Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Weather Clause In Your Policies?
Peaches 07:01 AM 03-17-2015
How do you all handle parents bringing appropriate clothing for outside time. I have one family with twin toddlers that pick and choose when they bring outside clothes and shoes for their kids, so the days they don't bring appropriate clothing I'm forced to be homebound with all the kids. I didn't complain over the winter when they did this because their kids were young walkers and it was very cold most days. But today they did not bring things again. I'm assuming it's because their kids have mild colds...It's frustrating, now that the weather is decent I would like to get all the kids out at least for a little while. How do you all handle outdoor clothing for daycare kids. Do you just tell parents, have something written up in your policy handbook or should I write all parents a letter reminding them to bring appropriate clothing for the outdoors? Or just dress the kids in extras I purchase?
laundrymom 07:51 AM 03-17-2015
I have some jackets here and I take them out in socks, if need be. I texted all my parents sunday reminding them we would be outside every day this week. My first arrival didn't have shoes on at arrival. I asked if shoes were in car, she said, only his church shoes, I said, that will work for today but make sure he has tennis shoes for tomorrow.
She reluctantly handed me the brown leather stride rites.
Last arrival today (11 mo), I greeted him excitedly, said, are we going outside and play today?! He smiled at me as I took him from dad, dad says, youre taking them
Out?
Yes. Everyday this week. I told you. It's beautiful out. We will be out as much as possible. Until
It's too hot, then again when it gets cool.
Dad walked out thinking the door had closed muttering, he's only a baby, he doesn't need to go out.
So I peeked out the door and said,
Yes, but there are nine others. He will have fun I am sure.
"But he doesn't have shoes"
"Are you going to drop them off?"
"No"
"Then I'm sure he'll be fine in socks."

Every spring. Same drill.
Gemma 10:02 AM 03-17-2015
Originally Posted by Peaches:
How do you all handle parents bringing appropriate clothing for outside time. I have one family with twin toddlers that pick and choose when they bring outside clothes and shoes for their kids, so the days they don't bring appropriate clothing I'm forced to be homebound with all the kids. I didn't complain over the winter when they did this because their kids were young walkers and it was very cold most days. But today they did not bring things again. I'm assuming it's because their kids have mild colds...It's frustrating, now that the weather is decent I would like to get all the kids out at least for a little while. How do you all handle outdoor clothing for daycare kids. Do you just tell parents, have something written up in your policy handbook or should I write all parents a letter reminding them to bring appropriate clothing for the outdoors? Or just dress the kids in extras I purchase?
I got tired of always having a child inappropriately dressed, parents forgetting shoes etc so to put a stop to it, I went to a second hand store and I bought my own stuff...now we can go outside every day no matter the weather
Heidi 12:48 PM 03-17-2015
both...I tell them I expect appropriate outdoor gear, but I have a cache' of castoffs and second hand store stuff for "what if". Since I take pictures and post them to my FB page quite often, I like to make sure to take pictures of children wearing mismatched or obviously (opposite) gender identifying clothes. If someone has a problem with it, they'll be sure to remember proper gear.
Rockgirl 12:52 PM 03-17-2015
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I have some jackets here and I take them out in socks, if need be. I texted all my parents sunday reminding them we would be outside every day this week. My first arrival didn't have shoes on at arrival. I asked if shoes were in car, she said, only his church shoes, I said, that will work for today but make sure he has tennis shoes for tomorrow.
Last arrival today (11 mo), I greeted him excitedly, said, are we going outside and play today?! He smiled at me as I took him from dad, dad says, youre taking them
Out?
Yes. Everyday this week. I told you. It's beautiful out. We will be out as much as possible. Until
Dad walked out thinking the door had closed muttering, he's only a baby, he doesn't need to go out.
"No"

Who says babies don't need to go out, anyway? Every baby I've ever known has LOVED being outside on a nice day.
Peaches 01:20 PM 03-17-2015
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Out?
"No"

Yea why do parents think babies shouldn't be outside? A little fresh air never hurts anyone...
Unregistered 02:33 PM 03-17-2015
I have it in my handbook under dress code. If someone isn't dressed properly I say something at the door - like 'oh no, we can't go outside unless everyone is dressed appropriatly, bummer!' I know it sounds mean but it's the truth and they should know it.
Tags:weather policy
Reply Up