Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Allergies
Ariana 08:16 AM 07-27-2018
This will be the first time that I will have a child in my care with allergies. The allergy is to strawberries.

What things do you require from parents for kids with allergies in your care?

Thanks!
happymom 08:21 AM 07-27-2018
My son is allergic to strawberries.

My daycare has a list of all the kids allergies, they just require it in writing from me including a plan on what to do if he has strawberries=)
Ariana 08:27 AM 07-27-2018
Originally Posted by happymom:
My son is allergic to strawberries.

My daycare has a list of all the kids allergies, they just require it in writing from me including a plan on what to do if he has strawberries=)
This is what they did at the centre where I used to work as well but those plans were signed by DRs. Did you just do the action plan yourself? Wondering if I shoukd require a plan from a DR.

Does your son need an epi pen for strawberries? A kid at the centre needed one. I can ask the parent as well but wanted to know all of the info before I contact her about it!
happymom 08:53 AM 07-27-2018
My son does not need an epi pen.

I just told them what we experience (hives) when he has it and they keep a bottle of benadryl just in case. I keep benadryl in both our cars and my purse, but his allergies are not life threatening.

Mom will be happy that you are asking questions and taking it seriously. Strawberries are an easy one to avoid =)
Baby Beluga 03:17 PM 07-27-2018
This is what is in my HB:

Please take note that the childcare home is not a food allergy free environment. If your child has food allergies, for their safety it may be requested that you provide your child’s meals and snacks that are pre-prepared and in compliance with the USDA child meal pattern guidelines. In addition a doctor letter stating the following is required:

•What your child’s food allergies are.
•Date the allergy was diagnosed.
•What symptoms your child experiences if exposed to a food allergen.
•What steps need to be taken should your child be exposed to a food allergen.

This letter is required prior to your child’s first day in care.

Second Home 05:52 AM 07-31-2018
Here in Md a child must have an action plan from their Dr if they have allergies or asthma .
Blackcat31 05:55 AM 07-31-2018
Like Second Home I am required to have specific info about an allergy prior to a child starting. It's one page with necessary info about the allergy.

I'll PM the form to you.... it might be useful for you!
Ariana 10:51 AM 08-01-2018
Thank you everyone!

I contacted mom with a bunch of questions and asked for a plan of action. She responded with “I am not sure if it is an allergy, her mouth got a bit rashy the first time she had it”

I am going to have my hands full with this one! I tokd her to get a referral to an allergist to have it tested and I would not feed her strawberries until then. It may take a few months to see an allergist.
Tags:allergies, allergies - fruit, food intolerance
Reply Up