Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Languages Do You Know?
Michelle 11:43 AM 10-16-2013
and do you teach them to your day care kids?
how about your own kids?

I just spent the last 10 days in San Diego and had quite the cultural experience!
I met a lot of people from China and Mexico and one family from England at Sea world.... and I learned that one parent only talked to their kids in their home language and the other parent talked to them in English.

I thought this was very smart to do so that the kids don't get confused...

I only know sign language and most of my kids are fluent.
CedarCreek 11:46 AM 10-16-2013
I know about 85% English.

I also know quite a bit of sign language. I do teach the kids signs.
Blackcat31 11:49 AM 10-16-2013
I have had several bi-lingual children enrolled.

Studies have shown that learning a secondary language during early childhood is much easier to do than later in life.

The kids I've had in care don't mix the two languages up and never appeared to have issues switching back and forth.

With my one family, the dad spoke only English to the child (age 2) while Mom spoke her native language. The child would speak with both parents in the same conversation switching between the two languages without missing a beat.

I wish I had learned another language previously but I haven't.

I know a few misc words from different languages but noting fluent enough to carry on a conversation.

Maybe someday. It IS on my bucket list.
Sugar Magnolia 11:52 AM 10-16-2013
Sign language and German.
I just speak German to them, then repeat what i just said in English.
Sign language.....necessity here, when conditions are noisy. (Hard of hearing). They all know a few basic signs. Again, just use it and speak while signing. The older ones are tricky and will purposely whisper or turn their back to me. Little rascals.
Heidi 12:01 PM 10-16-2013
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
Sign language and German.
I just speak German to them, then repeat what i just said in English.
Sign language.....necessity here, when conditions are noisy. (Hard of hearing). They all know a few basic signs. Again, just use it and speak while signing. The older ones are tricky and will purposely whisper or turn their back to me. Little rascals.
German was my first language. We moved here when I was 3. I still speak it fluently, read it ok, write poorly.

My niece moved here from Germany at exactly the same age I was when I came over. It was interesting to watch her transition. Only difference was that with me NO ONE spoke English at first (my parents and all their friends had to learn it). With my niece, EVERYONE spoke English, and hardly anyone other than my sis and I spoke German with her. So, she learned English a lot faster. I didn't actually learn English until the summer before kindergarten when we moved to a neighborhood with lots of children.
Heidi 12:03 PM 10-16-2013
Some friends of ours growing up had a TRI lingual household. Mom spoke Spanish at home (but knew German and English), Dad spoke German at home, and outside the house, they spoke English.
craftymissbeth 12:09 PM 10-16-2013
My husband and his family are Hispanic so I know quite a bit of Spanish, although I get too self-conscious and try not to have to use it
Maria2013 01:19 PM 10-16-2013
I'm Italian but I only teach a few words for fun to the daycare kids
Michelle 01:39 PM 10-16-2013
wow!
A lot of German!
My kids have a lot of German in them from my dh side and some of them are taking German in college.
My 18 year old even yells at her loud parrot in German and she is going to regret that when he starts to yell it back! He is only 3 months old and still learning to talk

I think it's neat for you guys to teach your kids different languages.
It opens up so many doors.
I know what you mean about feeling self conscious though after I tried my very broken spanish to a group of relatives and they laughed at me... I never tried it again.

Michelle 01:43 PM 10-16-2013
Originally Posted by CedarCreek:
I know about 85% English.

I also know quite a bit of sign language. I do teach the kids signs.

let me guess...
on Saturday and Sunday you can speak 100% English?

by Friday, I am down to 60 % English and 40% sighs and shaking my head.
MarinaVanessa 02:20 PM 10-16-2013
English of course
Very fluent in Spanish (My first language but I don't have an accent when I speak English)
I know some simple ASL signs which I teach to the babies and toddlers (I teach it to my children also)
jokalima 03:53 PM 10-16-2013
Spanish and English. I do 50/50 during Day Care hours. I want my child to be fully bilingual and to speak my language in the correct and appropriate way so i only speak Spanish to him, and English to Day Care kids. What has happened is that he has learned English from my conversations with other kids and the other kids learned Spanish from my conversations with my son. I can say that all of my DC kids are bilingual because of the 2 languages spoken here.
Lavender 04:46 PM 10-16-2013
I took Spanish in HS and college, but I'm not as good at it as I should be. My in-laws are deaf so I do know some sign language. I utilize a few signs with my babies. More is the big one, otherwise they stare at me and shriek when they want more food.
Angelsj 04:59 PM 10-16-2013
*I* speak English, Spanish and French, but mostly English and Spanish with the kids. All of my kids (my own) are varying levels of fluent in Spanish and speak some French as well.
They all sign, though I just use baby signs with the day care kids.

I do have a dd that also speaks Italian and Latin conversationally, and a couple of kids that can banter in Sindarin, and insult you in Klingon...
Yeah, my kids are nerds.
Sugar Magnolia 05:56 PM 10-16-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
German was my first language. We moved here when I was 3. I still speak it fluently, read it ok, write poorly.

My niece moved here from Germany at exactly the same age I was when I came over. It was interesting to watch her transition. Only difference was that with me NO ONE spoke English at first (my parents and all their friends had to learn it). With my niece, EVERYONE spoke English, and hardly anyone other than my sis and I spoke German with her. So, she learned English a lot faster. I didn't actually learn English until the summer before kindergarten when we moved to a neighborhood with lots of children.
Usually comes down to "setze auf, bitte" and "was ist los?"
dbslas 06:23 PM 10-16-2013
Originally Posted by Michelle:

let me guess...
on Saturday and Sunday you can speak 100% English?

by Friday, I am down to 60 % English and 40% sighs and shaking my head.
I know a handful of Spanish, a little bit of sign language, and I am fluent in wh-i-i-i-n-i-n-g
Meeko 01:16 PM 10-17-2013
I speak English English and I have American English down pretty well now after 33 years here.....

I also speak Toddler Gibberish fairly well.............
Meeko 03:16 PM 10-17-2013
I have an English friend who is married to a Frenchman and they live in France. IN their home they all only speak English. OUTSIDE their home they all only speak French. Their three kids grew up completely bi-lingual.
daycare 03:51 PM 10-17-2013
well my first language is Arabic. BUT I do not get many opportunities to speak it very much these days, that is unless I go back to my home country. DOn't even ask me to read it these days.....lol

I do speak English too but it's kind of bad.....lol

I speak a little bit of spanish, but also not too well. I do count in spanish every day and we sing songs in a few different languages, but that is all that I really know.

I have a pretty diverse group and I try to learn songs to teach everyone from their home country.
Cradle2crayons 04:03 PM 10-17-2013
I speak English and Spanish and redneck English haha.

I speak English and Spanish with my kids and the daycare kids. My own two kids can speak both fluently but this group of daycare kids aren't fluent in Spanish yet. We are still working on single words at a time lol. If I get me as infants, by the time they start school, they are fluent though.

We have a HUGE Mexican population here due to the chicken plant and other factory and construction jobs so when I need Simone adult to speak Spanish with, it's not hard to find. I have a few friends that are married to Spanish speaking guys and they are fluent also.

It was DEFINATELY easier for my own kids to learn both English and Spanish at the same time than it was for ME to learn it. I learned it fluently in jr high, high school, and college. Bt it took me a lot more time than it did my own kids.

But of course, when the kids get into trouble, instead of breaking into Spanish, I break into redneck English
daycare 04:30 PM 10-17-2013
this made me laugh....redneck english.....lol
Angelsj 08:03 PM 10-17-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:

I speak English and Spanish with my kids and the daycare kids. My own two kids can speak both fluently but this group of daycare kids aren't fluent in Spanish yet. We are still working on single words at a time lol. If I get me as infants, by the time they start school, they are fluent though.

We have a HUGE Mexican population here due to the chicken plant and other factory and construction jobs so when I need Simone adult to speak Spanish with, it's not hard to find. I have a few friends that are married to Spanish speaking guys and they are fluent also.

It was DEFINATELY easier for my own kids to learn both English and Spanish at the same time than it was for ME to learn it. I learned it fluently in jr high, high school, and college. Bt it took me a lot more time than it did my own kids.

But of course, when the kids get into trouble, instead of breaking into Spanish, I break into redneck English
I find that breaking out the Spanish works. They seem to respond better to Spanish orders... Bajate mijo!!
Angelsj 08:06 PM 10-17-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
well my first language is Arabic. BUT I do not get many opportunities to speak it very much these days, that is unless I go back to my home country. DOn't even ask me to read it these days.....lol

I do speak English too but it's kind of bad.....lol

I speak a little bit of spanish, but also not too well. I do count in spanish every day and we sing songs in a few different languages, but that is all that I really know.

I have a pretty diverse group and I try to learn songs to teach everyone from their home country.
I would love to speak Arabic.
Sunshine74 09:36 PM 10-17-2013
I speak American English, but I do know some Spanish, due to taking it through middle and high school, and two semesters in college. I understand more then I can speak or read. It came in handy though when we had a DCG (2.5) who spoke fluent Spanish. She loved that I understood a lot of what she said, and could sometimes answer her in Spanish.

I also know a bit of ASL.
Snapdragon 06:06 PM 10-18-2013
I speak British and American English, used to speak Belgian French and some German. Sadly, my French and German are very rusty now.
pandamom 11:09 PM 10-18-2013
Korean was my first language but when we PCS'd back to the states (mid/late '80s) the kids made fun of me so my mom stopped speaking Korean to me and I lost it

I speak enough German to get around and order things. I include counting to 10 and singing the alphabet in German in circle time

We have some Spanish speaking children, so we include some Spanish vocab too.

I have had some tri and quad lingual children. I did notice in the 2 year olds that it may take them a minute to process what's being said because of all the languages in their head But I am sooo jealous of them!
Fjordbak 02:29 AM 10-19-2013
My native language is Danish. Beside that I am also fluent in English and Spanish, and can speak Swedish, Norwegian, and German, and understand Dutch.

In the Danish school system there is a lot of focus on foreign languages, my oldest son (9 years) just started in 3rd grade and is learning English now. They will change the schedules so next year when my twins (aged 6) will be in 1st grade they will start having English lessons.

I am very grateful for the language proficiency that I have, it really means the world to me to be able to communicate with friends from all over the world, and I hope to pass that on to my kids

Rikke
jenn 08:24 AM 10-19-2013
English only.
safechner 05:15 PM 10-19-2013
My first language is Pidgin sign language. I am not full of American Sign language but my oldest daughter is. I speak second language English. I do know some speak Spanish and It was hard to learn because of accent.
Michelle 07:20 AM 10-20-2013
Originally Posted by Fjordbak:
My native language is Danish. Beside that I am also fluent in English and Spanish, and can speak Swedish, Norwegian, and German, and understand Dutch.

In the Danish school system there is a lot of focus on foreign languages, my oldest son (9 years) just started in 3rd grade and is learning English now. They will change the schedules so next year when my twins (aged 6) will be in 1st grade they will start having English lessons.

I am very grateful for the language proficiency that I have, it really means the world to me to be able to communicate with friends from all over the world, and I hope to pass that on to my kids

Rikke
Awesome!

ColorfulSunburst 09:55 AM 10-20-2013
fluent Russian, poor English (try to imрrove)
playground1 12:51 PM 06-05-2014
Wow, what an interesting thread!
daycare 12:55 PM 06-05-2014
Originally Posted by ColorfulSunburst:
fluent Russian, poor English (try to imрrove)
come here you will improve....I have. or at least I am being told I have.

It's one thing to speak english verbally, its a whole different thing when you have to do it by typing it out. I still have a hard time sometimes with jokes and things that happened before I come here, but I am getting it.......

keep on here and you will get it too
SignMeUp 01:50 PM 06-05-2014
I speak English only, and know only a smattering of words in other languages: German, Spanish, a bit more French.
I've had kids who spoke only Swedish, only German, and only Espanol at home. They separate out the languages amazingly well at an early age. One of my fellows who spoke only Spanish at home taught me a few words, starting when he was 18 months old. He knew he was teaching me too
Another (4 yrs old when he began) got playfully upset with me for speaking Spanish to him, once he had his English in place fairly well.
My kids who spoke only Swedish lived in Sweden for a year in the middle of their time at my childcare, and attended Swedish school and preschool. They came back and went right back into English without missing a beat.
And one little fellow who went to Guatemala with his dad every summer, couldn't speak at all when he came back - lasted about three weeks. He was in language shock, apparently. And then everything was fine.
Language is so interesting, even how kids acquire their primary language. They do it in so many different ways.
Michelle 01:59 PM 06-05-2014
I now speak Pig Latin
When discussing with my dh where we are going to take them on a field trip and they can pick up on it in a heartbeat!

Chellieleanne 02:09 PM 06-05-2014
Fluent:
English.
Sarcasm.
Pig Latin.

Enough to have a short convo:
Spanish
ASL alphabet and a handful of signs.

DH speaks Spanish but won't speak to our kids I have to know some to converse with his family. It is funny how me and his mom communicate mix of my broken Spanish and English with her Spanish and using simple words but we make it work
debbiedoeszip 04:20 PM 06-05-2014
English and some French.

When I was a kid, I was fluent in French (I was in the French Immersion program at school), but it's gotten rusty. I can understand French that is spoken to me, but attempting a French response is somewhat difficult. I wish that I could move somewhere that is predominantly French speaking so that I could regain my fluency.
KidGrind 04:54 PM 06-05-2014
I speak English.

I know some Arabic, thanks to my Egyptian best friend and an ex. I comprehend Spanish and speak a little due to a life in California, Rosetta Stone and family.
sahm1225 06:19 PM 06-05-2014
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:

How do you get the daycare kids to learn Spanish? We do Spanish Monday where we do classes and learn new words. The kids have some phrases memorized but that's it.

I speak Spanish fluently (and can read & write it). My husband only speaks English & has no desire to learn Spanish (he's crazy!). I know that being fluent in Spanish opened a lot of doors for me with employers and I would love to have my kids know Spanish.
llpa 06:39 PM 06-05-2014
Fluent in English but it is sloooowly degrading into toddler gibberish I can count in English Spanish French and Taiwanese. I know some words inTaiwanese and Spanish. Can carry on a conversation in French. And when I was growing up, I said my prayers every night in Russian. My Dad's parents came to America from Russia also, my husband's family came here from Scotland and I can speak a pretty good Scottish accent lassies
Michelle 06:46 AM 06-06-2014
Originally Posted by KidGrind:
I speak English.

I know some Arabic, thanks to my Egyptian best friend and an ex. I comprehend Spanish and speak a little due to a life in California, Rosetta Stone and family.
that's so cute!
I know some spanish due to my life in California!!!

my own kids are learning German
Tags:language, language barrier, sign language
Reply Up