Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Are Your Plans For Thanksgiving?
Michelle 08:25 AM 11-20-2013
What are your customs or traditions?
Where are you going?
Are your in laws and outlaws coming?

We are just going to go skiing in the mountains for a few days.
I ordered a full turkey meal and full ham meal for 12 from a local restaurant and we are going to have the traditional meal with our local family and then take off to Big Bear. ( I know I should cook but I want to enjoy my family)
I am making the pies!

Tell me about your plans.
VTMom 08:43 AM 11-20-2013
We're heading to my Dad's in Southern Vermont. I just need to bring an appetizer! We'll have the traditional turkey feast. I always like to watch the Macy's Thanksgiving parade, but with traveling time, I'm not sure if I'll get that in. I usually get excited about it each year thinking my kids (ages 6 and 9) will be into the parade too, but I've been mistaken. Other than that, eat, drink and be merry!

I love Thanksgiving!
Michelle 08:46 AM 11-20-2013
Originally Posted by VTMom:
We're heading to my Dad's in Southern Vermont. I just need to bring an appetizer! We'll have the traditional turkey feast. I always like to watch the Macy's Thanksgiving parade, but with traveling time, I'm not sure if I'll get that in. I usually get excited about it each year thinking my kids (ages 6 and 9) will be into the parade too, but I've been mistaken. Other than that, eat, drink and be merry!

I love Thanksgiving!
I actually have never really got into the Macy's parade either
It seems more like a bunch of stage shows instead of a parade, maybe I haven't watched enough of it to give it a chance though
VTMom 08:59 AM 11-20-2013
Originally Posted by Michelle:
I actually have never really got into the Macy's parade either
It seems more like a bunch of stage shows instead of a parade, maybe I haven't watched enough of it to give it a chance though
And that's exactly what it is! I think my Mom was always into it so I grew up with it! Perhaps my kids should feel fortunate they're breaking the cycle!
sharlan 08:59 AM 11-20-2013
We're staying home. I hate to go anywhere for the holidays.

My eldest dd and I cook a big meal - turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes and a jello salad. My youngest dd makes a big green salad. My mom makes cranberry sauce and her bf brings the pies. Youngest dd's inlaws bring the rolls and soda. A former daycare family brings a green bean casserole and a cake.

We also set out big trays of cheese and crackers, veggies and dip, pickles (bread & butter and dill), olives, and other snackies.

Right now, we have a total of 18 people (15 adults/3 kids) coming. Eldest dd's sil and her dd may come.
BumbleBee 09:10 AM 11-20-2013
Just me and my mom eating Tgiving dinner at my house.

We're having turkey, rolls, squash, taters, green beans, cranberry sauce, and wine :-)

No family close enough to share with. If my neighbor is home she'll be joining us.
Msdunny 09:12 AM 11-20-2013
My mother-in-love is going to visit her mom in Florida, and we aren't going there this year. My dh wants to go to a restaurant that day, and as I don't really want to fix a huge meal for just our family of 5 and my dad, I think we may just do that.

Now, how to figure out how to invite my dad without including my sister and her kids (who I would end up having to buy dinner for also - she would never volunteer her money!)
Sugar Magnolia 10:09 AM 11-20-2013
VEGETATE. Nada. Zip. Nothing. Oh, and eat whatever my mom is cooking.
CedarCreek 10:11 AM 11-20-2013
We wanted to head to my Aunts for Thanksgiving so we wouldn't have to cook!

But that got squashed because my father in law informed us that he and his wife and step-daughters will be coming to our house for Thanksgiving. Told. Not asked.

Guess I'm hosting
melilley 10:12 AM 11-20-2013
Going to my in-laws. I have known them since I was born and I love them so it's actually fun to go there. Plus, we celebrate all of our Birthdays that are around this time of year.
Meeko 10:21 AM 11-20-2013
Just 5 of us. I love to cook a big dinner.

We are having turkey (a 20 pounder), mashed potatoes, gravy, roasted potatoes, yam casserole, corn, peas, glazed baby carrots, roasted fall vegetable medley with pecans, stuffing, home baked rolls.

We will start with huge shrimp cocktails.

For dessert...pumpkin pie, apple pie, pecan pie, a huge selection of cookies, sweet treats, savory treats etc.

I'll start cooking several days ahead.
safechner 11:59 AM 11-20-2013
Well, we are going to my husband's family for Thanksgiving. I am not looking forward to it. I HATE Thanksgiving because it is the most boring holiday I ever have all of my life.

I love to spend time with my only family and we can have fun like our own. I am sure my husband will be tired of me that I will be complaining again for Thanksgiving day. That is me. :-)
itlw8 12:06 PM 11-20-2013
We are having a HUGE party this Saturday for the grandkids adoption so not in a hurry to entertain Thursday. Dh only gets the one day off so now wanting to drive for the day either 3 hours to our sons and back...

But today we were invited to his sister guess we will be going. I was hoping for a nice quiet dinner that was an excellent meal instead it will be noisy and not such great food. BUT nice to spend time with family so I guess I will make a dessert and we will go.
BrooklynM 01:13 PM 11-20-2013
We will be going to my ex-husband's, wife's parent's house. Did you get that? Ha! So, it will be me and my husband, my 2 kids, my ex, his wife, their 2 kids, her parents, her sisters, my mom and step dad.

Everyone brings something and I always watch the Macy's Thanksgiving day parade. YAY!
jenn 01:34 PM 11-20-2013
Watching the parade with my daughter in the morning. My husband has to work during the day, so we will be doing a late meal with my parents.
Michelle 02:33 PM 11-20-2013
Originally Posted by BrooklynM:
We will be going to my ex-husband's, wife's parent's house. Did you get that? Ha! So, it will be me and my husband, my 2 kids, my ex, his wife, their 2 kids, her parents, her sisters, my mom and step dad.

Everyone brings something and I always watch the Macy's Thanksgiving day parade. YAY!
Hmmmm, so I was right about in laws and outlaws?

Sounds very interesting and what reality shows are made for!
just playing

Michelle 02:35 PM 11-20-2013
Originally Posted by VTMom:

I love Thanksgiving!
Vermont sounds WONDERFUL!
I picture a beautiful fall sky and crisp clean air with moose and maybe snow?
yea, I watch too many movies
Annalee 07:02 PM 11-20-2013
I guess I am a traditionalist.... lol

Planning to have "turkey with all the trimmings" lunch with my dad's side of the family (4 generations) on Thanksgiving Day, then another lunch on the following Saturday with my mom's side of the family (5 generations).... At each gathering, we all pitch in with the cooking.... there will also be lots of hunting, playing games, parade watching, football watching, etc.

These times are very precious to my fam as many have passed on through the years, but the tradition continues. I am BLESSED!!!!
SilverSabre25 07:38 PM 11-20-2013
Staying at home, lunch/dinner with DH, DD, DS, and my mom. Then hosting my sisters and their families later for desserts.

Turkey, gluten free stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, ginger broccoli, a jello we call orange fluffy jello, cranberry sorbet. Gravy of course. Maybe some kind of roll.

The pumpkin pie and a couple other desserts to-be-determined.
SilverSabre25 07:40 PM 11-20-2013
Oh yeah, and I get a four day weekend!

And this saturday (the 23rd) is both the season 4 premier of My Little Pony, AND it's the Doctor Who 50th anniversary!!!! (SO EXCITED)
BrooklynM 10:05 PM 11-20-2013
Originally Posted by Michelle:
Hmmmm, so I was right about in laws and outlaws?

Sounds very interesting and what reality shows are made for!
just playing
If you have ever seen The New Adventures of Old Christine, that is so us, except I'm not old Christine anymore because I remarried, but I was old Christine for quite a while.

We would make a boring reality show though-we have no drama! Everyone around us though is always fascinated with our family- trying to figure out how everyone fits and why we are all so friendly.
Michelle 04:58 AM 11-21-2013
Originally Posted by dapb45:
I guess I am a traditionalist.... lol

Planning to have "turkey with all the trimmings" lunch with my dad's side of the family (4 generations) on Thanksgiving Day, then another lunch on the following Saturday with my mom's side of the family (5 generations).... At each gathering, we all pitch in with the cooking.... there will also be lots of hunting, playing games, parade watching, football watching, etc.

These times are very precious to my fam as many have passed on through the years, but the tradition continues. I am BLESSED!!!!
sounds wonderful!
you are blessed

Michelle 05:02 AM 11-21-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Oh yeah, and I get a four day weekend!

And this saturday (the 23rd) is both the season 4 premier of My Little Pony, AND it's the Doctor Who 50th anniversary!!!! (SO EXCITED)
2 of my daughters would want you as an Aunt!
My 21 year old is totally addicted to Dr Who.. I try to watch with her but I just fall asleep. My 10 year old dd has every My Little Pony toy they sell.
Your Thanksgiving sounds like what we usually do every year.

We have a 4 day weekend too and taking total advantage.
snbauser 05:12 AM 11-21-2013
Staying home and cooking the traditional feast just for us. And spending the day watching football We were going to go to NY to my BIL's family but my oldest has to work Fri and Sat so we are staying home. I'm looking forward to the 5 day weekend. Lots to get done.
Michelle 05:25 AM 11-21-2013
Originally Posted by sharlan:
We're staying home. I hate to go anywhere for the holidays.

My eldest dd and I cook a big meal - turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes and a jello salad. My youngest dd makes a big green salad. My mom makes cranberry sauce and her bf brings the pies. Youngest dd's inlaws bring the rolls and soda. A former daycare family brings a green bean casserole and a cake.

We also set out big trays of cheese and crackers, veggies and dip, pickles (bread & butter and dill), olives, and other snackies.

Right now, we have a total of 18 people (15 adults/3 kids) coming. Eldest dd's sil and her dd may come.
Ok we are going to your house now
your food sounds yummy!
originalkat 05:50 AM 11-21-2013
I am hosting Thanksgiving at our house just like every year. However, all I have to prepare are rolls, corn, green beans, and stuffing. Everyone else will be bringing desserts and meats and side dishes. It makes it pretty simple for me.

This is a special holiday that I lay out a table cloth and decorate the table. I am expecting 7 kids and 10 adults.

The next day we always put up the Christmas tree!
Cat Herder 05:56 AM 11-21-2013
We are having Ultimate Nacho's with guacamole, salsa and black olives for dinner after a long day hiking on vacated mountain trails...as a couple Then movies and snuggling by the fire.

We usually volunteer, but they had help in record numbers this year. We will let the young bucks take the reins, and enjoy time together instead.

We don't have our kids for Thanksgiving or Christmas this year. Part of divorce. Learning to share was HARD at first, but we are old pro's, now.

So.... I am making Lemon Meringue pie out of my lemons. Lemonade is over-rated.

Next year I will go over the top being Suzie Homemaker like usual...
Brooksie 05:59 AM 11-21-2013
This is DDs holiday to be with her dad so I will be kid-less. This year I will be spending my first Holiday with DBFs family instead of going to my grandmothers. It'll be different but I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully someone else is cooking because from what I hear, his mom isn't the best cook.
Cradle2crayons 06:36 AM 11-21-2013
We are doing our traditional or some may think it's not traditional lol.

Husband may or may not be here but it won't change our plans either way.

It will be me, my two kids, two of husbands kids from previous, the 90 year old sweetest old man in the world that owns the 60 acres all around our 20 acres. He doesn't have family and we love his old man. He's coming by himself to spend the day with us. Then I'm inviting special dcg and her mom and little dcb brother. Then I'm inviting the biological mom and dad and brother of my adopted sons family. Then I've invited another older couple in my community I always adopt for thanksgiving and Christmas dinner ever year.

So lots of people, not many family in the legal sense, but they mean the same to us anyway.

Then after we are done, we are packaging up the leftovers for ten families with small kids who wouldn't have had thanksgiving in any other way and we are delivering thanksgiving supper to those houses.
Blackcat31 09:02 AM 11-21-2013
We are replacing the hardwood floors in our master bedroom, bath and closet.

We had a water line burst earlier this year and are just now finding the time to replace the flooring.

It should go fairly quickly but moving the furniture in our room is what will be a PITA.

It's just DH and I for dinner. Both our kids have to work. We were invited to my siblings homes but they have young kids still and....well, I prefer the quiet, just the two of us kind of weekend.

THAT is what I'm thankful for so...
TwinKristi 09:18 AM 11-21-2013
I'm making dinner here for my family and maybe dad & FIL. My mom usually comes by to visit but makes dinner at her house. This has been our tradition for about 10yrs now. I live the cooking and feasting but not the cleanup! I have Friday off so we'll spend our weekend together as a family!
Tags:thanksgiving
Reply Up