Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do you charge for school days off?
Auntie'sHouse 06:24 AM 01-23-2013
This one is hard to figure out for some reason. I have a child that I drive to and from school so it's before and after care. What happens on the days there is no school and the parents stay home with the child? Do I still charge like I do everyone else who is full time?
canadiancare 06:30 AM 01-23-2013
I don't keep school aged children but if I did then I would have it in my contract that the rate of pay is based on hours in care. So one rate for before/after school and one rate for full day.- are you equipped to keep a school aged child all day and stay within legal ratios?
lil angels 06:38 AM 01-23-2013
I charge my drop in rate minus what they already have to pay for after school care.
Blackcat31 06:40 AM 01-23-2013
Absolutely you should charge for anything beyond what you normally provide.

I only keep kids through their Kindergarten year. After that I don't take them.

The one DCG I have in Kindy now comes before and after school for one flat weekly rate.

If she has an early release day or a no school day, I charge for that time in addition to her flat weekly rate.
daycarediva 06:46 AM 01-23-2013
My before and after school rates are $15/day, or $75 week flat rate. If there is a half day, it is an additional $5. If there is no school that day, it is an additional $15. Summer/week long breaks are $150. HTH.
mom2many 07:33 AM 01-23-2013
I have been watching S/A for years. Usually they start with me as infants or toddlers and continue on when school starts. I used to charge a lower rate for just before/after school and the f/t rate when school was out.

5 years ago, I decided to charge a slightly higher rate whether school is in session or not. There were so many in service days and holidays that it made it easier. I charge $40 for the whole day & $30 for before and after and this has worked out well for me.
Auntie'sHouse 07:33 AM 01-23-2013
okay so blackcat31....for ur dcg u charge a flat rate weekly but if theres no school and the parents decide to keep her home do u still charge for the day?
Blackcat31 07:41 AM 01-23-2013
Originally Posted by Auntie'sHouse:
okay so blackcat31....for ur dcg u charge a flat rate weekly but if theres no school and the parents decide to keep her home do u still charge for the day?
Nope. I charge this DCG $50 flat rate per week.

Yesterday, there was no school. (unplanned) The parents kept her home so they are only required to pay the $50.

Last week, there was no school one day (planned) The parents scheduled the DCG and brought her. They paid the $50 PLUS they paid $30 extra dollars for the full day she was here.

Had they scheduled her and cancelled, I would still have charged for the day.

If they simply decide to not schedule her on a no school day, I don't charge.

Hope that helps
DaisyMamma 07:42 AM 01-23-2013
Originally Posted by lil angels:
I charge my drop in rate minus what they already have to pay for after school care.
Same here. I do give the weekly FT rate during vacations.
BumbleBee 07:43 AM 01-23-2013
Yep I do.

I have 1 after schooler. Reg weekly charge is $40 for just afterschool.

Full days off from school are an additional $25, 1/2 days are an additional $15.

I don't charge for 2 hr delays in the am.
Meyou 07:44 AM 01-23-2013
I charge school agers $100/week flat fee for the school year with any non-school days carrying an extra $10/day charge. So they pay more for non-school days regardless if they are here or not.
Auntie'sHouse 07:44 AM 01-23-2013
Originally Posted by mom2many:
I have been watching S/A for years. Usually they start with me as infants or toddlers and continue on when school starts. I used to charge a lower rate for just before/after school and the f/t rate when school was out.

5 years ago, I decided to charge a slightly higher rate whether school is in session or not. There were so many in service days and holidays that it made it easier. I charge $40 for the whole day & $30 for before and after and this has worked out well for me.

thats exactly what i charge.... but do u still charge when the before and after care child has no school and stays home with the parents??
Auntie'sHouse 07:53 AM 01-23-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Nope. I charge this DCG $50 flat rate per week.

Yesterday, there was no school. (unplanned) The parents kept her home so they are only required to pay the $50.

Last week, there was no school one day (planned) The parents scheduled the DCG and brought her. They paid the $50 PLUS they paid $30 extra dollars for the full day she was here.

Had they scheduled her and cancelled, I would still have charged for the day.

If they simply decide to not schedule her on a no school day, I don't charge.

Hope that helps
okay lol, so i charge $50 weekly as well. there was no school for 2 days and the parents kept the child home. so i should still be getting the $50? and what about when theres a week off from school and the dcb only comes for before n after sch care so he stays home all week....do i still charge for the week????
Blackcat31 07:55 AM 01-23-2013
okay lol, so i charge $50 weekly as well. there was no school for 2 days and the parents kept the child home. so i should still be getting the $50? and what about when theres a week off from school and the dcb only comes for before n after sch care so he stays home all week....do i still charge for the week????
Yep, the $50 is due EVERY week regardless of whether there is or isn't school.

So in your scenario, the parent would owe you $50 for both those weeks.

I explain to the parents that they aren't paying for actually attendance. They are paying to make sure the space is always there for them, whether or not they use it.
Auntie'sHouse 08:34 AM 01-23-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Yep, the $50 is due EVERY week regardless of whether there is or isn't school.

So in your scenario, the parent would owe you $50 for both those weeks.

I explain to the parents that they aren't paying for actually attendance. They are paying to make sure the space is always there for them, whether or not they use it.
Thank you!!!! now I dont feel so bad....
mom2many 08:42 AM 01-23-2013
thats exactly what i charge.... but do u still charge when the before and after care child has no school and stays home with the parents??
Yes, they pay for the spot regardless of whether they come or not.
Auntie'sHouse 08:50 AM 01-23-2013
Originally Posted by mom2many:
Yes, they pay for the spot regardless of whether they come or not.
thanks for ur help!!!
Reply Up