Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Shade for Sandbox
Josiegirl 02:33 AM 05-25-2018
My sandbox area is the most popular in the back yard. Unfortunately, it can also be the sunniest up until 4 in the afternoon. I've been looking at the canopies you can buy and know I need to get something. My sandbox is 10 by 10(or 12 by 12, can't remember). Some of those sell for 89(at Ocean State Job Lots) up to 200 or more.
Does anyone have something like that set up for shade? Are they easily knocked down(you know how kids can be), and pretty sturdy? Any comments about them if you do use them or have before? Thanks!!!
Blackcat31 06:30 AM 05-25-2018
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
My sandbox area is the most popular in the back yard. Unfortunately, it can also be the sunniest up until 4 in the afternoon. I've been looking at the canopies you can buy and know I need to get something. My sandbox is 10 by 10(or 12 by 12, can't remember). Some of those sell for 89(at Ocean State Job Lots) up to 200 or more.
Does anyone have something like that set up for shade? Are they easily knocked down(you know how kids can be), and pretty sturdy? Any comments about them if you do use them or have before? Thanks!!!
How about something like this:

Only $65 and free shipping and handling!

Comes in a variety of colors, seems super easy to open and close as well as move around to where ever you are needing it!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Patio-Umb...&wl13=&veh=sem
Mike 07:10 AM 05-25-2018
BC's idea is nice. If you go with a canopy, what you will find different between an $89 one and a $189 one is the structural integrity. i.e. how well it can hold up to kids
lovemykidstoo 07:14 AM 05-25-2018
I use a large beach umbrella. Got it at Bed Bath and Beyond. Normally like $40, but I had a 20% off coupon. It's nice because I can easily take it around the yard. The pole sticks in the ground
Cat Herder 07:22 AM 05-25-2018
I used these https://smile.amazon.com/Quik-Shade-...ds=canopy+tent for a bit, then I planted a white oak from here https://www.fast-growing-trees.com/White-Oak-Tree.htm .

Ironic the price is the same.
hwichlaz 08:48 AM 05-25-2018
If you get that type of Umbrella you’ll also need four weights. Or it’ll tip. Don’t ask how I know.

If there are trees, buildings, fences nearby...you can get a shade sail. You attach with ropes and suspend it above the sand box. Or you can try a beach umbrella.
redmaple 08:54 AM 05-25-2018
We have a few second hand patio table umbrellas. We took large empty buckets and filled them with cement mix and a PVC pipe in the center. Then pop the umbrellas in the PVC pipe.
Jdy2222 08:58 AM 05-25-2018
I have this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 held in with 4x4's. LOVE it, but wish I'd gotten a bigger one, this seemed huge at the time but with the movement of the sun throughout the day bigger is necessary.
lovemykidstoo 10:05 AM 05-25-2018
Originally Posted by redmaple:
We have a few second hand patio table umbrellas. We took large empty buckets and filled them with cement mix and a PVC pipe in the center. Then pop the umbrellas in the PVC pipe.
That's a great idea!
kitkat 04:00 PM 05-25-2018
Originally Posted by redmaple:
That's what we did also. DH also drilled a hole for a screw so that the umbrella wouldn't spin when it was in the tilted position. The buckets are super heavy once the cement is set, so it's not something you're going to want to move around a lot.
Pestle 06:01 PM 05-25-2018
My rock box was kicked to death by kindergarteners last year and I've been using a plastic swimming pool with holes drilled in the bottom for drainage, but my next outdoor project is going to be this. It won't be suitable for more than a couple of a kids at a time, but I've found I need to limit them to 2 anyway since the rocks start to become buckshot when there are more kids than that in there!

http://www.ana-white.com/2015/07/fre...r-ship-sandbox

I have the fabric for the sail already.
Michael 10:18 PM 05-25-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
How about something like this:

Only $65 and free shipping and handling!

Comes in a variety of colors, seems super easy to open and close as well as move around to where ever you are needing it!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Patio-Umb...&wl13=&veh=sem
I have one of these in my back yard. The umbrella is $65 but the four weights (25 lbs each) are about $100 more. The umbrella will also tilt vertically which can be used to keep out the early morning or late afternoon sun. You will need a flat area to place it and the weights or you can also screw it into a wood deck but a big wind could do damage if the base doesn't hold.
Josiegirl 02:51 AM 05-26-2018
Originally Posted by Pestle:
My rock box was kicked to death by kindergarteners last year and I've been using a plastic swimming pool with holes drilled in the bottom for drainage, but my next outdoor project is going to be this. It won't be suitable for more than a couple of a kids at a time, but I've found I need to limit them to 2 anyway since the rocks start to become buckshot when there are more kids than that in there!

http://www.ana-white.com/2015/07/fre...r-ship-sandbox

I have the fabric for the sail already.
Oh that's really cute!

Thanks for all the great advice and ideas. I've been trying to think of a way to use the fencing as 2 sides and then rig a tarp over the other corner but I'm just not sure how to do it. The sandbox kind of sits in a corner near, but still maybe 3' out from, the fencing. I've thought about sinking a post at the opposite side of the corner but I'd have to dig down a ways and seat it in cement. The problem is there's a tree with huge roots all over that area and I'm not sure how the digging would go. Unfortunately, that tree doesn't provide shade most of the day; it's a huge old pine tree that has a lot of lower dead branches. The other side of my yard is beautifully shaded with a huge maple tree and I've thought about moving my sandbox to there but then the other stuff would all be in the sun.

Just thinking aloud here but I wonder if cementing a post in a bucket for the corner would be feasible, then I wouldn't have to dig.
Mike 07:20 AM 05-26-2018
Oh that's really cute!

Thanks for all the great advice and ideas. I've been trying to think of a way to use the fencing as 2 sides and then rig a tarp over the other corner but I'm just not sure how to do it. The sandbox kind of sits in a corner near, but still maybe 3' out from, the fencing. I've thought about sinking a post at the opposite side of the corner but I'd have to dig down a ways and seat it in cement. The problem is there's a tree with huge roots all over that area and I'm not sure how the digging would go. Unfortunately, that tree doesn't provide shade most of the day; it's a huge old pine tree that has a lot of lower dead branches. The other side of my yard is beautifully shaded with a huge maple tree and I've thought about moving my sandbox to there but then the other stuff would all be in the sun.

Just thinking aloud here but I wonder if cementing a post in a bucket for the corner would be feasible, then I wouldn't have to dig.
Using a pail of cement to support the corner of a tarp won't work as well. It'll hold most of the time, but because of the sideways force the tarp will have when its windy, or if it holds rain, the post will probably tip over, unless it was supported for sideways movement as well. That's why a post for that kind of use pretty much needs to be in the ground, for side support. It could work if you have a bucket or something else large in diameter. Maybe a large cat litter tray, or a garbage pail, not filled right up of course, or just make a wood frame for the cement. If your cement base was 2' diameter or square, and 6" deep, it should hold that tarp for you.
Josiegirl 09:04 AM 05-26-2018
Originally Posted by Mike:
Using a pail of cement to support the corner of a tarp won't work as well. It'll hold most of the time, but because of the sideways force the tarp will have when its windy, or if it holds rain, the post will probably tip over, unless it was supported for sideways movement as well. That's why a post for that kind of use pretty much needs to be in the ground, for side support. It could work if you have a bucket or something else large in diameter. Maybe a large cat litter tray, or a garbage pail, not filled right up of course, or just make a wood frame for the cement. If your cement base was 2' diameter or square, and 6" deep, it should hold that tarp for you.
Thanks for that info Mike! I'll have to look around and see if I can find something like that. Other option would be to rig the tarp with a hook that I could hook and unhook whenever we go outside. Something easy that would detach from the cemented post but stay hooked to the fencing.
Mike 10:52 AM 05-26-2018
Thanks for that info Mike! I'll have to look around and see if I can find something like that. Other option would be to rig the tarp with a hook that I could hook and unhook whenever we go outside. Something easy that would detach from the cemented post but stay hooked to the fencing.
Hook is a good idea since you probably wouldn't want the tarp there all the time, plus, in a bad storm you could unhook it and not risk it being damaged.
Ariana 11:47 AM 05-29-2018
Do you have a fence in the area? Sails are a nice alternative and you could probably make your own out of a fabric shower curtain.

I have used a regular patio table umbrella in the past. Now my sand box is in full sun and near my neighbours and he has a vinyl fence so I can’t screw anything into it. There also isn’t much room to open an umbrella. My husband says he can make me four posts on the sandbox corners to put some fabric on but we have not done it yet.
Josiegirl 03:06 PM 05-29-2018
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Do you have a fence in the area? Sails are a nice alternative and you could probably make your own out of a fabric shower curtain.

I have used a regular patio table umbrella in the past. Now my sand box is in full sun and near my neighbours and he has a vinyl fence so I can’t screw anything into it. There also isn’t much room to open an umbrella. My husband says he can make me four posts on the sandbox corners to put some fabric on but we have not done it yet.
My sandbox is in a corner of the backyard and about 2-3' away from the fence on 2 sides, screwing things into my fence wouldn't be a problem but it's that 1 corner of the sandbox that needs a post. I was thinking of using a huge tarp; shower curtain wouldn't be big enough for what I need but I like that idea. It'd be easier to maneuver than a tarp.
Tags:outdoor equipment, sandbox, umbrellas
Reply Up