Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Toddler Art Supplies
mamamanda 03:43 PM 03-06-2016
What art supplies do you make available to your younger toddlers? Like 18mo-2yo. Mine color quite a bit and I occasionally help with gluing a craft together, but beyond that I'm not sure what to offer. With this age group I only offer art supplies during art time since they haven't learned how to clean up on their own yet or to keep things out of their mouths, but if I put a bucket of supplies out on the table while I'm supervising directly, what would you suggest? I'm definitely thinking they need more opportunities to work with markers and paint. Anything else?
Ariana 03:52 PM 03-06-2016
I do crayons, markers, small paint brushes, sponges for painting, chaulk on black paper and bits of cut up paper and ribbon for collage. I usually put the glue all over the paper for them and then they add their own collage material. Glue is hard to control at that age!
mamamanda 03:56 PM 03-06-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I do crayons, markers, small paint brushes, sponges for painting, chaulk on black paper and bits of cut up paper and ribbon for collage. I usually put the glue all over the paper for them and then they add their own collage material. Glue is hard to control at that age!
Oooh! I like the collage idea. Thanks!
jenboo 04:03 PM 03-06-2016
Chalk, finger paints, play dough
racemom 06:36 PM 03-06-2016
Do a dot paints, solid tempra paint sticks, painting with q-tips and dabs of paint (keeps more control of paint). Redi-whip painting or just playing on table with it.
Jazzii 06:38 PM 03-06-2016
We do a lot of small group arts and crafts. The ones we use daily are: Paint, crayons (usually for morning free play they pick to do this), shaving cream and puffy paint.

We also use glitter (which I personally hate lol), tissue paper, glue, paint brushes, we've done painting with cotton balls, legos, etc
Josiegirl 02:52 AM 03-07-2016
Sooo stealing the redi-whip painting idea!!!!
Thriftylady 06:26 AM 03-07-2016
Glue sponges!!! Love them even for my older kiddos.
Leigh 07:23 AM 03-07-2016
Sidewalk chalk is always available to all ages outdoors. All indoor art supplies are permission only. If they want them outside of art time, they can have them, but must ask for them.
Unregistered 03:20 AM 03-08-2016
Two's are allowed to get out markers and play doh on their own.

Washable markers

Washable tempera paint

Crayola "BIG" watercolor paints - these have four large colors-red, blue, green, & yellow. They last a long time and are nice and bright and come with a nice sized brush! I've only seen them in school supply catalogs. I like discount school supply best.

We paint with dry kool-aid and water a lot! Just sprinkle on unsweetened KA and paint with water! Yum! Smells great and transforms right before their eyes. I cut out shapes to paint on at times, like a flower or butterfly.

Play dough is almost always an option. My toddlers don't normally get it out on their own but the older kids have that option.

I love glitter and buy pre-made glitter paint or add my own glitter. I also use regular glitter. I tape over all but one or two holes and then they can shake and shake and very little comes out.

Bingo daubers on paper plates

I let all the kids use glue bottles. Elmer's comes out at a slow enough rate. I set out a cut out shape and they use collage materials to it. Around Valentine's Day I cut out pink and red "love" birds and they decorated it with pink and purple feathers, Pom pons, ribbon, etc.
mamamanda 10:55 AM 03-08-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Glue sponges!!! Love them even for my older kiddos.
What are glue sponges?
Tags:art supplies, art supplies - toddler, supplies list, toddler art
Reply Up