Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>20 Min Nap Is Driving Me Crazy!!
Auntie'sHouse 02:26 PM 12-17-2012
I had this dcb from 4 months til now, 16 months and he would nap for 20 minutes max and then get up. Never a moments rest. Someone mentioned soundscapes to me. A cable channel that plays soft music. Now suddenly he sleeps over 1 hr but less than 2. (sigh) finally, a break! I wish I had figured this out sooner.
grandmom 02:48 PM 12-17-2012
My little 8-mo old was doing that. I just ignore him during nap time. He goes back to sleep. They aren't born with the ability to self-soothe and put them selves back to sleep. They need us to ignore them long enough so that they are successful.
MissAnn 03:11 PM 12-17-2012
Originally Posted by Auntie'sHouse:
I had this dcb from 4 months til now, 16 months and he would nap for 20 minutes max and then get up. Never a moments rest. Someone mentioned soundscapes to me. A cable channel that plays soft music. Now suddenly he sleeps over 1 hr but less than 2. (sigh) finally, a break! I wish I had figured this out sooner.
I downloaded Native American Flutes from iTunes. I play this same music every day. As soon as the kids hear the music they start getting sleepy. Well, all but one 3 year old that asks every day why do we have to take a nap. LOL She falls asleep within about 20 minutes though
Heidi 04:06 PM 12-17-2012
Originally Posted by grandmom:
My little 8-mo old was doing that. I just ignore him during nap time. He goes back to sleep. They aren't born with the ability to self-soothe and put them selves back to sleep. They need us to ignore them long enough so that they are successful.
I agree. Everyone goes through sleep cycles, but young children don't automatically move back into a deeper cycle on their own right away. So, they rouse and they think it's time to get up.

One thing I've noticed with most of mine-if they are crying, they're still tired!

I always give it a good 5 minutes before I go in, and if it's still nap time, I lay them back down and whisper "it's still nap time, sweetie, go back to sleep". It's pretty rare that a few days of that doesn't work.
Reply Up