Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Small Space.... Boring Walls....
lflick 08:48 AM 08-15-2013
Good morning everyone,

As you all know I am relatively new to the daycare jungle.... I have incorporated my business into my families home. My long term goal is to build another building on our property that can be utilized for daycare only. This is of course a long long term goal. In the meantime, I am trying to find ways to liven up my space to make it more appealing to families. I will include some photos I have taken of my space. I have a large cubby area in the entry way that my own kids use for their shoes but it is large enough for dcks as well.

You might be able to see in the photos that my interiors doors do not have the trim hung yet. This is due to the fact we are still coming up on a kitchen renovation and my hubby refuses to hang trim now and have the possibility of a certain style being unavailable when we need more. I am such a perfectionist and am honestly embarrassed by this but whatever. I have a friend who has had her 3 boys in a multitude of in home centers as well as a few commercial centers... I asked her for some honest feedback (no hard feelings to be had) so I knew how/where to improve... asked if there were any red flags as a parent (if an original kitchen was a reflection of laziness).... I know I am likely over-thinking everything and am probably my own worst critic as it's my home... anyways.... if you can take a peak of the photo, which includes a panorama of my family room which is serving double duty as the baby area (pack and play for naps, etc), two jumperoos, a swing, play gym mat, and a bouncer. The other view is of the play room which is connected to the living area and only separated by our couch.(it is longer than it seems as we have a large patio door off to the left of the shelf and the glare makes it hard to get a good pic)... had a table and two chairs, bead maze table, books, and a colored shelf with toys.... currently naps are in the two rooms off of the play area. These are my sons rooms but they are school aged and are not here during nap time unless it is summer anyhow.

The other pic is of the outdoor play equipment. I also have bikes two step two toyboxes and a white picnic table made of pvc, toddler size. Please note the burn pile has been bulldozed back even further out of child sight.

Ideas how to improve? Feedback? I was wondering what thoughts would be to do a bulletin board boarder to the patio door and bedroom doors to hide the trim from my sight for now also to add some color? Thoughts? Wall art suggestions?
Attached: CollageDC.JPG (46.1 KB) 1015398_10152942616620643_2111606660_o.jpg (123.7 KB) securedownload.jpg (32.3 KB) 
daycarediva 09:30 AM 08-15-2013
You can always do large bulletin boards, or use rolls of cork to be able to add fun things to walls without painting.

In my state, you wouldn't be able to be licensed unless that trim was put over, no exposed/broken drywall. I would DEFINITELY put something over that because kids WILL pick at the drywall and eat it.
melilley 10:27 AM 08-15-2013
I agree, I would put up the trim and bulletin boards can be made to look nice and take up space on the wall, plus you can post info for the parents. Also once you get kids, art work looks so cute on the walls! I have an ocean "mural" on my wall with fish, water, "sand" made from brown paper-with their footprints on it so it looks like they walked in it, crabs, water, suns and clouds-all that the children made. It looks so cute!
I love your outdoor space, especially your teeter totter! I want it! Here we have to have something under anything outside that is over 30 inches. Oh also, I can't tell from the pic what is on your coffee table or tv stand, but if it's anything other than toys or books, it won't last there long! Nice spaces!
lflick 10:43 AM 08-15-2013
Thank you. I have rubber mulch on order for under those three areas. The coffee table has an activities book, remotes, and odds and ends of baby toys for easy access. I have 2 kids now, part time for say 5 hours a day, they don't bother anything in the living room and are rarely even in here as we play outside and in the play space often. My main concern is keeping the space home as much as daycare friendly as this is my family home.
Heidi 10:44 AM 08-15-2013
I had each of my families bring me a 5x7 family picture, and bought a cheap collage frame at WM. I also have a few big collage frames (with plastic "glass") with pictures of my dc kids over the years. Since I have had a pretty diverse population, it adds to the diversity component, as well.

You can also find images online of children with differing abilities, or older people, or people of various family arrangements, or people of other races or nationalities. I really, really hate the classroom-ey type stuff like ABC's, etc, on my walls. If you did want some of that, but not to childish, you could stencil or find some sticker-types in black or silver online.

Another decorative item that does double-duty would be a mirror that the children can see into.

Potted plants, real or fake, but out of reach of the littles, of course. I didn't see if you had a window sill, but I always thought it would be cute to have plants on sill, then an acrylic border of sorts to make sure they stay on the sill.

Comfy pillows that are pretty vs. childish could also be cute.
butterfly 10:50 AM 08-15-2013
I agree with the other pp. (trim, mulch, etc)

I'd also make sure your play equipment is anchored. That's a licensing requirement here.

Is your yard fenced?

I'd use bulletin boards or cork squares. You could fill it with the kids art during the week and then send it all home for the weekend. Keeping it clutter free and more home like. - just be careful about what you use for mounting art work. Tacks can be a big safety hazard.
preschoolteacher 11:47 AM 08-15-2013
I love your yard!

I agree with what others wrote. I'd get that trim up!

What about putting a "command center" on the wall? You can take frames in various sizes and line them with cork board, get a whiteboard with matching frame, throw in some framed photographs and arrange them as a gallery wall. That way it will look really nice but still be functional.

We bought this decal from Etsy for $35--it's removable! I love that it adds something to the room... I think it's kind of playful for kids but still can work in an adult room.

https://www.etsy.com/transaction/141...=fb2_tnx_title
lflick 12:01 PM 08-15-2013
My yard is not fenced. I am legally unregulated right now. One thing deterring me from licensing is the fencing, as our yard is HUGE and I prefer not to do so, at least at this point in time.
Josiegirl 03:16 PM 08-15-2013
I love those decals someone shared a link to! One of those would look great on a bare wall!
You have some nice space to work with and lots of good ideas have been offered. I'm so uncreative, sorry.
Don't forget hanging kids' projects from the ceiling too. We've hung butterflies and bumblebees, starfish and jellyfish, snowmen and snowflakes.
Square one 06:15 PM 08-15-2013
Your yard & play equipment are fantastic! I imagine fencing all that in would be quite costly. At least you could write it off though
I'm never considered hanging the kid's artwork or charts. My living space is also my work space. During the week, there are toys bins and such set up. But come 6pm on Friday it is all being packed away. I love that on the weekend the house is just ours, in terms of décor How do those of you who hang things handle that? Do you remove it at the end of the work week?
I wish my home were larger because I imagine the kids love it. Maybe ticky tack is the solution!
Cradle2crayons 06:31 PM 08-15-2013
Originally Posted by Ange:
Your yard & play equipment are fantastic! I imagine fencing all that in would be quite costly. At least you could write it off though
I'm never considered hanging the kid's artwork or charts. My living space is also my work space. During the week, there are toys bins and such set up. But come 6pm on Friday it is all being packed away. I love that on the weekend the house is just ours, in terms of décor How do those of you who hang things handle that? Do you remove it at the end of the work week?
I wish my home were larger because I imagine the kids love it. Maybe ticky tack is the solution!
I send all artwork home on Fridays or the last day of care for the week because I do weekend care as well.
Square one 09:19 AM 08-16-2013
Weekend care? You must have the patience of a saint! I need my downtime. I like your idea of holding onto the artwork & displaying it until Friday. The kids must be so proud to see it hanging. I'm going to hit the craft store this weekend & start checking out my hanging options. Thanks
Square one 09:35 AM 08-16-2013
Weekend care? You must have the patience of a saint! I need my downtime. I like your idea of holding onto the artwork & displaying it until Friday. The kids must be so proud to see it hanging. I'm going to hit the craft store this weekend & start checking out my hanging options. Thanks
Familycare71 09:40 AM 08-16-2013
My main living areas can be 100% dc free when I'm not working. Before we added the dc room I kept things as non dc looking as I could- but I also had younger kids of my own then so their stuff was dc stuff too
I think your areas look good- I think parents want to see space, cleanliness and safety. I agree- cover the drywall with something-
lflick 09:41 AM 08-16-2013
The cost to fence would be outrageous! I have looked into it as I would really like to make my business long term and successful. I have been doing many hours of research to see what would be required. My hubby is placing the trim this weekend, reluctantly but he understands it's just something that needs to be done in order for me to continue my journey. I have looked into classes and they are quite expensive... I wish I knew of a "cheaper" way to obtain these as financially I cannot afford many more additional expenses right now. My goal is to take "baby steps" towards licensing ... ie. taking the required courses such as the shaken baby syndrome, fundamentals, etc.... while at the same time reading the regulations for space and adjusting our projects to comply (if they haven't already) with these requirements.... I know realistically I cannot expect this to all fall into place immediately so I thought by taking small steps it will allow me time to build my business with as little stress as possible. I am very thankful to have these forums and appreciate those that take the time to answer what may be a petty commonsense question to you seasoned vets.
Familycare71 09:48 AM 08-16-2013
Originally Posted by lflick:
The cost to fence would be outrageous! I have looked into it as I would really like to make my business long term and successful. I have been doing many hours of research to see what would be required. My hubby is placing the trim this weekend, reluctantly but he understands it's just something that needs to be done in order for me to continue my journey. I have looked into classes and they are quite expensive... I wish I knew of a "cheaper" way to obtain these as financially I cannot afford many more additional expenses right now. My goal is to take "baby steps" towards licensing ... ie. taking the required courses such as the shaken baby syndrome, fundamentals, etc.... while at the same time reading the regulations for space and adjusting our projects to comply (if they haven't already) with these requirements.... I know realistically I cannot expect this to all fall into place immediately so I thought by taking small steps it will allow me time to build my business with as little stress as possible. I am very thankful to have these forums and appreciate those that take the time to answer what may be a petty commonsense question to you seasoned vets.
Are you required to fence your yard to be licensed?
In NY we have a grant for dc classes if you qualify financially. Also there are free ones on our state website (online courses).
MrsSteinel'sHouse 10:07 AM 08-16-2013
Does your backyard have access to a road? Mine is not fully fenced, just the road side. I have "natural barrier" (bushes and a raised bed going up the backside) on part of it.

I would talk to licensing and find out what you might be able to get covered.
lflick 10:40 AM 08-16-2013
Our property is 8 acres but the immediate yard where we play has a tree line (pine trees) surrounding the entire property. The only opening is the paved driveway which is in the front yard. (We play in the backyard.) I am still considering options such as a gated entrance or whatnot.... something that isn't tacky lol.
Reply Up