Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Anyone Got 20 Grand Lying Around?????
Meeko 06:19 AM 09-26-2012
Because I want this loft!!!

http://www.strictlyforkids.net/Lofts...-included)-574

Honestly.....I would think it was possible to get a handyman to build one for MUCH less!

Hmmmm........

"Honey.....I have an idea.......you know that new saw you wanted........."
littlemissmuffet 06:22 AM 09-26-2012
I think that's awesome! For *my* child. I'd never use it for daycare... those stairs scare the hell out of me, lol!

I also think to create a DIY variation would be MUCH less expensive! Very cool, though!
momofsix 06:22 AM 09-26-2012
Oh my gosh...how cute! But yeah, with all the foreclosures around here you could almost buy a whole house for twenty thousand
SilverSabre25 06:23 AM 09-26-2012
gorgeous, but ridiculous price! You can certainly build one for less!!

I posted this before...

Instructions for one for about $300

I'm sure that someone with know-how could alter those plans to match the one you posted!
Blackcat31 07:12 AM 09-26-2012
I showed my DH the photo since I too, have been bugging him for something similar for years now.

He said if he could actually get one person to pay him $20,000 for that, he could probably build one for every daycare in town! He said it is almost laughable how much some of these companies want for a few hundred dollars worth of lumber.

Back when I worked for Head Start we had wanted to build a loft like this in our classroom but were ultimatley denied because it wasn't consider "inclusive" because kids with diablilities such as wheel chairs and/or walkers weren't able to use it too so we never got one.

Some day, though I will talk my DH into actually building me one since I do have the space. It is so darn cute!!
nanglgrl 07:22 AM 09-26-2012
My hubby built a loft and the kids love it. We had to build stairs up to the egress so we decided to make it a platform instead. The upstairs has a reading area and costume closet, the downstairs is the living room, kitchen, sleep mat storage and baby area. I will try to get a photo up today.
Meeko 08:41 AM 09-26-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:

I posted this before...

I'm sure that someone with know-how could alter those plans to match the one you posted!
Oh my..this is GORGEOUS!!
clep 09:05 AM 09-26-2012
My husband could build that easily for wayyyy less. Haha. What a ridiculous price!!!

Awesome unit thought for sure.
Hunni Bee 10:27 AM 09-26-2012

I posted this before...

I wonder if someone could build me an adult size one....in purple.
DCMom 12:18 PM 09-26-2012
You gotta wonder who actually pays that kind of $$ for something like that. Geez, my car cost less!

I had a loft for several years. In the beginning it was great, the kids used it appropriately and it was really a big hit. Then the novelty wore off and my group changed; I got tired of keeping the babies from crawling up the stairs, the kids sneaking crayons up and writing on the ceiling, throwing things over the side and last but not least a school age episode of 'playing doctor' in the upper level...I donated it to the church and they have it in their quiet room. They love it!
nanglgrl 01:40 PM 09-26-2012
Here are some photos of our loft. The kids love it. I have a half door for the bottom step but haven't had to use it because all of my kids are older. I store rest mats under the stairs which is handy. I still have to make the curtains and do a few finishing touches.

The first photo is the stairs going up to the costume area.
The second photo is the reading area and a bench with storage for more costumes.
The third photo is looking down from the stairs into the play kitchen.
The fourth photo is the "livingroom" and baby doll area located under the loft.
Attached: 041.jpg (54.8 KB) 042.jpg (37.0 KB) 043.jpg (46.1 KB) 045.jpg (47.5 KB) 
Blackcat31 02:49 PM 09-26-2012
Super cute Nanglgrl!!! Love that you have the stair colors labeled!

I bet the kids LOVE being up there...it looks cozy and inviting!
daycare 03:14 PM 09-26-2012
OMG nangirl who made that.....simply amazing!!!!
SilverSabre25 05:38 PM 09-26-2012
nanlgrl, that's gorgeous!

My husband wants me to complain about the incorrect order of the colored stairs.
nanglgrl 06:51 PM 09-26-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Super cute Nanglgrl!!! Love that you have the stair colors labeled!

I bet the kids LOVE being up there...it looks cozy and inviting!
Thank you very much. I figured if I had to have stairs to my egress I would make them fun! The littles do like it, I think it's their favorite center.
nanglgrl 06:54 PM 09-26-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
OMG nangirl who made that.....simply amazing!!!!
Thank you. I drew a photo telling my hubby what I wanted, he built it and I painted it and did the finishing touches. I'm just glad it turned out. Once (years ago) we tried to build a loft bed for our oldest daughter and it turned out horrible!
nanglgrl 06:58 PM 09-26-2012
nanlgrl, that's gorgeous!

My husband wants me to complain about the incorrect order of the colored stairs.
Thank you! Lol, I forget why the stairs ended up that way exactly. I think I was trying to paint everything that was blue at one time, everything that was red at one time...etc. so I wouldn't have to keep cleaning the brushes. That meant I had to paint every other step so I could stand on the ones in the middle that were dry to paint the 2nd and 3rd coat. I'm just so glad to be done!
Tags:building addition, construction, play area, play area - loft
Reply Up