Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help Me Out Here
erinalexmom 10:17 AM 08-23-2011
Ok, its so funny cause I wanted to get rid of school agers last week but they actually turned out better than I thought because the youngest has ADHD and the day I had him he didnt have his medicine. Well he has had it ever since and he has been wonderful so that all worked out.
However, I have a new 2 year old today and I already know for sure this will NOT work out! He still sleeps with his mother every night and he doesnt take naps. Im sorry but that will not work for me I already work a 12 hour day. I HAVE to have the break in the middle of the day. So I need to talk to this mom at pickup today. I thought about saying that he is miserable (which he is) and I know that he will never be happy here, he would be better in a one on one situation. Help me out to be kind and make it my fault. lol
cheerfuldom 10:52 AM 08-23-2011
Did you not know that he doesn't take naps before you took him? Do you have the space to let him CIO and get used to naps? Other than that, if you term, you have to realize that no parent is ever going to take hearing a "no" very well. You just have to be confident that this is the best decision for you and him, regardless of how the parent feels. You can't wait to have that validation from the parents because 99% of the time, they are not going to ever agree with you.
CheekyChick 01:48 PM 08-23-2011
If you know for SURE, I would tell her:

I have been caring for children for a long time and I am sorry to say that I don't feel this situation will work for your son. He is just not happy in a group setting. I feel he would thrive with one-on-one care. Blah, blah, blah...
erinalexmom 04:12 PM 08-23-2011
Do you think that if I let him cry it out he will get used to it?He will only be here 2x's a week and I know his mom will not switch from sleeping with him. Anyone have luck with doing things different as far as sleep at daycare and home? I talked to mom at pick up. Told her that he wasnt happy but we'll see how it goes. I am letting her know right away that if it doesnt work out I am letting him go. She's a very sweet mom and she is going to see how it works and didnt take it personal. So that went well. She has plenty of backup in case it doesnt work and she wants him happy here or she wants to put him back with grandma. So lets see how it goes. How long do you give them to use to a nap? I already am ok with terming if I need to. My little group is going well and I am full and I dont need the $ so I cant let him mess up our groove lol
cheerfuldom 05:07 PM 08-23-2011
So the chances of a part timer learning to nap at your house when they have never done that before and mom is still co-sleeping at home are about not very good at all. In fact, it would be a miracle as far as daycare is concerned. Its a rare kid that can do that and it would take a long time I think. Honestly, I would just term.
Oneluckymom 08:28 PM 08-23-2011
I would see how it goes. Im sure the mom wants to him to have some new daycare experiences...like interactions with other kids. Chilean usually adjust given a fair amount of time and this is still fresh for DCK. I say give it a shot for a few weeks. I'd say he should doing better about the third week. Good luck!
Tags:adhd, adhd - medication, bad fit, school-age
Reply Up