Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>20 Month Old in Pack n Play or Cot?
Sprouts 09:11 AM 09-23-2012
I am just signing on a 20 month old girl who at home still sleeps in a crib but the parents would like for me to transition her into a cot over her? I personally feel if they haven't transitioned her at home yet, she would not be ready for it here and I really dont want to have to deal with it =/

When do most of you transition into a cot from pack n play?
bluemoose_mom 09:29 AM 09-23-2012
I have an 18 month old dck who I transitioned at 14 months, at home she is still in a crib. It took a good week or two for her to "get it" but redirecting back to cot worked.

I have a 13 month old dck who I don't think will benready before 24 months (he wanders, will not even stay in my toy packed yard longer than 5 minutes).

It depends on the child, but I don't think it matters if they've transitioned at home or not. Nap sleep is different than bedtime sleep.

I would try it for two weeks, but if there is no improvement, put her back in pnp, and try again in a month with insistence that she be transitioned at home first.

Just my two cents.
Crazy8 09:35 AM 09-23-2012
If I am starting them at that age I go straight to the cot (or mat in my case). I don't even bother with the pnp. I often transition here before at home and its never been an issue. I'd rather do it while its brand new than have to transition them a few months after they start.
momofsix 09:40 AM 09-23-2012
I think since she's just starting with you, it's the perfect time to introduce her to the cot. That way that will be all she knows at your house. I think it would be much easier than trying to transition her later after being in a pnp for you.
I usually transition out of a pnp way before parents are even thinking about switching from a crib!
jojosmommy 10:22 AM 09-23-2012
I personally think it depends on the child and more importantly "how used" to limits/guidlines. My own son slept in a big bed at 18 months day and night and never snuck out. Never even got out in the AM. He yelled for us to come get him until well after 2.

I just termed a dck who was 2.5 and still in a pnp. I termed for other reasons but the kid had NO LIMITS at home, no yard boundaries, no social/food boundaries. I tried once and a while to transition her to see if she was ready. Never worked and I know it's becuase the concept of boundaries were never introduced/follow through at home.

I would start her on a cot and see where it goes. Since its all new she may just stay without any resistance. If not after a week or so do the pnp. Tell mom you are doing what works at dck and she can do what works at home.
DaisyMamma 03:41 PM 09-23-2012
It does depend on the child. I have a 2.5 year old who is in a PNP because he is so so so immature. I have a 20 mo who would tear the place apart if he were on a cot.
I have a 2.5 year old who has used a cot since he started at 2 years.
I like pnp and actually prefer them.
Sprouts 05:58 PM 09-23-2012
The only issue I see is that my nap room also has toys as well that she might be too tempted to play with. I will put the cot next to the pnp, and see what happens. Thank you!
Kim 06:49 PM 09-23-2012
I usually transition around 18-24 months depending on the child. Being so close to 2yrs I would just start on the cot rather than have to transition again in a few months. I currently have a 3 yr old that has napped on a cot from day 1 since he started with me at 19 months. He's still in a crib at home.
Blackcat31 08:53 AM 09-24-2012
I have 5 kids here (14 mos, newly 2 yrs old and three 2-2.5 yr olds) who all sleep in a crib at home but have been on sleep mats here since age 12 months.

I guess I have never paid any attention to whether they are still in cribs/PNP's at home or not. I nap them where and how I need to while here.
Reply Up