Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Things Are Starting To Turn Around!!
littlemonkeys 06:57 AM 02-23-2011
I recently posted that I've only been getting calls for part time for weeks now and then the call this week for the late evening care. Well, yesterday the late evening mom was supposed to come for an interview and she didn't call... I was starting to get really discouraged and then I ended up getting not one, but TWO calls for fulltime care... one for an 8 week old and one for a 14 month old. I am so excited!! I'm interviewing the 8 week old on Thursday. Not too thrilled about another baby, but hey, I'll take what I can get at this point. The 14 month old is moving to my area next week and mom wants to interview next Thursday. At this time I only have an opening for 1 infant, but I'm thinking if I can get both of them I'd term one of my other babies that is a non-stop crier. I don't know? That would just break my heart though. I love my kids and think of them as my own... I'd hate to lose any of them.

For my own sanity I'd prefer the 14 month old as I have more kids her age in my daycare, but I'm interviewing the 8 week old 1st and the 14 month olds interview isn't until a week later. How would you handle this? Let's say the 8 week old wants to sign, is there something I can tell her to delay her until after the next interview? It would be so easy if the mom doesn't need care right away.
marniewon 07:12 AM 02-23-2011
Originally Posted by littlemonkeys:

For my own sanity I'd prefer the 14 month old as I have more kids her age in my daycare, but I'm interviewing the 8 week old 1st and the 14 month olds interview isn't until a week later. How would you handle this? Let's say the 8 week old wants to sign, is there something I can tell her to delay her until after the next interview? It would be so easy if the mom doesn't need care right away.
Yes. After the interview, tell her it was nice to meet her, you have a few more interviews to do and you will let her know. Of course, you probably don't want to wait a week to let her know, so maybe that won't work.

If you have an infant that is not fitting well in your group, I would do both the interviews, and decide then. One of the other families that you are interviewing might not be a good fit and then you don't have a decision to make. And if you think the new families will work better, then you can decide if you want to take them and term the baby, or whatever.
Little People 07:15 AM 02-23-2011
I am glad to hear that you are getting calls. For me it always seems I will get 3/5 calls in a week and then nothing for a couple of weeks and then calls again.

Good Luck!! Hope they work out for you!
daycare 07:16 AM 02-23-2011
I would go through the trail period with both children and families before cutting anyone from care.
You may regret terming the crier cuz the new DCK mom is fruit loops. Lol
Is it possible to do that ?
littlemonkeys 07:28 AM 02-23-2011
Originally Posted by marniewon:
Yes. After the interview, tell her it was nice to meet her, you have a few more interviews to do and you will let her know. Of course, you probably don't want to wait a week to let her know, so maybe that won't work.

If you have an infant that is not fitting well in your group, I would do both the interviews, and decide then. One of the other families that you are interviewing might not be a good fit and then you don't have a decision to make. And if you think the new families will work better, then you can decide if you want to take them and term the baby, or whatever.

I guess I could tell her that, but I'm sure the dcm would want to know before a week so you're right... that probably wouldn't work. Hmmmn, what to do!

The crier is only part time and takes up a full time space. I wouldn't give the crier notice until I had a good feeling about both parents. Wish I could just keep them all.

Originally Posted by Little People:
I am glad to hear that you are getting calls. For me it always seems I will get 3/5 calls in a week and then nothing for a couple of weeks and then calls again.

Good Luck!! Hope they work out for you!
Thank you!! I'm the same way too. Get a few calls one week and then nothing for a week or so.

Originally Posted by daycare:
I would go through the trail period with both children and families before cutting anyone from care.
You may regret terming the crier cuz the new DCK mom is fruit loops. Lol
Is it possible to do that ?
I wish that were a possibility, but I would be over ratio for 2- 3 days a week.
marniewon 07:52 AM 02-23-2011
Originally Posted by littlemonkeys:

The crier is only part time and takes up a full time space. I wouldn't give the crier notice until I had a good feeling about both parents. Wish I could just keep them all.

Oh, I didn't realize that the crier was only part time. Yes, definitely do both interviews and if you like both, then term the part timer. It's in my handbook that full timers take precedence over part timers.
Tags:economy, things looking up
Reply Up