM 10-11-2011
When I mentioned cookies, I didn't mean we have them every day...maybe once a month or 6 weeks. They're a treat and for the amount of running around kids do, that bit of sugar isn't going to hurt them.
B Lou 02:18 PM 10-11-2011
Not to be rude but I noticed that you have a couple of comments on this thread. If you have something to offer why not become a registered user.......unless you're to busy making cookies for breakfast.lol. By the way I think in my opinion it is NEVER ok to have cookies for breakfast. They still have sugar in them. Just not a great way to start the day.
Blackcat31 02:20 PM 10-11-2011
Not to be rude but I noticed that you have a couple of comments on this thread. If you have something to offer why not become a registered user.......unless you're to busy making cookies for breakfast.lol. By the way I think in my opinion it is NEVER ok to have cookies for breakfast. They still have sugar in them. Just not a great way to start the day.

countrymom 02:32 PM 10-11-2011
I have no problems with cookies for breakfast if they are homemade, no different than a muffin. So before some complain about cookies, you need to read the labels. think about it, in homemade cookies, you can throw in anything just like muffins.

poptarts, my 2 kids like them, but only the ones that i can buy at meijers, since they come with 2, I split it and my kids have poptart containers for them. I hate them, but for a snack, its way better than some of the junk kids eat.
youretooloud 02:50 PM 10-11-2011
I make healthy oatmeal cookies every week. I have no guilt about them at all.

Healthy food is one of my pet peeves, but there are healthy versions of almost everything.
youretooloud 02:56 PM 10-11-2011
Healthy cookie ingredients.

Originally Posted by :
Ingredients

2 large eggs, beaten
1/2 cup of honey
1/4 cup of butter
1 cup grated carrots
1/2 cup raisins
1 cup walnuts, chopped
1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup rolled oats
1 tsp Nutmeg
1 tsp Cinnamon
1 and 1/2 cups Cheerios
(except dried apricots...ick)

Originally Posted by :
1/2 cup honey
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup coconut oil
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup ground flax seed meal
1 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups quick oats
1/4 cup EACH dried cranberries, dark chocolate chips, pepitas, sesame seeds, chopped nuts OR 1 1/4 cup trail mix

Unregistered 04:25 PM 10-11-2011
Nah...I really don't want to register. I can offer the same comments as unregistered as I could if I registered. If the board owner wanted everyone to be registered to comment, he'd lock it so nobody could read or comment unless they were registered. Since it's not a requirement, I see no reason to register. It's not like you'd know any more about me that way.

Oh, and my son made the cookies yesterday. Today, I'm making homemade baked beans. I suppose you wouldn't approve of those either since there's a bit of sugar in them as well. Tomorrow, I'll probably work on some homemade banana bread. There's sugar in that too, in case you're interested. Funny thing is, with all the sugar we apparently eat in this household, none of us is overweight.
Unregistered 05:27 PM 10-11-2011
I'm another bad one who on occasion makes breakfast cookies. Usually a low sugar oatmeal based cookie. I reduce the sugar by using applesauce and/or really ripe banana. Dates are good too. I just modify recipes like the ones below:

http://caloriecount.about.com/health...recipe-r222639

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/e...ipe/index.html
Michael 06:23 PM 10-11-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Nah...I really don't want to register. I can offer the same comments as unregistered as I could if I registered. If the board owner wanted everyone to be registered to comment, he'd lock it so nobody could read or comment unless they were registered. Since it's not a requirement, I see no reason to register. It's not like you'd know any more about me that way.

Oh, and my son made the cookies yesterday. Today, I'm making homemade baked beans. I suppose you wouldn't approve of those either since there's a bit of sugar in them as well. Tomorrow, I'll probably work on some homemade banana bread. There's sugar in that too, in case you're interested. Funny thing is, with all the sugar we apparently eat in this household, none of us is overweight.
When registered you can engage in the conversation in real time. You comments will no longer require moderation. Also, Private Messaging is enabled and you get a neat avatar.
Kaddidle Care 06:34 PM 10-11-2011
Originally Posted by Michael:
and you get a neat avatar.
Just be careful - it could look exactly like you - just like mine!
GretasLittleFriends 07:35 PM 10-11-2011
The comment about a homemade cookies being ok for breakfest really confusses me. I guess it reminds me of the old Bill Cosby scene about Choc. cake for breakfest. I mean flour and eggs and milk. Right. Sorry have to disagree with you on this one. I think there are way better options other than sugar filled cookies. Homemade or not.
Sure there are better options... One is ice cream! Ok, sorry, I couldn't resist.

Originally Posted by themoorethemerrier:
Gah! We've got the poptart issue here, too. EVERY MORNING two of the kids walk in with a poptart in hand - they don't eat them, and then my 2yo son is going bonkers for them, and my youngest daughter wants to know why she can't have them.

We have the food program, so they get super healthy balanced meals - not much of a need for them to bring anything in.

I was wondering if anyone else put it in their contract about no outside food coming in?
This is what my contract says:
Labeling Requirements for Food Brought From Home- Do NOT let your child bring ANY food unless it is an extra snack on his or her birthday and there is enough for all the children. No gum or candy. They will be taken away. The exception to this is if your child has a special diet or food needs, including formula and baby food. If your child requires a special diet due to allergies, medications, age and/or cultural or religious beliefs it will be the responsibility of the parent to provide a well balanced meal and snack for their child. No junk food, pop, gum, etc. Food and bottles brought from home must be labeled with the child's name.
Oneluckymom 09:30 PM 10-11-2011
Ok, so my son is six hates most conventional breakfasts...so he usually asks for what would typically be considered a lunch item. He is just under 50 pounds (he's a toothpick ). He does eat this is just his body type. But I guess what I'm saying is I would rather know my son ate a few cookies (which he has ) for breakfast because i didn't have time to throw together his favorite hm chicken nuggets. He loves hm oatmeal cookies and I wouldn't make a fuss over him having them for bf. Now OP mentioned obesity as an issue so I would take that into consideration for that DK, but that is really to parents to manage.
Rachel 03:48 AM 10-12-2011
Originally Posted by hoopinglady:
there are plenty of quick healthy options. Fruit, toast, crackers, cheese, yogurt, leftovers...anything!

I make oatmeal bars. They take 45 minutes to bake but then you can keep them and grab them on the go.

It doesn't have to be home cooked or elaborate to not be processed and full of sugar to start their day.

I would love the recipe for oatmeal bars!
hoopinglady 05:27 AM 10-12-2011
Originally Posted by Rachel:
I would love the recipe for oatmeal bars!

I've tried many different variations but I just start with equal parts flour and oats, a bit of baking soda and salt, maybe an egg.

You can add a few T. butter, brown sugar or applesauce for sweetener, dried fruit or fresh fruit. You can layer the fruit in the middle or mix it in the batter. I've done preserves, nuts or just plain....I've used a bit of maple syrup before. Thinly sliced apples, peaches, berries, anything really.

Mix it all together and press into a greased cookie sheet and bake for 40 minutes or so.

I usually make a ton. I'm not a really precise type cook so you have to toy with it. Sometimes they are more crumbly and sometimes more cakey.
cheerfuldom 06:36 AM 10-12-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:

Can I borrow that one?

It aint about the milk. It's about the candy.
ha ha, yes you can use that the whole chocolate milk thing is so crazy. One of my best friends said her preschooler was up to EIGHT sippies of chocolate milk a day, no regular, no water, etc. And this kid did not have a bedtime, period. She would pass out around midnight. Now she is school age and that is not acceptable and they have a bedtime and have cut back on the chocolate milk, thank goodness. Part of it was enrolling their kids in a home daycare (not mine) that quickly put the kids on a routine. best thing that ever happened to these kids.
B Lou 07:34 AM 10-12-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:

I really don't have a problem with cookies, it's cookies for breakfast. Not a problem with sugar, I just don't believe it should be for breakfast. Glad to hear that no one in your house is over weight from all the sugar......but it sure does seem to make you argumentative.
Meyou 12:28 PM 10-12-2011
So right on topic with this thread everyone will be happy to know that Burger King is now offering breakfast poutine in my area. That sound was me vomiting in case you were wondering.

What is breakfast poutine you ask?? Well it's fries, gravy, cheese, and bacon. Mmmmm...only 1500 calories and 99 grams of fat a bowl to start your day.
Blackcat31 12:30 PM 10-12-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:
So right on topic with this thread everyone will be happy to know that Burger King is now offering breakfast poutine in my area. That sound was me vomiting in case you were wondering.

What is breakfast poutine you ask?? Well it's fries, gravy, cheese, and bacon. Mmmmm...only 1500 calories and 99 grams of fat a bowl to start your day.
...yes, where is the vomit emoticon?!?!
themoorethemerrier 12:48 PM 10-12-2011
Originally Posted by GretasLittleFriends:
Sure there are better options... One is ice cream! Ok, sorry, I couldn't resist.

This is what my contract says:
Labeling Requirements for Food Brought From Home- Do NOT let your child bring ANY food unless it is an extra snack on his or her birthday and there is enough for all the children. No gum or candy. They will be taken away. The exception to this is if your child has a special diet or food needs, including formula and baby food. If your child requires a special diet due to allergies, medications, age and/or cultural or religious beliefs it will be the responsibility of the parent to provide a well balanced meal and snack for their child. No junk food, pop, gum, etc. Food and bottles brought from home must be labeled with the child's name.
Thanks - those are really good points. Adding!!!
nannyde 12:58 PM 10-12-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:

YIKES

That's nearly a day worth of calories and they are bad calories to boot.

Wanna hear a funny story?

I took DS to Paris for Xmas about five years or so ago. We stayed in this little hotel and right around the corner was a humungo AWESOME grocery store. We walked there every day to get food (no eating out cuz it was crazy expensive). We walked by a McDonalds on our way and EVERY time we walked by it I would see people stopping and reading this sign that was on the sidewalk right outside the door of Mickeys.

I don't speak French so I couldn't figure out WHAT the heck the sign said that stopped people along their way each and every time we walked by it.

So I asked the guy at the desk if he knew about it and the next time he was over there would he read it and translate it.

So he tells me that this sign was put there by the government and it basically said that McDonald's food is junk food or treat food and it was NOT intended to be eaten daily.

McDonalds tried to fight it... of course.. but the powers that be said they must keep the warning sign right outside their door.

That wouldn't happen here but at some point there has to be some protection put in for the public. It starts with food labeling and requiring nutrition info but it has to get to be WAY more than that to get the idea across that treats are treats and we can't be healthy and live off of them.
Crystal 02:33 PM 10-12-2011
You may not have meant to be rude, but this WAS really rude.

She was contributing in a polite, respectful way. Sounds to me like she makes healthy homemade food....just because you disagree with her doesn't mean you need to be rude.
Crystal 02:40 PM 10-12-2011
Oh, BTW, YES....pop tarts are approved by the food program. So are sugary cereals (you don't have to say WHICH cereal you provide, just "cold cereal"), cinnamon rolls, donuts, sweet rolls, banana bread, french toast, granola bars, etc.

The syrup you use on pancakes, waffles and french toast easily has the same amount of sugar as a homemade oatmeal cookie. Cinnamon rolls, donuts, etc. have at least as much sugar.

Considering the food program approves them, I see nothing wrong with the occasional oatmeal cookie, especially if it has raisins in it

FTR: I don't feed the kids that stuff, but it is acceptable by food program standards.
justgettingstarted 02:59 PM 10-12-2011
Remember when breakfast was the most important meal of the day? We want to send our child off with a good start? Then why is it so many parents bring their child to daycare with a handful of crap. For the last two days I've had a parent bring me her daughter with a bag od homemade cookies. Some to share with my family but 2 for her own daughter to eat after breakfest while she's waiting for the school bus. I mean really. Cookies for breakfest. Why don't we just wash it down with some mountian dew.
Then the next parent comes in with her daughter, who is only 2 1/2 eating an orange slice. You know the gummy kind. And follows with stating "Oh she found it on the floor of the van". Really?
What are wrong with parents these days?
Because my son is still in daycare while I'm starting up and just to play devil's advocate I have to say, its not always the parent that's at fault for this one! If I weren't planning to keep my son at home soon I'd be looking for a new daycare right now. I get a daily report with what he ate and its always a shocking mix of mostly junk. One morning a parent brought doughnuts for all the kids and she gave one to my toddler! Who gives a doughnut to a toddler!? She told me he doesn't seem to like the maple syrup or powdered sugar she puts on pancakes, I told her I usually just spread on a little jam or leave them dry and she thought I was crazy.
nannyde 03:09 PM 10-12-2011
Originally Posted by thinkinboutstarting:
Because my son is still in daycare while I'm starting up and just to play devil's advocate I have to say, its not always the parent that's at fault for this one! If I weren't planning to keep my son at home soon I'd be looking for a new daycare right now. I get a daily report with what he ate and its always a shocking mix of mostly junk. One morning a parent brought doughnuts for all the kids and she gave one to my toddler! Who gives a doughnut to a toddler!? She told me he doesn't seem to like the maple syrup or powdered sugar she puts on pancakes, I told her I usually just spread on a little jam or leave them dry and she thought I was crazy.
You are correct about it being providers too. It's the schools too... it's everywhere you go.

It's pretty sad when your food program endorses really bad junk food. Big Ag is very powerful.
familyschoolcare 04:24 PM 10-12-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
You are correct about it being providers too. It's the schools too... it's everywhere you go.

It's pretty sad when your food program endorses really bad junk food. Big Ag is very powerful.
Funny this tread should head in this direction. I am going to a mandatory meet/training for my food program tonight it is about preventing childhood obesity.

I am not really sure if some of the things that are talked about here pop tarts and sugar cereals are allowed on my food program or not because I do not feed them, to anyone my child or other wise. I have a no more than 10 grams (12 grams if it has real fruit in it) of sugar per serving rule for cereal and breakfast bar and pop tarts. SO, yes I would feed my children the non-frosted pop tarts if they would eat them.
B Lou 06:14 AM 10-13-2011
When I serve pancakes or french toast I use only sugar free syrup. And if the child is still finger eating a spread alittle butter and cut it up. No syrup or powder sugar.
Sorry if this post has offended so many. Again I just don't agree that cookies are for breakfast. Any other time of the day is fine with me.
Unregistered 08:29 AM 10-13-2011
When I serve pancakes or french toast I use only sugar free syrup. And if the child is still finger eating a spread alittle butter and cut it up. No syrup or powder sugar.
Sorry if this post has offended so many. Again I just don't agree that cookies are for breakfast. Any other time of the day is fine with me.
Really, what difference does it make if you're willing to serve them other times of the day? As long as the child is getting a balanced amount of food over the whole course of the day, what difference does it make if they get cookies for breakfast? I serve fruit for a snack. If I served cookies for a snack, they'd want that every day. At breakfast time it's like "WOW I get cookies for breakfast! YAY" and they know it's a treat. And for a once a month kind of thing, what difference does it make?

Also, do you know what's in your sugar free syrup? Doesn't that contain aspartame or some other artificial sweetener? Isn't corn syrup the base of the syrup? I'd rather my kids get real sugar than fake and I try not to use any products with corn syrup. We use local honey on pancakes here and they LOVE it. Yes, it's a form of sugar, but at least it's all natural.

In the end it's all a matter of what you think is healthy vs. what others think is healthy. You may believe pancakes are the way to go for breakfast, but I see the pancakes as empty calories that'll have you hungry in an hour. You see cookies as a snack item, but I see OATMEAL cookies as a breakfast treat that keeps you full till lunch. You see sugar as a real problem, but I see sugar as being much better than high fructose corn syrup.
Rachel 10:04 AM 10-15-2011
Originally Posted by hoopinglady:
I've tried many different variations but I just start with equal parts flour and oats, a bit of baking soda and salt, maybe an egg.

You can add a few T. butter, brown sugar or applesauce for sweetener, dried fruit or fresh fruit. You can layer the fruit in the middle or mix it in the batter. I've done preserves, nuts or just plain....I've used a bit of maple syrup before. Thinly sliced apples, peaches, berries, anything really.

Mix it all together and press into a greased cookie sheet and bake for 40 minutes or so.

I usually make a ton. I'm not a really precise type cook so you have to toy with it. Sometimes they are more crumbly and sometimes more cakey.
Thank you! I'll give it a try!
Tags:meals, meals - most important
Reply Up