Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>If One More Person Calls Me A BABYSITTER...
pixsydust 11:13 AM 10-11-2011
I'm going to freak out on them!!! I am so sick of people referring to me as a babysitter. If I were just a babysitter your child would not be counting to 10, or recognizing colors, shapes, etc. I don't know what it is with people/parents thinking daycare is just babysitting, but I'm really tired of it.
MarinaVanessa 11:16 AM 10-11-2011
I don't kmow why but it bothers me too lol. Although it doesn't bother me to the point of irritation, just to the point where I smile and roll my eyes a little. They always ask what's wrong and then I get the opportunity to explain a few things to them and then they understand lol. But yes, it bothers me.
B Lou 11:20 AM 10-11-2011
When people ask me how long I've been babysitting or if I have any opening for babysitting. I tell them I am not a babysitter. I am a professonal daycare provider. If they are looking for a babysitter I can give them my daughters number. She is great with kids and loves to be with them. As for myself I DO NOT BABYSIT. I work to hard and train to many hours to be considered a babysitter. I quit babysitter when I was a teenagers. And believe me that was a vry long time ago. lol.
themoorethemerrier 11:22 AM 10-11-2011
I'm not even licensed yet and I inwardly cringe at it. It makes me feel like a teenager again...
Solandia 11:28 AM 10-11-2011
I don't mind babysitter. My daycare parents love me, I love their kids...I am the sitter, and that is fine with me. They learn their letters, numbers, colors, etc...But mostly we learn compassion, taking turns, being helpful, and loving our Earth.

I call myself a daycare, but I have been getting away from that. Around here, parents think daycare=preschool these days. I AM NOT and NEVER will be like those preschools/daycares in my area. I do not sit kids down to memorize things to impressed their parents or force them to learn to write their name at 2.5yo.

My last parent who tried to manage my daycare into being a preschool was terminated. I am not putting Teach Your Baby to Read into my dvd player, and NO, you cannot bring your 18mo his flashcards that he "loves" to go through. Oh, and the "helpful" suggestions on worksheets, and activities to learn the ABCs are not going to be incorporated either.

I guess mom missed the child-led learning philosophy I incorporate. With lots of free play OUTSIDE, for all my super active, crazy boys. Amazingly enough, I only have had a few daycare kids (out of dozens) not be able to read before Kindie. Not a worksheet, or directed craft activity in sight.

Please, just let me be the 'babysitter'!
laundrymom 11:34 AM 10-11-2011
I am not a babysitter. I am a small business owner. I pay taxes, attend trainings and am a professional in my field. In my opinion baby sitters work for mall money. Childcare providers pay bills. It's my " job". Not something I do on a Friday night so my neighbors can go to dinner.

I respond to ' are you still babysitting?" with

I don't sit on them.

Yes I still own a childcare.
pixsydust 11:40 AM 10-11-2011
Originally Posted by Solandia:
I do not sit kids down to memorize things to impressed their parents or force them to learn to write their name at 2.5yo.
!
I don't run my daycare that way either, but I have spent way too much time and money into getting and staying licensed and keeping up with yearly training, rule changes, etc to be called a babysitter. This particular DCM ticked me off for a different reason so I was more irritated than normal when I was referred to as a babysitter. ( https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...108#post153108 ) Normally I just explain the reasons why I'm a daycare provider and not a babysitter.
Unregistered 11:40 AM 10-11-2011
It's annoying and, depending on who says it, insulting. I really hate it, too, but I keep reminding myself that it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. I remind myself that I chose to be a daycare provider and it's a decision that I'm glad that I made. There will be people who will make you feel like your job isn't a real job because you are doing it at home. There will be people who will just assume that your job is just making sure that kids are fed and are safe when the parents pick them up after work. Those people have no idea what goes on during the day and they can't be bothered to ask. To some people, being a daycare provider is a boring job or a meaningless job. Providers aren't always respected and what we do is often trivialized. I wish that I could tell you that it'll stop happening, but it won't. While it bothers me, I take comfort in knowing that what I do matters. Also, it doesn't hurt to make more money than some of the people who are disrespectful of my job!

Also, remember this. It's the most important part to remember. Children see their providers without the filters that other people, even their own parents, see them through. If your daycare kids are happy, healthy and learning, then it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. We are so much more than babysitters to the children that we care for!
nannyde 11:43 AM 10-11-2011
I'm a babysitter.

I think it's a great job.
PitterPatter 11:45 AM 10-11-2011
I have always disliked being called a babysitter as well. We have an education, we have training, we are a business, therefor I think we deserve a little more respect. I had a client that was uppity and liked throwing her title around, yet I was merely a babysitter. I corrected her and with an explanation, but she either didn't get it or just didn't care. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if I had more respect but when I am disrespected and sometimes even looked down upon then yes being called the babysitter really chaps my ass!
B Lou 11:53 AM 10-11-2011
After talking to a great friend I've come to relize I wish I was a babysitter. I mean really when is the last time a babysitter only got paid $3.00 an hour. When is the last time a babysitter had to take a parent to collection or court. When is the last time a babysitter got something in their house destroyed by a child. After reconsidering this I want to be a babysitter.
nannyde 11:59 AM 10-11-2011
I don't mind babysitter. My daycare parents love me, I love their kids...I am the sitter, and that is fine with me. They learn their letters, numbers, colors, etc...But mostly we learn compassion, taking turns, being helpful, and loving our Earth.

I call myself a daycare, but I have been getting away from that. Around here, parents think daycare=preschool these days. I AM NOT and NEVER will be like those preschools/daycares in my area. I do not sit kids down to memorize things to impressed their parents or force them to learn to write their name at 2.5yo.

My last parent who tried to manage my daycare into being a preschool was terminated. I am not putting Teach Your Baby to Read into my dvd player, and NO, you cannot bring your 18mo his flashcards that he "loves" to go through. Oh, and the "helpful" suggestions on worksheets, and activities to learn the ABCs are not going to be incorporated either.

I guess mom missed the child-led learning philosophy I incorporate. With lots of free play OUTSIDE, for all my super active, crazy boys. Amazingly enough, I only have had a few daycare kids (out of dozens) not be able to read before Kindie. Not a worksheet, or directed craft activity in sight.

Amen sistah

When I got my first "what curriculum do you have for my newborn" call I knew I was destined to be a babysitter for the rest of my natural born days.

I'll leave dat dare proffessional child care providing (teacher/school/yourbabycanread/flashcardin) to those who were actually EDUCATED to educate.
Blackcat31 12:17 PM 10-11-2011
Originally Posted by pixsydust:
I'm going to freak out on them!!! I am so sick of people referring to me as a babysitter. If I were just a babysitter your child would not be counting to 10, or recognizing colors, shapes, etc. I don't know what it is with people/parents thinking daycare is just babysitting, but I'm really tired of it.
People think daycare is babysitting because honesty that is why they are paying you....to watch their child while they are at work. The teaching part is just a perk for them.

Most daycare is just babysitting. Yes, we own a business and we are professional in our field but that doesn't change the fact that we are watching kids in our homes because parents are out working.

Most of us aren't watching kids in our homes just so we could teach them....if we were, there wouldn't be so many posts/vents on here about how we are frustrated because a parent is bringing their child to us when they weren't at work.

I've never heard a teacher complain that Timmy was brought to school today but his parents aren't at work.....

Babysitters might be teenagers working for mall money but daycare providers are the same thing just adults who work for bill money.

Before everyone gets all hot under the collar and starts ranting about how we are all teachers etc etc. My opinions are mine and many might disagree with me (as is your right) but unless there is a degree on your wall and possibly a student loan in your budget/finances, we are care providers. Professional adults who provide child care (i.e babysitting services) for parents while they go to work.

We may teach the kids a boat load of things while in our care (and that is awesome) but the parents didn't seek out our services to teach their child anything......they might have been swayed by the "perks" of what you teach when choosing you over the next provider, but when the day comes to a end, we are being paid to watch their kids.

Call me what you want, I don't really care. Just respect my policies and pay me on time.
FWIW~ I have the degree and the student loan, but am licensed as a family child care provider NOT as a preschool center. Yes, I choose to teach the kids but that isn't why my dck's are here everyday.
Country Kids 12:59 PM 10-11-2011
I do call myself a childcare provider. In some peoples eyes I maybe a babysitter but in my eyes I do much, much more than a babysitter.

I have to: Have cpr/first aid training
food handlers card
many hours of training a year
have my house inspected yearly by the STATE
Have to follow state guidelines
Have a Certificate of Registration hanging on my wall
Have permission slips for everything
Have childcare locks on most drawers and door handles in my home
Serve USDA food
background check for me and everyone over 18 in my home even if
they are not involved in the childcare
Work 11 hour day while the parents are at work
Have to be over the age of 18
I do it in my home
Have to have special insurance on my home and vehicle

Those are just a few things I can think of right off the top of my head

A babysitter: Maybe have training through the Red Cross
Hopefully be over the age of 12
Eat the parents food
Text or be on the computor
Work possibly 2-4 hours
Go to the parents home

I think I have the right to call myself more than a babysitter. Also, I don't take care of babies.

No one ever calls a Nanny a babysitter! I think when you have a nanny it gives you some sort of prestige or something.
Meeko 12:59 PM 10-11-2011

Where is the LOVE IT button?
Meeko 01:03 PM 10-11-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
People think daycare is babysitting because honesty that is why they are paying you....to watch their child while they are at work. The teaching part is just a perk for them.

Most daycare is just babysitting. Yes, we own a business and we are professional in our field but that doesn't change the fact that we are watching kids in our homes because parents are out working.

Most of us aren't watching kids in our homes just so we could teach them....if we were, there wouldn't be so many posts/vents on here about how we are frustrated because a parent is bringing their child to us when they weren't at work.

I've never heard a teacher complain that Timmy was brought to school today but his parents aren't at work.....

Babysitters might be teenagers working for mall money but daycare providers are the same thing just adults who work for bill money.

Before everyone gets all hot under the collar and starts ranting about how we are all teachers etc etc. My opinions are mine and many might disagree with me (as is your right) but unless there is a degree on your wall and possibly a student loan in your budget/finances, we are care providers. Professional adults who provide child care (i.e babysitting services) for parents while they go to work.

We may teach the kids a boat load of things while in our care (and that is awesome) but the parents didn't seek out our services to teach their child anything......they might have been swayed by the "perks" of what you teach when choosing you over the next provider, but when the day comes to a end, we are being paid to watch their kids.

Call me what you want, I don't really care. Just respect my policies and pay me on time.
FWIW~ I have the degree and the student loan, but am licensed as a family child care provider NOT as a preschool center. Yes, I choose to teach the kids but that isn't why my dck's are here everyday.
I really, really want a "LOVE IT" button........
Crystal 01:09 PM 10-11-2011
I'm an Early Care and Education Professional. I am a Director, running an Early Care and Education Program. I am a Teacher, teaching children through the Reggio Emilia Approach, which I have studied in depth.

I don't sit on babies

I don't take care of days

I provide early care and education to 14 children for up to 12 hours a day.

I have a degree and am working on a Master's Degree in Human Development, and have hundreds if not thousands of hours in training, BUT, I did not call myself a babysitter even before I had all of that. I was an Early Care and Education Professional from the beginning.
Unregistered 01:12 PM 10-11-2011
Some of you need a reality check. Daycare provider is a fancy name for babysitter. Parents pay us to watch their child. We sit with their child while they are not able to do so. Don't we have other better things to fuss over?
Michael 01:15 PM 10-11-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Some of you need a reality check. Daycare provider is a fancy name for babysitter. Parents pay us to watch their child. We sit with their child while they are not able to do so. Don't we have other better things to fuss over?
Sorry, but this is an ignorant statement. All states require a minimum age of 18 (adult) and most require a license or registration. Standards are also strict and insurance is also required. I don't know many 15 year old babysitters that fall into that name label.
sharlan 01:20 PM 10-11-2011
To me, it's all semantics.

I don't really care how they refer to me, as long as they treat me with respect and call me.
Crystal 01:23 PM 10-11-2011
bwaaahhaahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!

No. I don't have better things to fuss over. I don't fuss about my families (I love them all) I don't fuss about my children (I love them all) I don't fuss about much of anything really. I absolutely love my work and am very flexible with my families.

When you work diligently day and night to provide a high quality environment and early learning experiences for children, spend thousands upon thousands of dollars to equip that program, spend thousands of dollars and hours on your education and training, etc. you've earned the right to a little respect and a title. Just because someone pays me to care for their children does not give them the right to treat me like a teenager. I am an adult and I consider this a career. I have worked hard to provide an AWESOME program for my families and children. I go above and beyond what most providers do. So, yes, I prefer not to be called a babysitter.

Anyways, I don't really even want to fuss over being called a babysitter. I think once in my almost 15 years of working with children I was called that and it was by a Grandmother who happened to pick up one day. No sweat off my back. BUT, I completely understand how the providers who dislike it feel.

I also believe if we want parents to treat us with respect, then we need to show them that we are professionals. We are not going to be considered as such if we don't believe it ourselves.

To those who want to be called babysitters, well, more power to ya!
Crystal 01:24 PM 10-11-2011
Originally Posted by Michael:
Sorry, but this is an ignorant statement. All states require a minimum age of 18 (adult) and most require a license or registration. Standards are also strict and insurance is also required. I don't know many 15 year old babysitters that fall into that name label.
Thank you.
Country Kids 01:26 PM 10-11-2011
Thank you!!! Added insurance to my list.
Kaddidle Care 01:32 PM 10-11-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I'm a babysitter.

I think it's a great job.
hehe! I was a babysitter too - AND I taught ABC's and 123's. Colors, shapes.. eh - she was the daughter I never had and I treated her that way. She was much better behaved than my boys.

It kind of reminds me of

Secretary/Administrative Assistant
Stewardess/Flight Attendant
Cashier/Sales Associate

Don't let it rattle you. You all know you're worth millions in our eyes.
SuzanneL70 01:32 PM 10-11-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I do call myself a childcare provider. In some peoples eyes I maybe a babysitter but in my eyes I do much, much more than a babysitter.

I have to: Have cpr/first aid training
food handlers card
many hours of training a year
have my house inspected yearly by the STATE
Have to follow state guidelines
Have a Certificate of Registration hanging on my wall
Have permission slips for everything
Have childcare locks on most drawers and door handles in my home
Serve USDA food
background check for me and everyone over 18 in my home even if
they are not involved in the childcare
Work 11 hour day while the parents are at work
Have to be over the age of 18
I do it in my home

Those are just a few things I can think of right off the top of my head

A babysitter: Maybe have training through the Red Cross
Hopefully be over the age of 12
Eat the parents food
Text or be on the computor
Work possibly 2-4 hours
Go to the parents home

I think I have the right to call myself more than a babysitter. Also, I don't take care of babies.

No one ever calls a Nanny a babysitter! I think when you have a nanny it gives you some sort of prestige or something.
This is 100% EXACTLY how I feel about it!
However I don't think most parents are TRYING to be insulting when they say "babysitter"...they just don't understand the implications that word has to us, as Childcare professionals. It sounds undermining, like we're sitting on the couch eating bon bons and texting our friends while the kids are running amok, unattended. I bet its safe to say NONE of our dc parents think that is what we do even though they may use the word "babysitter". They just don't make the connection...or maybe I'm just wishful thinking... I don't know- I'd just like to think they respect us a little more than that.
AnythingsPossible 01:34 PM 10-11-2011
If we were babysitters, we would be paid more and it would be ok if we watched tv and talked on the phone while we were working. I would love to be paid what babysitters are paid around here!
Blackcat31 01:36 PM 10-11-2011
The thread about early drop offs wasn't interesting enough?

Discussing whether we are babysitters, caregivers and/or teachers sounds like a pretty good thing to fuss over to me.

Maybe it is posters like you that give "unregistered" folk the reputation they have?
Zoe 01:42 PM 10-11-2011
I will say that my daycare kids know what I am called. We were talking about what we wanted to be when we grow up and my DS and an angel SA that I take care of both said, "I want to be a childcare provider."

Made my day!
Unregistered 01:51 PM 10-11-2011
We all watch people's children while they are gone, whether we call ourselves a daycare provider or a babysitter. It's irrelevant whether you need license and insurance to watch a child or you watch a child without it. You're both doing the same job....babysitting.
Crystal 02:37 PM 10-11-2011
From the NAEYC:

Who Are Early Childhood Professionals?
Professionals in the field of early childhood education include individuals who
provide direct services to young children (from birth through age 8) and their
families, as well as those who administer the programs in which these individuals
work and those who provide professional development for these individuals.
Early childhood professionals who provide direct services to children and families
include:
• Teachers, teacher assistants, and caregivers in:
o Campus children’s centers in two- and four-year higher education
institutions
o Child care programs
o Head Start and Early Head Start programs
o Kindergarten and primary grade programs (1st – 3rd grade)
o Out-of-school-time programs
o Part-day preschool or nursery schools
o Prekindergarten programs in schools and community-based agencies
• Family child care providers
• Early intervention specialists and others who provide education and care for
children with disabilities and their families
• Home visitors in Head Start, Early Head Start, and other programs
• Child life specialists (in hospitals and other therapeutic settings)
• Nannies who provide care for young children in the children’s homes
Early childhood professionals who administer programs include:
• Program directors, education managers, curriculum specialists, and others
who manage programs or have oversight responsibilities for classrooms in
the programs noted above
• Principals in public, charter, and private schools that serve children from birth
through third grade and their families
• Public and private agencies that administer family child care networks
Professional development providers for these individuals include:
• Faculty in two- and four-year and graduate programs in institutions of higher
education
• Adult educators / trainers in public and private organizations
• Child care resource and referral (CCR&R) agency staff
• Head Start / Early Head Start training and technical assistance providers
• Program administrators who provide training and technical assistance to their
staff
In addition, other early childhood professionals provide monitoring and support
services to program administrators and direct service providers, such as state
and local agency licensors and other early childhood agency staff, early
childhood specialists in state (SEAs) and local education agencies (LEAs), U.S.
Administration for Children and Families and U.S. Department of Education
program specialists, and others.
nannyde 02:46 PM 10-11-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
From the NAEYC:

Who Are Early Childhood Professionals?
Professionals in the field of early childhood education include individuals who
provide direct services to young children (from birth through age 8) and their
families, as well as those who administer the programs in which these individuals
work and those who provide professional development for these individuals.
Early childhood professionals who provide direct services to children and families
include:
• Teachers, teacher assistants, and caregivers in:
o Campus children’s centers in two- and four-year higher education
institutions
o Child care programs
o Head Start and Early Head Start programs
o Kindergarten and primary grade programs (1st – 3rd grade)
o Out-of-school-time programs
o Part-day preschool or nursery schools
o Prekindergarten programs in schools and community-based agencies
• Family child care providers
• Early intervention specialists and others who provide education and care for
children with disabilities and their families
• Home visitors in Head Start, Early Head Start, and other programs
• Child life specialists (in hospitals and other therapeutic settings)
• Nannies who provide care for young children in the children’s homes
Early childhood professionals who administer programs include:
• Program directors, education managers, curriculum specialists, and others
who manage programs or have oversight responsibilities for classrooms in
the programs noted above
• Principals in public, charter, and private schools that serve children from birth
through third grade and their families
• Public and private agencies that administer family child care networks
Professional development providers for these individuals include:
• Faculty in two- and four-year and graduate programs in institutions of higher
education
• Adult educators / trainers in public and private organizations
• Child care resource and referral (CCR&R) agency staff
• Head Start / Early Head Start training and technical assistance providers
• Program administrators who provide training and technical assistance to their
staff
In addition, other early childhood professionals provide monitoring and support
services to program administrators and direct service providers, such as state
and local agency licensors and other early childhood agency staff, early
childhood specialists in state (SEAs) and local education agencies (LEAs), U.S.
Administration for Children and Families and U.S. Department of Education
program specialists, and others.
Professionals in the field of early childhood education

That's the money shot.

This is why I'm a babysitter.

There's a BIG difference between what you do and what I do. You have a right to call yourself an Early Childhood Professional. I do not.
Crystal 02:49 PM 10-11-2011
Ah, Nan, wether you admit it or not, you are educating children everyday. I think real-life experiences and play-based learning are the best ways to teach, and you do it every day. But, if you feel better being called a babysitter, then you go girl
nannyde 02:55 PM 10-11-2011
Ah, Nan, wether you admit it or not, you are educating children everyday. I think real-life experiences and play-based learning are the best ways to teach, and you do it every day. But, if you feel better being called a babysitter, then you go girl
There's a big difference about what you do and what I do though and I think it's an important distinction.

You get paid to be an educator and prolly got the debt to prove it considering how expensive it is to educate yourself in the teaching field.

I have ZERO education in education. I reject all of it when I am forced into taking it. I've never wanted to be a teacher. it's too hard for me. I'll stick to babysitting... cuz it's what I do do well.
pixsydust 04:07 PM 10-11-2011
Thank you, Michael.

To the "unregistered" poster: if you do not like the topic of a thread on a forum you always have the option of ignoring it and not reading it. No one made you click on the link and read what was posted. People use the forum as a way to vent when they are frustrated and I simply did that.

@laundrymom, I'm stealing your line about not sitting on them. I love it.
Lucy 04:26 PM 10-11-2011
Originally Posted by B Lou:
When people ask me how long I've been babysitting or if I have any opening for babysitting. I tell them I am not a babysitter. I am a professonal daycare provider.

And they then roll their eyes and think ... "whatever..."

It's just a word to them. They don't understand because they haven't been doing it for years like we have. I don't mean this as any offense to you at all. I'm just saying that to "others", it's just words. They don't care what our title is, and I really don't think it reflects how they respect us. Just my opinion. Hope you don't take it personally.

It's kind of like "sanitation engineer" instead of trash man. Same difference to us. We don't think of them any better if they have a fancier sounding name. Ya know??
emmajo 06:40 PM 10-11-2011
Nannyde - you DO "provide direct services to young children" so I still can't think of you as a babysitter, even though that's what you prefer. Sorry.
Also - there is no real comparison between babysitter/day care provider and trash man/sanitation engineer. With the latter, it really is only semantics, no real difference in job description. I was a babysitter as a teen and I grew up to become a professional day care provider - after education, trainings, registration process, inspections, insurance policies in place, etc. etc. I provide care all day long. Care which includes so much more than what I gave and was paid for as a babysitter. Oh - and when I fill out my taxes I enter code #624410 "Child day care services," not babysitter!
kimsdaycare 08:05 PM 10-11-2011
Once upon I time I cared. During that time in my life when I gave up a career outside of the home with business cards and a desk and the need to keep my resume looking like there wasn't a big old gap in "titles". Not to mention those silly little questionnaires you fill out about what grand occupation you now have when class reunions come around. I could have started this thread myself. I wanted the title. After all, this IS my career. It made a difference to me to be called something different than what the teen down the street is called. After all, I'm not a student looking to make some money when I'm not in school studying for the "real" job.

Somehow the title validated the work kwim?

Now? I could care less is they call me the sitter, the daycare provider, whatever term means to them that I am the keeper of their children while they are at work. Heck, I even refer to myself as the sitter a lot of the time these days lol.

I enjoy my job so much more not worrying constantly about what it should be labeled as.

I can write down whatever title I want on that resume should it come up anyway
Meyou 05:03 AM 10-12-2011
I don't mind being called the dck's babysitter. The parents refer to my home as their home daycare but me as their babysitter because essentially that's what I do. I feed them, love them, kiss their boo boo's, put them down for naps, buy fun toys, read them stories and take them to the park. I don't try to pretend to be a teacher because in reality by trade and degree I'm an accountant.

As long as the parents respect my rules and pay me on time I'm good. The KIDS know I'm the best thing since sliced bread and that's what matters most to me.
hoopinglady 05:41 AM 10-12-2011
with this in the past as well. I'm more with the camp of "whatever".

However...I think it is a good idea to find some consistency in our field and to bring a level of professionalism to it. If we change the way we view and even label ourselves maybe society would begin to see a bit more value in what we do. (wishful thinking....)

I am not formally educated though I do take my profession very seriously. I have self studied and read a lot. I have a lot of knowledge and a lot of experience. CDA is required in my state within 3 years of becoming licensed. I think that is a good start.

I don't believe in traditional preschool anyway so that's sort of irrelevant to me. I think family childcare with mixed ages in an exciting, well planned play based environment is optimal for young children. I suppose that's where the teacher thing gets a little sketchy because children at this age are not being "taught" per se.

I really don't think caring (done well) and teaching are at all different in the early years.

Being called a babysitter always irks me but I would agree that most parents don't mean to be disrespectful. I call myself a "daycare lady" anyway, so that's not much different. My official title is "daycare lady extraordinaire"
cheerfuldom 06:11 AM 10-12-2011
I dont care either. Like another poster said, daycare has become pre-preschool or preschool, neither of which I offer. If it makes more sense for my families to call me a babysitter, thats better to me than being expected to teach a baby to read. I AM educated (and furthering my education right now) and will eventually be in an education field but i have no desire to force curriculum on young ones. I don't believe it is appropriate at all. The amount of standardized testing pressures, excessive homework, etc etc that kids get these days is alarming and USA is STILL behind in education globally. Wonder why people are not getting the clue. "Educating" one year olds is not the solution. Anyone remember the thread about preschoolers now getting homework?
wdmmom 06:23 AM 10-12-2011
I'm a glorified babysitter.

Difference is: I have experience and have taken training and don't get paid the convenience fee a regular babysitter does. I feed the children well and don't let them graze on popcorn and chips. I have a daily routine, I don't let kids take charge, and I do it from my house rather than going to their house.
Cat Herder 07:04 AM 10-12-2011
I personally prefer "Provider" since I am a Healthcare Provider first, THEN a Childcare Provider. Luckily all my clients just call me by my NAME. I have even heard "Super Woman" once or twice.

I care for sick babies, then keep them strong, kind and smart until they go off to pre-school. THAT is my goal and a void that was in need of filling in my community.

I have taken (and taught) an absurd amount of training hours and do a infant/toddler curriculum, but don't feel "Teacher" is appropriate.

My Sisters, both with Master's Degrees saying so, are Teachers.

In the end, I really don't care what my clients call me as long as they are good to their kids, pay on time, and treat me with respect.

Now, I am thinking of Nan's "Not the Mamma" video....
nannyde 07:07 AM 10-12-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:

Difference is: I have experience and have taken training and don't get paid the convenience fee a regular babysitter does. I feed the children well and don't let them graze on popcorn and chips. I have a daily routine, I don't let kids take charge, and I do it from my house rather than going to their house.
I want to apply for the "glorified" babysistter position. I'm just a plain ole babysitter and I would really like to add "glorified" to my creds.
dave4him 07:07 AM 10-12-2011
I know the feeling! Ive been stay at home dad for a year now and i still get that, so babysitting for the day are ya! HA you have no idea
Unregistered 07:25 AM 10-12-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:

THIS...is exactly what I was thinking. I'm a glorified babysitter also. lol
morgan24 07:58 AM 10-12-2011
There's a big difference about what you do and what I do though and I think it's an important distinction.

You get paid to be an educator and prolly got the debt to prove it considering how expensive it is to educate yourself in the teaching field.

I have ZERO education in education. I reject all of it when I am forced into taking it. I've never wanted to be a teacher. it's too hard for me. I'll stick to babysitting... cuz it's what I do do well.
Nan, do you have to take a certain amount of training each year in your state? I feel the same way you do, I'm a babysitter, I have zero education and do not want it. I'm forced in to taking 10 hours of training to keep my license. You have to be licensed in MI. I hate wasting my time on some of the crap that they offer for training.
Meyou 08:05 AM 10-12-2011
I want to apply for the "glorified" babysistter position. I'm just a plain ole babysitter and I would really like to add "glorified" to my creds.
Glorified sounds so sparkly! I want some glitter!
DCMom 09:15 AM 10-12-2011
Also, remember this. It's the most important part to remember. Children see their providers without the filters that other people, even their own parents, see them through. If your daycare kids are happy, healthy and learning, then it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. We are so much more than babysitters to the children that we care for!
This is my take on the whole thing. The bottom line is I am helping to raise happy, healthy, respectful, little humans who are fully prepared to begin their academic career when they leave me.

This is more than a job to me, no matter what it is called.
Unregistered 03:30 PM 01-20-2012
Around here, parents think daycare=preschool these days. I AM NOT and NEVER will be like those preschools/daycares in my area. I do not sit kids down to memorize things to impressed their parents or force them to learn to write their name at 2.5yo.

I understand there may be daycares out there that do this but I work in a daycare for the last 11 years. We do not make them memorize things or write their names. We learn through play and just incorporate the academics into it. We don't sit there and make them write their names 20 times on paper, we ask them to try to write their names on their art work while giving them the essentials to do that. They write a line on their paper and say they are done, we praise them for their effort. We play with blocks and cars while learning about technology through ramps. I am sure you already know this but I had to say my sense about day cares. We are not glorified babysitters. We are educators.
sariejohnston 08:16 PM 01-30-2012
i know the feeling.. i call my self a teacher because that's what i do i teach them.. sure i watch kids until their parents are able too but for the most part i teach them! That's what God called me to do and that's what i am doing!
PitterPatter 08:37 PM 01-30-2012
I would never call myself a teacher unless I had the college ed that made me a teacher. I don't like being called "the babysitter" either. I am a child care provider, I provide care to children.

I cook but I'm not a chef. I teach them but I'm not a teacher. etc.

Kudos to those of you who do have the education tho!
dave4him 08:56 PM 01-30-2012
Reminds me of the first few months i got that comment often, daddysitting, or daddy duty, like i didnt bring them into the word why wouldnt i be taking care of them.... now people think its pretty cool i run a small daycare cause i simply want to be watching out for my own kids. Its a great idea... probably only going to last till they are ready for Kindergarden but still good
Beach Baby 09:41 PM 01-30-2012
If a person has a Bachelor's degree in Early Childhood Education, but were never certified to teach, would they still be considered a teacher? If they had that degree and had a home day care, would they be a teacher? Or are they only a teacher if they are paid to teach in a school/daycare, where they are given the title of "teacher?" Just wondering as I will be in this situation in a few months and not sure what to think of myself! My daycare isn't open yet, but once it is, I imagine that when I am asked what I do for a living, I will say that I have a daycare. Even though I will have my degree, I still don't consider myself a teacher enough to say that I am one. I DO teach, but no one has ever given me the title of teacher.
Sunchimes 05:14 AM 01-31-2012
For me, it isn't about the word, it's about the tone of their voice. On the rare occasions that they answer their phones to say, "I'm at the sitter's, I'll call you back", it is almost like hearing 2 different words. The inflection of one is almost a sneer, while the other uses the same tone that they would use for "I'm at the doctor, dentist, stylist". One is respect, the other is "this person who works for me".

Whay I find is most annoying is when I run into people I haven't seen in awhile. They always ask if I'm still (the business I had for 17 years). I say no, that I have a home day care now. gasp---"You're babysitting?" I use to be embarrassed, and in fact, I didn't even tell my kids what I was doing for ages and ages. We were suppose to be retired. I don't feel that way anymore, and now, I'm embarrassed that I was embarrassed.

As for teaching, I am a teacher by trade, have the degree and everything. I don't call myself pre-school or make any promises about what I'm going to do. We play and and sing and dance and have fun. However, the teacher part runs deep, and I don't seem able to avoid saying (even when they were infants), "See the red ball" and "bring me the yellow blocks". I did the same thing with my grandkids, it's just natural. And guess what, 2 out of my three 17 month olds know which blocks are the yellow blocks. Do I care that the 3rd one doesn't? Nope, it isn't her job to know yellow yet. When it is time for her to know yellow or her name or something else, she will know it.

Call me your babysitter if you want, just don't curl your lip and sneer when you say it.
MarinaVanessa 09:14 AM 01-31-2012
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
For me, it isn't about the word, it's about the tone of their voice.
It's all about the word to me . I'm not a babysitter. I don't go to your house for a couple of hours while you go out to dinner and a movie, I don't sit on babies either. The moment that you call what I do babysitting is the moment that I call yout Maintenence job a Janitor, your Administrative job a Secretary, your Chef job a cook, your Contractor job a Handyman etc.
Blackcat31 09:22 AM 01-31-2012
Sheesh, I wish I were a babysitter. I paid my sitters 3x what I earn per hour now and I supplied everything....food, entertainment, even the place to make the mess, not to mention most babysitters watch TV, surf the web, talk on the phone and even bring a friend with and still get paid without catching grief from anyone about it!!
Ariana 10:07 AM 01-31-2012
Originally Posted by MamaNik:
If a person has a Bachelor's degree in Early Childhood Education, but were never certified to teach, would they still be considered a teacher? If they had that degree and had a home day care, would they be a teacher? Or are they only a teacher if they are paid to teach in a school/daycare, where they are given the title of "teacher?" Just wondering as I will be in this situation in a few months and not sure what to think of myself! My daycare isn't open yet, but once it is, I imagine that when I am asked what I do for a living, I will say that I have a daycare. Even though I will have my degree, I still don't consider myself a teacher enough to say that I am one. I DO teach, but no one has ever given me the title of teacher.
I have my ECE degree but consider myself a childcare provider. When I worked outside the home in a centre my title was teacher. I think running your own business trumps the teacher bit. My job is to "provide childcare" not just "teach". At the centre it was all I was responsible for. I didn't cook, clean, play bills etc. Now I do all that so my new title is Childcare Provider.
Beach Baby 08:25 PM 01-31-2012
Ariana, you are SO right. Thanks for putting it that way...made me feel all confident and proud.
wash 11:24 AM 02-01-2012
"You're a babysitter. Be honest. What do you make?"
She who had a reputation for honesty and frankness replied
"If you really want to know what I make,I will tell you.

I make kids play harder than they ever thought they could.
I make a completed art project feel like winning the Congressional Medal of Honor.
I make kids share, speak kindly and be accountable for their actions."

"You want to know what I make?
I make kids wonder.
I make them question.
I make them try.
I make them apologize and mean it.
I make them write.
I make them read, read, read.
I make them understand that if you use your brains,
and follow your heart,
you can accomplish anything.
I make them know they are important and loved.
I make them know they are special.
I make them know if someone ever
tries to judge them by what they make,
they must pay no attention because
that person just didn't learn."

She paused and then continued.
"You really want to know what I make?"
"I MAKE A DIFFERENCE."
"What do you make?"

this thread made me think of this
I can not remeber where i got this from and there might be more to the beginning of the story but this is what I printed to put on my DAYCARE wall!
Beach Baby 12:01 PM 02-01-2012
LOVE that! I will be printing and hanging it up as well! What a great reminder of all the effort we put into these children!
Sunchimes 01:30 PM 02-01-2012
Here is a link to the full poem. Her links aren't working, so you just need to scroll down the page until you find" What do Day care providers make?" Lots of other cool poems on the page too. http://www.gigglesandwigglescc.com/poems.html#19
BigMama 10:40 AM 02-03-2012
Amen sistah

When I got my first "what curriculum do you have for my newborn" call I knew I was destined to be a babysitter for the rest of my natural born days.

I'll leave dat dare proffessional child care providing (teacher/school/yourbabycanread/flashcardin) to those who were actually EDUCATED to educate.

I think what it all boils down to is professionalism - something the field of early childhood is sorely lacking. When one refers to someone as a baby-sitter he or she is saying that this person is a non-professional. Licensing, state-mandated trainings, rules and regulations, etc. are in place to require a minimum level of professionalism among early childhood child care providers. Should people who care for young people have more training, education, and experience than the minimum requirements? In my opinion yes, but it is not required by the states and therefore there are vast disparities in the quality of care for young children.

Nannyde, for the record, a high quality early childhood program does not involve flashcards, Doman's Teach Your Baby to Read program, worksheets, canned curriculum, or attempts to teach young children by rote, memorization, and force. Perhaps your first comment was said in jest, but I don't think it was. I believe it was meant as a jab at people who consider themselves professionals in ECE. As for your comment on rejecting training in education, well it just made me sad. First because, for better or worse, you do teach children everyday. You teach them how to play with one another without adult facilitation, you teach them not to touch the babies that they go to child care with, you teach them how to stay together during a walk, you teach them that if they aren't cooperative during drop-off and pick-up times, their parent(s) will not be able to drop them off inside daycare, you teach them about good food, you train them not touch baby gates, you teach them that when they outgrow an afternoon nap they can no longer go to your daycare...and much much more. Young children learn just by observing us, so yes, you do teach.

Secondly, you are highly regarded by many people on this forum. I have also read that you serve as a consultant to child care programs in your area. I am troubled that someone who provides these services would declare that they reject education in the field. It is a proven fact that the quality of care provided in early childhood programs directly corresponds to the level of education and experience the provider has. Learning about child development, pedagogy, and new understandings about brain development could only enhance one's work with young children. It isn't about mimicking methods used for older children - it is about truly understanding infants, toddlers, and preschoolers and engaging in developmentally appropriate practices.

If child care is ever going to be seen as a professional field, we as child care providers must a. demand respect and b. BE PROFESSIONAL! We can't get the respect without doing our part.
Blackcat31 10:50 AM 02-03-2012
Ok, is someone paying people to come on here and dig up comments and posts that Nannyde has made???

Why is only SHE being targeted for what she says?

The big difference here is child care providers without an educations are not the same thing as educated early childhood teachers. Many are SAHM's who are simply providing a service to others while they saty home with their own child....that being their primary goal for being in child care.

Other providers have the knowledge, skills and even the education to teach the kids they care for. I do, but still do NOT say I am a teacher because my PRIMARY job is to provide care (NOT education in an academic sense) to the children I have in my program.

If parents were to hire me to educate their child, then I would call myself a teacher and NOT have half the issues that child care providers have when running a business.
cheeseheadmama 12:00 PM 02-03-2012
Sheesh, I wish I were a babysitter. I paid my sitters 3x what I earn per hour now and I supplied everything....food, entertainment, even the place to make the mess, not to mention most babysitters watch TV, surf the web, talk on the phone and even bring a friend with and still get paid without catching grief from anyone about it!!
That is exactly what I was going to say! I pay a babysitter for my kids a LOT more per hour than I earn.
Cat Herder 12:28 PM 02-03-2012
I think what we are seeing is more of a generational gap.

Childcare Providers and Early Childhood Educators are not the same thing.

LONGTIME Established Childcare Providers (Babysitters) should not be forced to become Early Childhood Educators if they don't want to.

Some should be allowed to finish their careers in peace without constant judgment from those who chose the Education path.

I understand that is what the next phase of this profession is becoming.... We are not there, yet.

I say let the parents choose which they prefer in the meantime.
Crystal 01:40 PM 02-03-2012
Originally Posted by BigMama:
I think what it all boils down to is professionalism - something the field of early childhood is sorely lacking. When one refers to someone as a baby-sitter he or she is saying that this person is a non-professional. Licensing, state-mandated trainings, rules and regulations, etc. are in place to require a minimum level of professionalism among early childhood child care providers. Should people who care for young people have more training, education, and experience than the minimum requirements? In my opinion yes, but it is not required by the states and therefore there are vast disparities in the quality of care for young children.

Nannyde, for the record, a high quality early childhood program does not involve flashcards, Doman's Teach Your Baby to Read program, worksheets, canned curriculum, or attempts to teach young children by rote, memorization, and force. Perhaps your first comment was said in jest, but I don't think it was. I believe it was meant as a jab at people who consider themselves professionals in ECE. As for your comment on rejecting training in education, well it just made me sad. First because, for better or worse, you do teach children everyday. You teach them how to play with one another without adult facilitation, you teach them not to touch the babies that they go to child care with, you teach them how to stay together during a walk, you teach them that if they aren't cooperative during drop-off and pick-up times, their parent(s) will not be able to drop them off inside daycare, you teach them about good food, you train them not touch baby gates, you teach them that when they outgrow an afternoon nap they can no longer go to your daycare...and much much more. Young children learn just by observing us, so yes, you do teach.

Secondly, you are highly regarded by many people on this forum. I have also read that you serve as a consultant to child care programs in your area. I am troubled that someone who provides these services would declare that they reject education in the field. It is a proven fact that the quality of care provided in early childhood programs directly corresponds to the level of education and experience the provider has. Learning about child development, pedagogy, and new understandings about brain development could only enhance one's work with young children. It isn't about mimicking methods used for older children - it is about truly understanding infants, toddlers, and preschoolers and engaging in developmentally appropriate practices.

If child care is ever going to be seen as a professional field, we as child care providers must a. demand respect and b. BE PROFESSIONAL! We can't get the respect without doing our part.
ITA. Good post
Crystal 01:41 PM 02-03-2012
Ok, is someone paying people to come on here and dig up comments and posts that Nannyde has made???

Why is only SHE being targeted for what she says?

The big difference here is child care providers without an educations are not the same thing as educated early childhood teachers. Many are SAHM's who are simply providing a service to others while they saty home with their own child....that being their primary goal for being in child care.

Other providers have the knowledge, skills and even the education to teach the kids they care for. I do, but still do NOT say I am a teacher because my PRIMARY job is to provide care (NOT education in an academic sense) to the children I have in my program.

If parents were to hire me to educate their child, then I would call myself a teacher and NOT have half the issues that child care providers have when running a business.

How is Nan being "targeted"?
Blackcat31 01:53 PM 02-03-2012

How is Nan being "targeted"?
In light of the recent drama we have going on here....it just seems a bit odd that Nannyde is off the forum (for the most part) for a while and suddenly old posts start popping up with people saying stuff that gets everyone going again. Just this week, three threads have been revived and the only person within that multi page thread that gets quoted are Nannyde's.

That seems a bit targeted to me.

You know me Crystal and what I believe in and although it isn't always the same as what you or Nannyde or others believe in, but I do see some odd cycles that happen here on this forum that always seem to be the targeting one person.

This thread died back in October until an unregistered poster bumped it back up...which is not a problem since I have respect and consideration for unregistered posters the same as I do for regulars, but it is just weird, crazy, odd or whatever word you want to use, that it is always the same old song and dance no matter how many people post in a thread. Nannnyde is the one who gets quoted and targeted?

It isn't always in a bad way but it ALWAYS seems to start something and frankly, after this week....I have had enough drama.

I might as well go back to watching Young and the Restless....

I am not sticking up for anyone, as I too have had my debates with Nannyde and others here about things, I was merely speaking out in reference to this week as a whole.
Country Kids 01:58 PM 02-03-2012
In light of the recent drama we have going on here....it just seems a bit odd that Nannyde is off the forum (for the most part) for a while and suddenly old posts start popping up with people saying stuff that gets everyone going again. Just this week, three threads have been revived and the only person within that multi page thread that gets quoted are Nannyde's.

You know me Crystal and what I believe in and although it isn't always the same as what you or Nannyde or others believe in, but I do see some odd cycles that happen here on this forum that always seem to be the targeting one person.

This thread died back in October until an unregistered poster bumped it back up...which is not a problem since I have respect and consideration for unregistered posters the same as I do for regulars, but it is just weird, crazy, odd or whatever word you want to use, that it is always the same old song and dance no matter how many people post in a thread. Nannnyde is the one who gets quoted and targeted?

It isn't always in a bad way but it ALWAYS seems to start something and frankly, after this week....I have had enough drama.

I am not sticking up for anyone, as I too have had my debates with Nannyde and others here about things, I was merely speaking out in reference to this week as a whole.
Actually when Nan wasn't posting for awhile there was no drama! I'm not saying she starts it but when she isn't on its very quiet on the forum.

In fact it was commented on the "Where's Nan" thread that it had been kinda boring because there were no debates going on.
Crystal 02:14 PM 02-03-2012

This thread was revived on the 20th of January, with absolutley no reference to anything Nan said until today, and even then it was a very "innocent" reference to Nan's post.

The other thread, Nan jumped into and lambasted the "unregistered" poster, after Nan having been inactive here for the most part lately.....which I feel was really unfair. She came in and said some pretty harsh things to the "unregistered" and REALLY got the drama going....so is everyone supposed to either agree with Nan or keep their mouth shut? Are we only supposed to have niceties to say to her, while she tells everyone how wrong they are?

I think I'll go back to non-active status here. I really enjoyed MY reprieve from this crap.
Crystal 02:15 PM 02-03-2012
Actually when Nan wasn't posting for awhile there was no drama! I'm not saying she starts it but when she isn't on its very quiet on the forum.

In fact it was commented on the "Where's Nan" thread that it had been kinda boring because there were no debates going on.
Yeah, this. Thanks.

See ya around.
Crystal 02:16 PM 02-03-2012
Oh, ftr, I have been "targeted" many times myself. It's not just Nan. There have been many disagreements betwen many different people on this forum. it's only when it happens to Nan that it's an issues.
Blackcat31 02:30 PM 02-03-2012
This thread was revived on the 20th of January, with absolutley no reference to anything Nan said until today, and even then it was a very "innocent" reference to Nan's post.

The other thread, Nan jumped into and lambasted the "unregistered" poster, after Nan having been inactive here for the most part lately.....which I feel was really unfair. She came in and said some pretty harsh things to the "unregistered" and REALLY got the drama going....so is everyone supposed to either agree with Nan or keep their mouth shut? Are we only supposed to have niceties to say to her, while she tells everyone how wrong they are?

I think I'll go back to non-active status here. I really enjoyed MY reprieve from this crap.
I never said she was being targeted harshly or in a bad light I just said she keeps being brought back up or quoted.

It's almost as if people aren't happy unless they can get her to "see" things their way. Why can't everyone just do things the way they do and accept that everyone does it different? Why does Nannyde (or anyone else) HAVE to see the light and agree with others?

This isn't an Early Childhood Educators or professional teachers only forum, it is a daycare forum. There are many people here who are just babysitters and happy being that. There are many members here who are teachers but provide child care, etc etc.....

I may have just "stepped in it" by making my original comment about targeting Nannyde, but my true motivation was with my feelings of frustration with the attitude of so many here trying to force others to be something they are not.

It was an emotional reaction and difficult to explain now in words.... I guess I learn just as much from "watching" the cycles of this forum as I do participating on it.

Yes, I agree, you have been a target too.....just not as much as Nannyde IMPO. But you usually take your ball and head home..... perhaps that is the difference between what happens when you are targeted and when she is.
nannyde 02:41 PM 02-03-2012
Originally Posted by BigMama:

Just one note about the "I'll leave dat dare proffessional child care providing (teacher/school/yourbabycanread/flashcardin) to those who were actually EDUCATED to educate." You did see where I included "teacher" and "school" in that phrase along with yourbabycanread and flash. I realize that educating children is more than rote learning. I take the "teacher" and "school" part seriously.

Your definition of teacher is extremely broad. With your kind of thinking it would mean that when a child sees the Golden Arches and knows there's nuggets inside that the Golden Arches is the teacher. The nurse who gives them a shot when they go in for their yearly check up is their teacher too. The waitress who brings them their chocolate milk is their teacher. The groomer who bathes their dog is their teacher. The cahsier at the Quickie mart takes their mommy's money so she is their teacher.

Just because the children learn about life under my roof it does not mean I'm their teacher. My home is not their school. Their parents are their teachers and their own home is their school.

I'm regarded on this board but it's NEVER because I'm an expert on educating kids. If you notice, no one ever asks ME about how to educate kids. I'm the last person on this board to ask about developmentally appropriate programs. I don't know a thing about it so I don't write about it or answer questions about it. You seem to know quite a bit. You would be a much better resource than I could ever be.

I'm a babysitter and I'm proud of it. I just do good care. Good food, good exercise, good friends, good toys, close proximal supervision, good discipline, and a whole lotta lovins. That's babysitting in my book.

Amazingly we turn out one great student after another. Whodathunk

I don't see the day coming any time soon when "educated" provider meets home child care as a standard. My State doesn't require an education for any level of child care. If you read the JoAnne's Fabric thread you will see some links to my states minimum standards. They only pay 2.20 something an hour for home providers so there isn't any money in there to educate kids. Honestly, you can't even get good care out of that kind of money. What's REALLY lacking in early childhood care is MONEY. Once the money comes for educating kids you will get educated providers. It will draw in educated people when the one doing the work gets the money for doing it. Until then... it's not going to happen. I don't reject education in the field. I reject being expected to educate children for free.

So my focus and expertise is on the care aspect of child care. That's all. When the day comes that there is money to draw educated people to educate kids into the profession then my expertise will no longer be in the demand you see on this board. Until then "care" based technique will be sought after. It's what most providers are paid for (at best).
Crystal 05:06 PM 02-03-2012
I never said she was being targeted harshly or in a bad light I just said she keeps being brought back up or quoted.

It's almost as if people aren't happy unless they can get her to "see" things their way. Why can't everyone just do things the way they do and accept that everyone does it different? Why does Nannyde (or anyone else) HAVE to see the light and agree with others?

This isn't an Early Childhood Educators or professional teachers only forum, it is a daycare forum. There are many people here who are just babysitters and happy being that. There are many members here who are teachers but provide child care, etc etc.....

I may have just "stepped in it" by making my original comment about targeting Nannyde, but my true motivation was with my feelings of frustration with the attitude of so many here trying to force others to be something they are not.

It was an emotional reaction and difficult to explain now in words.... I guess I learn just as much from "watching" the cycles of this forum as I do participating on it.

Yes, I agree, you have been a target too.....just not as much as Nannyde IMPO. But you usually take your ball and head home..... perhaps that is the difference between what happens when you are targeted and when she is.
First, let me say, I really think no one has tried to get Nan to see/do things their way, I think in this thread it has only been stated that even though she doesn't consider herself to be a "teacher" that in reality she is. She may not have the teaching credential, but I beleive that every single child care provider is "teaching" their children every day, even if the only "teaching" occurring is about life skills.

I don't think people sharing their thoughts, ideas, opinions is trying to force anyone to agree with them and do things their way.....we all share them and we all beleive in our own philosophies....there is nothing wrong with expressing them and offering different perspectives. I gleen from each person things that fit and work for me and discard others, just as I hope everyone does. None of us have all of the right answers, but I bet if we all took the bits and pieces we admire from one another we would have some pretty amazing programs.

Now, saying I "take my ball and head home" is a load of....well you know. I have never left the forum because I am being "targeted" EVER. I stick it out and fight back, you oughtta know that. I did take a break from the forum for awhile, but it had nothing to do with anyone here....it had to do with my life being jam packed with "events" and needing to focus on those things, just as you did a few months back. Now, today I feel like "taking my ball" but it has nothing to do with feeling targeted. It has to do with 1.) for some reason anytime something comes up about Nan everyone gets thier panties in a bunch, whihc gets really annoying, and 2. the month I took off from here was one of the most productive, peaceful months I have had in a long time. I should have just left well enough alone and stayed away, because frankly, I don't have time for the drama
Kim 05:19 PM 02-03-2012
I have no problem if some don't mind being called a babysitter. I am just one of those that doesn't like it. I consider myself a professional child care provider and I have worked hard to build my business. I have half of my home as designated space for the child care, am a former teacher, have a degree in ECED and the student loan payments each month to go along with it and offer a preschool learning program for ages 2-5. I have always wanted to be a teacher and I love that part of my job. Unless it's being said by an old school grandma, it irritates me to be referred to as a babysitter. It offends me more when it's said in a belittling tone. I had one family that constantly referred to me as little Johnny's sitter in a tone that insinuated that they employ me or something. We also had other issues with being respectful of my business and policies and it annoyed me to the point that I finally turned to the mom one day and half jokingly told her that if she wanted to continue referring to me as a babysitter then she would need to start paying me babysitter rates of $10 an hour and to please stop referring to me as a babysitter. I politely listed all the reasons why I am a professional child care provider (ECED degree, preschool learning program, licensed through my state, exceed the hours of state required trainings each year, credentialed through my state at the highest level, inspections-licensing and fire marshal, insurance- million dollar policy specific to my business, endless paperwork, food program, background checks for me and husband, blah blah blah).

I'd love to be just a babysitter making $8-$10 an hour and using their electricity and eating their food. Maybe then I could pay off those student loans faster.
Lucy 07:42 PM 02-03-2012
Amen. This.
Lucy 07:53 PM 02-03-2012
double post.
nannyde 05:39 AM 02-04-2012
Oh, ftr, I have been "targeted" many times myself. It's not just Nan. There have been many disagreements betwen many different people on this forum. it's only when it happens to Nan that it's an issues.
You have had people disagree with your posts in a current thread you are actively posting on but I don't think I've ever seen one of your old posts brought up months later and resurected. I've been on here nearly two years and I don't remember that happening at all. I could be wrong and just don't remember it.

I've had three just this week.
Blackcat31 09:02 AM 02-04-2012
First, let me say, I really think no one has tried to get Nan to see/do things their way, I think in this thread it has only been stated that even though she doesn't consider herself to be a "teacher" that in reality she is. She may not have the teaching credential, but I beleive that every single child care provider is "teaching" their children every day, even if the only "teaching" occurring is about life skills.

My reply wasn't about the topic of the thread. Many other posters said they weren't teachers either and had the same thoughts as Nan did. But ONLY she was quoted...THAT was my point.

I don't think people sharing their thoughts, ideas, opinions is trying to force anyone to agree with them and do things their way.....we all share them and we all beleive in our own philosophies....there is nothing wrong with expressing them and offering different perspectives. I gleen from each person things that fit and work for me and discard others, just as I hope everyone does. None of us have all of the right answers, but I bet if we all took the bits and pieces we admire from one another we would have some pretty amazing programs.
I agree 100% about taking bits and pieces and meshing them together to get a great program. Which is WHY I made mention of Nan being targeted. Why can't people just take what they like about her program and philosophies and leave the rest alone. It is like they WANT to argue with her. Which I find weird and more of an issue with that person than with Nan.

Now, saying I "take my ball and head home" is a load of....well you know. I have never left the forum because I am being "targeted" EVER. I stick it out and fight back, you oughtta know that. I did take a break from the forum for awhile, but it had nothing to do with anyone here....it had to do with my life being jam packed with "events" and needing to focus on those things, just as you did a few months back. Now, today I feel like "taking my ball" but it has nothing to do with feeling targeted. It has to do with 1.) for some reason anytime something comes up about Nan everyone gets thier panties in a bunch, whihc gets really annoying, and 2. the month I took off from here was one of the most productive, peaceful months I have had in a long time. I should have just left well enough alone and stayed away, because frankly, I don't have time for the drama
When I said you take your ball and go home, I didn't mean that rudely, I meant you choose to argue and stick up for yourself (as you should) and when you have had enough, you leave the thread (not the forum).
I know WHY you left the forum. I completely understand and respect that. Leaving the forum was not what I was referring to.

(I answered in bold above)

And yes, when Nan gets targeted, there are a lot of people who get their panties in a bunch. It is because she is a great poster and has some wonderful advice. Nan knows her stuff and it isn't fair that people want to single her out. Yes, other members are singled out but nowhere near the level Nan is. You can say that you too are targeted and I agree to a point...but again, no where near the level at which Nan is.

My feelings on how she is treated are based on the fact that it is just rude that people pick on one person in general. I think it is wrong that people only take bits and pieces and make assumptions. Meeko (I think) even said she viewed Nan as not so nice at first too until she read more and actually looked at the big picture and saw that there was good advice and info given before she learned to see Nan in a different light.

I respect you and what you do and I know you are also VERY good at what you do. But when you come on and make comments about Nan (good or bad) you have a certain group of followers just as she does and that creates drama just as much. Then you say "so is everyone supposed to either agree with Nan or keep their mouth shut? Are we only supposed to have niceties to say to her, while she tells everyone how wrong they are?" and in my opinion, yes. (In that one particular thread) In that particular thread she was speaking to the OP. There was soooooo much more going on with that OP than what was posted on line. The OP was contacted in private but SHE (the OP) choose to go online and vent in public rather than resolve anything in private so that everyone could view her as if she were a victim rather than someone who purposely (in my opinion) mis-led others here.

I do think people should be allowed to disagree with each other and I do it often. It is like my daycare kids. When I know two kids just don't get along well with each other, I rarely place them next to each other for naps or for lunch or whatever. I think you and Nan are like that. You just need to stop sitting by each other.

Sorry if any of this is offensive to you. NONE of it was/is meant to be. I am simply explaining my intent.
MMk9987 09:15 PM 02-04-2012
Hello been awhile for me Joyce a lot has been going on I will pm you but I can totally understand you about the babysitter thing I would hate to be called a babysitter when we are clearly day care teachers it is like we watch children from 6 30 am to 5 30pm every day then we get up to do this all over again the next day when a babysitter watches children for a few hours during the night and is unlicensed.
Lucy 10:45 PM 02-04-2012
"Hello been awhile for me Joyce a lot has been going on I will pm you but I can totally understand you about the babysitter thing I would hate to be called a babysitter when we are clearly day care teachers it is like we watch children from 6 30 am to 5 30pm every day then we get up to do this all over again the next day when a babysitter watches children for a few hours during the night and is unlicensed."

Hi. Sorry, but I'm not really sure why you mentioned me specifically. I'm confused.

And I was more on the side of not really caring what I'm called. It's all semantics to me. The parents don't say "babysitter" to insult us. Just like we don't mean any offense by saying "stewardess" instead of "flight attendant", "trashman" instead of "sanitation worker", or "secretary" instead of administrative assistant. Doesn't really matter to me as long as I am treated with respect.

So I'm not really sure what you were trying to say to me in your comment???
Unregistered 11:47 PM 05-28-2014
I've never left my 19 month old with a babysitter, she's never had a nanny, she doesn't go to daycare nor preschool. In other words, not all parents think of your career as a disregard. I see the separation in titles. But, I'm certain, these posts are a reminding reason why I'd rather teach my own child than to send her off to places where the daycare professionals are way too concerned about their titles. Children learn from experiences, expressions, from a dust particle to beaming stars, to sun that rises... they learn moment after moment, everything you say, you do, you feel, "from your worries, titles concerns, and over reacting emotions" as well. If you as a potential and/or exsisting care professional are this concerned by your title", enough to squabble/vent, etc., I'd rather be glad, I've reminded myself, that I'm my child's greatest teacher.

Best regards,
A mother
NightOwl 07:32 AM 05-29-2014
You are absolutely correct. I tell my parents all the time that they are their child's first teacher.

However, I do NOT say to them you are your child's after hours babysitter. That would be an insult to them, considering all the effort, time, and money they've put into an early childhood education, meeting state requirements, knowing the latest studies and current info on childcare issues..... Oh wait. They didn't do any of that.

I guess that makes them more of a babysitter than I am.
Chellieleanne 09:37 AM 05-29-2014
I AM NOT and NEVER will be like those preschools/daycares in my area.

This totally sounds like me! I say I am a childcare provider. I let the kids pretty much learn on their own with minimal guidance. I second the outside time. I love getting them to use those gross motor skills and burning energy. I read during the day, I have posters and interact"can you find the red car?" But I don't force them to learn anything they are not ready for. I get called babysitter by my ft dcb and that is fine with me. I am still encouraging dcb to learn how to get along with others, to control his own emotions, to play and enjoy life and add in teaching moments as they come up and as he is ready. Call me what ever you want but I know what I am and that is all I care about
Tags:babysitter vs provider, gen y, generation x, parents - don't appreciate
Reply Up