Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Well, That Stinks
CountryRoads 02:02 PM 11-06-2019
Family in a bind. I agreed to watch their child completely last minute, was going to let them stop by last night to pick up all the paper work. They were running late and told me 10 minutes before they were supposed to show up they would get it tomorrow (today). I get all the paperwork to her this morning, go over some of the biggies (because no one seems to read the handbook ).

Get a text 10 minutes before she was supposed to show up for care letting me know that they got the child into the center in town and it is being paid for.

You think I would've learned my lesson by now, but no. I always feel like a fool when I bend over backward for someone just to have it blow up in my face.

*sigh* Lesson learned, I suppose. Was looking forward to the extra Christmas money.
284878 02:39 PM 11-06-2019
Been there.
Ms.Kay 04:41 PM 11-06-2019
Done that...
Leigh 07:18 PM 11-06-2019
Got the T-shirt, too!
284878 06:13 AM 11-07-2019
Originally Posted by Leigh:
Got the T-shirt, too!
Bummer I didn't get a T-shirt.
CountryRoads 06:19 AM 11-07-2019
I got a laugh this morning!

She texted me pretty early asking for drop-in care today. Her other daycare closed the infant room today. Bummer.

I told her yes as long as I had payment at drop-off. I really wanted to say no, but I couldn't turn down the extra money and it's a slow day for me.

Makes me feel a little better after they wasted my time
Blackcat31 06:30 AM 11-07-2019
Originally Posted by CountryRoads:

She texted me pretty early asking for drop-in care today. Her other daycare closed the infant room today. Bummer.

I told her yes as long as I had payment at drop-off. I really wanted to say no, but I couldn't turn down the extra money and it's a slow day for me.

Glad you are feeling better about it.

I'm at the point in my career (and life) where I would simply have said no.
They burned their bridge so there would be no bridge to cross to get to me.

I refuse to step in when they "need" me but gave little or no thought about how their actions affected me.

I understand the need for income (I am NOT dissing you for it ~ I've been there too!) but there will come a day where not all money is good money.

Hoping you at least charged them a drop in rate.
Ac114 09:07 AM 11-07-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I refuse to step in when they "need" me but gave little or no thought about how their actions affected me.

I understand the need for income (I am NOT dissing you for it ~ I've been there too!) but there will come a day where not all money is good money.

I’m getting to this point now blackcat! Me bending over backwards bit me in the butt so many times I am finally learning my lesson and setting boundaries. This job can make you miserable if you don’t set up boundaries from day 1.

My very first daycare family’s last day is next Friday. For over 2 years I have given them an extra 30 minutes for free and staying open until 6pm when I close at 5:30. Mom is off in time but chooses to run errands, go workout, basically do anything that doesn’t involve picking up her child. I told them a few weeks ago that I was done staying open until 6 because because I have children that have after school activities. They put in their 2 weeks. I need the money but I refuse to bend over backwards for families anymore.
Leigh 01:06 PM 11-07-2019
Originally Posted by 284878:
Bummer I didn't get a T-shirt.
You didn't see the merch table?
Leigh 01:14 PM 11-07-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I agree. When they burn bridges with me (no show for interview, sign on and then don't show up, etc.), I block their number on my phone and block them on social media (even though we aren't friends) so that they can't contact me in the future. As my written list of PEOPLE THAT I NO LONGER SPEAK TO has gotten longer, I quit keeping track of those people and just block them so that I don't have to check a list. This started when, after a couple of no-shows and reschedules, a woman showed up on my doorstep one evening while I was shopping, pressing my husband to let her in to speak to me because she needed daycare starting the next morning. He called me and I told him to tell her that she stood me up over and over and that I wasn't going to be taking her kids. He told me that she had a total meltdown and yelled at him and insisted that I was in the house and needed to talk to her. He wound up just shutting the door in her screaming face while she was letting him have it. She missed her last scheduled interview because she stopped at the cell phone store on her way here (she stopped at around the time the interview was to start) to buy a new phone and it took 2 hours. After a few texts from her that she would be here in 5 minutes, I left and went on with my plans for the evening, and decided then that I won't reschedule no-shows again, ever, and to start just blocking them everywhere I could.
e.j. 05:55 PM 11-07-2019
This started when, after a couple of no-shows and reschedules, a woman showed up on my doorstep one evening while I was shopping, pressing my husband to let her in to speak to me because she needed daycare starting the next morning. He called me and I told him to tell her that she stood me up over and over and that I wasn't going to be taking her kids. He told me that she had a total meltdown and yelled at him and insisted that I was in the house and needed to talk to her. He wound up just shutting the door in her screaming face while she was letting him have it.
Crazy!
Leigh 08:17 PM 11-07-2019
Originally Posted by e.j.:
Crazy!
I think we probably see more crazy, as a group, than MOST other occupations!
Josiegirl 02:53 AM 11-08-2019
I agree. When they burn bridges with me (no show for interview, sign on and then don't show up, etc.), I block their number on my phone and block them on social media (even though we aren't friends) so that they can't contact me in the future. As my written list of PEOPLE THAT I NO LONGER SPEAK TO has gotten longer, I quit keeping track of those people and just block them so that I don't have to check a list. This started when, after a couple of no-shows and reschedules, a woman showed up on my doorstep one evening while I was shopping, pressing my husband to let her in to speak to me because she needed daycare starting the next morning. He called me and I told him to tell her that she stood me up over and over and that I wasn't going to be taking her kids. He told me that she had a total meltdown and yelled at him and insisted that I was in the house and needed to talk to her. He wound up just shutting the door in her screaming face while she was letting him have it. She missed her last scheduled interview because she stopped at the cell phone store on her way here (she stopped at around the time the interview was to start) to buy a new phone and it took 2 hours. After a few texts from her that she would be here in 5 minutes, I left and went on with my plans for the evening, and decided then that I won't reschedule no-shows again, ever, and to start just blocking them everywhere I could.
After all I've read and witnessed about people, stuff like this should come as no surprise. But I still find myself thinking WTH? Entitled much???
Josiegirl 02:55 AM 11-08-2019
Originally Posted by CountryRoads:

I understand the need for $$$ but I think it would've felt better for me(Just my take on it) to be able to say 'no can do, you already blew it'.
284878 08:41 AM 11-09-2019
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I understand the need for $$$ but I think it would've felt better for me(Just my take on it) to be able to say 'no can do, you already blew it'.
I had a drop in family that disrespected me, the next time she contacted me, I decided I was too busy too help her out.
Tags:parents - taking advantage
Reply Up