Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>OFFICIALLY Sent to Collections..!
kelliott 04:58 PM 05-06-2013
some of you may remember a post from earlier in the month about my son being transported to a baseball game without my consent...she was asking for the 4wk notice/payment(in the contract parents are supposed to give a 4 week notice for pulling their child from her care).. i did not give this notice because after she transported, i no longer felt he was safe with her.

she texted me today and let me know she had referred my file to collections..so, i just want some input on what other parents think..even daycare providers if they are going to keep the negativity out of the thread... i am looking for advice/input ONLY!..not whether i was wrong or right. Does anybody think, if i fight the collection, i will not have to pay it? -seeing as how she transported without my permission and i felt he wasn't safe??

it did say in her contract that 4weeks notice and payment for that 4 weeks is required..it also came with a permission slip for transportation which i did NOT okay... the permission slip was also a seperate paper from the contract. i called licensing and they said she did nothing wrong, but as far as the state goes(CA) i am %90 sure it is illegal to transport a minor without a parents consent.....??
sharlan 05:18 PM 05-06-2013
IMHO, at this point you need to contact an atty to see what your rights are.
NeedaVaca 06:01 PM 05-06-2013
You made a choice not to pay her without consulting an attorney like you were advised 13 days ago? I remember the entire thread and I'm sorry but I do not think you will win. If you don't win you will just add to your bill in legal fees...call an attorney like you were advised when you first posted.
Cradle2crayons 06:09 PM 05-06-2013
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
You made a choice not to pay her without consulting an attorney like you were advised 13 days ago? I remember the entire thread and I'm sorry but I do not think you will win. If you don't win you will just add to your bill in legal fees...call an attorney like you were advised when you first posted.
Not just legal fees but collection agency fees too!!!! Collection agencies in some states can charge huge fees whether they collect or not.
nannyde 06:43 PM 05-06-2013
You dropped your kid in the morning knowing she said you had to pick up before she left for the ballpark. You thought she wouldn't transport and she called your bluff. It's a fifty fifty risk. I would offer half and try to settle.
MyAngels 07:39 PM 05-06-2013
Contact an attorney. No advice you get here will be better than that.

If you end up in court and lose it could cost you hundreds of extra dollars over and above the 4 weeks tuition, plus interest. Not to mention the damage to your credit.

If it's picked up by a collection agency it could still cost you hundreds in fees, plus the constant collection calls and you could STILL end up in court with a judgment against you.

Again, contact an attorney.
craftymissbeth 07:43 PM 05-06-2013
I know that in my state, if an account is sent to collections you can no longer legally pay the original debtor. So now that she's sent it to collections you can no longer legally pay her.. you have to pay the collections agency. I guess just remember if you try to settle or anything.
momofboys 05:42 AM 05-07-2013
I believe you will lose - you signed a contract stating to give 4 weeks notice & did not. No matter what happened between you & the provider the contract is all that matters.
countrymom 06:09 AM 05-07-2013
ok, I read the other thread. I have 4 kids that are so involved in activities that its crazy here (esp. this week)

first, the provider gets a schedual in advance of all the games, I know this, doesn't matter what sport or activity you know where the games are. They should have given you a schedual so you can schedual your time (this may be in your favor now)

second, if I texted my parents at 8pm and asked them to pick up early i wouldn't have too many clients, and your right, about asking for early release, many jobs ask for 24 hours notice (another in your favor)

she transported without your consent, this voids the contract (your favor)

also, when you didn't come at 430pm didn't she call you, what was her plan of action, does it say in the contract what she would do if you didn't show up.

talk to a lawyer, you don't want your credit ruined. Also, I wonder if this has happened to others in her care too.

because my kids are involved all year round, I let the parents know. I let them know that sometimes they may have to pick up early, but I know in advance because they have scheduals so I let the parents know. It was wrong what the provider did. Also, if they have 4 people working then why didn't one of them stay till you got their or sent someone to get your child.
RosieMommy 07:20 AM 05-07-2013
Originally Posted by kelliott:
some of you may remember a post from earlier in the month about my son being transported to a baseball game without my consent...she was asking for the 4wk notice/payment(in the contract parents are supposed to give a 4 week notice for pulling their child from her care).. i did not give this notice because after she transported, i no longer felt he was safe with her.

she texted me today and let me know she had referred my file to collections..so, i just want some input on what other parents think..even daycare providers if they are going to keep the negativity out of the thread... i am looking for advice/input ONLY!..not whether i was wrong or right. Does anybody think, if i fight the collection, i will not have to pay it? -seeing as how she transported without my permission and i felt he wasn't safe??

it did say in her contract that 4weeks notice and payment for that 4 weeks is required..it also came with a permission slip for transportation which i did NOT okay... the permission slip was also a seperate paper from the contract. i called licensing and they said she did nothing wrong, but as far as the state goes(CA) i am %90 sure it is illegal to transport a minor without a parents consent.....??
You need to talk to an attorney. Even if what she did was illegal (and it sounds like you don't know, so you need to look into that as well), that doesn't necessarily mean that contract is null and void. The contract and transportation issue may be two totally separate issues legally. Frankly, I'm surprised that a LICENSED provider would transport a child without a parent's permission without knowing what the state's regulations said on the matter -- from what you've said, in your state she may not have needed the signed permission slip from you at all but that may have been included as an extra CYA for HER (which, if it was, is really smart). For future reference with your next provider, I'd make sure to read that contract and if you and the provider agree to make any modifications PUT IT IN WRITING signed by both of you.
Greenplasticwateringcans 07:29 AM 05-07-2013

Lawyer up asap and call the police/drivers branch to find out how she stood legally transporting. Above what she wanted to do it very well could have been illegal.
Heidi 07:34 AM 05-07-2013
also not debating who was right or wrong...

you should contact an attorney or legal aid in your area.
kelliott 08:13 AM 05-07-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:
ok, I read the other thread. I have 4 kids that are so involved in activities that its crazy here (esp. this week)

first, the provider gets a schedual in advance of all the games, I know this, doesn't matter what sport or activity you know where the games are. They should have given you a schedual so you can schedual your time (this may be in your favor now)

second, if I texted my parents at 8pm and asked them to pick up early i wouldn't have too many clients, and your right, about asking for early release, many jobs ask for 24 hours notice (another in your favor)

also, when you didn't come at 430pm didn't she call you, what was her plan of action, does it say in the contract what she would do if you didn't show up.

talk to a lawyer, you don't want your credit ruined. Also, I wonder if this has happened to others in her care too.

because my kids are involved all year round, I let the parents know. I let them know that sometimes they may have to pick up early, but I know in advance because they have scheduals so I let the parents know. It was wrong what the provider did. Also, if they have 4 people working then why didn't one of them stay till you got their or sent someone to get your child.
no phonecalls were made to me..or to try to get into contact with me. she has my work and some mergency contacts that i listed but did not CALL any of them.. her biggest attempt at getting a hold of me was a text message at 4pm stating that they were leaving and where i could pick him up-being that i was at work..i hadn't read the message until about 4:30 :/
kelliott 08:14 AM 05-07-2013

no phonecalls were made to me..or to try to get into contact with me. she has my work and some emergency contacts that i listed but did not CALL any of them.. her biggest attempt at getting a hold of me was a text message at 4pm stating that they were leaving and where i could pick him up-being that i was at work..i hadn't read the message until about 4:30 :/
Blackcat31 08:30 AM 05-07-2013
Since Tom Copeland is an attorney and he even replied that the provider broke the contract by transporting WITHOUT parental consent, I am still an odd duck because I believe you will NOT be responsible for the 4 weeks notice or payment for it.

NO parent should be forced to keep their child enrolled in a facility where they feel it is unsafe.

I also think you need to contact an attorney in YOUR state as Tom is probably most familiar with laws in MN and although he gave his two cents, it isn't a sure thing since different states have different laws.

For example in my state when someone turns you into collections you, as a debtor have the right to file a rebuttal and any time someone runs a credit check on you or tries to collect from you, your rebuttal as to why you don't feel the debt is legitimate is also made known.

Please call an attorney in your state. Most will consult with you for free and are usually happy to help.
Greenplasticwateringcans 08:55 AM 05-07-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Since Tom Copeland is an attorney and he even replied that the provider broke the contract by transporting WITHOUT parental consent, I am still an odd duck because I believe you will NOT be responsible for the 4 weeks notice or payment for it.

NO parent should be forced to keep their child enrolled in a facility where they feel it is unsafe.

I also think you need to contact an attorney in YOUR state as Tom is probably most familiar with laws in MN and although he gave his two cents, it isn't a sure thing since different states have different laws.

For example in my state when someone turns you into collections you, as a debtor have the right to file a rebuttal and any time someone runs a credit check on you or tries to collect from you, your rebuttal as to why you don't feel the debt is legitimate is also made known.

Please call an attorney in your state. Most will consult with you for free and are usually happy to help.
I'm with Blackcat

Quack

As a provider I am pretty appalled by your previous DCP.
Blackcat31 09:03 AM 05-07-2013
Originally Posted by Greenplasticwateringcans:
I'm with Blackcat

Quack

MarinaVanessa 09:43 AM 05-07-2013
I'm with Blackcat

Quack

Quack Quack.

Talk to an attorney, I think you have a fair chance.
crazydaycarelady 11:11 AM 05-07-2013
I have not had time to read all of the responses but I think you need to pay. You signed a contract concerning his care so you need to abide by it.

As a provider with male children I think you will understand how important it is to attend your childrens games when your own child is older. I find it ridiculous when someone trusts me with their child all day but not in the car. I used to take my dckids to my sons games and the parents would pick them up there. You either trust the provider all the time or you don't.
Blackcat31 11:26 AM 05-07-2013
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
I have not had time to read all of the responses but I think you need to pay. You signed a contract concerning his care so you need to abide by it.

As a provider with male children I think you will understand how important it is to attend your childrens games when your own child is older. I find it ridiculous when someone trusts me with their child all day but not in the car. I used to take my dckids to my sons games and the parents would pick them up there.
As a parent, I NEVER allowed my provider to transport my child. It wasn't the provider I didn't trust, it was the other drivers on the road.

As the parent of children who were in lots of sports and as a business owner, I am the one who needs to arrange my ability to be at my child's games around MY work schedule and not expect parents to work their schedules around my personal life.
MarinaVanessa 11:34 AM 05-07-2013
As a parent, I NEVER allowed my provider to transport my child. It wasn't the provider I didn't trust, it was the other drivers on the road.

As the parent of children who were in lots of sports and as a business owner, I am the one who needs to arrange my ability to be at my child's games around MY work schedule and not expect parents to work their schedules around my personal life.

crazydaycarelady 11:50 AM 05-07-2013
I never expected parents to arrange their work schedules based on MY needs. They just picked up at the ballpark - everyone's needs were met that way. I think a little more understanding needs to be granted to providers in this respect since our hours are so long, much longer than a normal working parent.

If the fear is the other drivers on the road then do you just not drive yourself? No matter WHO drives (the parents or provider) there will be other drivers so why is it more scary when a provider is driving versus the parent?

I have one parent who does not allow her son to ride with me or to be in photos. On field trips he stays back with the babies and always has hurt feelings. Also I always have to shoo him out of the photos I take of the kids.
Blackcat31 12:00 PM 05-07-2013
I never expected parents to arrange their work schedules based on MY needs. They just picked up at the ballpark - everyone's needs were met that way. I think a little more understanding needs to be granted to providers in this respect since our hours are so long, much longer than a normal working parent.

If the fear is the other drivers on the road then do you just not drive yourself? No matter WHO drives (the parents or provider) there will be other drivers so why is it more scary when a provider is driving versus the parent?

I have one parent who does not allow her son to ride with me or to be in photos. On field trips he stays back with the babies and always has hurt feelings. Also I always have to shoo him out of the photos I take of the kids.
No, I am not that fanatic.

It's just that IF something were to ever happen to MY child, I preferred it to be under MY watch and NOT someone elses.

What we do with our own children and the liability we assume for their safety is COMPLETELY different than the liability we assume for someone else's child's safety...kwim?

My personal perspective on this is that I ''get" that I work long hours doing what I do but that is MY choice and the fact that I do work those long hours shouldn't be placed onto the parents to have to make up for.
crazydaycarelady 12:06 PM 05-07-2013
I think for my dcparents they were glad I took the kids along. The other option would have been to close early, but this way everyone got what they needed.

If I had kids in dc I know I would try to be accommodating of my providers needs and those of her family. Nothing better for kids than a happy provider!
Blackcat31 12:09 PM 05-07-2013
I think for my dcparents they were glad I took the kids along. The other option would have been to close early, but this way everyone got what they needed.
Hey, if it works for you and your DC families then there is NOTHING wrong with that.

We all need to do what works best for us and for our clients and I certainly wouldn't have signed on a family that expected me to transport any more than I would have signed on with a provider who transported.

The #1 rule in interviewing....make sure the family is a good fit, not just a filler for the space.
BBDC 12:19 PM 05-07-2013
I think you should talk to an attorney if you dont want to pay. Truthfully I would never transport without permission. But would have termed you on the spot when you didnt come. (maybe even called social services on you if I couldnt get anyone else on your list) because I kind of feel like you were not planning on picking him up even though you knew she needed you too. And that would really make me "mad" as a provider.

I think you have three options:

1. talk to an attorney
2. pay the money
3. talk to the provider and try and settle it out of court
crazydaycarelady 12:25 PM 05-07-2013
I agree this provider and family were not a good fit from the get-go!
Childminder 12:30 PM 05-07-2013
It all comes down to breach of contract. Whomever breached it if is addressed in the contract will be responsible. Even if it is not specifically addressed but referred to in some way, ie; if DCP has in there that State rules must be followed and transporting with a permission slip is a State regulation, then the DCP screwed up.

She should have refused your child care in the first place if you were not willing to let her transport. I learned a long time ago that it is my business and that as a parent of a child in my care you must follow my rules and one of those is that you sign all permission slips. I might have an emergency arise (gas main ruptured in front of my home)and if for no other reason must have that paper. My business, my rules.

I'm pretty sure that because you were inconveniencing her by being so uncooperative by not trusting her to transport, the DCP decided to teach you a lesson and it has backfired. I'm certain that it pissed her off that you were accusing her of being a bad driver even though she would have had her own family in the car and would do nothing to jeopardize their safety.

As far as not trusting the other drivers on the road, if that is the case then you would never transport your child ANYWHERE and need to not let the child ever leave your home. No trips to the doctor, grocery, beach(that in itself is a huge liability), grandparents, school, scouts, etc...looks like you need to stay home! Never get on public transportation, bus, train, airplane, etc, they are ALL driven by someone else. And for GODS sake do NOT walk on a sidewalk because someone might swerve off the road and hit your child.
AmyKidsCo 12:45 PM 05-07-2013
I agree that you should speak to an attorney - what we all think really doesn't count when push comes to shove. (A judge isn't going to ask us and go with majority rule, kwim?)

I hope you can find an attorney who will help you at a reasonable price.
BBDC 12:54 PM 05-07-2013
\
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
I agree that you should speak to an attorney - what we all think really doesn't count when push comes to shove. (A judge isn't going to ask us and go with majority rule, kwim?)

I hope you can find an attorney who will help you at a reasonable price.

Crystal 01:16 PM 05-07-2013
I never expected parents to arrange their work schedules based on MY needs. They just picked up at the ballpark - everyone's needs were met that way. I think a little more understanding needs to be granted to providers in this respect since our hours are so long, much longer than a normal working parent. IMO, providers should HIRE A SUB to come in so they can take time off to go to important events. Why is it different for a parent to take off work early to pick up early, therefore losing pay....than it is for a provider to be out a few extra bucks by hiring someone to come in while we do whatever it is that we "want" to do? I think it would go a LONG way with parents if we show we have EVERYONE'S best interest at heart....including thier time at work and their RIGHT to demand that their child not be driven around so the provider can leave early.

I responded above
Crystal 01:17 PM 05-07-2013
I wonder if the provider had a "regular" job and her boss wouldn't let her leave early, if she would just do it anyway? Doubtful
Crystal 01:18 PM 05-07-2013
Kelliot....

go to:

http://www.childcarelaw.org

You can email them about this.
kelliott 01:25 PM 05-07-2013
Originally Posted by Childminder:
It all comes down to breach of contract. Whomever breached it if is addressed in the contract will be responsible. Even if it is not specifically addressed but referred to in some way, ie; if DCP has in there that State rules must be followed and transporting with a permission slip is a State regulation, then the DCP screwed up.

She should have refused your child care in the first place if you were not willing to let her transport. I learned a long time ago that it is my business and that as a parent of a child in my care you must follow my rules and one of those is that you sign all permission slips. I might have an emergency arise (gas main ruptured in front of my home)and if for no other reason must have that paper. My business, my rules.

I'm pretty sure that because you were inconveniencing her by being so uncooperative by not trusting her to transport, the DCP decided to teach you a lesson and it has backfired. I'm certain that it pissed her off that you were accusing her of being a bad driver even though she would have had her own family in the car and would do nothing to jeopardize their safety.

As far as not trusting the other drivers on the road, if that is the case then you would never transport your child ANYWHERE and need to not let the child ever leave your home. No trips to the doctor, grocery, beach(that in itself is a huge liability), grandparents, school, scouts, etc...looks like you need to stay home! Never get on public transportation, bus, train, airplane, etc, they are ALL driven by someone else. And for GODS sake do NOT walk on a sidewalk because someone might swerve off the road and hit your child.
i was not just "being uncooperative".. i told her %100 i'd be willing to work with her on early pick ups if she would just give me notice enough to request the time

i never once accused her of being a bad driver!.. i completely agree with the above post that if ANYTHING were to happen to my boy, i'd rather it be with me or his dad..and nobody else.
kelliott 01:35 PM 05-07-2013
Originally Posted by Crystal:
I wonder if the provider had a "regular" job and her boss wouldn't let her leave early, if she would just do it anyway? Doubtful
right???.... as a daycare provider i think it's important to remember that you technically are on the parents schedule..and you should get used to the fact that parents can't just leave work when they feel like it, unlike the providers themselves. providers get paid holidays, vacations, sick days(just like regualr employees)...i will never understand why they feel like making their own schedules at the risk of the parents losing their job should be included in that..not only that..but many of you get to stay home with your kids all day!.. if that ain't "the good life" already, i dont know what is..!
crazydaycarelady 01:37 PM 05-07-2013
Originally Posted by :
do NOT walk on a sidewalk because someone might swerve off the road and hit your child.
http://missoulian.com/news/local/mis...9bb2963f4.html

Seriously, THAT just happened in my town. A boy was walking down the sidewalk, was hit by an "inattentive" driver, and killed. The driver was charged with careless driving and gets a $500 fine, no jail. Tragic! Things like that can happen ANYTIME and ANYWHERE!

Originally Posted by :
not only that..but many of you get to stay home with your kids all day!.. if that ain't "the good life" already, i dont know what is..!
Bwahahaha.......ALL jobs have pluses and minuses. One of the minuses of being a provider is long hours but I wouldn't say it's "the good life" until you've tried it!
Greenplasticwateringcans 02:23 PM 05-07-2013
right???.... as a daycare provider i think it's important to remember that you technically are on the parents schedule..and you should get used to the fact that parents can't just leave work when they feel like it, unlike the providers themselves. providers get paid holidays, vacations, sick days(just like regualr employees)...i will never understand why they feel like making their own schedules at the risk of the parents losing their job should be included in that..not only that..but many of you get to stay home with your kids all day!.. if that ain't "the good life" already, i dont know what is..!
Incorrect. I am on my schedule that works best for my daycare and my family and look for daycare families that fit into that schedule.
kelliott 02:45 PM 05-07-2013
Incorrect. I am on my schedule that works best for my daycare and my family and look for daycare families that fit into that schedule.
i understand that you and other providers have a schedule that they made and work with families that fit the schedule as well... i'm meaning to say that parents can't just work around a providers schedule if it is different than the one they signed up for.. i.e. last minute changes-my sons daycare schedule was 7:30-5:30...the night before she needs me to pick up an hour early, i can't just say "okay" and conform to her plans..

reading over my last post i agree that it could definitely rub some providers the wrong way..i apologize!! i just meant that if you set a schedule at signing a new family, then you should expect that schedule to be followed by BOTH parties. i get that DCPs are human and get illnesses, emergencies, etc... but other than that, you are working with a parents schedule just as they are working with yours and if you are not willing to do that than maybe this is not the profession for you..
crazydaycarelady 02:49 PM 05-07-2013
Was there any agreement on how much notice she would be giving you? I know from past experience that you usually get the entire season schedule at the beginning so you should have gotten enough notice.

I hope it works out for you. Good luck!
JoseyJo 03:03 PM 05-07-2013
Seriously?? It seems that you think being a daycare provider is all peaches and cream. If it is the best job a person can have then why aren't you one? Maybe you should think about doing it for a living. Then you could have "the good life" and get to spend alllll day with your child AND other children from different families and try to keep all your "bosses" happy (since you seem to think that a daycare provider is a employee not a business owner)...

Should your provider have transported w/o your permission? No.

Did she do anything illegal? sounds like not from what you heard from licensing (maybe she did, but you would have to check with an attorney, the state, etc, not with daycare providers on a forum).

Did she void the contract? Maybe, maybe not. Again, you would need to check with an attorney, not daycare providers on a forum!

YOU chose this provider- you could have chosen a center, or even a home provider that did not ever go anywhere. YOU chose to take the chance. Regardless of what the provider did she has the right to send you to collections. You can either take your chances (again), either get an attorney or not, or pay up!
Greenplasticwateringcans 03:43 PM 05-07-2013
i understand that you and other providers have a schedule that they made and work with families that fit the schedule as well... i'm meaning to say that parents can't just work around a providers schedule if it is different than the one they signed up for.. i.e. last minute changes-my sons daycare schedule was 7:30-5:30...the night before she needs me to pick up an hour early, i can't just say "okay" and conform to her plans..

reading over my last post i agree that it could definitely rub some providers the wrong way..i apologize!! i just meant that if you set a schedule at signing a new family, then you should expect that schedule to be followed by BOTH parties. i get that DCPs are human and get illnesses, emergencies, etc... but other than that, you are working with a parents schedule just as they are working with yours and if you are not willing to do that than maybe this is not the profession for you..
Okay I see what you meant now and agree with your explanation.

Being a care provider is hard business and even in my easiest years has never been "living the life" lol
snowball 03:46 PM 05-07-2013
In the other post wasn't it stated that the OP did fill put the traps sort part but then made a note below it?

If that is the case the DCP did not void the contract and OP would have to pay.
kelliott 04:03 PM 05-07-2013
Originally Posted by snowball:
In the other post wasn't it stated that the OP did fill put the traps sort part but then made a note below it?

If that is the case the DCP did not void the contract and OP would have to pay.
on the slip it had two boxes to mark i.e i do give ____ permission... or i do NOT give ____ permission

i marked that i did not give permission and even when she texted me she said "...even though you did not approve it"... she knew i did not okay for her to take my son off the premises
kelliott 04:06 PM 05-07-2013
Okay I see what you meant now and agree with your explanation.

Being a care provider is hard business and even in my easiest years has never been "living the life" lol
i guess that's true.. i would loooovveee to spend all day everyday with my son!!.. i guess i forget about the *taking care of others' snotty, rude, clingy, dirty, spoiled, loud* kids too :P... not that all kids are like that! iv met some quite nice and polite ones lately
snowball 04:16 PM 05-07-2013
on the slip it had two boxes to mark i.e i do give ____ permission... or i do NOT give ____ permission

i marked that i did not give permission and even when she texted me she said "...even though you did not approve it"... she knew i did not okay for her to take my son off the premises

Oh, I see. I must have misread.

I'm not sure then. I will say I don't agree with the provider transporting, but I think you had the responsibility to pick your son up early.

I understand that you said this wasn't possible, but as a provider I would have tried to call you and if I was unable to reach your contacts I would have called social services.

The reason I'm bringing this up is because since there were bad decisions made by both parties do you think she would be willing to settle for half?
kelliott 04:21 PM 05-07-2013
Originally Posted by snowball:
Oh, I see. I must have misread.

I'm not sure then. I will say I don't agree with the provider transporting, but I think you had the responsibility to pick your son up early.
I understand that you said this wasn't possible, but as a provider I would have tried to call you and if I was unable to reach your contacts I would have called social services.

The reason I'm bringing this up is because since there were bad decisions made by both parties do you think she would be willing to settle for half?
i texted her about settling but she just stuck with the fact that i terminated care and i signed the contract..blah blah blah... she's very demeaning when she talks/texts me so i left it at that and yesterday she texted me stating that my file has been referred for collection.

i get i was supposed to pick him up early but without enough notice, i wasn't able to and i told her that.. i would have rather her called my emergency contacts and my workplace..and even social services if it came down to it! but all that was sent was a text message to me(which i did not immediately see) no phonecalls to ANYONE i listed to her :/
snowball 04:28 PM 05-07-2013
i texted her about settling but she just stuck with the fact that i terminated care and i signed the contract..blah blah blah... she's very demeaning when she talks/texts me so i left it at that and yesterday she texted me stating that my file has been referred for collection.

i get i was supposed to pick him up early but without enough notice, i wasn't able to and i told her that.. i would have rather her called my emergency contacts and my workplace..and even social services if it came down to it! but all that was sent was a text message to me(which i did not immediately see) no phonecalls to ANYONE i listed to her :/
I'm sorry but I do think you had notice. I think since it was talked about at interview, you knew that early pick ups were required. It does not excuse her from transporting without permission, but it also doesn't excuse you from picking up when required.

But now that she has sent you to collections, I don't know if there is anything you can do other than speak to an attorney.

Also has she said anything about late fees? If she is planning on collecting late fees on top of the 4 weeks you might be better off just to pay her.
NeedaVaca 05:56 PM 05-07-2013
Why we are rehashing this? The original thread was more than enough. You knew then that she was going to send you to collections if you didn't pay, you were advised a couple of weeks ago to call an attorney. Now it's starting all over again because you did nothing... you even said you don't want to know if you are right or wrong, you just wanted to know if you could win. You have had many posters say call an attorney so...call.an.attorney
mom2many 06:58 PM 05-07-2013
Why we are rehashing this? The original thread was more than enough. You knew then that she was going to send you to collections if you didn't pay, you were advised a couple of weeks ago to call an attorney. Now it's starting all over again because you did nothing... you even said you don't want to know if you are right or wrong, you just wanted to know if you could win. You have had many posters say call an attorney so...call.an.attorney
My thoughts exactly! Enough already....
Willow 07:27 PM 05-07-2013
At this point our opinions don't matter.

Fact is doing nothing, as you have been, is not going to make this go away. Venting on a daycare forum isn't going to change what happened or what the provider is asking for.

If you think something illegal or unethical has taken place you needed to do something about that from the get go. I think the fact that you've procrastinated taking action will only weaken your argument that you've been wronged.

Waiting to seek legal counsel until now, only after she sent you to collections, is going to make it appear as if you simply don't want to pay. Being proactive instead of reactive could definitely have made all the difference in whether you're stuck or not regardless of what she did.
AmyKidsCo 08:31 PM 05-07-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
At this point our opinions don't matter.
Agreed.

What we think about who is wrong doesn't matter.
What we do in our programs doesn't matter (in this situation ).
What we think the parent or provider should have done doesn't matter.
What we would do differently doesn't matter.

The only thing that matters now is what the law in the OP's state says, if she decides to go that route.

And that's my 2c.
lolaland 04:42 AM 05-08-2013
You knew then that she was going to send you to collections if you didn't pay, you were advised a couple of weeks ago to call an attorney. Now it's starting all over again because you did nothing...

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61919

Several weeks ago TomCopeland gave you professional advise in this forum about your situation. …

And AGAIN you have an important information (example: “Kids are transported in that daycare”/”pick up your child earlier tomorrow”/ “talk with an attorney”), and AGAIN you decide to do nothing about it and expect things to work as you want.

“Insanity – Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results” - Albert Einstein
momofboys 05:24 AM 05-08-2013

As a provider with male children I think you will understand how important it is to attend your childrens games when your own child is older. I find it ridiculous when someone trusts me with their child all day but not in the car. I used to take my dckids to my sons games and the parents would pick them up there. You either trust the provider all the time or you don't.

countrymom 07:13 AM 05-08-2013
if she sent you to collection agencies, have they contacted you and did you call a lawyer yet.
nanglgrl 07:32 AM 05-08-2013
The only thing that I don't like about my job is parents who act like I work for them. I read through your prior post and I do think the provider shouldn't have transported but what you did to her was incredibly rude. It's obvious to me she made it 100% clear the night before, that morning and when she text you that day that she would have to transport uf you didn't pick up and it's also 100% clear to me that you knew when you dropped your child off that you had no intent on picking up in time for her to leave. I don't know when she got her schedule but I have gotten sports schedules a day in advance before. Regardless, there are many reasons a provider may have to close on short notice. I'm not on my clients schedule. I set my schedule and telling them I have to close is part of that and I expect them to either pick up when I tell them to or find another provider. The more you post the more I see this situation from the providers eyes.
Former Teacher 08:06 AM 05-08-2013
Am I the only one who thinks this thread is like a broken record?

The OP asked for advice and she obviously didn't take it because she started a new thread asking for more advice.

As a PP said: why do we keep on rehashing this? We all said what we needed to say. No sense on keep on repeating it
Angelwings36 08:06 AM 05-08-2013
You knowingly abandoned your child with this provider. The provider transported ONLY AFTER you left your child with her when she was not able to care for him. You will lose. I would advise to try to settle things out with the provider before your credit gets ruined.
Blackcat31 08:09 AM 05-08-2013
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:

The OP asked for advice and she obviously didn't take it because she started a new thread asking for more advice.

As a PP said: why do we keep on rehashing this? We all said what we needed to say. No sense on keep on repeating it
+1

yeah, this is getting old.
bunnyslippers 08:14 AM 05-08-2013
As much as I want this thread to end, I can't help but comment on this outrageous statement. We are obligated to uphold our end of the contracted deal. The parents are also required to do the same. If you are under the false impression that provider's need to put their lives on hold for parents who choose to be late or disregard the contracted hours, you are living in a dream world. We make contracts with parents based around what is best for our own family's needs. Some of us choose to be open for 12 hours a day, and others choose to be open for 6. It is your responsibility, as a parent, to find the proper fit for your family. If you don't like the hours that your provider is available, or her special stipulations, then FIND A NEW PROVIDER.

I did choose to open my own business and get paid for it. I do get to spend all day with my children. I am fairly sure you could make the same choice. We all do what is best for our own family situations.

This is a good life, and one I chose for my family. I also make sure that the parents I choose to enroll are able to follow MY schedule requirements, so it can continue to be a good life.

I have no tolerance for people who expect their providers to bend over backwards for them. It is obvious from your previous posts and your initial issue that you are a parent who thinks the provider is your personal babysitter. Hire a nanny or go to a large center. Clearly a better fit for you and your demands.
bunnyslippers 08:16 AM 05-08-2013
+1

yeah, this is getting old.
I know, I am sorry I just prolonged it. I just had a little moment for myself. I won't chime in again and maybe it will go away.
Leigh 10:04 AM 05-08-2013
This is not about transporting during daycare hours. This is about a mom who intentionally chose to not pick up her child when the daycare closed, and THEN got mad at the provider for taking her child along to a ball game.

The daycare was closed. The parent didn't pick up the child when the daycare closed. I can not imagine that this parent would win a case when they were essentially "the one who started it" (daycare phrase?). The parent KNEW the provider was closed and chose to leave her child there-what did the parent think would happen?

I wouldn't accept kids whose parents don't allow me to transport, but I have never had a parent balk at the permission slip-they just sign it and are glad that their kid gets trips to the zoo, the children's museum, etc. However, were I to take a child who was not allowed to be transported, I would consider that after hours, the parent's wishes are no longer considered. If you don't pick up your child, you don't get to complain if he/she has to come along with me.

I would be furious if a provider didn't follow my wishes to not transport my kid-but after REFUSING to pick up their child at closing time, this parent has no room to complain. I honestly don't think she would have a chance at winning a case in court.
mema 11:35 AM 05-08-2013
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Agreed.

What we think about who is wrong doesn't matter.
What we do in our programs doesn't matter (in this situation ).
What we think the parent or provider should have done doesn't matter.
What we would do differently doesn't matter.

The only thing that matters now is what the law in the OP's state says, if she decides to go that route.

And that's my 2c.

Originally Posted by Former Teacher:

Leigh 04:27 PM 05-08-2013
I would imagine that those complaining about this thread MUST still be interested in it if they keep visiting the thread. It hardly makes sense to complain about it. If one were not interested, one would not be on the thread, in my opinion.
Former Teacher 07:01 PM 05-08-2013
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I would imagine that those complaining about this thread MUST still be interested in it if they keep visiting the thread. It hardly makes sense to complain about it. If one were not interested, one would not be on the thread, in my opinion.
The ONLY reason why I keep coming back to this thread is because I am a moderator. Trust me...there are a lot more interesting threads to me than this one
Rachel 01:13 AM 05-09-2013

I agree with this. I am lucky in that I have a great sub who is mostly free, but she does have other jobs. Once my daughter was in a skit at school. I had to leave at 12 becuase my sub had another job. I missed her, but she knows I came and waited as long as I could.

I took this job, I signed a contract agreeing to provide care between 7 & 4:30, 5 days a week except certain holidays (laid out at the beginning of the year), 3 personal days a year (2 week notice given), and if I need a sick day (we have a system here where the kids go to backup, but I pay). Other than that I am here. If I can not be here, my sub is here. Yes, it's long hours but I knew that when I signed on. I don't get some of you making up your own rules as you go along, or being paid for time when you are there but asking parents to pick up early or drop off late. The provider broke the contract by transporting the child. As a parent I would be livid, and as a DCP I can't understand how to so many people this is so okay. No wonder we have a bad name.
Springdaze 10:37 AM 05-10-2013

I agree with this. I have had to miss things that my children do, I get that we are in this business to be there for our kids, but how can you stay in business when you are asking so much of the parents. I have laid awake at night trying to figure out how my kids are going to get home from school because this is how i put food on the table and the parents rely on me to care for their kids so they can have food on theirs.
Unregistered 01:14 PM 05-10-2013
Originally Posted by Angelwings36:
You knowingly abandoned your child with this provider. The provider transported ONLY AFTER you left your child with her when she was not able to care for him. You will lose. I would advise to try to settle things out with the provider before your credit gets ruined.

For one, I suspect the contract she signed contained something in there that if the child wasn't picked up...she is authorized to take the child with her until the parent can make arrangements. Beats social services....and I know many daycare's that have that, and is completely legal.

Either way, in the beginning it was made clear about these games, and she signed the contract period. Also - this parent could have easily faxed her a written permission for that day...instead she was completely irresponsible in not picking up the child before the daycare closed.

Now because she has bad feelings toward her provider she wants to bail out on the contact she signed. Many of us have been through that with irresponsible parents who use excuses for getting out of their financial obligation.

Furthermore, she should have apologized for being late and repaired her relationship with her provider so she wouldn't be in this dilemma that she caused herself.
countrymom 05:06 PM 05-10-2013
but I think alot of you are missing the most important point. When your child is involved in an activity YOU GET A SCHEDUAL. So the provider knew in advance the times her child had to play so she could have given it to the provider.
Cradle2crayons 05:31 PM 05-10-2013
but I think alot of you are missing the most important point. When your child is involved in an activity YOU GET A SCHEDUAL. So the provider knew in advance the times her child had to play so she could have given it to the provider.
As a softball and t ball COACH I can ASSURE you there are times we find out about a game the night before literally. Especially rescheduled games, exhibition games etc. it happened about four times last season alone.

It happens.
KnoxMom 08:31 AM 05-11-2013
Good Lord! Can we close this thread already? The OP knows what she needs to do and doesn't want to hear it. She needs an attorney and needs to be prepared with documentation of all communication. The provider gave notice (although it WAS VERY last minute) and the parent did not pick up in time. The provider should NOT have transported. Still, the parent knew THE NIGHT BEFORE AND THAT MORNING she wouldn't be able to leave. I have worked long enough to know that there is NO BOSS ON EARTH that would stop me from leaving to pick up my child in an emergency. It is an emergency if a daycare is closing and I have not authorized my child to be transported. We can go back and forth about who was wrong, what should have happened and what we would have done but the bottom line is decisions have already been made. At this point it is only up to a judge if they can't be civil enough to work it out as adults. Now, can we PLEASE MOVE ON?
Laurel 08:52 AM 05-11-2013

Laurel
kelliott 01:18 PM 05-16-2013
wow! didn't know 4-5 days after i last posted that people would still be giving their negative(and sometimes positive/constructive) feedback.. i've recieved the information i needed..thank you!

i filed a complaint against her..and she has 2 citations(that i know of) now on her record.. i am checking the mail everyday for a collection notice and have called an attorney..

thank you all!

*will not be replying on the thread anymore
Unregistered 08:38 PM 05-16-2013
Originally Posted by Angelwings36:
You know, after reading the other thread, I agree with the above. YOU LEFT YOUR KID WITH THIS WOMAN KNOWING SHE HAD SOMETHING TO DO WITH HER CHILD AFTER SHE INFORMED YOU THE NIGHT BEFORE. SHE ALSO WARNED YOU THAT IF YOU DID NOT P/U PRIOR TO HER NEEDING TO LEAVE SHED TAKE THE CHILD WITH HER. YOU DID NOT OBJECT. YOU DID NOT CHOOSE TO TAKE THE CHILD ELSEWHERE FOR THE DAY. YOU DID NOT EVEN COME GET THE KID EARLY! You KNEW that there was this possibility! It's very possible, she had already found out it was NOT illegal to transport your child based on the above, and therefore made the executive decision not to miss her kid's event for you or your child. Your child wasn't UNSAFE or in DANGER, so give me a break. Should she have left? I don't know. I never allowed for no-transportation. I had a TON of older kids and we did field trips and other activities/outings so to exclude one child is VERY UNFAIR so I just didn't do it. If you didn't want me to transport? Your kid didn't enroll. This eliminated the chance anything could happen that would warrant me to inadvertently ido something w/o permission (i.e . emergency) Anyway, If I am getting the right info from original thread , then I don't see how she "voided" your contract. In fact, the fact you knew and didn't object, you could even be seen as giving her 1x permission! (Maybe not as a permanent thing, but on that day by virtue of your dropping off your child knowing the circumstances and not making any other arrangements). I don't think you will even have a case, but as others have said GET A LAWYER!!!!

And next time ,you find a daycare that doesn't do transportation.

If what I have gotten from the thread is NOT true and you had "no idea" (which I do not believe) until AFTER the 4:30pm text, then she would be in the wrong. But somehow I think it's much more than the woman just waited til just before her kid's game to text you. That doesn't make sense, and if it doesn't make sense, it's usually not true!
JenNJ 11:39 AM 05-17-2013
I think you still need to get LEGAL advice on this. Call your local bar association to ask for some guidance.

Everyone in this post can make assumptions, but only a legal professional can handle it from here.
Blackcat31 11:45 AM 05-17-2013
Originally Posted by JenNJ:
I think you still need to get LEGAL advice on this. Call your local bar association to ask for some guidance.

Everyone in this post can make assumptions, but only a legal professional can handle it from here.
OP did call an attorney.

She posted in post #72 that "i am checking the mail everyday for a collection notice and have called an attorney.."

However, OP did not say what the attorney said to her.
kelliott 01:55 PM 05-17-2013
BlackCat is nice..so i will respond one last time

i DID contact an Attorney... let's just say i am VERY content with the situation i am in now
MyAngels 01:58 PM 05-17-2013

i DID contact an Attorney... let's just say i am VERY content with the situation i am in now
I'd be interested to see how this all comes out in the end. I think it would be helpful to parents and providers alike to see how the law might apply in different situations.

If you'd care to update when all is said and done, that would be great
Crystal 02:09 PM 05-17-2013

Sweet! I am in your corner. Do let us kow how it turns out, please!
countrymom 03:53 PM 05-17-2013
yes let us know. And what is the citation for. Ok now I'm just being nosy.
rmc20021 05:01 AM 05-20-2013
I would probably have done the same thing as you as far as pulling my child if I had not given permission to transport. It is a safety concern...that's why we as providers are supposed to have the permission, so that parents who don't feel comfortable with it can refuse...which you did.

Now, as far as not paying the final four weeks, legally I would think that since you had signed the contract it may still apply. I once had an attorney tell me that because one person did not abide by something in a contract did not mean the other person was free to not abide by it as well.

Personally, I don't feel it's right you should have to pay...and just because an attorney told me what I wrote above, does not mean another attorney would agree, nor does it mean that your state laws would agree...
Greenplasticwateringcans 09:57 PM 05-20-2013

That sounds promising

I'm definitely rooting for you! Good luck.
AnneCordelia 09:28 AM 05-21-2013
no phonecalls were made to me..or to try to get into contact with me. she has my work and some mergency contacts that i listed but did not CALL any of them.. her biggest attempt at getting a hold of me was a text message at 4pm stating that they were leaving and where i could pick him up-being that i was at work..i hadn't read the message until about 4:30 :/
I know this is quite a touchy topic now. I am glad you contacted an attorney and are happy with your outlook.

That said, IMO it was your responsibility first to call your emergency contact the night before when she told you she was closing at 4:30. You should have called them and arranged an pickup from them rather than expecting your provider to call them once you were already intentionally late.

Sometimes closing early is necessary. Once I got less than 24 hours notice for a neurologist appointment Id been waiting six monhs for. All my parents picked up early without complaint. I would have terminated if they made me late for that. Part of using a home daycare instead of a center means accepting that sometimes it will close with short notice and you need to find an alternate for the day. All my parents have reliable backup by means of a grandparent, froend, or relative.
Crystal 11:44 AM 05-21-2013
Originally Posted by AnneCordelia:
I know this is quite a touchy topic now. I am glad you contacted an attorney and are happy with your outlook.

That said, IMO it was your responsibility first to call your emergency contact the night before when she told you she was closing at 4:30. You should have called them and arranged an pickup from them rather than expecting your provider to call them once you were already intentionally late.

Sometimes closing early is necessary. Once I got less than 24 hours notice for a neurologist appointment Id been waiting six monhs for. All my parents picked up early without complaint. I would have terminated if they made me late for that. Part of using a home daycare instead of a center means accepting that sometimes it will close with short notice and you need to find an alternate for the day. All my parents have reliable backup by means of a grandparent, froend, or relative.
I understand what you are saying....and in YOUR situation, I would agree.....yours was for very important medical reasons. But, this was a ball game that the provider COULD have easily gone late to. The other parent and sibling were going so it's not like the kid would have missed the game....the mom just would have been late....by only a few minutes, not hours.
MarinaVanessa 11:50 AM 05-21-2013
I understand what you are saying....and in YOUR situation, I would agree.....yours was for very important medical reasons. But, this was a ball game that the provider COULD have easily gone late to. The other parent and sibling were going so it's not like the kid would have missed the game....the mom just would have been late....by only a few minutes, not hours.

AnneCordelia 02:01 PM 05-21-2013
You know I agree with you too. Just to ight I am missing my own ds's baseball game because it starts at 5:30 and I cant get there from a 5pm close and feed my own kids dinner, and dh has our vehicle at work. Gramma is taking him. :-)

And I dont think the dcp should have driven the op child. I dont transport dc kids either, so I understand the frustration of not being able to take a child with if parents are late. And I dont let care providers drive my own children so I understand the discomfort of not trusting that dcp anymore. Because of that I agree that the op has a very good chance of winning this case.

From the dcp pov though it is frustrating. The provider said from the beginning that she has never missed a game but OP thought her case would be special. Op should have believed what the dcp told her from the start.

Also this is just the beginning of baseball season so sometimes schedules are quickly put together. When my sons league started two weeks ago we were only given a days notice of his first gAme.

I totally see this from all sides. I hope the op gets the justice shes entitled to, but I also hope she learns to find a better fit next time.
ladjohnson 03:01 PM 05-21-2013
If this is a licensed home/center or even a registered home a provider MUST present parent(s) with a consent form authorizing the facility to transport on that particular day even if you checked give permission on pg 1 of the admission form. It must include time departing & returning, location, address, telephone # etc. I would contact licensing back to file a complaint.
Cradle2crayons 03:16 PM 05-21-2013
Originally Posted by ladjohnson:
If this is a licensed home/center or even a registered home a provider MUST present parent(s) with a consent form authorizing the facility to transport on that particular day even if you checked give permission on pg 1 of the admission form. It must include time departing & returning, location, address, telephone # etc. I would contact licensing back to file a complaint.
It depends on the state... Some states don't require permission forms at all....
Crystal 03:29 PM 05-21-2013
Originally Posted by ladjohnson:
Unfortunately the State of Ca. doesn't require that. Absurd, for sure.
sharlan 09:50 AM 05-22-2013
Unfortunately the State of Ca. doesn't require that. Absurd, for sure.
Yep, we can transport without permission, but we can't give the kids 2% milk.
daycare 03:53 PM 05-22-2013
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Yep, we can transport without permission, but we can't give the kids 2% milk.
lmao or apply sunscreen without permission...............
MarinaVanessa 09:37 PM 05-22-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
lmao or apply sunscreen without permission...............
Or Whole milk if over 2.
Tags:collections
Reply Up