Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Where To Find Cheap Dress Up Clothes?
midaycare 10:29 AM 09-02-2014
I don't have anyone I can get hand me downs from, and the second hand stores around here have been a bust.

I'm looking for the doctor, fireman, princess type stuff. It is super expensive whenever I see it. If I do find cheap things, it is made to break within 24 hours. I have had a little bit of luck at the dollar store, but I have bought their supply out.

Any ideas?

TIA!
Sunshine74 10:32 AM 09-02-2014
I am going to be following this thread because we have the same problem. Eight now we have one dress, one "princess" top, and a red jacket.
Blackcat31 10:33 AM 09-02-2014
Try Goodwill. Or ask your families.

I've had luck with both.

Sadly the good quality stuff IS expensive but once you amass a good collection, it pays off because you don't have to buy over and over.

I've also got a couple DCD/DCM's that work in service industry and they've donated safety vests, ear muffs, hard hats, lab coats etc before so that might be a good place to start.
midaycare 10:38 AM 09-02-2014
Originally Posted by Sunshine74:
I am going to be following this thread because we have the same problem. Eight now we have one dress, one "princess" top, and a red jacket.
Right??? When my kids dress up now they end up with a fireman's hat, a lizard mask, and a tutu. They look a little disturbing.
midaycare 11:01 AM 09-02-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Try Goodwill. Or ask your families.

I've had luck with both.

Sadly the good quality stuff IS expensive but once you amass a good collection, it pays off because you don't have to buy over and over.

I've also got a couple DCD/DCM's that work in service industry and they've donated safety vests, ear muffs, hard hats, lab coats etc before so that might be a good place to start.
I think I will probably have to go ahead and just set aside $50 a month for different dress up things until I have some nice stuff. I went ahead and ordered some doctor things from Amazon that looked nice. Something else next month. What are your kids' favorite dress up centers/pieces?
Maggie 11:03 AM 09-02-2014
I normally go shopping the day after Halloween when everything's marked down and pick up a few costumes and accessories.
NeedaVaca 11:05 AM 09-02-2014
Originally Posted by Maggie:
I normally go shopping the day after Halloween when everything's marked down and pick up a few costumes and accessories.
This is what I do too! The week after Halloween is the best time! I also buy craft items and decorations that week.
Shell 11:06 AM 09-02-2014
I got a huge lot of old Halloween costumes from a family I used to babysit for. The kids are in middle school now, but the mom kept a big box and then passed it on. It has really great handmade stuff- better than what the stores sell, IMO.
Leigh 11:12 AM 09-02-2014
I saw some Melissa & Doug outfits at Target on sale for $14.99 per set a few weeks ago. Check local facebook garage sale sites, too-I see lots of flower girl dresses that would be fun for little girls and sell cheap. Agree with after Halloween, too-tons of deals to be had then.
midaycare 11:36 AM 09-02-2014
On I never would have thought of that! Now I'm excited for Nov 1st!
melilley 11:39 AM 09-02-2014

sahm1225 11:49 AM 09-02-2014
Originally Posted by midaycare:
Right??? When my kids dress up now they end up with a fireman's hat, a lizard mask, and a tutu. They look a little disturbing.
Lol!!

You can get fireman hats & cheap badges at the dollar store. I always go the week after thanksgiving and buy some costumes but they are made so cheap that we end up tossing them about a month or two later.

I agree with blackcat about asking families if they have any they can donate. You could also ask your families if anyone has a sewing machine that can make you some cute capes.

You could also get some at garage sales. I have a big family and my sister in laws like expensive dress up clothes, so I get a ton handed down to us & then I buy at thrift stores too.
Blackcat31 11:54 AM 09-02-2014
What are your kids' favorite dress up centers/pieces?
Mine LOVE the tu-tus and the high heeled shoes. Especially the boys.

The girls all fight over the tiara's and the crowns. They also seem to gravitate toward the purses, aprons and the dresses.

My construction, fireman, police and doctor apparel are the least used.

NO clue why.

I also think it has a lot to do with each particular group. A couple years ago, I could not have enough animal costumes and nothing else was ever worn.

Now my dog, dinosaur, cat and monkey dress up stuff sits untouched.
spinnymarie 12:00 PM 09-02-2014
Yes! These are sometimes 'made to break' since most people only wear them once, but they are SO cheap that I don't mind.
melilley 12:00 PM 09-02-2014

The girls all fight over the tiara's and the crowns. They also seem to gravitate toward the purses, aprons and the dresses.

NO clue why.

I also think it has a lot to do with each particular group. A couple years ago, I could not have enough animal costumes and nothing else was ever worn.

My ds LOVES to wear my heels..lol
Annalee 12:02 PM 09-02-2014
What are your kids' favorite dress up centers/pieces?
my kids like the chef hats!
Meyou 12:35 PM 09-02-2014
I shop the dollar store for accessories before Halloween. They always have lots of hats, wings, wands and stuff like that. Then I shop the clearance sale at Target after Halloween. I got 13 costumes for $30 last year by lucking in at the right time! I also have good luck this time of year online on second hand sites. Everyone is posting Halloween costumes and you can usually grab them cheap.
MarinaVanessa 01:56 PM 09-02-2014

NO clue why.

This was my problem too until I started to do themes in my pretend center. I pulled out one type of costume at a time and then put out a lot of accessories to go with it and would put away all the rest. I would also arrange the area to look like the career office.

* Police: police officer costume, swat costume, trench coat (detective), small note pads (for writing tickets), FBI costume, magnifying glass, badges, white paper/pencils for fingerprint taking, walkie talkies, sun glasses, hand cuffs etc.

* Firefighter: firefighter costume, play fire extinguisher, play hose, play fire made of toilet paper tubes and tissue paper, etc etc

This is the ONLY way that I could get the kids to play with the career costumes.
midaycare 03:17 PM 09-02-2014
Originally Posted by MV:
This was my problem too until I started to do themes in my pretend center. I pulled out one type of costume at a time and then put out a lot of accessories to go with it and would put away all the rest. I would also arrange the area to look like the career office.

* Police: police officer costume, swat costume, trench coat (detective), small note pads (for writing tickets), FBI costume, magnifying glass, badges, white paper/pencils for fingerprint taking, walkie talkies, sun glasses, hand cuffs etc.

* Firefighter: firefighter costume, play fire extinguisher, play hose, play fire made of toilet paper tubes and tissue paper, etc etc

This is the ONLY way that I could get the kids to play with the career costumes.
This is what I'm hoping to do.
e.j. 03:22 PM 09-02-2014
I don't have anyone I can get hand me downs from, and the second hand stores around here have been a bust.

I'm looking for the doctor, fireman, princess type stuff. It is super expensive whenever I see it. If I do find cheap things, it is made to break within 24 hours. I have had a little bit of luck at the dollar store, but I have bought their supply out.

Any ideas?

TIA!
I've been lucky to have dc parents give me fireman dress-ups. Could you maybe buy scrubs from Walmart to be used for dr/nurse costumes? Just buy the smallest woman's size you can find. For princess dresses, I usually wait until after Christmas and Easter when the holiday dresses go on sale. If you buy a size 7 girl's dress, it usually fits like a gown on a 3-4 year old. I've been able to buy some really pretty "princess gowns" for very little money and the ones I bought have lasted for years.
SignMeUp 04:29 PM 09-02-2014
Most of mine are either my old clothes
Or I make them: tutus are easy to make with an elastic waistband and layers of netting - a simple casing for the elastic to run through.
Vests serve a variety of interests: wedding-wear, servers at the Italian restaurant
Chef hats and aprons are easy too. Chef hat = circle gathered around the edges, sewed to a rectangle that fits around the head, with velcro to adjust size.
Capes = rectangled hemmed on three sides, gathered on top. Top edge sewn to a folded edging with velcro to fasten.
Firefighters = plastic hats + pieces of an old hose and a little imagination.
I also like open-ended dress-up, like chiffon scarves, bandanas of varying colors, silky scarves.
Also buy old prom dresses at Goodwill, etc. Instant mermaid
My old hats, small purses, some shirts also go into dress-up.
Scrubs are easy to make too, and so are kid-sized and doll-sized hospital gowns. Super easy My kids also like my velcro armbands with red crosses sewed on them You know, like they wear in hospitals ... ? (No, they don't. But they like them.)
Oh, and if you have had a child with hospital experience, who needs to do a bit of their own play therapy: The top end of an old sock, put around the wrist, will hold the outer section of a medicine syringe attached to aquarium tubing, to make an i.v.
NightOwl 04:51 PM 09-02-2014
Nov. 1st is my day to shop too!
midaycare 05:23 PM 09-02-2014
Originally Posted by SignMeUp:
Most of mine are either my old clothes
Or I make them: tutus are easy to make with an elastic waistband and layers of netting - a simple casing for the elastic to run through.
Vests serve a variety of interests: wedding-wear, servers at the Italian restaurant
Chef hats and aprons are easy too. Chef hat = circle gathered around the edges, sewed to a rectangle that fits around the head, with velcro to adjust size.
Capes = rectangled hemmed on three sides, gathered on top. Top edge sewn to a folded edging with velcro to fasten.
Firefighters = plastic hats + pieces of an old hose and a little imagination.
I also like open-ended dress-up, like chiffon scarves, bandanas of varying colors, silky scarves.
Also buy old prom dresses at Goodwill, etc. Instant mermaid
My old hats, small purses, some shirts also go into dress-up.
Scrubs are easy to make too, and so are kid-sized and doll-sized hospital gowns. Super easy My kids also like my velcro armbands with red crosses sewed on them You know, like they wear in hospitals ... ? (No, they don't. But they like them.)
Oh, and if you have had a child with hospital experience, who needs to do a bit of their own play therapy: The top end of an old sock, put around the wrist, will hold the outer section of a medicine syringe attached to aquarium tubing, to make an i.v.
You are way too creative for my skill set But I live your ideas!
SignMeUp 06:01 PM 09-02-2014
You are way too creative for my skill set But I live your ideas!
Aw, if you have sewed a seam, you can do any of those. None have any fitted shape, so perfection is not necessary I haven't sewed anything 'real' since junior high
Josiegirl 03:25 AM 09-03-2014
I've been lucky enough to have 2 older dcgs go through dance classes so they donated lots of princess dresses and tutus. Another dcm has bought beautiful plush Halloween costumes for her 2 dds and donated those. I had to laugh...1 of my 3 yo dcgs wanted to borrow a plush duck costume so she wore it home. She looked so cute walking down the street to the car. Another time she borrowed a chef's costume.
I'm always scouting out yard sales for bits and pieces that would work as dress-up. This past summer a local dc was closing and she had a whole tub of dress-up for $5.00. Lots of cute purses, beautiful butterfly wings, all kinds of stuff. I end up rotating all the dress up because I've got this nice little toddler dress up station with hooks and plexiglass mirror. But no one likes to hang their stuff back up so I only keep a few things out.
I've got mainly girly stuff because all my dcks are girls. Except for a 6 yo dcb I had this summer and he was perfectly fine with wearing a Hannah Montana top with sparkly silver pants. He didn't even give the unisex type stuff a 2nd glance.
Unregistered 04:51 AM 09-03-2014
Big lots. It's mostly girl stuff it cheap and has lasted for me. Skirts, dresses etc.
AmyKidsCo 09:04 AM 09-03-2014
Mine are old clothes that I cut down and took in to fit. Their favorites are half slips I cut up the seam then took in at the waist. They use them as skirts, dresses, capes, long hair, blankets, etc.
Meeko 03:56 PM 09-03-2014
Yard sales!
Unregistered 05:04 AM 09-08-2014
Gymboree has 40% off their Halloween costumes and if you are a rewards member, there is a 20% off coupon. I bought boy and girl superhero capes, a dragon cape and a pirate cape for $12 each! I donated it to my daughter's orek that had old ratty dress up clothes. In my daycare, they seem to favor outfits that they can easily pull on and off.
Tags:clothes, thrift store
Reply Up