Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>White Chicken Chili
mema 09:01 AM 12-17-2013
Anyone have a good recipe? I tried one last night and my kids vetoed it (I don't blame them-wasn't great, kinda blah). I am looking for one that doesn't call for chiles or peppers. They do not have hot/spicy taste buds-neither do I.
momofsix 02:02 PM 12-17-2013
OK-I'm giving out my secret recipe so you should feel really special
It's won 3 first place prizes and one second place prize in cook-offs
I just combined my favorite things from different recipes and made my own.

4 boneless/skinless chicken breasts
1 onion chopped
1 48oz jar great northern beans (undrained)
16oz salsa (i use fresh but use whatever your family likes)
2 4oz cans mild green chilies chopped (optional)
2t ground cumin
1 can 14oz creamed corn
3c chicken broth
2c Monterey jack cheese (or pepper jack)

Saute chicken with onion until just cooked. (I usually add a little garlic for flavor too) Combine with all of the rest of the ingredients and either cook on stove or I usually throw it all in a crock-pot and leave it on low all day.
Often times I make up a huge batch of chicken breasts in the crock-pot seasoned with a little garlic/onion and shred it and keep it in the freezer. I often use this instead of doing the sauteing when I make it. It's a lot easier and takes less time.
If you like a little creamier broth add a brick of cream cheese (cut up) and melt it in. If you like it thinner just add a little more broth.
I usually serve this with extra cheese, cilantro ( I LOVE cilantro!) sour cream and chips.
And now I'm hungry for white chicken!!!
mema 07:34 AM 12-18-2013
Thank you! I'll have to give it a try in a few weeks, so they can forget about this last one first.
Lyss 08:13 AM 12-20-2013
Originally Posted by momofsix:
OK-I'm giving out my secret recipe so you should feel really special
It's won 3 first place prizes and one second place prize in cook-offs
I just combined my favorite things from different recipes and made my own.

4 boneless/skinless chicken breasts
1 onion chopped
1 48oz jar great northern beans (undrained)
16oz salsa (i use fresh but use whatever your family likes)
2 4oz cans mild green chilies chopped (optional)
2t ground cumin
1 can 14oz creamed corn
3c chicken broth
2c Monterey jack cheese (or pepper jack)

Saute chicken with onion until just cooked. (I usually add a little garlic for flavor too) Combine with all of the rest of the ingredients and either cook on stove or I usually throw it all in a crock-pot and leave it on low all day.
Often times I make up a huge batch of chicken breasts in the crock-pot seasoned with a little garlic/onion and shred it and keep it in the freezer. I often use this instead of doing the sauteing when I make it. It's a lot easier and takes less time.
If you like a little creamier broth add a brick of cream cheese (cut up) and melt it in. If you like it thinner just add a little more broth.
I usually serve this with extra cheese, cilantro ( I LOVE cilantro!) sour cream and chips.
And now I'm hungry for white chicken!!!
Holy cow that sounds awesome! Today's a half day for me and then I'm off to the store to pick up the few things I don't have. Thanks!
momofsix 10:30 AM 12-20-2013
Originally Posted by mema:
Thank you! I'll have to give it a try in a few weeks, so they can forget about this last one first.
Originally Posted by Lyss:
Holy cow that sounds awesome! Today's a half day for me and then I'm off to the store to pick up the few things I don't have. Thanks!
I hope you both enjoy
SilverSabre25 07:00 AM 12-27-2013
I'm sitting here making my next 6 week meal plan and this is definitely going on the list. In like, week 1. It sounds SO good! Thank you for sharing!
MNMommy2 07:27 PM 01-26-2014
Have you frozen this with good results? I have made it once and my family LOVED it. I want to make it again and portion some out for DH's lunches.
momofsix 06:37 AM 01-27-2014
I'm not sure if I've frozen it or not...we usually just eat the whole thing up before it gets bad
cara041083 07:24 AM 01-27-2014
White Chili Recipe
• Yield: 8-10 servings
Add to shopping list
INGREDIENTS
• 1 lb large white beans, soaked overnight in water, drained
• 6 cups chicken broth
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 medium onions, chopped (divided)
• 1 Tbsp olive oil
• 2 4-ounce cans chopped green chilies
• 2 tsp ground cumin
• 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
• 1/4 tsp ground cloves
• 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
• 4 cups diced cooked chicken
• 3 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese
• 1 jalapeno or serrano pepper, chopped (optional)
METHOD

1 Combine beans, chicken broth, garlic and half the onions in a large soup pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until beans are very soft, 3 hours or more. Add additional water (or watered-down broth), if necessary.

2 In a skillet, sauté remaining onions in oil until tender. Add chilies and seasonings and mix thoroughly. Add to bean mixture. Add chicken and continue to simmer 1 hour. Check seasoning, add jalapeno or serrano to level of desired hotness.
3 Serve topped with grated cheese. Garnish with cilantro, chopped fresh tomato, salsa, chopped scallions, and/or guacamole. Serve with fresh warmed flour tortillas or tortilla chips.

Soo Good
MNMommy2 09:59 AM 01-27-2014
Originally Posted by momofsix:
I'm not sure if I've frozen it or not...we usually just eat the whole thing up before it gets bad
The ate it fast last time, too! DH said to add it into our rotation. I am going to try freezing and if I think of it, I will let you know how it held up.
Tags:chicken, chili, recipe
Reply Up