Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Thermometer
kitkat 11:34 AM 10-14-2010
What type of thermometer do you use if you need to check a dck's temp? I've never had to do it unless asked by a parent. I have an ear one and I know I don't always get a good reading from it when I use it on my own kids. Dcb felt a bit warm today, but I don't think he has a fever. It made me wonder what everyone else uses to check if there's a temp.
Lilbutterflie 11:41 AM 10-14-2010
I also have an ear thermometer, and an oral thermometer as a backup. My ear thermometer is fairly accurate I think... if I take it 2-3 times it will give pretty much the same reading each time. And if I do both the oral and ear they usually give similar readings.
Live and Learn 11:41 AM 10-14-2010
My group is under age four.
I use a digital thermometer under the arm in the armpit.
Mayo clinic web site says to add one degree to this reading.
SunflowerMama 11:45 AM 10-14-2010
Originally Posted by Live and Learn:
My group is under age four.
I use a digital thermometer under the arm in the armpit.
Mayo clinic web site says to add one degree to this reading.
This is what I use too.
Lilbutterflie 11:53 AM 10-14-2010
Really??? I've never been able to get an accurate reading from an underarm thermometer. It's always way too low, even if you add 1 degree. Even the one our old pediatrician used was inaccurate. When my DD was two she was running a fever of 103 at home right before I took her to see her pediatrician. They took her underarm temp, and the nurse says "97.2. Right as rain"!"
I told her that her temp 103 a half hour ago and insisted she take her temp again with something else. She had to go get their digital oral thermometer, and it read 102.5!
I guess it's just my experience with underarm thermometers... I just don't trust them.
SilverSabre25 12:14 PM 10-14-2010
I use an underarm thermometer for everyone, even DH and I. I've never been happy with the results from oral ones. The one we have is blue and seems very accurate.
gkids09 12:42 PM 10-14-2010
We have a temporal thermometer here..We just hold the button down, rub it lightly across the forehead to the temple, and let go of the button. It is VERY accurate, and extremely fast, so we love it! It was $50 at Wal-Mart, but I found the same exact one at Sam's for $30.
AnythingsPossible 12:45 PM 10-14-2010
Originally Posted by gkids09:
We have a temporal thermometer here..We just hold the button down, rub it lightly across the forehead to the temple, and let go of the button. It is VERY accurate, and extremely fast, so we love it! It was $50 at Wal-Mart, but I found the same exact one at Sam's for $30.
Ditto!! I love mine.
kitkat 05:32 PM 10-14-2010
Originally Posted by gkids09:
That's what our ped. office uses also. I was thinking of getting one for home, but wasn't sure how accurate they were. For the cost of one, I wanted to make sure it was worth the money. I've done the armpit thing on DS once or twice and it just didn't seem accurate, but I didn't realize I had to add 1 degree. Now it makes sense! Thanks everyone!
Unregistered 08:43 AM 10-15-2010
I have 3 digital ones. under 2 get there temp taken rectal, 2 to 5 get it taken under the arm, and 5 and up get it taken under the tongue. Actually you are not suppose to add a degree to under the arm anymore like they use to say too also I know in licensed daycare you can not have an ear one only a digital one for rectal, oral, or under the arm.
Tags:thermometer
Reply Up