Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pick Ups Getting Long
momma2girls 04:42 PM 08-05-2011
Do any of you have a parent- that takes her shoes off, sits in your chair, and waits for her son, to finish playing then reaches her hands out to him, to place his shoes on him?
I have one Mom who does this daily. She did this at the other daycare before she came here as well(it was a friend of mine)
There are times, she just sits and talks, and the little boy runs, and runs, she doesn't care- there have been times, many times actually I have to walk over to him, and take him to Mom- then there are times, I am busy, feeding a baby, or other things, that I cannot do that.
I like to have them all ready for pick up, but I never know what time she is coming- between 1/2 hr. leeway-
Any great suggestions, that I haven't already tried to think of-
sharlan 05:14 PM 08-05-2011
I used to lock and bolt the door once my parents came inside, holding them hostage. I wanted the adult interaction and wouldn't let them leave.

Seriously, I never had problems with a parent hanging out for a few. One mother would sit on the floor and play Legos, or cuddle the kids and read a book. Others would just sit and chat for a few, asking about my day or the kids' day.
AnneCordelia 05:56 PM 08-05-2011
What's the earliest she'll come? That's when I'd put his shoes and coat on.
momma2girls 06:19 PM 08-05-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I used to lock and bolt the door once my parents came inside, holding them hostage. I wanted the adult interaction and wouldn't let them leave.

Seriously, I never had problems with a parent hanging out for a few. One mother would sit on the floor and play Legos, or cuddle the kids and read a book. Others would just sit and chat for a few, asking about my day or the kids' day.
What if it is your closing time already?
momma2girls 06:20 PM 08-05-2011
Originally Posted by AnneCordelia:
What's the earliest she'll come? That's when I'd put his shoes and coat on.
I would do this, and do this if it is closing or next to closing time. I wish I could, but sometimes I would have his shoes on for 1/2 hr. in that case. He can't stay still for 1 min. let alone 1/2 hr. lol!! he would be running all over my house with his shoes on, etc.
sharlan 06:56 PM 08-05-2011
Originally Posted by momma2girls:
What if it is your closing time already?
My hours were always 6 - 6. Most of my parents got there between 4 - 4:30. Rarely did I have a child that stayed until 6. If I had time, I sat down to chit chat, if I didn't, I went along with my business and left them sitting.

I always got rid of parents that I wasn't comfortable with being in my house.
jojosmommy 09:27 PM 08-05-2011
My sister in law does this and I would say it only works if the kids allow it to. When her kids act up it is time to go RIGHT AWAY. It gets very tricky telling a mom/friend that she needs to leave b/c her child's behavior is not in accordance with daycare policies. Plus when your busy with others it takes up a ton of your time.

I would discourage it from the start. One day the kids are great and the next they are doing anything for her/your attention. This is actually the thing I hate most about having my SIL as a client.
Meyou 03:03 AM 08-06-2011
If we happen to be inside at closing time I get all the children that are left to get fully dressed and watch out the front door for Mom and Dad. I have the bags ready to go too. I don't mind chatting but not at closing time. If they arrive right at 5:30 I open the door and push the child out to the parent and don't even let them come in.

If we're outside I'm standing with all my outside "stuff" packed up and the kids are playing without toys again watching for Mom and Dad.
ShortyMom 06:26 AM 08-06-2011
Pretend you are in a rush and say that you need to get everyone out as soon as possible because you have an appointment. Or whatever. OR be frank and tell her that pick-ups need to be quick. She must be under the impression that you don't mind, otherwise she wouldn't do it. :shrug: Perhaps put in a paper with each parent about pick-up policies....do you have a contract about such things?
DaisyMamma 06:36 PM 08-06-2011
I have this problem with one. Shes a friend of a friend so maybe she feels the need to chat. I try to have her baby ready, in his carseat and bag packed. It doesnt help and she arrives at 6pm on the dot (closing time) when she gets out of work at 4:30 a 1/2 hour away
cheerfuldom 06:48 PM 08-06-2011
I have the kid and bag at the door. Pickups are to be made in 5 minutes or less according to my contract. If people have to come in, then you will just need to be frank about the fact that you cannot have her coming in and chatting. She needs to get her kid and go
wdmmom 08:12 PM 08-06-2011
I have the child in hand and meet the parent at the front door. Shoes on, diaper changed and ready to go.

I don't allow my clients to come in beyond the entryway.
PitterPatter 06:18 AM 08-07-2011
My last parent likes to stay and vent about her job and her friends etc. She also liked to take phone calls and roam thru my house while talking. I put a stop to it last month by having the kids outside everyday at pick up time. I meet DCM on my front porch everyday with her sign in sheets on the table. Kids and diaper bag waiting to go. Then when she startes the chatter out there about her family and work etc I say "I gotta get dinner started I'm running late, thanks see u tomorrow. Bye Johnny and Susie" I no longer serve daycare kids dinner they must all be picked up by 5 (I changed my schedule) so this has helped skoot them on their way.

I will have to come up with something new for winter as the kids can't wait outside everyday but this works for now!
MARSTELAC 08:04 AM 08-08-2011
What about morning? I have one scheduled to drop off at 7 everyday and the parents end up staying here forever....today dcp stayed 27 minutes! They just don't leave! I am really having a bad few weeks here...everything is annoying me. I must need a day off. Oh yeah, just had the weekend off....
laundrymom 10:37 AM 08-08-2011
I just tell child, when they come in, ok Brandon, send mom to work, she's busy & so are we. Then open the door. Smile,.... And wait.
MARSTELAC 11:04 AM 08-08-2011
Oh, wish me luck! I am going to do this. It will be hard the first time but I'm sure it will get easier. I will let you know how I do tomorrow! Thank you! If they can stay that long in the a.m., surely I don't need to open as early as I do!
wdmmom 11:39 AM 08-08-2011
At drop offs, the parent will come in and I will greet them, I will then take Lil Johnny and tell Lil Johnny, "Say bye-bye to Mom." We'll see you later. Have a good day! Out the door they go.

I usually have congestion at drop-off's so people are looking to get in and out as quickly as possible.

If this mom is coming and having out for a half hour, she is padding her time in the morning. Is she dropping off at 7am but doesn't have to be to work until 8am? I don't allow padding daycare time so DCM has time to chat with me for a half hour and still has time to stop and get her morning latte.
Unregistered 05:44 PM 08-08-2011
The last dcd that did that ...being here for 20 minutes in the morning and as long or longer at pick up is no longer here...I detested the creepy dad so much I couldn't take it for another day so I picked a fight ( pathetic I know) and made them leave for good...my days are SO much better now without that weight hanging around my neck day after day after day after day...sorry...got carried away....LOL!!
MARSTELAC 04:21 AM 08-09-2011
Not pathetic....sounds like something I would do. Today I will have two dcds that will stay as long as freaking possible! I am going to try to be waiting outside and just tell the dcds that the kids are going to help me carry some food in from our freezer out in the big shed. I don't know why I cannot just speak up.....they must not need to be at work that early. I tried the contracted times but it doesn't work here. Now I found out (via facebook) that one of the dcm's has off today but both of her kids will be here. I normally wouldn't mind but I get messages/calls everyday about how worried she is about her kids (products of recent divorce)...cannot be that worried if dcm doesn't want to spend the day with these little darlings.
PitterPatter 04:33 AM 08-09-2011
Originally Posted by MARSTELAC:
What about morning? I have one scheduled to drop off at 7 everyday and the parents end up staying here forever....today dcp stayed 27 minutes! They just don't leave! I am really having a bad few weeks here...everything is annoying me. I must need a day off. Oh yeah, just had the weekend off....
Morning I am outside watering the flowers or treating the pool, sweeping the porch, something so when they get there she signs them in on the porch. I tell the kids to give mommy hugs so she can get to work. They do so and tell her bye. I close the gate to the yard and if she lingers I continue with telling the kids Mommy has to go to work and to tell Mommy to have a good day. They do so and we go to the far end of the yard. She has lingered and walked in my yard to tell me more gossip etc but I usually try to cut her off by shutting the gate and locking it.

Again once winter comes I will have to have another plan as we are in my house and she doesn't leave!! Even if I stand in the entry and block access she will sit on the stairs and just talk. I do put gates up then. not for the kids but for parents!! Bad part is once in a while a parent will just step right over the gate. That's when I raise is high and leave a gap under. Take a hint lady stop roaming my house! lol

Good luck to u today!
MARSTELAC 04:38 AM 08-09-2011
You too PitterPatter! We need "bouncers"!!!!! When my kids were in daycare I dropped them at the very last minute and picked up as soon as I could after work. I wanted to spend time with my kids! I have one coming today that made such a big deal about the underwear he is bringing for his kids (I swear it took him 20 minutes at pick up last night to discuss) and will be another 20 minutes this morning. Put the d*&^ underwear on the bench and go to work!!!! The longer the parents stay the worse it is for their littles...why don't they get that? Ok, I better stop venting and get ready for a long day!
Meyou 05:17 AM 08-09-2011
I have a DCD here waiting when I open the door everyday. He then stays for 10-15 minutes chit chatting before he goes to work. I think he does it so he doesn't have to manage the kids at home. They also pickup right at close even when they're off early or altogether. The kids come 4 days a week but are here 50 hours a week.

My DH said this morning that he hates the sound of DCD's voice every morning because it annoys DH that he waits outside only to stay and chat with me. DH says he should stay home and get to know his kids instead. lol
Ariana 09:46 AM 08-09-2011
Can you send them a friendly e-mail reminder about what's expected of them? Something along the lines of "I just wanted to remind you of the daycare policy as mentioned in the contract that drop off and pick up are to be as brief as possible. I am finding that when drop off and pick ups linger it is interfering with our schedule...." blah blah something like that?

I had to do this recently for toys from home and making up days that were missed. It quickly got out of hand when I let it slide a few times.
MARSTELAC 11:40 AM 08-09-2011
Laundry & WD....I did it! I met the families outside and had the kids immediately say goodbye....x dad and x dad need to get to going so they are not late for work. I could tell the dcd's were a little put off....too bad, so sad. I am actually having a good day now!
Thank you all!!!!!

Ariana: I had to send a reminder copy of the payment policy home yesterday. It worked also! What would I do if I didn't have you all???
Stacy214 12:20 PM 08-09-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:

I actually let them go, however, my husband says I am the biggest "Chatty Patty " he knows!

I welcome my parents or any other adult that wants to chat...most times lol...Seriously though I will just kindly tell them if I have to leave or get busy with something and they're always gracious.
wdmmom 12:35 PM 08-09-2011
I think if I had parents lingering I would probably ask them if they were going to be late for work. If they didn't seem to worry about it, I would ask them if they needed to change their drop off time to later in the morning because they clearly have too much time before they need to be into work!

I very specifically ask the parents where they work and where they live and their work hours during the interview.

If they work 7am - 4pm and they work within 5 miles of my home, they don't need to be dropping off any earlier than 645am and picking up no later than 415pm. I don't allow a cushion or padding.
Tags:changing of the guard, early pick up, lingering parents, pick up policy
Reply Up