Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Using The Ferber Method For Sleep Training
Unregistered 06:53 AM 07-26-2013
I have a 4 months old who sleeps 15-45 minutes at a time,although most naps are only 25 minutes and we are lucky to get a 45 minute nap. I suggested to DCM trying CIO and the Ferber method. How long would you allow an infant to cry after waking 25 minutes into nap before picking up and ending nap time?
MarinaVanessa 07:17 AM 07-26-2013
I don't do CIO on infants or any child under 1yo. CIO has been linked to cause a whole bunch of issues both emotional and physical later in life if an infant is left to CIO for extended periods of time. Infants are forming their secure attachments during this time of their lives and if they are left to CIO they may just lose hope that their needs will be met and never make those connections.

It's common misconception that Ferber means CIO. Ferberizing actually is laying the infant down while the infant is awake and then soothing the infant then walking away then prolonging the time that you are away. At first its just a minute or two and then you can add an extra minute etc. If the infant cries you wait a bit before returning and sooth again without picking the infant up. I wouldn't leave an infant to cry with or without me in the room for longer than 15 minutes. Crying for infants means stress and/or distress and ignoring an infant's crying can make it worse.

The time that you leave the infant to cry can also depend on the infant itself. Some children are needier than others and need more reassurance. Also some just have different sleeping needs. No child is the same.
Willow 07:32 AM 07-26-2013
Ferber himself acknowledges CIO the way most parents interpret it is damaging.

He has said no baby should just be left to bawl alone for endless amounts of time is nothing he'd ever endorse.

Investigate why the infant is crying (pain, reflux, trouble regulating body temp which makes them uncomfortably hot or cold, naturally jumpy and jittery, sensitive to noise etc). If none of those are causing the baby to legitimately awaken early then you can look into sleep training.

No amount of "Ferberizing" or sleep training will cure this problem though if there is an underlying problem.
butterfly 08:36 AM 07-26-2013
Maybe it's acid reflux. My son went through this when he was a baby. Elevating one end of the crib did wonders.
Unregistered 09:03 AM 07-26-2013
Possibly could be that infant startles easily, but also when baby wakes up, immediate response is to cry and fuss. What do I do if the child just startles easily?
Starburst 10:27 AM 07-26-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I don't do CIO on infants or any child under 1yo. CIO has been linked to cause a whole bunch of issues both emotional and physical later in life if an infant is left to CIO for extended periods of time. Infants are forming their secure attachments during this time of their lives and if they are left to CIO they may just lose hope that their needs will be met and never make those connections.

I have taken classes taught by both child development experts and nurses and they both say to never let a young infant to CIO because they are still in the stage of Trust vs. Mistrust (Erikson) of parents/caregivers and they may grow to distrust their caregivers. That is also their only means of communication (crying), so usually they are trying to tell you that they are hungry, soiled, or just lonely/bored.

A toddler over the age of 2 who can talk, that is a different story....
MarinaVanessa 12:42 PM 07-26-2013
Originally Posted by Starburst:

I have taken classes taught by both child development experts and nurses and they both say to never let a young infant to CIO because they are still in the stage of Trust vs. Mistrust (Erikson) of parents/caregivers and they may grow to distrust their caregivers. That is also their only means of communication (crying), so usually they are trying to tell you that they are hungry, soiled, or just lonely/bored.

A toddler over the age of 2 who can talk, that is a different story....

Oneluckymom 12:53 PM 07-26-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Possibly could be that infant startles easily, but also when baby wakes up, immediate response is to cry and fuss. What do I do if the child just startles easily?
I had this issue with my new infant. She is almost 8 months now.

You need something for white noise. A fan or some light music that is ongoing during her rest time. This should help A LOT.

Hth
Unregistered 11:36 PM 07-26-2013
I have to say that there are sometimes when I believe that leaving an infant to cry is fine. I think it depends on the intensity of the cry, among other factors. I have had babies in my care who always fuss before they fall asleep, whether I am holding them or not. Since that is the case, it seems to me that it is perfectly fine to put them in their crib to do their fussing. Some need to fuss as they calm down as a way to expel their pent up energy.
Everything we do with a child is affecting their development of a trust/mistrust of their environment. If we are responsive with our feeding and cooing and diaper changes and snuggles, I truly believe the infants can handle periods in their day when they are self soothing or even just on their own and crying a bit.
Starburst 12:03 AM 07-27-2013
I have to say that there are sometimes when I believe that leaving an infant to cry is fine. I think it depends on the intensity of the cry, among other factors. I have had babies in my care who always fuss before they fall asleep, whether I am holding them or not. Since that is the case, it seems to me that it is perfectly fine to put them in their crib to do their fussing. Some need to fuss as they calm down as a way to expel their pent up energy.
Everything we do with a child is affecting their development of a trust/mistrust of their environment. If we are responsive with our feeding and cooing and diaper changes and snuggles, I truly believe the infants can handle periods in their day when they are self soothing or even just on their own and crying a bit.
I am saying not to ignore the baby when they start crying, if its been a while and you changed them/fed them/burped them/held them and otherwise done everything in your power to help them be comfortable and they are still acting fussy after a long time (at least 15-30 minutes) then yes I would try to leave them alone for a while to see if they sooth themselves, but I would only use that as a last option if nothing else helps or if I knew that is what that particular infant is like.
Familycare71 08:21 AM 07-27-2013

Familycare71 08:24 AM 07-27-2013
I swaddle... It helps- and with just a thin receiving blanket. Also I believe babies do need to learn to put themselves to sleep. I don't do this until they are about 4 months old-
I agree too with white noise-
I am putting a ceiling fan in the room where kids nap as well to help w younger ones
Unregistered 08:46 AM 07-27-2013
Originally Posted by Christie71:
I swaddle... It helps- and with just a thin receiving blanket. Also I believe babies do need to learn to put themselves to sleep. I don't do this until they are about 4 months old-
I agree too with white noise-
I am putting a ceiling fan in the room where kids nap as well to help w younger ones
Swaddling in a receiving blanket is considered dangerous, and NOT recommended. Children under 12 months should NEVER have a blanket in their crib. NOTHING but a sheet.

I would recommend stopping this practice immediately to protect yourself. I have a new DCM who recently lost her child AFTER the supposed "6-month window" for SIDS had passed. Her provider was told no blankets allowed, provider used blanket anyway, child suffocated because of blanket. You do NOT want this happening at your home, I am sure. People always think it's safe until it happens to them.
Cradle2crayons 09:39 AM 07-27-2013
Swaddling in a receiving blanket is considered dangerous, and NOT recommended. Children under 12 months should NEVER have a blanket in their crib. NOTHING but a sheet.

I would recommend stopping this practice immediately to protect yourself. I have a new DCM who recently lost her child AFTER the supposed "6-month window" for SIDS had passed. Her provider was told no blankets allowed, provider used blanket anyway, child suffocated because of blanket. You do NOT want this happening at your home, I am sure. People always think it's safe until it happens to them.
Unregistered, where are you getting your information?? Research indicates that swaddling actually reduces the chance of SIDS, as long as the baby is placed flat on their back as they should be anyway.

Here is the info::

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2768591/
Hunni Bee 09:41 AM 07-27-2013

Swaddling and just placing a blanket in the crib are not the same thing, are they?

My daughter is in intensive care and she's always swaddled. She's not sick and not moving around either...shes as active as any other newborn. They told me to get a swaddling blanket for her when she comes home....

UtahMomma 11:17 AM 07-27-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:372889:

It's common misconception that Ferber means CIO. Ferberizing actually is laying the infant down while the infant is awake and then soothing the infant then walking away then prolonging the time that you are away. At first its just a minute or two and then you can add an extra minute etc. If the infant cries you wait a bit before returning and sooth again without picking the infant up. I wouldn't leave an infant to cry with or without me in the room for longer than 15 minutes. Crying for infants means stress and/or distress and ignoring an infant's crying can make it worse.

The time that you leave the infant to cry can also depend on the infant itself. Some children are needier than others and need more reassurance. Also some just have different sleeping needs. No child is the same.
This!
Familycare71 12:00 PM 07-27-2013
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
Swaddling and just placing a blanket in the crib are not the same thing, are they?

My daughter is in intensive care and she's always swaddled. She's not sick and not moving around either...shes as active as any other newborn. They told me to get a swaddling blanket for her when she comes home....

Lol- ill just let unregistered pass... . Swaddling is supported by Dr's... And it does help infants feel safe and secure. I am carefule to not allow the baby to overheat tho
Familycare71 12:01 PM 07-27-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
Unregistered, where are you getting your information?? Research indicates that swaddling actually reduces the chance of SIDS, as long as the baby is placed flat on their back as they should be anyway.

Here is the info::

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2768591/

Unregistered 12:48 PM 07-27-2013

I'm in ca, were not allowed to swaddle
Cradle2crayons 02:47 PM 07-27-2013
Being not allowed to swaddle is one thing (although ve never heard of that rule before) but saying that its dangerous and increases the risk of SIDS is just the kind of misinformation that upsets new mothers.
Familycare71 04:47 PM 07-27-2013
Being not allowed to swaddle is one thing (although ve never heard of that rule before) but saying that its dangerous and increases the risk of SIDS is just the kind of misinformation that upsets new mothers.
. I agree!!
nannyde 06:01 PM 07-27-2013
We are not allowed to have blankets in the bed in Iowa. Swaddling with a blanket would get you in serious trouble here.

I don't swaddle and the babies sleep GREAT. I use sleep sacks with mitted hands.

You CAN care for babies and have excellent sleeping without swaddling.
Cradle2crayons 06:19 PM 07-27-2013
Originally Posted by nannyde:
We are not allowed to have blankets in the bed in Iowa. Swaddling with a blanket would get you in serious trouble here.

I don't swaddle and the babies sleep GREAT. I use sleep sacks with mitted hands.

A blanket "in" the crib also isn't the same as swaddling. You can even swaddle with one of those swaddle things that isn't even a blanket at all. So since it isn't a blanket, technically, maybe that would work.

And sorry, but sleep sacks with kitted hands is pretty much even more a "blanket" than a swaddling cloth.

And I don't thi anyone ever said you couldn't care for a baby without swaddling?? Unless maybe I missed a post somewhere??
MyAngels 06:24 PM 07-27-2013

The problem with swaddling is that it's so easy to do it incorrectly. By the time babies are old enough for childcare they are also at the age where they begin turning over, which has the potential to be disastrous if they are swaddled.

Swaddling incorrectly has also been shown to lead to hip dysplasia. http://aapnews.aappublications.org/c...a-ac525b694b4d

Practicing it with your own children is not the same as doing it in childcare. I'd much rather be safe than sorry when it comes to other people's children.
nannyde 06:51 PM 07-27-2013
A blanket "in" the crib also isn't the same as swaddling. You can even swaddle with one of those swaddle things that isn't even a blanket at all. So since it isn't a blanket, technically, maybe that would work.

And sorry, but sleep sacks with kitted hands is pretty much even more a "blanket" than a swaddling cloth.

And I don't thi anyone ever said you couldn't care for a baby without swaddling?? Unless maybe I missed a post somewhere??
How is mitted hands a blanket mote than a swaddling blanketed? The mitted hands move with the childs hands. I've never had mitted hands become loose. I've never had a back sleeping baby be able to lay their head against the material over the hands.

Having a sleep sack that fits the baby body with mitted hands isn't any different than having a baby in clothes sleeping.
nannyde 06:52 PM 07-27-2013

I'm saying swaddling is completely unnecessary imho.
Cradle2crayons 08:18 PM 07-27-2013
How is mitted hands a blanket mote than a swaddling blanketed? The mitted hands move with the childs hands. I've never had mitted hands become loose. I've never had a back sleeping baby be able to lay their head against the material over the hands.

Having a sleep sack that fits the baby body with mitted hands isn't any different than having a baby in clothes sleeping.
If its no different then why do it?? Just curious??
Cradle2crayons 08:20 PM 07-27-2013
I'm saying swaddling is completely unnecessary imho.
Some babies like to be swaddled. Some don't. If it helps them and you do it correctly, it shouldn't be a problem??

If the sleep sack idea is supposed to be better than swaddling, but yet it's no different than clothes, how does it help? Also, just curious??
nannyde 09:07 PM 07-27-2013
Some babies like to be swaddled. Some don't. If it helps them and you do it correctly, it shouldn't be a problem??

If the sleep sack idea is supposed to be better than swaddling, but yet it's no different than clothes, how does it help? Also, just curious??
Warm hands ....cool room :-)

breathe cool... feel warm

Now THATS what babies dig
nannyde 09:08 PM 07-27-2013
If its no different then why do it?? Just curious??
Safety wise having a sleep sack on their body isn't any different than having clothes on.
Familycare71 10:02 PM 07-27-2013
Lol- it was just a suggestion...
I swaddle, I'm allowed to... It works for the babies I care for. Parents are aware.
And on a side note: I actually was taught how to swaddle a baby like they do in the hospital by a pediatrician . Those peeps can swaddle!!

But anyway- if you don't feel comfortable or aren't allowed to then don't
Cradle2crayons 09:31 AM 07-28-2013
Originally Posted by Christie71:
Lol- it was just a suggestion...
I swaddle, I'm allowed to... It works for the babies I care for. Parents are aware.
And on a side note: I actually was taught how to swaddle a baby like they do in the hospital by a pediatrician . Those peeps can swaddle!!

But anyway- if you don't feel comfortable or aren't allowed to then don't
Lol if I had taken a video of my husband attempting to swaddle our daughter and the resulting breakout... And posted it to YouTube... I'd be a millionaire haha
Familycare71 11:09 AM 07-28-2013
Lol if I had taken a video of my husband attempting to swaddle our daughter and the resulting breakout... And posted it to YouTube... I'd be a millionaire haha
I bet!!! Lol maybe a video just for me?? Hahaha
Crystal 03:23 PM 07-28-2013
I am in Ca. as well and have never heard of this. Can you please post a link to this regulation?
MarinaVanessa 12:26 AM 07-29-2013
I'm in CA also and was wondering about this also. I just had an unannounced inspection and I have an infant that sleeps better when swaddled and he was here during the inspection. My analist watched me swaddle him and put him in the P&P and didn't mention anything ... But then again all analists vary in opinion when they interpret the regulations and this changes county to county but where I am we have never heard of this ????
Cradle2crayons 02:50 AM 07-29-2013
Warm hands ....cool room :-)

breathe cool... feel warm

Now THATS what babies dig
I'm sure some babies would interpret that as very womb like... But my two and several dck I know..would scream bloody murder in that type of contraption...

SOME babies are very hot natured.

My daughter was so hot natured even as newborn we'd have to open the outside vents in her room in the middle of the winter, close her heating duct vents from the rest of the house, and we would have to use the heat to keep from being cold.... And she'd almost still be too hot. And that was her NOT swaddled.

And me and husband are two of the most hot natured people I know.

So unless the house was 40 degrees, that would have never floated with some kids I know.

But of course, neither would swaddling. Some babies just don't like it at all!

Every baby is different.

And personally, if a particular baby prefers swaddling, it's generally because their arms etc are kept immobile and secure, thus eliminating their startle, and making them feel more "held". It doesn't have everything to do with being warm or cold but somewhat confined. A sleep sack with hands doesn't really do anything more than keep them warm.
nannyde 04:19 AM 07-29-2013
I'm sure some babies would interpret that as very womb like... But my two and several dck I know..would scream bloody murder in that type of contraption...

My daughter was so hot natured even as newborn we'd have to open the outside vents in her room in the middle of the winter, close her heating duct vents from the rest of the house, and we would have to use the heat to keep from being cold.... And she'd almost still be too hot. And that was her NOT swaddled.

So unless the house was 40 degrees, that would have never floated with some kids I know.

Every baby is different.

And personally, if a particular baby prefers swaddling, it's generally because their arms etc are kept immobile and secure, thus eliminating their startle, and making them feel more "held". It doesn't have everything to do with being warm or cold but somewhat confined. A sleep sack with hands doesn't really do anything more than keep them warm.
can you show me some swaddle gear that is not blankets or a contraption? I've only seen two irl and that was after our state said we are to have nothing in the bed with them.
Familycare71 04:38 AM 07-29-2013
can you show me some swaddle gear that is not blankets or a contraption? I've only seen two irl and that was after our state said we are to have nothing in the bed with them.
I feel like c2c is saying one has to do with warmth and one has to do with movement restriction...
I agree- like comparing apples and oranges.
nannyde 06:08 AM 07-29-2013
Originally Posted by Familycare71:
I feel like c2c is saying one has to do with warmth and one has to do with movement restriction...
I agree- like comparing apples and oranges.
I don't think it is apples to oranges but I may be missing something since I've only seen two swaddling devices and they were both blankets and contraptions. I'm trying to imagine what she is talking about.
nannyde 06:17 AM 07-29-2013

Every baby is different.

We can't operate at 40 degrees so that wouldn't work. I also didn't mention hot. I said warm.

I haven't had any issues in 20 years of babies needing their startle reaction managed. They all sleep thru it. I would be ok if they woke upthough. They go to bed wide aawake so putting themselves back to sleep from wide awake is their normal life.

I don't get the swaddling thing. I never have. I like them laying flat out in the horizontal Christ The Redeamer position. I can get a good view of their chest rising and falling when I do my nap rounds. I can see if their shoulders are moving with breaths. I like the full view for quick checks.
Willow 06:34 AM 07-29-2013
Absolutely nothing can be in the crib with baby in MN. That includes swaddling blankets and yes it's in the regs. You can be fined or worse for swaddling an infant.

I do the same as Nan. Sleep sacks offer warmth but are attached to the child just like an article of clothing so they pose no risk. Even if swaddling were allowed I wouldn't utilize it, the chance for error, especially when every child is different, just wouldn't be worth it to me.

I refuse to take infants who have become accustomed to swaddling because it's something I'm not allowed to offer here and consistency is so important in care. I too have never had a problem with the startle reflex keeping anybody up and parents report their lids are much better sleepers compared to other babies they know, they believe, because their child doesn't need any bells, whistles or tricks to slumber peacefully.
Willow 06:38 AM 07-29-2013
I'm sure some babies would interpret that as very womb like... But my two and several dck I know..would scream bloody murder in that type of contraption....

Curious why you call a sleep sack and mits a "contraption?"

Do you understand what they are?
suehelen 06:38 AM 07-29-2013
Nan- I've never understood the swaddling thing either. It doesn't really matter because we're not allowed to swaddle here in Michigan. No blankets, swaddling or otherwise, are to be in the crib/playpen with an infant under 1 year of age.

I put kids to bed wide awake. In all my years of child care, I've never had sleep issues with any of my kids. All of them take great naps and if they wake up in the middle of their rest, they soothe themselves back to sleep.
nannyde 06:39 AM 07-29-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
Absolutely nothing can be in the crib with baby in MN. That includes swaddling blankets and yes it's in the regs. You can be fined or worse for swaddling an infant.

I do the same as Nan. Sleep sacks offer warmth but are attached to the child just like an article of clothing so they pose no risk. Even if swaddling were allowed I wouldn't utilize it, the chance for error, especially when every child is different, just wouldn't be worth it to me.

I refuse to take infants who have become accustomed to swaddling because it's something I'm not allowed to offer here and consistency is so important in care. I too have never had a problem with the startle reflex keeping anybody up and parents report their lids are much better sleepers compared to other babies they know, they believe, because their child doesn't need any bells, whistles or tricks to slumber peacefully.
iowas says "Have no soft bedding, pillows, blankets, bumper pads, and stuffed animals in the crib"
Familycare71 06:39 AM 07-29-2013
We can't operate at 40 degrees so that wouldn't work. I also didn't mention hot. I said warm.

I haven't had any issues in 20 years of babies needing their startle reaction managed. They all sleep thru it. I would be ok if they woke upthough. They go to bed wide aawake so putting themselves back to sleep from wide awake is their normal life.

I don't get the swaddling thing. I never have. I like them laying flat out in the horizontal Christ The Redeamer position. I can get a good view of their chest rising and falling when I do my nap rounds. I can see if their shoulders are moving with breaths. I like the full view for quick checks.
Love the image that created.
nannyde 06:46 AM 07-29-2013
Curious why you call a sleep sack and mits a "contraption?"

Do you understand what they are?
Here is my all time fave torture contraption.
Attached: 20130729_084159.jpg (76.6 KB) 
Willow 06:50 AM 07-29-2013
Here is my all time fave torture contraption.
Oh that looks just horrifically uncomfortable!!!

You're such a meanie subjecting the kids in your care go such devices
Willow 06:52 AM 07-29-2013
Sorry for the snark c2c but do you really see those as "contraptions" that infants would hate??

If so that kind of floors me as I've yet to encounter a single baby who doesn't melt into them at naptime.
nannyde 07:06 AM 07-29-2013
Oh that looks just horrifically uncomfortable!!!

You're such a meanie subjecting the kids in your care go such devices
That one is really old too. My son is 13 and I had it long before him. I've had to have the zipper redone twice on it.

I would pay a ton of money to get more of them. They are from Healthtex and finding them on Ebay is really torture.

This one has thick material... sturdy neck that isn't so big they can put their hands up thru but big enough to give good neck room and room to put your fingers thru the neck to undo, big swatch of fabric at the snap neck, thick mitts that have a wide wrist opening when open. Lots of leg room for the kick a thon, and easy up zipper. Love it.

Oh the good ole days when they made great quality stuff.....
Crystal 07:42 AM 07-29-2013
Sorry for the snark c2c but do you really see those as "contraptions" that infants would hate??

If so that kind of floors me as I've yet to encounter a single baby who doesn't melt into them at naptime.
Good grief, no kidding! A sleep sack is basically clothing. It is not in the least bit uncomfortable, nor considered a contraption!

And, c2c, just an FYI, you can get them in different fabrics and thickness, so they do work for "hot" infants, and for all four seasons.
Willow 07:51 AM 07-29-2013
That one is really old too. My son is 13 and I had it long before him. I've had to have the zipper redone twice on it.

I would pay a ton of money to get more of them. They are from Healthtex and finding them on Ebay is really torture.

This one has thick material... sturdy neck that isn't so big they can put their hands up thru but big enough to give good neck room and room to put your fingers thru the neck to undo, big swatch of fabric at the snap neck, thick mitts that have a wide wrist opening when open. Lots of leg room for the kick a thon, and easy up zipper. Love it.

Oh the good ole days when they made great quality stuff.....
I'm going to start stalking eBay now.....the ones I have are vest style. I'd love to find long sleevers. Only long sleevers I've managed to find had open bottom pouches that I have to sew shut (leaves them functional, but ugly, and all are thin cotton as opposed to the nice fleece on the vest styles)
nannyde 08:22 AM 07-29-2013
I'm going to start stalking eBay now.....the ones I have are vest style. I'd love to find long sleevers. Only long sleevers I've managed to find had open bottom pouches that I have to sew shut (leaves them functional, but ugly, and all are thin cotton as opposed to the nice fleece on the vest styles)
There are about 20 bazillion key words used for them. Often they are in lots too. I'll round up my others and show you the prints. That helps to find them.

Really hard to find. The open wrist ones are not. One thing is look at the swatch over the snap. If it is big you most likely have a quality one. The swatches are sized down now to tiny.
lflick 10:13 AM 07-29-2013
I had always swaddled my newborns with muslin blankets like these http://www.adenandanais.com/shop/swaddles.aspx and LOVED them. They are breathable and work wonders.

I have also fallen in love with HALO sleep sacks with my most recent baby. I would use one for a dck before a handmade swaddle for liability reasons though.
Tags:cio, cry it out, ferberizing
Reply Up